MLB 2015 Discussion

Lucky

That will be a huge mess for everyone involved. Luhnow and the Astros look bad because he may have taken Cardinals IP with him when he left. Whether he did or not Cards employees obviously shouldn't be hacking into Astros computer systems. How high up in the Cards management this goes will be a big issue.

Fun but irrelevant fact...my best friend at work was in Luhnow's HS class.

Lucky

image.jpg

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ines-shows-pete-rose-bet-baseball-player-1986

For 26 years, Pete Rose has kept to one story: He never bet on baseball while he was a player.

Yes, he admitted in 2004, after almost 15 years of denials, he had placed bets on baseball, but he insisted it was only as a manager.

But new documents obtained by Outside the Lines indicate Rose bet extensively on baseball -- and on the Cincinnati Reds -- as he racked up the last hits of a record-smashing career in 1986. The documents go beyond the evidence presented in the 1989 Dowd report that led to Rose's banishment and provide the first written record that Rose bet while he was still on the field.

"This does it. This closes the door," said John Dowd, the former federal prosecutor who led MLB's investigation.

The documents are copies of pages from a notebook seized from the home of former Rose associate Michael Bertolini during a raid by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in October 1989, nearly two months after Rose was declared permanently ineligible by Major League Baseball. Their authenticity has been verified by two people who took part in the raid, which was part of a mail fraud investigation and unrelated to gambling. For 26 years, the notebook has remained under court-ordered seal and is currently stored in the National Archives' New York office, where officials have declined requests to release it publicly.

Rose, through his lawyer, Raymond Genco, issued a statement: "Since we submitted the application earlier this year, we committed to MLB that we would not comment on specific matters relating to reinstatement. I need to maintain that. To be sure, I'm eager to sit down with [MLB commissioner Rob] Manfred to address my entire history -- the good and the bad -- and my long personal journey since baseball. That meeting likely will come sometime after the All-Star break. Therefore at this point, it's not appropriate to comment on any specifics." Bertolini's lawyer, Nicholas De Feis, said his client is "not interested in speaking to anyone about these issues."

Welp

Lucky

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com | @AdamMcCalvy | 1:39 PM ET

Former Major Leaguer Darryl Hamilton was killed Sunday, police in Pearland, Texas, have confirmed, in what was an apparent murder-suicide.

The Houston Chronicle and other news outlets in Houston reported that the bodies of Hamilton, 50, and 44-year-old Monica Jordan were discovered Sunday at a home in Pearland, just south of Houston. Also in the home was the couple's young child, who was unharmed.

Investigators told the Chronicle it appeared to be a murder-suicide. Hamilton was shot several times and Jordan died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the newspaper reported.

"All of us at Major League Baseball are shocked and saddened by this tragedy," Commissioner Rob Manfred said. "Darryl followed a successful 13-year career on the field by assembling a multifaceted career in our game, working for MLB Advanced Media and in our baseball operations department before moving on to MLB Network. He was a talented and personable individual, and we were proud to call him a member of the Baseball Family. On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my deepest sympathies to Darryl's family and his many friends throughout our game."

Hamilton was an 11th-round Draft pick of the Brewers in 1986 who made his Major League debut in 1988 and became a big league regular during the second half of the 1990 season. A strong defensive player with speed who manned all three outfield positions, he batted .291 during a playing career that began with parts of seven seasons in Milwaukee before stints with the Mets, Rockies, Giants and Rangers.

Hamilton appeared in the postseason four times with three different clubs, including in 2000 with the Mets, for whom he played in the World Series. He hit 51 home runs and had 454 RBIs and 163 stolen bases in 1,328 regular-season games

"Darryl Hamilton joined MLB.com in 2003 and distinguished himself with his insight, experience, humor and team spirit," said Bob Bowman, president of business and media for MLB. "As an analyst at MLB Network since 2013, he found a new role in which he excelled. In addition to being a consummate professional, he was a good friend to all at MLB.com and MLB Network, and he will be sorely missed."

Hamilton also had experience in the broadcast booth, working radio broadcasts for the Angels and later for the Brewers. He provided color commentary on 29 of Milwaukee's radio broadcasts in 2014 after the Hall of Fame voice of the Brewers, Bob Uecker, cut back his travel schedule.

"We are saddened by the tragic death of Darryl Hamilton," the Mets said in a statement. "Darryl's vibrant personality made him a key member of our postseason teams in 1999 and 2000. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

WDW Guru

So i just came back from the O's game a couple hours ago...18-2 and setting the record for most hits in franchise history

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
All I want to say is that the Orioles are going to win the AL East.

I doubt that, as we really dont have the pitching to run away with the division like we did last year. 2nd Wild Card spot though? Highly probable. Just have to stay consistent and not go on an 8 game losing streak once we get hot.

WDW Guru

I doubt that, as we really dont have the pitching to run away with the division like we did last year. 2nd Wild Card spot though? Highly probable. Just have to stay consistent and not go on an 8 game losing streak once we get hot.
Yea when I wrote that, I didn't think that the Blue Jays were gonna stack their lineup and the Yankees were going to be able to keep up with everybody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom