Mission:Space - Status and Future

Quietmouse

Why doesn’t NASA hook up with Disney and create a space/astronomy pavilion in the old mission space location? That seems like a no brainer? Or does nasa not have funds/desire to partner with Disney?

DreamfinderGuy

Why doesn’t NASA hook up with Disney and create a space/astronomy pavilion in the old mission space location? That seems like a no brainer? Or does nasa not have funds/desire to partner with Disney?
Disney did work with NASA for Mission: Space in the first place. They’re not gonna sponsor an EPCOT pavilion, especially considering that would be direct competition to Kennedy Space Center.

V_L_Raptor

Wouldn’t actually be that crazy. Kennedy Space Center and Space 220 are both operated by Delaware North.

Does DN pay rent for the space in the pavilion, or does Disney just contract them to run the restaurant operation?

Seems that with Disney's track record of third-party restaurants in Epcot (Marrakech, say), that might put some finitude on Space 220's arrangement.

I like Mission Space a lot. It used to be my favorite Epcot ride as a kid. But now I don't really think it needs to stay. I feel like Millennium Falcon does its entire gimmick better because the buttons actually do something. Also Cosmic Rewind opened in the same park and while its more fantasy space travel it's still a ride with space travel. I don't think it should be next to go but when it does go it won't be the end of the world. Most people never loved it as much as I did anyway. I think it's mostly because the ride it replaced. If it was a pure addition I think it would have helped it a lot. Also it probably should have launched with Green Team

Mickeynerd17

IMHO, while M:S is still a pretty popular attraction, I really do not expect it to last past 2035. Its already 21 years old and has seen relatively minimal changes over the years.

What I would like to see is a return to the original replacement concept for Horizons, except design the building to lean even more into the spaceship look with gantry towers on either side. Space220 would still be there but theme the exterior as a launch/landing pad support building.

Either way, I'd like to see a larger structure that dominates the skyline on that side of Future World. The M:S facade is beautiful, but simply too small.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom