MK monorails lead to less frequent visits.

Oddysey

Original Poster
My wife and I probably visit Epcot 2 to 3 times each month, and rarley visit MK despite it being one of our favorite parks. The main reason is because it is so easy to access from the parking lot, and it is easy to leave quickly.

MK typically closes after Epcot, and we always discuss going to MK instead of going home, but the conversation usually goes like this...

Me: I would really like to go to MK tonight, but it is such a hassle to get there and is especially a hassle to try and leave at closing.

DW: I agree, I dont want to go home yet, but it will take us an hour to get in the park, and possibly more than an hour to get to our car.

Me: I wish the MK parking lot was similar to the Epcot parking lot because we would go more often. Lets go home.

This conversation occurs even if we think the monorails are operating at capacity. Now I understand that the monorails are really cool to new visitors, and helps with the illusion of leaving reality and going to another place. Because of this I dont think the current system should change, but I was wondering if there are any other frequent park visitors that have the same reservations about visiting the MK.

Again, I am not making this thread to complain because the system in place serves a good purpose, and I know that we are most likely in the minority. I just want to know if there are others that share our sediments. :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We kind of fall into this as well. The extra step added to getting into and out of the MK typically keeps us from hopping there. Quite honestly the rather large amount of time it takes to hop anywhere will usually keeps us from doing it except on our short commando trips.

Oddysey

Original Poster
Why don't you just park at the Contemporary and walk in.

We tend to be rule followers. I am not really sure why because it would certainly enhance our enjoyment of the parks. I guess we just believe that most rules are put in place for the greater good, and the Contemporary parking should be for those paying $400+ a night. I am not trying to be snarky with this post, I am simply answering your question.

captainkidd

All depends where you're staying. If you're at the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian, getting to the Magic Kingdom is a breeze.

Same goes for Epcot and the Epcot Resorts.

Same goes for Animal Kingdom and the AK area resorts.

10Magic

It really is a breeze if you're staying ANYWHERE on the property. It's the day-trippers that have it rough, and I agree, it can be a very time-consuming challenge. I think a better bet would be to find a Disney bus (Yacht or Beach Club) and bypass the Ticket & Transportation hassle.

Disney Dawg88

I visit the parks several time per month as well and I often visit the MK after Epcot, as you stated it's usually open later at night. In my year and a half of visiting the parks on a regular basis it has never taken me anywhere near an hour to get into MK, and that is at all times of the year - peak or non-peak season. When I drive to MK from Epcot often times I end up parking all the way at the very front as the people that get there really early in the morning often leave, so I'm right near the TTC and I walk up to jump on the monorail.

Now leaving the park at closing I can see what you're saying but I avoid leaving at closing. Even if you do choose to leave then, you have several other options - ferry and buses. I know that you're not trying to complain but I just hate to see you guys not visit the MK because of this. I know when I'm there I just have the mindset that I'm going in no matter how long it takes, even if it's just to go on a ride or two . . . but I am crazy so that explains that. :hammer:

durangojim

Why not walk out of EPCOT to the BC or BW and take the bus? And why not just park at either of those resorts in the first place when you want to go to EPCOT?

Korfar

I think you made a slight mention to it in your original post. The locals don't like it but the tourists do. Tourists have more time to get around. Locals want to get in and get out. I can see that point from a local point of view. As a tourist I like the current set up as it is different than any other theme park. You can stand at the entrance and look out over a parking lot. But I understand your point about it taking a long time and if you are pressed for time it makes it difficult to go there.

Oddysey

Original Poster
I visit the parks several time per month as well and I often visit the MK after Epcot, as you stated it's usually open later at night. In my year and a half of visiting the parks on a regular basis it has never taken me anywhere near an hour to get into MK, and that is at all times of the year - peak or non-peak season. When I drive to MK from Epcot often times I end up parking all the way at the very front as the people that get there really early in the morning often leave, so I'm right near the TTC and I walk up to jump on the monorail.

Now leaving the park at closing I can see what you're saying but I avoid leaving at closing. Even if you do choose to leave then, you have several other options - ferry and buses. I know that you're not trying to complain but I just hate to see you guys not visit the MK because of this. I know when I'm there I just have the mindset that I'm going in no matter how long it takes, even if it's just to go on a ride or two . . . but I am crazy so that explains that. :hammer:

I used to have that attitude about visiting MK after one and one half years of being a passholder, but about a decade of being a passholder, the monorail, bus, and ferry transportation just got old I guess. I have seen traffic increase at the parks over the last decade, and after all the hassle, the payoff is not worth having to deal with the park closing traffic.

It's really just me being jaded by going to the parks so often, and this is not likely to affect people that have not got a chance to go to the parks as often as I do. Dont get me wrong, I still love the MK, but as with most things the law of diminishing returns seems to apply too Disney Parks as well.

Polyman

This news may change some of your future thinking or plans. I just replied in the post about monorail troubles at MK last night. Beginning Monday, July 11 monorails to and from Epcot will shut down at 10pm, no matter how late MK is open. After 10pm, buses will be provided. This is solely being done to allow more time in a 24 hour day for monorail maintenance. Hours at MK are consantly being extended and this is cutting in to available maintenance time for the monorails.

Oddysey

Original Poster
This news may change some of your future thinking or plans. I just replied in the post about monorail troubles at MK last night. Beginning Monday, July 11 monorails to and from Epcot will shut down at 10pm, no matter how late MK is open. After 10pm, buses will be provided. This is solely being done to allow more time in a 24 hour day for monorail maintenance. Hours at MK are consantly being extended and this is cutting in to available maintenance time for the monorails.

Thanks for the info. I would have most likley learned this the hard way while on a rare trip to MK from Epcot on a late night. :wave:

ArtieJim

I thought you could only get into the resorts areas by car if you show your key to the world card at each respective guard booth?

mergatroid

My wife and I probably visit Epcot 2 to 3 times each month, and rarley visit MK despite it being one of our favorite parks. The main reason is because it is so easy to access from the parking lot, and it is easy to leave quickly.

MK typically closes after Epcot, and we always discuss going to MK instead of going home, but the conversation usually goes like this...

Me: I would really like to go to MK tonight, but it is such a hassle to get there and is especially a hassle to try and leave at closing.

DW: I agree, I dont want to go home yet, but it will take us an hour to get in the park, and possibly more than an hour to get to our car.

Me: I wish the MK parking lot was similar to the Epcot parking lot because we would go more often. Lets go home.

This conversation occurs even if we think the monorails are operating at capacity. Now I understand that the monorails are really cool to new visitors, and helps with the illusion of leaving reality and going to another place. Because of this I dont think the current system should change, but I was wondering if there are any other frequent park visitors that have the same reservations about visiting the MK.

Again, I am not making this thread to complain because the system in place serves a good purpose, and I know that we are most likely in the minority. I just want to know if there are others that share our sediments. :wave:

I know what you mean, I find it the same. My wife and I are AP holders and often just want to pop in for an hour or so. On these days Epcot or the Studios usually win because of the ease. For instance I will often pop in to Disney Studios in the hope there's only a 10 minute wait for something, if not no real hassle. However popping into the MK to ride just one thing is time consuming. We always visit the MK a few times on our holiday but always with a plan of staying for a good few hours rather than a quick visit. As you say it definately does create more magic the way it is and I wouldn't begrudge new visitors having that feeling just for my convenience.

Yankee Mouse

This doesn't completely address your issue since there is really no way to quickly get in and out of the MK simply based on its design but....

what about parking at MK in the morning then taking the monorail from TTC to Epcot for your day there, then after Epcot closes your car is already at MK all you have to do is monorail back and head into the park and don't have to deal with going to your car at Epcot, driving over, parking, ferry/monorail.

With regards to the monorail not running after 10 that shouldn't really affect guests wanting to go to MK after Epcot is closed since IIRC it almost always closes at 9 anyway. What I imagine it would affect would be guests staying at monorail resorts, and as a BLT owner that really stinks, but I understand the maintenance requirements are more important. One of the advantages to staying in these resorts though is the monorail, so I would rather see them operate at reduced capacity during epcot EMH and check people's resort id instead of having to take a bus. Provide a shuttle back to the TTC though for the people who want to hop to Epcot for EMH.

btw, I wish I lived close enough for this to be an issue for me :)

Rowdy

Nope, the only thing that sends us home are annoyingly large crowds.

I've never had any Disney transportation deteriorate my experience. But, this is also coming from someone who will walk to the car from the tram instead of riding it, if the line is too long.

olinecoach61

I understand what your saying, but I do love the monorail. It can be frustrating to feel like your wasting time hopping to the parks .

CP_alum08

I thought you could only get into the resorts areas by car if you show your key to the world card at each respective guard booth?

Usually if you tell them you are going to dinner they let you in without a hassle. And if they do give you issues, just whip out your smart phone and make an ADR :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom