Mission: Space tragedy

angelofitaly69

The Mom said:
I HAVE performed CPR many times, working in a situation where it's use would be expected, so have a few things to add.

1. Even though you KNOW a patient could arrest at any time, it's still a "surprise" when it happens.

2. There a lots of things that could cause loss of consciousness other than cardiac arrest! The first thing you have to do is a quick assessment, which consists of painful stimuli and shouting in order to get a response. If not, you check for a pulse/airway obstruction simultaneously. (It can be done)

3. If there is no pulse, you THEN start CPR! You can actually kill someone by starting CPR if there is a heartbeat.

90 seconds doesn't seem like a terrible delay to me.

There is another saying that says the first thing you should do is take a deep breathe yourself to calm down before attempting anything.

Very well put MOM. I have also done CPR many times and as the old expression goes: What can go wrong, will. Full arrests are the hardest thing IMO, that a person who has little experience working them, can go through.

TheDisneyGirl02

pax_65 said:
On our local news in Philly last night (again the prior mentioned WCAU), they talked about a lawsuit between ETC - who manufactured the centrifuge of MS - and Disney. Supposedly, ETC is upset because Disney didn't allow them to participate in the safety testing of the ride.

So although there's no real evidence to suggest that Mission Space isn't safe, the suggestion is that proper safety testing was not done since ETC wasn't permitted to participate.

Sigh...

Jon
I've heard that too. Here is a link to the newspaper article from Allentown, PA which discusses it.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_2boyjun15,0,3479153.story

I think it's being covered around here because it's a local company who is filing or filed suit.

TheDisneyGirl02

PurpleDragon

wannab@dis said:
I know what you are trying to say, but that's not really true. Someone died on PotC. It happens. There's no way to know when / how anything will affect a condition that is lying under the surface.

How many MILLIONS have ridden PotC without a problem? Same is true for most any thrill rides.

It was just a joke, which speck76 got. :sohappy:

It wouldn't have happened cause in its later years no one ever rode World of Motion. It was more of a jab at the older rides rather than their saftey aspect. I was just trying to lighten the mood here, cause some people are flaming others for posting their opinions on this sensitive issue. :(

I know that at any given time, given the right stimuli, someone can become ill or injured, which can lead to death. It sometimes cannot be avoided and is tragic when it happens. There is no possible way to guaruntee no one will be hurt on a ride in some way, shape, or form. As I said, the best WDW can do is give out as many warnings as they can, and leave it up to the guest to make a rational informed decision.

IMO, I don't think anyone should be to blame here. Cause if the ride was functioning normally and all other passengers in the pod as this boy came out okay, it makes me believe that this had more to do with the boys physical health than the ride itself. As I said, the ride affects everyone differently, so there was no true way of knowing this would happen.

KingStefan

tazhughes said:
I have to disagree with you here. Someone expressing their opinion (thats what the purpose of this forum is) that they do not feel that a 4 year old should be on this ride is not them being heartless. That is their opinion. Like you my prayers go out to the family.
Certainly, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that to state an opinion that has even the slightest chance of a reader inferring that you are saying the poor mother was to blame is insensitive. That is MY opinion.

Certainly if someone says they feel that 4-year-old should not be allowed to go on this ride, that is one thing. I don't think that is insensitive at all. If anything it is a caring sentiment. But many of these posts have a superior "tone" about them. As if to say (and sometimes actually saying, as I recall) "what was this mother thinking - of course I would have never done what she did!". That's a very different thing, and even though it is the posters opinion, and that poster has every right to say it on this forum, I still think that it's insensitive.

wannab@dis

Interesting, although sad, tidbit that I found in an article... This goes to show that anything can be considered dangerous at a Theme Park, even steps!

Deaths at Disney World

Four deaths involving Walt Disney World rides have occurred since 2001, according to reports filed with the state:

Feb. 7, 2003: A 31-year-old woman falls on the steps leading into the pool at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Gang Plank Falls, fracturing her ankle. She dies March 2 as a result of a pulmonary embolism.

March 28, 2003: An 81-year-old woman reports a heart attack after riding Epcot's Universe of Energy and later dies.

Dec. 24, 2004: An 11-year-old girl collapses in line at the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain ride and later dies.

Feb. 13, 2005: A 77-year-old woman loses consciousness after exiting the Magic Kingdom's Pirates of the Caribbean ride and later dies.

timleeson

Mission Space: Maybe A New Warning

I was a person who tried a pre-opening ride on Mission Space. After the ride I had a 30 minute episode of pressure in my chest. In the next two days I had dizzy spells as well as weakness and was cold & clammy. When I went home I retested myself for a family heart ailment that I was tested for 10 years prior and no discovery of the ailment at that time. I am now 53 and have found out that I now have the ailment. Now, I've been to WDW over 10 times since my test 10 years prior, as well as to Paramount Kings Island and Cedar Point and have never had any incidents. So like everyone else I see the signs and warnings but feel that I'm healthy enough to ride. The intensity of this next generation of simulator rides is soo great that maybe its time to add a different wording to the normal warnings. There are a lot of people who have health conditions who are unaware of them or the recent occurence of a condition. Having been to WDW over 30 times in the last 25 years....I can't see how anyone can condone Disney for this. They definately don't want this type of publicity and usually do everything to avoid it. This is an unfortunate and sad incident to happen at the happiest place on Earth.

imagineer boy

I just skimmed through most of the thread and wow... just wow. I've never seen such a thread where so many arguments have broken out. So far, 2 people have been banned in this thread, and many others have come awefully close. So, let's put all of this behind us and lets dance in the land of sunshine, smilies, puppies, and ponies! :sohappy:

speck76

imagineer boy said:
I just skimmed through most of the thread and wow... just wow. I've never seen such a thread where so many arguments have broken out. So far, 2 people have been banned in this thread, and many others have come awefully close. So, let's put all of this behind us and lets dance in the land of sunshine, smilies, puppies, and ponies! :sohappy:

I think it was the same person....twice....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
imagineer boy said:
So far, 2 people have been banned in this thread, and many others have come awefully close. So, let's put all of this behind us and lets dance in the land of sunshine, smilies, puppies, and ponies! :sohappy:

Both were previoulsy banned members who had seized on the opportunity to try and cause some problems, hence their swift banning. Neither were here to be proper members of the community,

lawyergirl77

testtracker said:
Does anyone have a picture of the warning signs, or were they all audio? cant remember
There are signs posted everywhere, as well as audio and video warning signs throughout the queue, the pre-show and the pre-boarding area.

I can see why you wouldn't remember them... They're kind of subtle about them...:rolleyes: (Not rolling my eyes at you!!!) The fact that you don't remember them is an argument in favour of the "warnings lose their effectiveness when there are too many of them" hypothesis. Hmmm... *picks up her Sherlock Holmes pipe*

Slipknot

lawyergirl77 said:
There are signs posted everywhere, as well as audio and video warning signs throughout the queue, the pre-show and the pre-boarding area.

I can see why you wouldn't remember them... They're kind of subtle about them...:rolleyes: (Not rolling my eyes at you!!!) The fact that you don't remember them is an argument in favour of the "warnings lose their effectiveness when there are too many of them" hypothesis. Hmmm... *picks up her Sherlock Holmes pipe*

Just a little add on to quoted post: they also show you a clip of what the ride does with one or two of the warning screens. It looked harmless the first time I went on it, but you can really feel the G's, at least I have.

testtracker

Well, the last time i rode was two years ago, almost right after it opened and there was nobody there so we walked right on. i do remember the video with Gary Sinise. I do recall large signs lining the wall and audio warnings right before you board.

swincha

objr said:
Thats my understanding as well....proper tests were done...M:S is a safe ride...no one has died on it (even if the media attempts to spin it other wise)...whether it contributed to the child's death in this case...that remains to be seen...hopefully the family finds some closure to this whole incident quickly...

why oh why do people feel so compelled to defend this ride? it appears a child did die on this ride. it should be shut down until they know for sure. the media? the child died on the ride. i wouldn't let any of my kids on this ride after this and before only my teenager.

its not the happiest place when someone dies.

swincha

Miss Bell said:
Does Disney have difibulators on the ground? If so, can any of the cast members on the boards say where they are--like is there one in each ride area?

Again--I am not critizing Disney or CM's for not using one, if it is available, but with all this talk of CPR, I have been surprised this hasn't come up. With so many sports-related deaths, and kids that have just had unexplained heart attacks, these are becoming standard equipment at all schools.

they have aed machines. i saw them on their maps. a child rarely has a death that is caused by their heart stopping also. usually a respiratory arrest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom