MK 24 hour party 2015 - Coolest Summer Ever

asianway

Is he a thing? I thought maybe he was just some random narcissist that @Tigger1988 found on YouTube. But by your comment I take it he's a full time Disney blogger with the uniquely annoying personality to go with it? :rolleyes:

I can't get myself to click on his YouTube channel to see his other videos, since I'm afraid I'll be stuck in a Sunday afternoon loop of watching horrific commentary about how much his opinion matters. It doesn't.

But from the three minutes of his linked video here that I watched, I'd like for him to either get some Rogaine on that patchy thin beard or shave it off and try to get the ladies some other way.
I kept thinking it would devolve into a car crash

PhotoDave219

Sounds like DL cast members dropped the ball. Fights broke out at bag check and they didn't seem to care, apparently.

From the photos I saw, the... whatever they call it, espinada, plaza.... was bedlam and wall to wall people who were waiting outside the gates in a hope that Disneyland would reopen.

It DIdn't

On social Media, Mouseplanet and even the Disneyland Feed was telling people not to come. I'm not sure how you can fault the CMs here. Seems like they managed a capacity crowd rather well.

The only way you could have cleared a plaza with that many people would have been a phalanx of police. And nobody wanted that.

TP2000

LA has like 15 million people that live in the metro area and the western region of the USA has over 75 million. Disneyland and DCA are relatively small parks but have by far the highest attendance and tourist pull of anywhere in the country except for WDW.

Exactly.

There's actually just over 20 Million people who live within a 90 minute freeway drive of Disneyland, because you have to factor in San Diego County too.

Buzz Price from Stanford really earned his keep in 1953 when Walt asked him to find the perfect spot for Disneyland smack dab in the middle of the rapidly growing SoCal region. Anaheim is the bullseye in the middle of 20 Million Americans, and most of them love Disneyland.

asianway

From the photos I saw, the... whatever they call it, espinada, plaza.... was bedlam and wall to wall people who were waiting outside the gates in a hope that Disneyland would reopen.

It DIdn't

On social Media, Mouseplanet and even the Disneyland Feed was telling people not to come. I'm not sure how you can fault the CMs here. Seems like they managed a capacity crowd rather well.

The only way you could have cleared a plaza with that many people would have been a phalanx of police. And nobody wanted that.
But...if there really were fights, crushing crowds with the potential for trampling...you call the cops. Or the fire department. Not some joke of a quasi-security guest services bag checker who is probably fearing for their life as well.

Anyone have any footage of these fights?

PhotoDave219

The DL event didn't do anything "special" except repeat the pajama characters from prior years, in fact there was no Soundsational Friday.

If you factor those in is call it a wash and say there is just as much going on today. And tomorrow, etc till the end of summer.

Well it was the 60th Anniversary Day....

Beyond that? In my social circles, the idea of going to WDW for 24 hours is nonsense. Pulled the overnight once and was there for part of the time the past two years and its just not very fun. Its packed. Its chaos. Too many people. Too many lines. Not enough fun things to do. Its nothing "Special" anymore. The Coolest Summer Ever? That was last year. Before that, it was Monstrous Summer Fun. I sense a giant failing of the marketing department.

Plus, there's nothing new at MK. I'd rather have stayed home and watched Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever via crappy webcast then deal with the savages at the MK.

WDW didn't give the guests a reason to come for 24 hours.

PhotoDave219

But...if there really were fights, crushing crowds with the potential for trampling...you call the cops. Or the fire department. Not some joke of a quasi-security guest services bag checker who is probably fearing for their life as well.

Anyone have any footage of these fights?

I didn't hear of any. Probably just internet rumors.

Granted, they should have just closed the exit on the interstate and closed the parking garages. "Sorry We're Closed, Mouse out front Shoulda told ya."

TP2000

I forgot about the official Disneyland Today twitter feed. They were sounding the alarm bells by the afternoon, telling everyone that parking was full and Disneyland was closed indefinitely. https://twitter.com/disneylandtoday

Their unusually blunt tweets from Friday are all still available on their feed. They updated every 30 to 60 minutes beginning on Friday afternoon when Disneyland closed its gates. But if you were in the Esplanade wanting to get into Disneyland on Friday evening, it wasn't going to happen until 2:55AM on Saturday morning.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · As of 1:45am, many guests enjoying #Disney24. Disneyland park is still not admitting any guests. Updates to follow.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · As of 1:52am,
#Disney24 guests already inside Disney California Adventure park may park hop to Disneyland park.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · Update 2:13am: We are in the process of allowing
#Disney24 guests inside Disney California Adventure park to cross over to Disneyland park.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · UPDATE: As of 2:55am, access to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks for
#Disney24 has resumed regular operation. #Disneyland60

I mean, really, what else could they have done when that many people show up like that on a Friday night and won't leave, after an already over-capacity Friday morning and afternoon?

asianway

Well it was the 60th Anniversary Day....

Beyond that? In my social circles, the idea of going to WDW for 24 hours is nonsense. Pulled the overnight once and was there for part of the time the past two years and its just not very fun. Its packed. Its chaos. Too many people. Too many lines. Not enough fun things to do. Its nothing "Special" anymore. The Coolest Summer Ever? That was last year. Before that, it was Monstrous Summer Fun. I sense a giant failing of the marketing department.

Plus, there's nothing new at MK. I'd rather have stayed home and watched Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever via crappy webcast then deal with the savages at the MK.

WDW didn't give the guests a reason to come for 24 hours.
It was the 60th day...but that could have been better served with a slow rollout over a couple of weeks with maybe one of the offerings debuting at the party. They hard ticket every other damn thing but not this

PhotoDave219

I forgot about the official Disneyland Today twitter feed. They were sounding the alarm bells by the afternoon, telling everyone that parking was full and Disneyland was closed indefinitely. https://twitter.com/disneylandtoday

Their unusually blunt tweets from Friday are all still available on their feed. They updated every 30 to 60 minutes beginning on Friday afternoon when Disneyland closed its gates. But if you were in the Esplanade wanting to get into Disneyland on Friday evening, it wasn't going to happen until 2:55AM on Saturday morning.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · As of 1:45am, many guests enjoying #Disney24. Disneyland park is still not admitting any guests. Updates to follow.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · As of 1:52am,
#Disney24 guests already inside Disney California Adventure park may park hop to Disneyland park.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · Update 2:13am: We are in the process of allowing
#Disney24 guests inside Disney California Adventure park to cross over to Disneyland park.

Disneyland Today @DisneylandToday · UPDATE: As of 2:55am, access to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks for
#Disney24 has resumed regular operation. #Disneyland60

I mean, really, what else could they have done when that many people show up like that on a Friday night and won't leave, after an already over-capacity Friday morning and afternoon?

Disneyland did the best they could. Just a result of having one million (!!!!!) pass holders.

WDW? Sounds like management didn't care. Shows the stark differences between the philosophies & demographics of both parks. WDW mainly doesn't care about pass holders and does nothing for them.... And then wonders why they wouldn't show for this. If you're on vacation with two kids, you might stay up late but mostly you wouldn't care.

Gotta say, Phil Holmes' team really dropped the ball here.

TP2000

In comparison to Disneyland's manic "Disneyland is closed!" Twitter feed, the relative non-event status of the 24 Hour Party at WDW is reflected in their official twitter feed. https://twitter.com/waltdisneyworld

WDW only tweeted 19 times during the entire 36 hour event, and the tweets are mostly pre-fabricated plugs for novelty snacks, branded merchandise, and existing parades, with a sprinkling of corporate pablum on top.

Last edited:

Horizons1

Is he a thing? I thought maybe he was just some random narcissist that @Tigger1988 found on YouTube. But by your comment I take it he's a full time Disney blogger with the uniquely annoying personality to go with it? :rolleyes:

I can't get myself to click on his YouTube channel to see his other videos, since I'm afraid I'll be stuck in a Sunday afternoon loop of watching horrific commentary about how much his opinion matters. It doesn't.

But from the three minutes of his linked video here that I watched, I'd like for him to either get some Rogaine on that patchy thin beard or shave it off and try to get the ladies some other way.
He wants to be a thing. He's essentially on the outside of the bloggers and lifestylers looking in and asking why can't I hang out with you guys. So he tries really hard to be something he isn't.

TP2000

He wants to be a thing. He's essentially on the outside of the bloggers and lifestylers looking in and asking why can't I hang out with you guys. So he tries really hard to be something he isn't.

My God, that's just terrifying.

And his YouTube video suddenly makes more sense. He showed up late to the 24 Hour Party, after Disneyland closed its gates and was on the outside looking in, both literally and figuratively. :rolleyes:

PhotoDave219

My God, that's just terrifying.

And his YouTube video suddenly makes more sense. He showed up late to the 24 Hour Party, after Disneyland closed its gates and was on the outside looking in, both literally and figuratively. :rolleyes:

I have friends that were there successfully. They got there at 7am.

Anyone who thought otherwise were just kidding themselves.

DisneyOutsider

I don't want to come across as argumentative about this.. however could somebody explain to me why we're crushing this guy from the youtube video? I mean, sure I would never spend my time making videos like that, but I don't understand why it's a big deal if he wishes to do so. He seemed nice/fair enough and I seriously doubt I could get 100-plus internet strangers to care about the random crap I think about on a day to day basis.

Perhaps in order to help me understand somebody might have to explain to me what exactly a "lifestyler" is and why they are so reviled around here as well, because I haven't figured that one out either.

Tigger1988

I don't want to come across as argumentative about this.. however could somebody explain to me why we're crushing this guy from the youtube video? I mean, sure I would never spend my time making videos like that, but I don't understand why it's a big deal if he wishes to do so. He seemed nice/fair enough and I seriously doubt I could get 100-plus internet strangers to care about the random crap I think about on a day to day basis.

Perhaps in order to help me understand somebody might have to explain to me what exactly a "lifestyler" is and why they are so reviled around here as well, because I haven't figured that one out either.
Right. I posted the video because it was a first hand account of what happened and one that was extremely balanced in its criticisms. Not so people could get off on mocking the guy.

I don't understand how some of you know so much about these bloggers, but then try to act superior to them. For people that are supposedly "pathetic" a lot of time is apparently devoted to following their every move.

PhotoDave219

Because we can.

TP2000

Sigh. LAME. So lame.

They COULD have done it more like the Royal Welcome thing that was done at Hollywood Studios last year for their Frozen-fest.

They appear to be phoning it in on Frozen floats on both coasts. It's not just a WDW thing.

I saw the new Paint The Night parade at Disneyland on Sunday night, and it was excellent. The weakest link was definitely the Frozen float. It's very tall, and it has Anna and Elsa on it, but other than that it's just sort of predictable and blah.

Here's a 90 second video of just the Frozen float in Paint The Night. Some of the other floats and elements in this new Disneyland parade are really spectacular, but Frozen falls flat here, in my opinion.

DSC_4315-L.jpg

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

It was worse than that. That guy got off easy, and quite frankly comes off as a hipster whiner who has nothing but 1st World Problems.

Over 10,000 people camped out overnight Thursday to be let in at 6AM on Friday morning. That was the first sign things were going to get really ugly later on Friday. Here's sunrise at Disneyland on Friday morning at the event kickoff, with the first 5,000 in line getting free 60th Anniversary mouse ears to wear.
dl24crowd.jpg

This is the (far less photogenic) back of the crowd at the 6AM kickoff, with thousands more still pouring in the turnstiles.
norobw-b88416168z.120150522124531000gks9tdsc.10.jpg

As a point of reference, here's the similar kickoff event at 6AM at Magic Kingdom Park, attended by a few dozen Lifestyle Bloggers and a gaggle of early-bird tourists. Quite a different vibe compared to Disneyland!
Coolest-Summer-Ever_Full_24200.jpg;width=640

Later on Friday, Disneyland began phased closures at 2PM, and went "Phase 4" for the first time ever around 6PM where not even Hotel Concierge or Club 33 Guests were allowed in. There were thousands of people still waiting to get into Disneyland at Midnight as Friday became Saturday, and the massive crowds filled the Esplanade and the line to get in went out to Harbor Blvd. and all the way down to Katella Avenue. (That's about a half mile long, 18 hours into the event) By early Friday evening the surface streets around Disneyland were gridlocked, and the Santa Ana Freeway at the Disneyland Drive off-ramp backed up for five miles (to the Riverside Freeway) from about 6PM to almost Midnight. Local TV and radio covered the backup like it was the apocalypse.

It was pure pandemonium outside the park until they reopened the Disneyland gates at about 2AM on Saturday morning, after the 1AM performance of Paint The Night was completed. But at least those inside the gates appeared to have a good time.

1 Million Disneyland Annual Passholders can bring that property to its knees if they all try and visit on the same night. But I bet the three dozen Lifestyle Bloggers at WDW's Magic Kingdom Park had a good time too.
Apparently you fail to realize what is fairly common knowledge by now: Walt Disney World is an international destination while Disneyland is more of a Regional park (of course still bringing in plenty of internationals). WDW is by no means a locals resort and never will be.

The fact of the matter is events like this are catered much more towards Disneyland, which has the aforementioned 1M+ AP holders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom