MK Sky Ride

raiden

Well, I can tell you for sure that everything is still up there (buckets, cables, and all)... I was just up there a few weeks ago.

The twelve years thing is what we were told by Disney as to the reason why the "killer" bucket is still up there all wrapped in tape and whatnot.

There's also a crate up there that supposedly contains half of the Timekeeper animatronic...

Do you or does anyone have pictures of this??

KDM31091

The bucket which the CM got killed in, with the caution tape and whatnot, is still there? That's crazy. The ride closed months after that happened...did they just remove that bucket right when the incident occured or something?

Castle Cake Apologist

Lol, I honestly have no idea... I just know what Disney told us and what I saw for myself when I poked around up there.

No pictures though... that would be instant termination, hardcore... ha.

kucarachi

Well as dangerous as the sky cabs could be, nobody ever died from riding them. I count a handful of deaths from MS, RnR, and a few others. They keep those going. Im sure they could have come up with a better looking version of the cabs without so much exposed metal. THey need them more at epcot, it really is ridiculous the amount of walking you have to do per exciting ride they have. And all the walking is at the least exciting part of the park. They need some kind of people mover that you can sit down on cause my bunions still hurt from last year!

brkgnews

Well as dangerous as the sky cabs could be, nobody ever died from riding them. I count a handful of deaths from MS, RnR, and a few others. They keep those going. Im sure they could have come up with a better looking version of the cabs without so much exposed metal. THey need them more at epcot, it really is ridiculous the amount of walking you have to do per exciting ride they have. And all the walking is at the least exciting part of the park. They need some kind of people mover that you can sit down on cause my bunions still hurt from last year!

There was, indeed, a CM death, though. That notwithstanding, they were notoriously difficult to EVAC in case of the ride going 101. A dark ride or even a coaster is fairly easy to evac since there is some place to walk out. Even the flume/boat rides could be drained in a worst-case scenario, providing dry land. For the sky buckets, it's either hang around (literally) for hours until its fixed, or call in Reedy Creek. And a cherry picker truck or scissor lift in the middle of Ye Olde Fantasyland ain't too magical.

As for EPCOT, that's not a bad idea. Sky rides weren't uncommon at some of the World's Fairs. A peoplemover would also be nice. As a matter of fact, early visions of the park had a peoplemover traveling between World Showcase (which was originally planned as the "focus" of the park once it was agreed that EPCOT Center [now known as future world] and World Showcase should NOT be separate parks). But that got scrapped when the concept for World Showcase changed from a communicore-shaped set of semi-circles to a more spread-out set of architectural pavilions. They did have the double decker buses for a while circling the WS lagoon, but those went the way of the dodo.

The Fantasyland Skyway Station backs up HM and IASW
That's what I get for drive-by forum reading... I was thinking of the Tomorrowland station, which backs up to CoP. But bulldozing the attractions near the Fantasyland station would also be a bad thing.

wedway71

I rode these all the time.......

I do remember being able to see backstage areas-especially 20k Leagues-I have pics of backstage of the attraction( a big boxy building).

I can see whay they closed it down too..... When I was in 5th grade my class took a trip to WDW -circa 1980-81 and the kids I was with thought it would be real funny to dump ice from there drinks onto people on the ground or screaming to people then hiding in the cups. For the record I didnt participate in that-I was always such a good boy.:D

WDWRocks08

I loved this ride but i always felt as though the Magic Kingdom lost a lage part of its splendour when seen from above.... The Buildings were rather plain but this was definately a nice addition to the park. I doubt it was liability factors mainly because other parks still have working rides similiar to this and b/c of the ski resort point brought up earlier.:)

Kristamouse

I am trying to think of where in TL the other stop was?? Can some one explain it again or is the bulding gone? I stroller park in FL so I know that one but then end hmmm I can't place it by COP??
Krista Mouse's Mind's Eye must not be working today.

mrerk

Premium Member
I am trying to think of where in TL the other stop was?? Can some one explain it again or is the bulding gone? I stroller park in FL so I know that one but then end hmmm I can't place it by COP??
Krista Mouse's Mind's Eye must not be working today.

It is the building to your right as you are heading towards Space Mountain. There are restrooms and a closed shop on the lower level. The boarding area was up some stairs on the second level.

DWsecrets.net

Future Skyway Ride Replacement

I am not sure if I have the name right and I apologize in advance but why did they get rid of the sky ride....... I only rode it once but it was such a cool thing to do

I was recently watching the Disneyland Secrets Stories and Magic DVD. In the commentary section with Tony Baxter, he comments on how wonderful the Skyway was but that it was prone to maintenance. He goes on to say how much guests enjoyed both Disneyland's and WDW's and that Disney needs something that "gets guests up in the air". He states that he is sure it will happen but it's not one of the priorities.

So maybe there is hope yet. :)

MrBug

I was recently watching the Disneyland Secrets Stories and Magic DVD. In the commentary section with Tony Baxter, he comments on how wonderful the Skyway was but that it was prone to maintenance. He goes on to say how much guests enjoyed both Disneyland's and WDW's and that Disney needs something that "gets guests up in the air". He states that he is sure it will happen but it's not one of the priorities.

N1, let's hope they come up with something. If IOA can keep Pteranodon Flyers running, Disney oughta be able to hack something together...

marinoalulema

Account Suspended
i loved the skyway ride

since i started going to disney in the early 70s i have to tell you, i loved the skyway ride

it was one of the highlights of the trip, my most fond memory was getting stuck in a car with by bf during a rain/electrical storm

they stopped the ride and we were all stranded in our cars, it was the most romantic of all the visits i ever took

just sitting there with the rain sprinking down (not a downpour) looking down and around at the empty park (most ran and hid indoors) holding hands and just enjoying the 20 minutes like it was an eternity

aaahhh, good times

ChrisQ

I loved the Skyway back in the day myself, but I don't think I really miss it.

Going slightly off topic, by best skylift story is when my family visited the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville and rode the skylift that was supposed to be this solar-powered prototype for transportation of the future. The sun went behind a cloud, the ride promptly stopped and we were stranded for 20 minutes!

jt04

Hmmm, maybe they could build a large tower next to the Contemporary with an observation deck and restaurant on top or something. Oh well, probably never happen.

Cynderella

I remember riding them in what the early 90's I suppose. Used to scare the crap out of me, mainly because I'm terrified of heights and I didnt want to be left by myself. :D It was cool to see everything from up high. Especially 20K.

SKYWAY 4 ME

Who wants a pic from the storage? I have a car I bought from the ride also. :)

There is No such thing as the "Killer bucket"
The bucket was not to blame for the death , he simply lost balance and fell near the Water wall . Simply human error not mechanical.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom