MNSSHP

tractorm3

Original Poster
I was hoping to get some advice on MNSSHP. I have been an avid Disney go-er but have never gone to this. Just found out when I go on my Honeymoon in sept we have the chance to do it. That was a great added bonus to such a great trip already!

So can you all give me some general advice reviews of it? I read what it is online but how does it play out in reality? It says most rides are open, how are the waits and crowds? any other tips with our giving to much away would be great!

Thanks again

Grumps

We went last year and really enjoyed it. We walked right on to rides, waited some for the trick or treat lines but not long, we did not wait to meet the villains though. The parade was great, my favorite disney parade by far.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This is what I know if of it based on what I hear around here and from being there.

• It's the most highly regard EVENT around here even beating out MVMCP
  • It has one of the most highly regarded parades (headless horseman? he!! yes!)
  • The fireworks are very cool.
  • The soundtrack | music to the fireworks is even cooler
  • The trick or treating is an added plus with name brand candy
  • If you like character meet and greets you will be in heaven (7 dwarfs all in one place? he!! yes!)
  • If it sells out it will be busy as all get out.
  • We were there on one of the only sold out nights in September last year, but it rained for a good portion of the night so it was not busy at all.
  • The headless horseman does not ride when it's 'slippery' out.
  • We enjoyed it but my wife and kids were not bugging me to do it again this year.
  • I may surprise them with a set of tickets to it this year anyway.

That's all I got for you. Hope that helps.

Mukta

I do not ride rides when I attend MNSSHP. I can do that anytime.

I watch the parade. Get a spot 20 minutes before so that you can see the headless horseman.

I watch the villains stage show. i meet and greet the villains after that.

I ride HM and spend some time talking to the ghost out front.

I trick or treat.

I get photos with the characters.

I watch the special fireworks show.

Todd L

I was hoping to get some advice on MNSSHP. I have been an avid Disney go-er but have never gone to this. Just found out when I go on my Honeymoon in sept we have the chance to do it. That was a great added bonus to such a great trip already!

So can you all give me some general advice reviews of it? I read what it is online but how does it play out in reality? It says most rides are open, how are the waits and crowds? any other tips with our giving to much away would be great!

Thanks again
Man I Gotta say It is one of my favorite Disney memories. We went in 2011 and Had such a great time. Its all fantastic and well done. The Parade is just insane and The Villians show infront of the Castle is pretty neat too. My kids loved the trick or treating and we all had a great time...Hope to go again soon!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

JohnD

I do not ride rides when I attend MNSSHP. I can do that anytime.

I watch the parade. Get a spot 20 minutes before so that you can see the headless horseman.

I watch the villains stage show. i meet and greet the villains after that.

I ride HM and spend some time talking to the ghost out front.

I trick or treat.

I get photos with the characters.

I watch the special fireworks show.

Never gone before. Going in late Sept. Agree that I'd be missing all the activities from the party if I went on rides. However, would like to ride a few anyway, if only to free up my "regular" day at MK later in the week.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I love MNSSHP!!!!

• The parade is the best!
  • My DD loves the dance parties.
  • Music playing in the park adds to the fun. Who doesn't want to hear The Police singing "everything she does is magic" while waiting to meet Timon?!
  • Trick-or-Treating throughout the MK is simply whimsical. They will give every member in your party a bag, but DD loved using a recyclable bag purchased from DTD store.
  • Villians Mix and Mingle is great.
  • Hallowishes is amazing.
  • The CMs seem to be as happy as the guests.
  • Getting your picture taken with Cindy's Coach is a rare and memorable photo.
  • Getting your picture taken with the hitchhiking ghost is another rare and memorable experience.
  • Getting pictures with the Princesses and their princes.
  • Ride lines are almost nonexistent.
  • Most all children are dressed up and lots of adults wear costumes or some type of Halloween shirt and accessories. It's a most festive time!
It can be crowded which could have an effect on your experience. My strategy has been to go to hard ticket events on nights with no discounts, and that strategy has worked so far with it not being overly crowded. We don't go to a park on the day we go to MNSSHP either. We sleep in and hang by the pool. Then we make our way to MK at 4:00, that is when they start letting people in for the party. Day crowd levels tend to be lower on party days, so it's a good time to ride the rides from 4-7 and also to grab a bite to eat. I don't spend my party time stopping to eat dinner. There's just too much to do and see during the party to stop for dinner.

twinfo3728

We have attended 4 in the past years and plan on attending this season as well!
First of all, we like to go during the week to avoid weekend and local crowds. Everyone is welcome to come dressed up or in regular clothes (my husband wears a Halloween shirt, and that is as far as he will go :) ). You see all kinds of costumes from store bought to elaborate home made and everything in between. Families really get into it with Toy Story, The Incredibles and we have even seen the entire Scooby Doo crew!

The lines are very minimal and worth the extra money to us. We ride our favorites a couple of times and enjoy the other activities.

There is a stage show performed a couple of times during the evening with Mickey, Minnie and a bunch of Villains! The parade runs twice and is VERY good. We love the Haunted Mansion grave diggers! All the characters are in costumes. We prefer to watch the parade in Liberty Square. Get a good view so you can see the Headless Horsemen.

Through out the park are multiple candy spots. In the past they were highlighted with a large orange balloon. You can choose to trick or treat or not. We usually only get one treat bag for the three of us and fill it spots, basically when we need a snack. We fly to Orlando so no need to get a lot and have to try to pack it. I can get candy at home. Some spots have all chocolate, some hard candies, etc. When you leave they are usually out front by the turnstiles handing out candy as well.

There are very exciting character spots that you normally do not get to partake in. For instance we waited almost 45 minutes to get a family picture with all seven dwarfs! It was awesome. Our turn came up and the dwarfs became real characters, dancing with my son, taking my husbands hat, giving my the stone jewel props. It took the handlers about 5 to 7 minutes to get them under control again so we could take a picture. I will never forget that evening!
We have also gotten our picture with Pooh and gang. It was Piglet, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and I think Rabbit. They bring out multiple characters in spots that you normally don't get to see together.

There is a special picture spot near the Pirates of the Caribbean. Look for a PhotoPass Photographer and ask about magic or special shots he has. We have one with Captain Hook and the Hitchhiking Ghost! I am not sure they still do the Ghost, it was quite a few years ago but if they do it is probably near the Haunted Mansion.

To complete the evening there is a special fireworks show!

Fall is our favorite time of year so we love all the fall decorations around the World. Hope this helps! Have a wonderful time and Happy Honeymoon!

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I think it's a spectacular and magical event. You get on most of the rides with a much shorter wait time than you would during the day. And Hallowishes and Boo to You are both really cool. There's different characters out than the ones that appear during a typical MK day. And trick-or-treating in Magic Kingdom is pretty fantastic, in my opinion.
You should definitely go. I give it 5/5 stars :)

luv

Some rides are open, but if you're there to see all the MNSSHP stuff, you won't have much time for rides. If you don't care about the party stuff, you should be able to ride all the open rides.

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List...

(This is just my personal thing and not official in any way. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.)

1. Headless Horseman - he rides before the parades and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2012 parades were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. The villains sing and dance on the castle stage and them come down for brief meet n greets. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! But the show is good.

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen.

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite is the one where you stand in a hitchhiking pose and they add the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs. A lot of people start lining up for the dwarfs before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters.

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. (I personally think they are kind of ugly and wouldn't bother, but to each, his own. ) There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...-scary-halloween-party-ticket-now-on-sale.htm

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cure, too. Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want. Last year's map: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...t-so-scary-halloween-party-guide-map-2012.htm

Weather - it can be very hot (especially September or early in October) and it can get cold (especially later in the month).

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy! ($15)

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

Have a great time!!!!

Goofnut1980

question... I have not attended the Villains Mix and Mingle... can you get your picture with the Villains??? And do you have to use your own camera or is there PP photographers?

thomas998

If you are in Sept. the lines should be very short. If you were going in October they sell out on some dates very near Halloween and the park can be crowded.

Candy if you are wanting to do the trick or treat portion is a complete mixed bag. We have gone when they were pretty much handing out full sized candy bars and other nights of the same year they were handing out non-known candy I would have been ashamed to hand out at to people.

If you are into the meet and greet type stuff then verify that they are doing 2 parades the night you are there and hit the meet and greets during the first parade. Crowds will be thinner toward the beginning and get to be long midway thru... They can get shorter as it gets closer to the end of the party but some character will have already closed up shop and left for the night before the party is over (mostly true for the one wearing the full costumes like Pooh).

If you choose to wear a costume remember that it will still be hot, my family failed to think about the heat our first time and nearly killed ourselves by wearing costumes that were way to hot for Florida.

jdnetone

My wife and I went for the first time last year on Halloween night. We had a blast we were on our 30th anniversary trip and took advantage of the timing. It had been a long time since we have been trick or treating and we had lots of fun. The headless horseman and the parade are great and the wishes fireworks are the icing on the cake. We did a lot of character meet n greets and all the seven dwarfs together. My vote would be GO you will have a blast. :)

WV_Jayola

The first time I ever stepped foot into one of the parks was a night, and it was for MNSSHP. I honestly fell in love with Walt Disney World almost immediately, and a big part of that was the Party. Walking onto Mainstreet USA and seeing ghosts dancing across the buildings while "This is Halloween" from NBC was playing, and seeing everyone all dressed in their costumes made my jaw hit the floor. As the night went on, I knew that nothing would ever be the same again, and I was officially a "Disney person". That was 2006. I've been to four parties since then. Would be going again this year, but we're going for the Christmas season this time. Gonna try out the MVMCP.

MissM

My tips:

#1 - Wear a costume! You do NOT have to be a kid to dress up. It's so much fun to be in MK, dressed up and trick-or-treating as an adult. Most people will dress up to some degree (some to epic proportions) so it's not like you're going to look weird or stick out. It really adds to the fun and Disney is the place it's ok to have fun and be silly.

#2 - Wear comfortable shoes! Regardless of your costume, still wear your park shoes like sneakers or whatever. Even if it does not even remotely go with your outfit, it's ok. A lot of people are smart enough to also wear their sneakers with their costumes and those that aren't regret it because you still do a lot of standing/walking and those awesome boots or heels or whatever that look great are going to make you miserable.

#3 - Pick accessories carefully! Avoid anything that bulks you up or makes it hard to get into rides, in crowds, etc. For example, I wore a par of angel wings and it was a gigantic pain in the tush. They got in the way of walking through crowds, people kept bumping into them, I had to keep taking them off if I wanted to ride anything, etc. It sucked. So think about practicality and maneuvering in crowds when you plan your custom/accessories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom