Mission: Space tragedy

Very sad sad,

Well, it was just reported here on the local news 1st thing this morning...At 1st they reported that he was pronounced dead at celebration hospital, and also that the height restriction was not met and may have come into play somehow. Then later in the report they had new information from the sheriffs office stating that did not come into play as the boy did meet the 44" requirement...

brich

I'm some what taken back by the amount of conclusions drawn from the little information we have here. How can so many of you just assume that it was a pre existing condition and that this is nobodies fault? I, as much as the next person, hope there was no negligence nor mechanical issues on Disney's part. And to say that people are warned of the risks associated with the ride makes it any less painful? Maybe some of you should you should notify the State of Florida's Coroner's office and save them the expense of the autopsy.
Its sad. WDW employes over 50,000 CMs in slow periods and you cant imagine how many guests come through each day. Its bound to happen to someone. I too was working at mission:space today during the incident. Very sad, but it happens, so cry or pray or do whatever you do. Lets not blow this up into the media and move on.
And this just tops it all. A child dying at Disney is bound to happen. Lets not blow this up? We should just put it behind and move on? And then you finish with a "Have a Nice Day" :confused:
It's not that this child won't be able to enjoy WDW anymore. This child is dead. For once, put down the Disney is Utopia flag and spend a minute thinking about this loss for the family. For them, this is no longer the Happiest Place on Earth, no matter who is ultimately responsible... :rolleyes:

daveemtdave

The article about this is on CNN's homepage for the Southern States. Yes, it is tragic; however, no one knows when something will happen. He was 4 years old and according to the article he met the height requirements. It is sad and you feel for the family; however, we don't know if maybe there was an underlining problem. Look at the number of children who die playing sports every year. You just have to cherish the moments you have together.

This tragic story is on all the news stations here in South Florida, including the Local10 broadcast. No more news is provided than what the article above states, but it does seem some pre-existing condition was a major if not definite factor of this terrible outcome. As some have already stated, it was nothing technical that went wrong with the ride itself, so the chances anything will happen to Mission Space are very slim.

This family is in my prayers.

Bluewaves

This was just on CNN, just a statment of what happened and that Florida police are investigating. That was it just a blurb for 10 seconds.

Its sad whenever this kinda thing happens, but mostly a pre existing condition but still sad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With out doubt it is a tragic loss. I have a 4 year old daughter (as well as a 11 and 13 year old daughter) and if anything happened to them I honestly don't know what I would do. IMHO part of the problem is the warnings on the rides. I know your are thinking "What!?" but just follow me on this one. Nearly every ride you go on at Disney or any other theme park or carnival has warnings out the wazoo regardless of the intensity. So what has happened over the years is people have become desensitized to these warnings and because of that they ignore them. The majority of guests at Disney are no were near as informed as the average WDWMagic forum member as to how intense a ride is. So they walk into a ride lets say Soarin and the see the warnings "If you are subject to motion sickness or are afraid of heights or have pre-existing medical conditions do not ride this attraction" (paraphrasing of course) They ride Soarin and have a great time. They did not get sick or scared and the warnings appear to be unsubstantiated. Now this same person goes to MS. While the warnings are more severe than Saorin they think to themselves "Well Soarin had all those warnings and nothing happened, Disney just puts those warnings on all these rides so they don't get sued." So they get on MS and wind up puking their guts out because they are susceptible to motion sickness. Because the general populous is so sue happy theme parks are forced to put these warnings on attractions where they really are not justified so people just ignore them.

This will be added to the short list of the tragic, untimely deaths that have occured in WDW, but it seems to be the least severe regarding fault of the company itself. The company faced much bigger issues upon the loss of the Splash Mountain boy, the night crew worker and the Sky Lift, and the poor cast member and the parade float.

tigsmom

Just read about it on the Sentinal's site. It is very tragic and an autopsy will be done to find out the cause of death.

Shaman

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-epcotdeath061405,0,779821.story?coll=orl-home-headlines
4-year-old dies after riding Mission: Space

4-year-old boy died Monday after riding the Mission: Space attraction at Epcot, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Orange County detectives say Daudi Bamuwamye of Pennsylvania boarded the ride with his sister and mother Monday afternoon. According to officials, the 4-year-old met the 44-inch height requirement for the ride.

Witnesses saw the mother carry the boy out of the attraction, a sheriff's spokesman said. Epcot employees helped her place him on a nearby bench then called Reedy Creek paramedics.

The boy was transported to Celebration Hospital where he was pronounced dead just before 5 p.m.

The cause of death will be determined by the county medical examiner. The sheriff's office is still investigating the accident.

This is sad.

Grim Grinner

I think we're all in agreement that death is a terrible thing, however it IS a part of life. Although it's not reported, people die of mysterious reasons all the time at a variety of places. Supermarkets, malls, shopping centers. Theme parks are hit with this due to the levels of adrenaline, stress and often g-forces. In fact, they have roughly the same rate as for those who fly.

I have an aneurysm in my head, that I've had to deal with it since I was young. It's terrifying to know that any trauma to my head and I stand a chance of bleeding to death. I've had a couple of close calls, near death experience and all. That being said, I ride the rides- I live my life.

I cannot see in any way that the ride could be held at fault assuming all operations were normal. The basic operation of the centrifuges should not be able to kill someone outright, as the normal tolerances are well within safety levels.

Pre-existing conditions cause many deaths each year. People die in line at malls while waiting to pay- the heat and stress hits them. G-forces can dislodge and form bloodclots for those of poor health. Heck, people have had serious problems of a lot tamer rides.

I may sound callous or cold, but stark reality is that we're here for a short time and we must make the best of it. Worrying about which day is the last merely prevents us from realizing how much a gift life truly is. My heart goes out to the family, but also to those castmembers who had to manage a difficult time. I;m sure these events weigh heavily upon them as well.

peter11435

SoFlaDisneyFan said:
This will be added to the short list of the tragic, untimely deaths that have occured in WDW, but it seems to be the least severe regarding fault of the company itself. The company faced much bigger issues upon the loss of the Splash Mountain boy, the night crew worker and the Sky Lift, and the poor cast member and the parade float.
Splash Mountain was not a boy but rather a grown man who did not understand the words remain seated.

righttrack

So sad. Needless to say that my prayers and thoughts go out to the child and the family as well as those who work on M:S. Hopefully we will find out what happened so that tragedy can be avoided in the future. Be it a medical issue, a ride fault, procedural issue, etc., whats most important now is that the investigators do their job and find out what happened.

Shaman

Grim Grinner said:
I think we're all in agreement that death is a terrible thing, however it IS a part of life. Although it's not reported, people die of mysterious reasons all the time at a variety of places. Supermarkets, malls, shopping centers. Theme parks are hit with this due to the levels of adrenaline, stress and often g-forces. In fact, they have roughly the same rate as for those who fly.

I have an aneurysm in my head, that I've had to deal with it since I was young. It's terrifying to know that any trauma to my head and I stand a chance of bleeding to death. I've had a couple of close calls, near death experience and all. That being said, I ride the rides- I live my life.

I cannot see in any way that the ride could be held at fault assuming all operations were normal. The basic operation of the centrifuges should not be able to kill someone outright, as the normal tolerances are well within safety levels.

Pre-existing conditions cause many deaths each year. People die in line at malls while waiting to pay- the heat and stress hits them. G-forces can dislodge and form bloodclots for those of poor health. Heck, people have had serious problems of a lot tamer rides.

I may sound callous or cold, but stark reality is that we're here for a short time and we must make the best of it. Worrying about which day is the last merely prevents us from realizing how much a gift life truly is. My heart goes out to the family, but also to those castmembers who had to manage a difficult time. I;m sure these events weigh heavily upon them as well.

Perhaps the parents in this case were not aware of any medical conditions the boy might have...perhaps this was something that was hidden, that they hadn't caught yet....to me it doesn't matter whether the ride was responsible or not right now, a kid died...Imagine being on vacation, with a son, a daughter a brother, a sister, a mother, a father...and for that person to suddenly die...that must be horrible...

Rides malfunction, just like people...M:S has been running for awhile now and I think has a decent track record, so one must call to question the boys health going into the ride (thats logical)...but anything is possible...as was evident in the Thunder Mountain incident...

We don't know enough yet about this issue...so we shouldn't assume anything at this point...Disney seems to be doing a good job keeping this under the radar...they're lucky news isn't exactly slow as of late...

Like I said its sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom