MK Daily Attendance

Goofyernmost

My theory on why MK is so crowded while the other parks are less so is because Universal is drawing vacationers away from WDW.

Let's face it, you're vacationing in Orlando and decide to spend a couple of days at Universal on what used to be an all-WDW vacation. Which WDW park are you least likely to skip?

I imagine Universal is putting the hurt on DAK but especially DHS. Although TOT is one of Orlando's best attractions, DHS has pretty much always come up short when compared to Universal Studios. Now that WDW vacationers are giving Universal a try due to the popularity of WWOHP at IOA, they're more comfortable with giving US a try as well. And, of course, US has had some really good additions over the last few years with the best yet to come.
Makes you wonder just how much the NextGen is going to attempt to control what parks you go too on any given day. With the Fastpass+ option how difficult would it be to tempt you to go to a different park on certain days by offering better times for Fastpasses in say DHS instead of MK? If no EMH is being done, which rumor says it won't, then there is not reason to be in a specific park on a specific day is there. If the program will tell me that there are no useful FP's available in MK on Tuesday, but there are a boatload in DHS, would it influence your decision concerning which park to choose that day?

Dads 2 Boys

I've only gone once during a crazy busy week and that was this Feb (7th-13th). I've seen it dubbed many things but the best was "The Brazilian Purple Twirl Week from hell". I have had the apps showing the wait times and only during the "big" weeks have I seen wait times this consistantly high all day.

That being said, with effective use of time and Fastpasses we did everything we wanted (except the new Little Mermaid ride which was really ok with me) and did most of the biggest attractions 3x or more. We arrived pretty late on the 7th and left the resort @ 8am on the 13th so we only had 5 days in the parks. I've only been 4 times since 2007 so I'm not a yearly visitor but with research and learning from "the smart ones" here, it's easier to enjoy busy times way more than I thought. Heck, we even did 2 or more rides at all four parks on the 12th.

I also think MK is busier becasue it's "The Icon". There are still people who thing Magic Kingdom IS WDW. Most first timers spend more time @ MK than at any other park os it only makes sense that MK's attendance will always be higher.

WDW keeps some people from going to Universal because adding one day to your park hopper passes may only be 10-12 per person. So for a family of four, one more day @ WDW is only $40-$100 (including food), whereas going to Uni for a day for a family of 4 is going to cost close to $500 (tickets, transportation, food, etc...) That makes a huge difference to many visitors.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Brings me back to yesterday. Someone said that it was a 4.2(?). Projection was 45k. Seemed busier but 47k would be average (see first post). My question is does that mean a 10 means an attendance of 90k, a 5 of 47k and a 1 of... 9,400? That makes some sort of sense but IMO an average crowd (47k) is uncomfortable, crowded and unpleasant.

Other thought on TP, I'd love to see historical wait times data over the years. Len is the only one who has done that.

Len has said publicly a number of times over the years that their scale does not represent the number of people in the park at all but the relative size of the crowd as compared from slowest to busiest days. As was described in an earlier post, they break all of the days of the year into 10 groupings with a 1 representing the (~36) slowest days and a 10 representing the (~36) busiest days of the year.

My general sense has been that over the years WDW has done a good job (from their perspective) of flattening out the crowd levels such that we don't have the truly slow periods we used to see. They seem to have filled in those slow periods with everything from Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, MNSSHP, etc.. Given all of that, it seems that using the TP model a 1 or 2 would not feel nearly as low as it used to since the attendance range from low to high crowds seems much less than it used to be.

Bolt

It is people's job at WDW to find conventions like cheerleading and such to line up on the historically slow weeks to fill any gaps. This weekend should be slow, but add in 5000 cheerleaders with their families and now you have a busy week! Spring Break will last two months this year with an early Easter and some schools waiting til April to do theirs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No. Waiting in line is not "part of the experience" unless its a refugee camp in war-torn Africa.

It is from a biz point of view. If there are no lines... People rip through the park too quickly and then think your park has little to do (see USF). Lines also help project 'popularity' and draw attention. Lines also ensure attractions run at capacity.

You want lines... Just not excessive ones.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
It is from a biz point of view. If there are no lines... People rip through the park too quickly and then think your park has little to do (see USF). Lines also help project 'popularity' and draw attention. Lines also ensure attractions run at capacity.

You want lines... Just not excessive ones.

40 minutes is excessive. 20 is not.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
You're definitely missing the point. People spend thousands of dollars on Disney vacations and expect "unbearable" 45 minute waits because they consider Disney's attractions worth it. If you think that's ridiculous, then by all means vacation elsewhere.

I'm not on vacation. I LIVE HERE.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
If you can't stand waiting 35 minutes in line at a theme park, then please, go somewhere else.

I know many other theme parks where a 2 hour wait for a coaster is de regure.

So you're perfectly okay with larger crowds and less entertainment? Less enjoyment because the parks are full? All the whilst paying more money for the privilege?

Then sir, you truly are Disney's desired demographic: Spends a crap ton of money, doesnt care how much entertainment he gets and thinks waiting in line is part of what youre paying for.

I wholeheartedly disagree and for the money you pay to get into these parks, you deserve better.

rct247

Here are the wait times at the parks today.

Magic Kingdom
-Space=80
-Buzz=45
-Speedway=45
-Teacups=20
-Pooh= 30
-Dumbo=50
-Barnstormer=70
-Mermaid=70
-Pan=60
-Mansion=30
-Thunder=80
-Pirates=35
-Jungle=35
-Small World=25
-Astro=30

Epcot
-Soarin=65
-Test Track= 60
-Land=5
-Mission Space=10
-Nemo=10
-Spaceship Earth=15
-Maelstrom=20
-Ellen=5

DHS
-Coaster= 80
-Tower=70
-Toy Story=90
-GMR=20
-Star Tours=20

DAK
-Dino=45
-Everest=35
-Kali=20
-Safari=10
-Prime=20
-Bugs=Down

openendedsky

Food and Garden this weekend; people are in line for Pineapple spiced rum dole whip ;)
DUH. I should have known.

Well, that's where I'll be next Saturday, because I actually won't have to work that Saturday for the first time in three months. Do you know if they require two forms of ID? Because I've heard a lot about it but I figured I'd ask you since you frequent the parks much more so than most people on here.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
DUH. I should have known.

Well, that's where I'll be next Saturday, because I actually won't have to work that Saturday for the first time in three months. Do you know if they require two forms of ID? Because I've heard a lot about it but I figured I'd ask you since you frequent the parks much more so than most people on here.

I was not carded. The people I have seen carded for Alcohol, usually the drivers license will do.

For those whom are under 21 and get caught with a fake ID, odds are you will end up tresspassed.

Genie of the Lamp

I see on Touring Plans it has WDW crowd control has it listed as a 7 today having AK as the best park to visit and Epcot as the worst. Also, when does the TEA generally release the info records for Park Attendance?

DisneyJoe

So you're perfectly okay with larger crowds and less entertainment? Less enjoyment because the parks are full? All the whilst paying more money for the privilege?

Then sir, you truly are Disney's desired demographic: Spends a crap ton of money, doesnt care how much entertainment he gets and thinks waiting in line is part of what youre paying for.

I wholeheartedly disagree and for the money you pay to get into these parks, you deserve better.
Didn't say or mean that at all. Just saying you're being unrealistic for thinking that the waits should always be less than 35 minutes....and I rarely wait longer than 20-25.

openendedsky

I see on Touring Plans it has WDW crowd control has it listed as a 7 today having AK as the best park to visit and Epcot as the worst. Also, when does the TEA generally release the info records for Park Attendance?
Is touringplans worth the subscription? I've contemplated it several times but never actually signed up.

Goofyernmost

Although I appreciate your desire for such a thing as "no wait", so far you haven't offered how to make that happen. It's nice to wish things were different, but what you wish for has to be attainable. Waiting in line is, and always has been, part of the costs of being there. They can only be avoided by not going there or not riding anything (which I think you have already said you do), so what would be the purpose of going be? Do they want them to have a special "PhotoDave219 day" where only you are allowed to go? How do you prevent the parks from being full?

True you can protest by not going there anymore, but who really loses out in that scenario, I mean, besides yourself? It seems that the only way that could ever become a reality is if you were to contact every visitor that might ever go to the place and advise them to stay home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom