News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

Sir_Cliff

Nothing says French Baroque like simple, straight lines.
This is the thing for me. I don't think the chairs in and of themselves are awful (well, they'd be nice without the rose pattern), but they don't fit the theme and design of the hotel at all. They look 100% like what you'd see in any number of upscale chain hotels which at the moment all seem to be doing a similar spin on updating midcentury modern/nordic design.

Animaniac93-98

Lush and Ornate? Seriously? It is absolutely horrendous...and a glaring eyesore at the Seaside Victorian inspired hotel...
View attachment 414558

But they're yellow and have roses on them! Just like all the Disney Belle Disney Princess Merchandise from Disney's Parks, Products and Experiences divisions sold at ShopDisney .com!

And it's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort at Walt Disney World! It's all Disney, it all ties together!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Unreal. I come in to this thread hoping to see when this place would open because I am highly interested in visitng and this is the post I see.
Looks cheap? Compred to the previous furniture??
I too find it unreal that people are discussing differing opinions in an online forum. It should just be discussion about what day it opens.

The_Jobu

Why are people surprised? Did we see the same concept art? We knew it was going to be a huge swing and miss from the very beginning. When are people going to realize we don't get ornate designs at the resorts anymore?

It's really frustrating to see. Seems like even with record profits Disney keeps looking for ways to skimp on everything they do lately.

Sir_Cliff

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was another project that went over budget. Even the stuff that looks cheap still costs Disney a fortune to make.
Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if this was actually a very expensive conversion.

The stripping away of ornamentation is more in line with what seems to be the current thinking at Disney regarding guests not wanting lavishly themed hotels. Sometimes less is more (e.g. the Caribbean Beach Resort refurb), but Disney's newer resorts suggest a conscious attempt to tone down the theming at the hotels to elements like Disney artwork in relatively generic, modern spaces.

oogie boogie man

No one should have gushing, positive remarks about this one. All they did was take out ugly 40's themed furniture and replace it with ugly 60's themed furniture.

And what is with Belle and Roses? Geez, she's like that Aunt on Breaking Bad that was obsessed with the color purple (the color, not the movie. LOL).

lazyboy97o

The stripping away of ornamentation is more in line with what seems to be the current thinking at Disney regarding guests not wanting lavishly themed hotels. Sometimes less is more (e.g. the Caribbean Beach Resort refurb), but Disney's newer resorts suggest a conscious attempt to tone down the theming at the hotels to elements like Disney artwork in relatively generic, modern spaces.
It’s the current trend and this sort of work is heavily outsourced.

Bocabear

But what guests have said "Hey, I sure wish the Grand Floridian looked more like a Springhill Suites with Ikea furniture!"...I suspect no guest has complained that they wanted less themed and more bland modern spaces in their Disney hotels...I think Management has probably completed an exhaustive study that was heavily skewed to back up this decision to remove all the special and magic from the Disney hotels... Quite frankly for a lot less money I can stay at a Marriott Westin or Hilton... If anything, for the prices they charge, the hotel should be getting even more elaborate...All of the premium hotels should actually be getting more beautiful and lavish... rather than more stripped down and ordinary...
And honestly, let's not forget that NONE of the Disney hotels are even that themed...Yes furnishings and accessories that help convey a time and place, but they are far from immersive experiences... They have always been nice and modestly done...
It is odd when leadership forgets what actually made Disney Parks and Resorts worthy of the prices they charge...
Perhaps Universal will continue to up their game with the new park and offerings...

aladdin2007

But what guests have said "Hey, I sure wish the Grand Floridian looked more like a Springhill Suites with Ikea furniture!"...I suspect no guest has complained that they wanted less themed and more bland modern spaces in their Disney hotels...I think Management has probably completed an exhaustive study that was heavily skewed to back up this decision to remove all the special and magic from the Disney hotels... Quite frankly for a lot less money I can stay at a Marriott Westin or Hilton... If anything, for the prices they charge, the hotel should be getting even more elaborate...All of the premium hotels should actually be getting more beautiful and lavish... rather than more stripped down and ordinary...
And honestly, let's not forget that NONE of the Disney hotels are even that themed...Yes furnishings and accessories that help convey a time and place, but they are far from immersive experiences... They have always been nice and modestly done...
It is odd when leadership forgets what actually made Disney Parks and Resorts worthy of the prices they charge...
Perhaps Universal will continue to up their game with the new park and offerings...

this entire post is spot on, I also think they are doing it to save money, keep it simple and bare and less to clean, fix, or maintain and easier to update if at all when need be...... and some of the rooms are just starting to look like dorms or conference rooms its bad. But one of the reasons I think they are doing that is because they dont want you in your room, they want you out spending!!

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

I'm reserving judgement until everything is finished and we have the full view in our sights. I had some good times at Mizner's. But ity's decor was nothing special at all. That room could have been in any old hotel up and down the est coast. Not saying that Enchanted Rose (what we've seen so far) is Trader Sam's level themeing, but I think once they open the doors people will be more receptive to it and possibly discover more nuanced detailing that links to BatB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom