News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

JohnD

This would be a better fit in PO. “But PO is themed.to Louisiana!” So. GF is themed to Fla. At least LA has a French heritage which is why PO is a better fit.

dreamfinder912

On one hand: The parents of the kids would still need to be able to afford it

On the other hand: Those that can afford it and have kids are well aware of it

true, but they did manage to both afford and then complain about club villain. I must admit I never went, because I never found reviews that made it sound worth it. Not the price tag, but the mommy blogger reviews complaining about the drinking, and the reviewers of my demographic (mid 20s, no kids) complaining about the amount of children. It seems Disney is so hell bent on shoving alcohol ($) and princesses ($) into everything they don't realize that the two can operate very successfully...separately.

Still, they let me down hard in new fantasyland with the library, maybe this will be better!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think Disney is doing things the right way nowadays. Take the classic Disney movies/feel and put it everywhere. I think that is what people expect, hence the change to more IP in the parks and beyond.

Few things make one feel truly whisked away to the Florida Coast like a bar with classical Baroque designs and French furnishings.

Themed entertainment should be more than placing the customer "inside" a movie. What story is this telling? Or more appropriately, as it's within an already themed environment, what story is this space reinforcing? The story, at least to me, is "you're in Disney", and very little else.

@Missing20K

Can you really even blame Disney when the general reaction is like the one you see above you?

John and Marie Podunk from outside Savanah who make 88k a year love Dizzy Werld and want it loaded with characters. They can afford to stay at the Grand because cost of living is nothing, so they get to play at being bougie for a week a year, but the reality is, they just want to see foamheads and Disney decorations. Theme, place-making, class, no thank you.

LittleBuford

It's worth recalling that Mrs Potts and Chip are represented on the floor next to the Garden View Tea Room, so this particular IP isn't entirely new to the Grand Floridian.

348s.jpg

I agree that it's an iffy choice of theme for the bar, but I have to admit that I personally find the concept art more interesting than the old scheme. It's by no means a literal take on Beauty and the Beast, and it looks grownup rather than child-friendly. I just hope the end result doesn't feel (too) out of place.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It's worth recalling that Mrs Potts and Chip are represented on the floor next to the Garden View Tea Room, so this particular IP isn't entirely new to the Grand Floridian.

348s.jpg

I agree that it's an iffy choice of theme for the bar, but I have to admit that I personally find the concept art more interesting than the old scheme. It's by no means a literal take on Beauty and the Beast, and it looks grownup rather than child-friendly. I just hope the end result doesn't feel (too) out of place.
Decoration versus experience. While a bit anachronistic, that is intended to recall an external reference (decoration), and not place one within a world (experience).

LittleBuford

Decoration versus experience. While a bit anachronistic, that is intended to recall an external reference (decoration), and not place one within a world (experience).

Indeed. And from the concept art, it doesn’t look like the bar will attempt to place you in that world either.

Flynnwriter

This UGLY lounge has nothing to do with the theming or story of the hotel. There is no way this is a Disney designer - it looks like a Hilton or Marriott hotel. It’s random, generic design, more grey, and represents more problems ahead for Disney resorts as they slowly chisel away at their brand. Don’t listen to guests - do what you have always done. Create places that don’t look like the outside world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom