Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

BuddyThomas

So the only project the songwriters worked on was a fake Bridgerton Musical for TikTok ?!? That doesn't sound inspiring, and here I thought you can't get any lower than getting a pop music songwriter.
What are you even taking about? Pop music songwriters contribute to or write musicals all the time. Examples: Cyndi Lauper who won every award around for Kinky Boots. Billie Eilish, who is winning every award around for her contribution to Barbie. As to Moana, these people are not exactly chopped liver: Music by Grammy winners Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear, Grammy nominee Opetaia Foa’i, and three-time Grammy winner Mark Mancina.

Facts matter.

Farerb

Makes you wonder if the Tiana series might be reworked into a standalone theatrical sequel.
As much as I love Princess and the Frog, it's not a popular IP (unlike Moana which is the most watched movie on any streaming platform), I don't see a theatrical sequel becoming a success.
Moreover, Disney doesn't have the pipeline to make full length hand drawn features anymore, I assume the series will use cel shading if it's not cancelled.

MoonRakerSCM

The last time Disney shoehorned a TV series into a movie it was spectacular.

1707381281950.jpeg

I can't wait for Moana and friends to end up in a haunted Norwegian village fighting a kraken... then they'll be called to the old west to fend off wind coyotes and help an old prospector.

Ghost93

The lack of Lin-Manuel Miranda has me VERY concerned as his music was a large part of the appeal of the first movie. And I am more skeptical about pop music artists writing a musical after the mostly lackluster songs of Wish (although I did like "Knowing What I know Now).

Hopefully, we all come away pleasantly surprised. Maybe this will end up like Toy Story 2, which was originally meant to be direct-to-VHS before wiser heads prevailed.

Phroobar

Hopefully, we all come away pleasantly surprised. Maybe this will end up like Toy Story 2, which was originally meant to be direct-to-VHS before wiser heads prevailed.
The odds of that are approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one.

Ghost93

The odds of that are approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one.
My fear is that it will be more like Return to Neverland or the Jungle Book 2 — which had the quality of direct-to-video sequels but somehow managed to sneak their way into theaters.

At least the plot of Moana 2 sounds more interesting than many of the Disney sequels in that it's not a child of the protagonist of the first movie learning the same life lessons, and it's not a holiday themed midquel where Moana has to battle an evil pipe organ. But that's a low bar to clear.

Lirael

You'd think they'd have learned from Wish that hiring nobodies to do generic songs is a bad idea... but no, here comes Moana without LMM or any of the original folks that made it great...

I guess it's at least an improvement over live action remake, but that bar is so low...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The lack of Lin-Manuel Miranda has me VERY concerned as his music was a large part of the appeal of the first movie. And I am more skeptical about pop music artists writing a musical after the mostly lackluster songs of Wish (although I did like "Knowing What I know Now).

Unlikely, IMO. If this was being developed for Disney+, and in the middle they decided to make it a theatrical release, I don't see how will magically be worth being up on the big screen.

Disstevefan1

Bob Iger has announced the Disney+ animated series is being turned into a theatrical release on November 27, 2024.

Here's the announcement for Moana 2.

I presume they cancelled the live action remake. This is a smart move in my opinion

The series for Disney+ cost as much or maybe more than the movie. That massive cost is off Disney+ books, helping Disney+'s climb out of the hole and on to profitability.

So the cost of the movie is now on the studio. And maybe, just maybe, if they can manage the costs to make and market the movie, they can make money at the box office.

Communicora

Premium Member

I'm right there with you. The lack of LMM has me worried.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom