Mission: Space tragedy

speck76

wdwmagic said:
Just a note for anyone who may be about to listen to that audio, it is distressing, and I think it should not be in the public domain.

I agree.....some things should not be released to the public.

What good does it do.

Unfortunately, they were playing the call all over the news last night.......

William Shatner's wife died a few years ago (found floating in the pool, possible suicide) and the news had the poor taste to play his distressed call to 911 (after all, he was the host of Rescue 911 back in the day)

very poor taste that this happens.

PhotoDave219

I see no news value of the recording of the 911 Call.

Transcript yes, actual call no. It adds nothing to to the story that we havent already learned.

EDIT: However..... after listening to the call, the dispatch sounds normal until they find out they guest is not breathing. It sounds exactly like the two times i had to call for guests.

I dont feel comfortable telling the entire world about any of those incidents or the experiences ive had with RCES. Suffice to say, based on the times i worked with them, they got there extremely fast - considering that they would have been dispatched during the call.

DanStat

While this child's death is very tragic, I feel the circumstances exacerbate the situation. Disney bears no monetary responsibility for the death. Shouldn't all riders be able to read and understand the warnings before the board the ride? If not, they shouldn't ride.

The suggestion for Disney to remove all of it's marketing is absurd. They are a company.

CNN showed a graphic of the M:S simulator "pods". They had it continually looped, so it looked like it was jerking around. I've been on the ride, most of you have and you know that's not how it works. People who haven't been on the ride will see that, however, and form a negative opinion of how the ride operates.

The over-exaggeration to place blame is ridiculous and misguided. The family needs time to mourn, and hopefully, this will be resolved without a lawsuit. Suing Disney for a death on one of their rides would be equivocal to suing after a car crash in a state with a toll road.

Also, someone said something about the media not reporting on suicides - most stations have a policy to not report on suicides unless the death affected a large group of people (i.e. - celebrity).

This was an accident. Not a pre-planned murder.

PurpleDragon

I think this is a tragic situation and is difficult to say what the exact cause of death may have been. My heart goes out to the childs family.

But I will say M:S is definately intense, even for me. I am a thrill ride enthusiast, I have ridden every thrill ride I have come across, and walked away wanting to ride again and again, with no ill effect. But when I rode M:S, though I did enjoy it, it did not sit well with me after I got off the ride. I have never experienced this on any thrill ride prior to M:S at all, and there have been alot of them. I have ridden hundreds of coasters, simulators, and other centrifuge type rides in the past with no problem. See I have a history of sinus problems and migraines in my family, and when I ride M:S I get an intense feeling of dizzyness and drowsiness, and the last time I rode it it actually triggered a migraine:confused: . The strange thing is, other members of my family with the same type sinus problems and migraine history, experienced nothing like what I experienced when riding M:S.

Basically my point is that no matter how many years of testing you do on a ride, there is no way to tell how the ride experience will affect each and every person. So the best you can do is to warn people that there is a possible risk involved when riding this attraction and hope people use common sense when making the decision to ride or not. But really there is no way even the rider will know how the ride will affect them until it is already too late.

Centrifuge type rides can do strange things to the body, causing blood to rush in/out of specific areas of the brain and body, causing various side effects and disorientation. Some people are not affected by this at all, but others end up with more intense reactions and become ill due to this.

I love this ride and think its an amazing feat of technology, but this just goes to show the negative side to building thrill rides.

This would have never happened on World of Motion.:D (just trying put a smile on someones face)

wannab@dis

PurpleDragon said:
This would have never happened on World of Motion.:D (just trying put a smile on someones face)

I know what you are trying to say, but that's not really true. Someone died on PotC. It happens. There's no way to know when / how anything will affect a condition that is lying under the surface.

How many MILLIONS have ridden PotC without a problem? Same is true for most any thrill rides.

Computer Magic

PhotoDave219 said:
I see no news value of the recording of the 911 Call.

Transcript yes, actual call no. It adds nothing to to the story that we havent already learned.

EDIT: However..... after listening to the call, the dispatch sounds normal until they find out they guest is not breathing. It sounds exactly like the two times i had to call for guests.

I dont feel comfortable telling the entire world about any of those incidents or the experiences ive had with RCES. Suffice to say, based on the times i worked with them, they got there extremely fast - considering that they would have been dispatched during the call.
The CM and RCES were extremely fast and professional when someone fainted while standing in the Safari line at AK. I was very impressed with the way they handled the situation.

Atlantix2000

In all the talk of the time it took to respond to this emergency, there are several factors no one has mentioned. If I'm remembering things correctly from the many pages I've read, the news reports quoted above have said it was 90 seconds into the call before the 911 dispatcher knew the kid wasn't breathing, 2.5 minutes into the call before CPR was started, and 4 minutes into the call before paramedics arrived. But nobody mentioned how fast the call was made in the first place.

What if the child was still in the ride's restraints when his mom and/or a CM shouts "somebody call 911"? It's hardly unreasonable for it to take 90 seconds just to get the kid loose and moved to a safe space especially in the confusion of other people exiting the ride. And even then, if one CM is responding the child, s/he has to relay what is going on to the CM actually on the phone. And somebody has to call for more help, notify supervisors, and keep other people away.

Speaking as someone who worked as a lifeguard for 5 summers, the first couple minutes of an emergency are extremely chaotic. In fact, we generally had no idea why we were clearing the pool, only that one of us had just jumped into the water. Was a kid just struggling to reach the side of the pool, or did someone just hit their head on the diving board? Would a 911 call be needed? It took time to figure out.

It's very easy to sit back and question everything. Reporters are paid to do it. But they and we need to be reasonable. People will respond as quickly as they can in an emergency. And most people should agree that 4 minutes from 911 call to paramedic arrival is an excellent response.

--A2K

pax_65

Safety of Mission Space - ETC Lawsuit

On our local news in Philly last night (again the prior mentioned WCAU), they talked about a lawsuit between ETC - who manufactured the centrifuge of MS - and Disney. Supposedly, ETC is upset because Disney didn't allow them to participate in the safety testing of the ride.

So although there's no real evidence to suggest that Mission Space isn't safe, the suggestion is that proper safety testing was not done since ETC wasn't permitted to participate.

Sigh...

Jon

speck76

pax_65 said:
On our local news in Philly last night (again the prior mentioned WCAU), they talked about a lawsuit between ETC - who manufactured the centrifuge of MS - and Disney. Supposedly, ETC is upset because Disney didn't allow them to participate in the safety testing of the ride.

So although there's no real evidence to suggest that Mission Space isn't safe, the suggestion is that proper safety testing was not done since ETC wasn't permitted to participate.

Sigh...

Jon

I have not heard that.....I have only heard that ETC was upset because WDC made them sign an agreement that they could not sell this technology to any other theme park operator.

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
I have not heard that.....I have only heard that ETC was upset because WDC made them sign an agreement that they could not sell this technology to any other theme park operator.

I believe that is what instigated the strife between the two companies. From my understanding, once the strife began, WDI cancelled the remaining parts of their contract with ETC (which included the final testing phase). WDI by that time was well aware of how the system worked and would be tested.

Shaman

wannab@dis said:
I believe that is what instigated the strife between the two companies. From my understanding, once the strife began, WDI cancelled the remaining parts of their contract with ETC (which included the final testing phase). WDI by that time was well aware of how the system worked and would be tested.

Thats my understanding as well....proper tests were done...M:S is a safe ride...no one has died on it (even if the media attempts to spin it other wise)...whether it contributed to the child's death in this case...that remains to be seen...hopefully the family finds some closure to this whole incident quickly...

tazhughes

KingStefan said:
No, not you. But there are others who have said terribly insensitive things like "I have to put most of the blame with the parents", and "I certainly wouldn't let a 4 year old on MS", and "there's no way the parents should have let a four-year-old on this ride (paraphrased)", etc. Shameless. You know who you are. Some have taken an attitude like they are omniscient when we have no idea what happened yet. Also shameless.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I have to disagree with you here. Someone expressing their opinion (thats what the purpose of this forum is) that they do not feel that a 4 year old should be on this ride is not them being heartless. That is their opinion. Like you my prayers go out to the family.

Miss Bell

Not Critizing--just asking

Does Disney have difibulators on the ground? If so, can any of the cast members on the boards say where they are--like is there one in each ride area?

Again--I am not critizing Disney or CM's for not using one, if it is available, but with all this talk of CPR, I have been surprised this hasn't come up. With so many sports-related deaths, and kids that have just had unexplained heart attacks, these are becoming standard equipment at all schools.

speck76

Miss Bell said:
Does Disney have difibulators on the ground? If so, can any of the cast members on the boards say where they are--like is there one in each ride area?

Again--I am not critizing Disney or CM's for not using one, if it is available, but with all this talk of CPR, I have been surprised this hasn't come up. With so many sports-related deaths, and kids that have just had unexplained heart attacks, these are becoming standard equipment at all schools.

they do

They are not at every attraction to my knowledge....but there locations are listed on the park map.

http://disney.go.com/safety/

The Mom

Premium Member
I HAVE performed CPR many times, working in a situation where it's use would be expected, so have a few things to add.

1. Even though you KNOW a patient could arrest at any time, it's still a "surprise" when it happens.

2. There a lots of things that could cause loss of consciousness other than cardiac arrest! The first thing you have to do is a quick assessment, which consists of painful stimuli and shouting in order to get a response. If not, you check for a pulse/airway obstruction simultaneously. (It can be done)

3. If there is no pulse, you THEN start CPR! You can actually kill someone by starting CPR if there is a heartbeat.

90 seconds doesn't seem like a terrible delay to me.

There is another saying that says the first thing you should do is take a deep breathe yourself to calm down before attempting anything.

Testtrack321

Wow, gone to the parks for a few days and now I come back and the world falls down around us!

People have died on many rides, remember someone died on Body Wars from a pre-existing heart condition, etc.

CTXRover

pax_65 said:

Sigh...

Jon

My understanding of that law suit is for money ETC feels Disney still owes them. They were supposedly left out of the "structural" safety tests of the ride after Disney designed there own set of safety systems and had run their own lengthy periods of testing. The ride did not malfunction, it is structurally sound, and two years of testing with 8.6 million riders proves the ride is safe beyond anything ETC could have done before the ride opened. Its another way for the media to twist the facts for a "better story".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom