MK Daily Attendance

MarkTwain

I'm no expert in how WDW rides are run, but can WDW control capacity to the rides? For instance, I was in line for Star Tours and it seemed like they open more ride simulators. The line started moving faster and moving us to the last ride simulator. My point being I wonder if WDW is keeping low ride capacity during high peek times. This to reduce operating expense and turning a bigger profit?
They certainly can, to an extent. I used to work a WDW ride where around a dozen vehicles were used on the track on a daily basis. There were about 20 vehicles total, but there pretty much always at least a few that were prone to speaker problems and were usually under maintenance. We could always add some of the vehicles to the track without bumping up the operating cost any, and often would based on crowd level. But that put more stress on the CMs (and guests, for that matter) to load/unload the attraction quickly, and sometimes caused some show problems where guests could hear the audio being played for another vehicle. Not to mention it meant those vehicles weren't being worked on at the time. Only on exceptionally busy days like New Years Eve did we collaborate in advance with maintenance to ensure that all of the vehicles were ready for use on the track. One of the first questions I asked arriving to work each day was how many vehicles we were running, as a quick indication of what my day was going to be like.

Attractions with entirely separate "shows" like Star Tours or Jungle Cruise may be different, where each cabin requires separately staffed CMs, and how many cabins/boats that are being run is likely a reflection of current staffing ability.

MarkTwain

- I can't see this drawing enough people away from the Mk on a consistent basis - and discovery cove has limited attendance and a high price point.

Let's face it, MK is THE main draw for visitors to Orlando, there's a reason many get confused and call IT DisneyWorld.

This is the number one problem, right here. There are many reports of how Magic Kingdom is consistently packed in when other parks are more seeing moderate crowds.

The solution to this needs to be twofold: first, find ways (or rather, continue finding ways) to expand walking space and ride capacity to the Magic Kingdom WITHOUT making a national media blitz about it. The expanded Tangled restrooms area, the Little Mermaid's omnimover, and the Dueling Dumbos are good starts. Clearing the Adventureland's Plaza of the Magic Carpets and reopening the park's many shuttered eateries would also be smart moves, as well as good ideas in their own right. I would also suggest doing like Disneyland Paris, and like Disneyland in Anaheim is considering, and building a second "side street" behind Main Street as a second access point to/from the hub during parades and the nightly park exodus (considering Main Street is arguably the most crowded location in the whole park). Designing fireworks shows to be less Hub-dependent, with a variety of great viewing angles, would be smart as well.

Secondly, and this should go without saying, Disney needs to make a national draw out of the other three theme parks. This could be by adding attractions and capacity (please, for the love of Walt, add rides...), but this could also be done simply by highlighting the other parks' existence in national advertising and public perception. RE: showing anything besides Big Thunder, teacups, and the castle in every single TV commercial. I highly doubt anyone that has only one day in Orlando, or one day to spend at WDW during their business conference or trip to Uni, is going to spend it in Animal Kingdom, DHS, or really anywhere but the Magic Kingdom. That should not be the case. People should have to think hard about which of the 4 parks is most deserving of their time and money, so that crowds can be spread more evenly among parks more capable of handling them. Not to mention the obvious benefits of encouraging people to spend longer on-property and visit more parks. At it is, the Magic Kingdom is having to handle the entirety of the public interest, and it shows.

alissafalco

This is the number one problem, right here. There are many reports of how Magic Kingdom is consistently packed in when other parks are more seeing moderate crowds.

The solution to this needs to be twofold: first, find ways (or rather, continue finding ways) to expand walking space and ride capacity to the Magic Kingdom WITHOUT turning making a national media blitz about it. The expanded Tangled restrooms area, the Little Mermaid's omnimover, and the Dueling Dumbos are good starts. Clearing the Adventureland's Plaza of the Magic Carpets and reopening the park's many shuttered eateries would also be smart moves, as well as good ideas in their own right. I would also suggest doing like Disneyland Paris, and like Disneyland in Anaheim is considering, and building a second "side street" behind Main Street as a second access point to/from the hub during parades and the nightly park exodus (considering Main Street is arguably the most crowded location in the whole park). Designing fireworks shows to be less Hub-dependent, with a variety of great viewing angles, would be smart as well.

Secondly, and this should go without saying, Disney needs to make a national draw out of the other three theme parks. This could be by adding attractions and capacity (please, for the love of Walt, add rides...), but this could also be done simply by highlighting the other parks' existence in national advertising and public perception. RE: showing anything besides Big Thunder, teacups, and the castle in every single TV commercial. I highly doubt anyone that has only one day in Orlando, or one day to spend at WDW during their business conference or trip to Uni, is going to spend it in Animal Kingdom, DHS, or really anywhere but the Magic Kingdom. That should not be the case. People should have to think hard about which of the 4 parks is most deserving of their time and money, so that crowds can be spread more evenly among parks more capable of handling them. Not to mention the obvious benefits of encouraging people to spend longer on-property and visit more parks. At it is, the Magic Kingdom is having to handle the entirety of the public interest, and it shows.

I couldn't agree more. A Star Wars themed land would do it for HS! Revamping Epcot by adding more rides to the Pavilions and adding Pavilions. Ak really needs a lot and I don't think Avatar is the answer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
... or the park has hit oversaturation with guests.

Sorry - history is not in your favor if that is your barometer in saying the park is now over saturated.

Of course everyone as a consumer would prefer less wait over more... But how much someone is willing to wait is a reflection of their perceived value/return.

If you are willing to invest more waiting for a simple meal than you are for waiting for disney's unique entertainment then I don't think you value the entertainment that much and it's probably time for a break.

Walt 1901

Possible answer.....ADD another park for the guests to visit...
Thats why so many have said... STOP building the DVC's .... which adds more numbers of guests, when what we need is another park to draw the additional crowds. But as more people buy into the DVC's Disney's continuing to make their profit and not worrying about how the cowds add up and extend the lines in the parks.
I don't know if they have to build a fifth gate, I just think they need to work on the parks they have. Hollywood Studio for one has huge potential for expansion with the recent purchased of marvel and Lucas Films. It could easily become a one day or even two day park if they would just get someone to put some effort into rethinking the parks purpose. EPCOT in my mind has been completely neglected. It looks like all the other old worlds fair sights, abandoned and run down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom