MK Testing New Entry Scans

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
This just in from my son (who's a CP) at WDW....

Apparently they are testing a new entry scans at the Magic Kingdom. Instead of the two finger biometric squeeze scans, they are testing a one finger fingerprint scan.

Details to follow when I get them.

napnet

Might as well, you can buy a keyboard with a fingerprint scanner for 60 bux at Best Buy now... Seems like a better option and might be quicker.

DisneyCane

This won't cause too many lawsuits from the "privacy advocates." Even if the print data is only tied to ticket numbers and not to names you can bet the ACLU will be all over this.........unfortunately.

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
Not if they're using a biometrics system and not actually recording fingerprints. We have those at work and no one has challenged it and it's quite common.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think Universal already uses these - and if they're the same ones, then they're worse than the current system. I've never seen anyone's scan work properly at Universal.

browniebee

DisneyCane said:
This won't cause too many lawsuits from the "privacy advocates." Even if the print data is only tied to ticket numbers and not to names you can bet the ACLU will be all over this.........unfortunately.

Unfortunately they probably will. :brick:

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
banimall said:
I still think those readers are psychological and don't actually do anything

When they had them set up for the AP's...they worked fine and acutally did what they were supposed to do.

goofntink

Doesn't take a fingerprint, it's a biometric device similar to the one's already in place that use 2 fingers. Suppose to help speed up entry process. Problem with 2 finger scanner was having to get guests to squeeze their fingers together for the machine to work properly. Guests with arthritis, disabilities ,and children had the most problem with the machines,also helps keep away the lawyers who like to find the smallist situation that may go against ADA requirements. That has been a BIG problem lately here in Central Fl

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
bgraham34 said:
If they do the fingerprint scan I will have to join a lawsuit in this. Either that or i wont be going to Disney.

Relax....you've got nothing to worry about. Besides...they already have more than enough information on you.

wannab@dis

Biometric scanners do NOT read/view/store actual fingerprints. They generate a mathmatical representation of the fingerprint that cannot be reversed back to a fingerprint image. The first time it is used, it stores the numerical template that can be compared to subsequent usage. There are no privacy issues involved.

I'm currently working with biometrics for a web-based application and I would be interested in learning what vendor WDW has selected.

SewIn2Disney

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting the big deal with the finger print scanner. Why is everyone making a big fuss over it, and why would Disney need to impliment something like this in the first place?

Captain Chaos

bgraham34 said:
If they do the fingerprint scan I will have to join a lawsuit in this. Either that or i wont be going to Disney.

You are from NJ.. then go enjoy Sux Flags.. I mean, Six Flags... That will mean less people for me to wait behind....

The ACLU is the great evil in this country...

Captain Chaos

SewIn2Disney said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not getting the big deal with the finger print scanner. Why is everyone making a big fuss over it, and why would Disney need to impliment something like this in the first place?

To make sure people don't rob their services??

Wait until they implement face recognition cameras .. The same kind that is currently in use where the camera matches your face to the FBI databank of wanted criminals and terrorists....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
bgraham34 said:
Why?

Even if it did record an image of your thumb print (which it does not) what evil could befall you, or in the case of the lawsuit you mentioned monetary damage imposed on you, from having a thumb print in a database or tied to your ticket?

Hurricane

DisneyCane said:

What constitutional civil liberty has been violated by Disney implementing biometric scanning? As a private company the Disney corporation can do just about anything legal they please. Don't like it? Tough. Go to a carnival, they won't take your fingerprint there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom