Mission: Space tragedy

bhg469

I can't even imagine how devastated that family must be. The fact that it was a young kid makes it even worse.

MKCustodial

This seems to be like the Brazilian kid who died earlier this year after riding the same attraction several times, one of the coasters I think. The little girl had some condition as well. I remember that at the time no one here on the boards had heard anything about it, but we heard about it down here because the kid was on vacation with Xuxa, a major star.

Tim G

Here's the original article...

4-Year-Old Died After Going On Epcot Ride

POSTED: 8:47 am EDT June 14, 2005

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Orange County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 4-year-old boy who died after riding an attraction at Walt Disney World that has caused previous concerns because of its intensity.

Officials say Daudi Bamuwamye (DOH'-dee bahm-yoo-WAHM'-yay) of Pennsylvania passed out after riding the Mission: Space attraction at Epcot with his mother and sister. He was taken to the hospital, but later pronounced dead.

Orange County detectives have confirmed that the boy did meet the 44 inch height requirement for the ride.

During an eight-month period that ended last year, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding Mission: Space. It was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state.

Although the 2004 reports showed no major injuries or illnesses from the ride, the hospital visits came up in discussions with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride, which uses a multi-arm centrifuge to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.

CAPTAIN HOOK

This is indeed a terrible tragedy. The poor lads death could have been :-
from an unknown pre-existing condition,
from natural causes, or,
due to the nature of the ride and his age.
However, lets take a moment to pass our condolences to the lads family and to consider the welfare issues surrounding them and to the CMs that were involved and affected by the incident

GSpiff

I've also heard the child did not meet the height requirement. Not to sound cold, but a four year old on a ride as intense as Mission:Space should never have happened. The parents should have been aware of all the warnings and made a judgement call not to allow a small child on such an intense ride. But mistakes do happen.
Someone mentioned people becoming desensitized to the warnings, but I think Disney did its job in trying to break people of that habit for Mission:Space. Last time I saw that many plasma TV's was at Circuit City. They couldn't possibly have done more to combat the old mantra of "We never saw the warning signs". There simply may have been no pre-existing condition. As someone who works in the medical field, the child may have died for a number of reasons. That much stress on a body that is as fragile as that of a four year old's is asking for problems.

However, this is still a tragedy and my thoughts definitely go out to that family.

tigsmom

MKCustodial said:
... but we heard about it down here because the kid was on vacation with Xuxa, a major star.

I she still around? I remember when her show was shown here... marketed to kids, but not very kid friendly. :lookaroun

This is just my opinion, but I personally, would not take a 4 y/o on that ride.

sissa216

objr said:
Perhaps the parents in this case were not aware of any medical conditions the boy might have...perhaps this was something that was hidden, that they hadn't caught yet.

As horrible as that seems, that's what I would hope for in order for the parents to keep their sanity. Can you imagine what horrible guilt they'd feel and how easily they'd blame themselves if they knew about it?

I guess, no matter what, the parents are probably thinking "if only I'd"...about a million things they could have been doing instead.

Shaman

Corrus said:
Here's the original article...

4-Year-Old Died After Going On Epcot Ride

POSTED: 8:47 am EDT June 14, 2005

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Orange County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 4-year-old boy who died after riding an attraction at Walt Disney World that has caused previous concerns because of its intensity.

Officials say Daudi Bamuwamye (DOH'-dee bahm-yoo-WAHM'-yay) of Pennsylvania passed out after riding the Mission: Space attraction at Epcot with his mother and sister. He was taken to the hospital, but later pronounced dead.

Orange County detectives have confirmed that the boy did meet the 44 inch height requirement for the ride.

During an eight-month period that ended last year, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding Mission: Space. It was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state.

Although the 2004 reports showed no major injuries or illnesses from the ride, the hospital visits came up in discussions with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride, which uses a multi-arm centrifuge to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.

On my last visit paramedics were called in, they placed a woman on a wheel chair and brought her out...she didn't go to the hospital, but was being looked at by the paramedics (in the end they gave her husband something to sign and that was the end of it)...she seemed dizzy and uncomfortable...my guess is she didn't follow directions...

I wonder how that hospital visit statistic will affect the ride in the long run...

Shaman

tigsmom said:

Mad, I agree...I was surprised to see this child was 4 years old....thinking back I don't remember many instances where I've seen kids that young go on this ride...

chancellor

tigsmom said:

Ditto. I have a 4 year old, so I can't imagine how devastated this family is. On the other hand, I would never even think of taking him on M:S. Heck, when I rode it I actually thought the warnings got me more worked up than the ride itself. I have honestly never seen more warnings on a theme park ride than the bombardment they give you at M:S.

I think we will start to see age requirements in addition to height requirements for some of these rides.

tigger1968

Although I suspect this this is a case of an underlying undiagnosed medical problem, an interesting point has been mentioned here. I think we do become de-sensitized to the warnings for rides. However, MS is not really like anything out there, so additionall warnings may do no good. My first and only time on MS is a good case in point. My wife and I rode MS when it first opened. We were so excited to ride, it was going to be the highlight of our trip. However, while I got off feeling slightly dizzy, my wife became very ill. She was nauseous and dizzy for well over an hour afterward, and she has ridden any number of other thrill rides with no ill effects. We never anticipated any problems, based on our history of riding thrill rides. Needless to say, we will never ride MS again. Later that night, while waiting for RoE, we talked with the couple next to us, who had had almost the same reactions. He was fine, but his wife was very ill afterwards. They mentioned that when they exited the ride building, there was a man throwing up in the grass after riding. He was unable to stop, and paramedics had to be called to assist him. PLEASE don't take me as being against MS. I love the concept, and fully support the ride. I just know that my wife and I will never get on it again because of our personal experiences.

Kadee

tigsmom said:
I she still around? I remember when her show was shown here... marketed to kids, but not very kid friendly. :lookaroun

I was wondering when SOMEONE was going to say that!!!!! Should have know it would be YOU, Tigsmom. Always the voice of reason!!:D I would NEVER let a 4 year old go on a ride like that, either. Stick to Fantasyland. Just because it is IN WDW doesn't mean kids should ride it (especially a 4 y.o). Maybe they should consider "AGE" requirements on some rides to protect children from those parents who lack common sense.

That said, it is very tragic. I feel terribly bad for the family.

I remember Xuxa, too. Horrible show! Didn't let my daughter watch it!

tigsmom

objr said:
Mad, I agree...I was surprised to see this child was 4 years old....thinking back I don't remember many instances where I've seen kids that young go on this ride...

Last year my DH took our then 9 y/o on the ride (she is almost 5 ft tall). She seemed fine when she got off, but about 15 minutes later she was violently ill and felt sick for the rest of the day. I saw quite a few kids her age that day, but I don't remember seeing anyone younger though quite a few were crying because they could not ride.

Its a tragedy and I'm sure the parents are beating themselves up right now.

My heart goes out to them. :(

Shaman

Found this AP article on abcnews.com (of all places):

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=847495

4-Year-Old Dies After Epcot Attraction

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. Jun 14, 2005 — A 4-year-old boy died after passing out while aboard Walt Disney World's "Mission: Space" attraction a ride that has caused previous concerns because of its intensity.

Daudi Bamuwamye passed out Monday afternoon while on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff's Office said his mother carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.

Paramedics tried to revive him, but he died about 5 p.m. at Celebration Hospital.

The sheriff's office said the boy did meet the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride at the Epcot theme park, which simulates twice the normal force of gravity.

A cause of death could not be immediately determined and an autopsy was expected Tuesday.

Officials said the boy was from Pennsylvania, but his hometown was not immediately available. He was on the ride with his mother and sister.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride. During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding it, though none of them was found to have any serious injuries.

It was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report such problems to the state. Updated figures were not immediately available.

Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the ride.

"For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure," one sign on view last year said.

Disney officials in a statement after the boy's death that they are "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time."

MKCustodial

tigsmom said:

Yeah, the old hag is stil around. :lol: In the late 90's she turned to teens, but now she's back to the kids. She even has a musical video & DVD series aimed for toddlers.
I suppose for US standards, she could be seen as a bit raunchy, but that's standard children show down here. She was the pioneer on the whole leggy blonde in shorts hosting cartoons and competitions for kids on TV, and a ton of others came after that.

peter11435

SoFlaDisneyFan said:
He was a young man with autism, so there was a reason for his standing regardless of warning.
He was 37, not what I would consider a "young man." And while his condition was there he should have been traveling with someone else who knew better.

tazhughes

I'm not sure age requirements will work, it's not liek you can ask them for a drivers license. There are many kids that are big for their age and would be able to get on because of parents lying about their age. Parents do it all the time when they want to get their 10 year old a child's admission ticket.

I think most likely what will happen is they will raise the height requirement to try and do the same thing that an age requirement will do. Sad that one incident may affect so many people.

I too would have never let my 4 year old ride Mission Space, I was hesitant when she was 8, but I did take her on her 1st roller coaster when she was 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom