Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

Snow Queen 83

I think Moana 2 might be another stinker. Since I've been hearing it was made at a lower quality, because it was supposed to be a tv show.

Tha Realest

At worst we can always disregard it as one of those DTVs they did for most of the classics 20 years ago.
No, “the worst” is that it diminishes the cultural cache this film presently enjoys as a cornerstone of their recent animated hits, and is another data point on the perception of degraded quality of Disney animation and another stinker at the box office.

Tha Realest

Since when are Disney+ shows movie quality? I guess they are for Disney.
The consensus is that TV animation is always of a lower quality than what is released theatrically. This is underscored by the outsourcing to a studio that’s not Burbank or Pixar, and the fact that none of the principal talent is presently involved with this film which is set to hit theaters in 9 months.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The consensus is that TV animation is always of a lower quality than what is released theatrically. This is underscored by the outsourcing to a studio that’s not Burbank or Pixar, and the fact that none of the principal talent is presently involved with this film which is set to hit theaters in 9 months.
Not even the B Team... :facepalm:

Farerb

No, “the worst” is that it diminishes the cultural cache this film presently enjoys as a cornerstone of their recent animated hits, and is another data point on the perception of degraded quality of Disney animation and another stinker at the box office.
Do you think it happened to Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King?

I already view it as lesser than the original because Musker and Clements aren't involved.

Ghost93

I’m sorry, but…Dwayne Johnson is “in talks”? LMM not coming back, nor are the directors? A ten second teaser 9 months out?

This smells like a rush job
It would make more sense for them to delay the film a year to ensure it's perfect as a well-reviewed film will keep the brand going strong where a weak film would harm it.

Ghost93

Do you think it happened to Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King?

I already view it as lesser than the original because Musker and Clements aren't involved.
I believe that the direct-to-video sequels of the 90s and early 2000s played a role in general audiences turning against hand-drawn animation and viewing it as something only for little kids.

Phroobar

I believe that the direct-to-video sequels of the 90s and early 2000s played a role in general audiences turning against hand-drawn animation and viewing it as something only for little kids.
This is totally true. They devalued their animation with cheap outsourced animation. Same thing is happening here.

Farerb

This is totally true. They devalued their animation with cheap outsourced animation. Same thing is happening here.

There is no alternative to CGI other than going back to hand drawn and that would be a welcome development.

Tha Realest

Those animated sequels were made for DTV, and not marketed as theatrical releases. There are varying degrees of quality there, but none are as good critically or artistically as their theatrical precedents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom