Mission:Space - Status and Future

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
A revised space pavilion would need a long term sponsor given how rapidly space technology is changing. I'd suggest SpaceX, but I know that Elon has been a bit polarizing recently (personally, I feel like a pavilion sponsored by SpaceX would/could be pretty amazing)

osian

I'm going by the wait times vs. throughput and it is way less popular than most of the other attractions you listed.
Doesn't mean it isn't popular! And I was referring to those rides as being ones people get motion sickness on, which sort of proves that motion sickness isn't a problem in terms of whether the ride should stay or go. Anything that moves at a reasonable rate is going to induce motion sickness in some people, even travelling in cars, planes, trains, buses. And it's part of the theme park and amusement package, to have things that move and thrill people.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

All the parks need attractions that folks know they can get on when all else fails. I am a fan of Mission Space, and it should be kept around if only that it’s an attraction folks know they can get on.

There is enough destruction happening in WDW parks. Please leave Mission Space alone.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
All the parks need attractions that folks know they can get on when all else fails. I am a fan of Mission Space, and it should be kept around if only that it’s an attraction folks know they can get on.

There is enough destruction happening in WDW parks. Please leave Mission Space alone.
Wonders of Life should be priority if anything happens on that side of the park...but, we know current Disney

DCLcruiser

I'm fine with the green version myself...rode the "orange" version back when it was the only option and it was super intense for me.

I'm going by the wait times vs. throughput and it is way less popular than most of the other attractions you listed.
I've never found Orange to be intense, at least not more than a launch should be. IIRC, when it was new, Astronauts rode it and said it was very similar to a real launch.

If they want, maybe update the launch sequence to be shorter, and update the video graphics/mission.

osian

with the capacity and the average wait time...no it isn't popular
Less popular than some other attractions (by a formula of your own making) that cause motion sickness does not mean it's not popular. Does it? Literally, those two things are not the same, which is what your assertion was. This is getting into an I said, you said argument:

You: It's way less popular than most of those attractions you've listed.
Me: That doesn't mean it's not popular.
You: no (it does), that's what it literally means.

Erm, you're wrong.

Last edited:

osian

Anyhow, getting back to business...

The post-show and childrens' activities could do with a refresh, it's all a bit dated I think. Or perhaps, wishful thinking, reconfigured as the pavilion entrance and "lobby", with a new doorway just to the left of Mars, and when inside turn right to the centrifuge simulator and left to enter a newly-repurposed Wonders of Life pavilion as Horizons or Space which, at that point, is very close to Mission Space and could be joined up. Like The Land and the external Soarin buildings. We agree on that.

No, that won't happen of course. But the post-show does need updating.

Who knows what the company has in store for Mission Space and/or Wonders of Life over the next 5, 10, 15 years. I'm not convinced that it's on their radar at all to do anything with it considering the number of things that probably need attention first. Then again, what they do is not always predictable. (MK, DHS...)

Last edited:

sedati

For me this would be a far greater loss than anything else excepting the original "Journey Into Imagination". The ride literally has no equivalent. I've never been on anything like it and will ride it as many times as I can each trip. I do wish for a grander pavilion around it, but do love it for what it is.

That said, I won't be the least bit surprised if and when this arrives on the chopping block. I will be sad, but I am realistic about it's struggle to fill it's lines.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I remember a rumor that the ride was one more guest heart attack away from being shut down as a liability.

It makes sense that it wouldn't be a top priority compared to SSE, Figment, and WOL. But the ride clearly isn't a stand out anchor for the park and anyone who has ridden the Orange Mission can attest that its more intense in how it effects people than any other ride in Orlando. A sudden closure for an expedited reimagining wouldn't shock me at all

Bocabear

If the ride had a fleshed-out "Space" pavilion attached with food another attraction or two and a nicer shop it would really feel like something. That is one of the problems with Space...it is not really a pavilion, just a ride... Yes, Horizon's was just a ride too, but a much more ambitious one. If you exited your spaceship and got onto a peoplemover styled continuous shuttle to the Mars Base Spaceport (WOL) where the adventure would continue, it would really be something special...and set up a reason for the Wonders Of Xandar to exist... Connecting the three pavilions...would feel like that quadrant of the front half of the park were always planned to exist together... Space would become the journey that the original Living Seas was....

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
If the ride had a fleshed-out "Space" pavilion attached with food another attraction or two and a nicer shop it would really feel like something. That is one of the problems with Space...it is not really a pavilion, just a ride... Yes, Horizon's was just a ride too, but a much more ambitious one. If you exited your spaceship and got onto a peoplemover styled continuous shuttle to the Mars Base Spaceport (WOL) where the adventure would continue, it would really be something special...and set up a reason for the Wonders Of Xandar to exist... Connecting the three pavilions...would feel like that quadrant of the front half of the park were always planned to exist together... Space would become the journey that the original Living Seas was....

Yeah, I know a lot got cut back from the post-show. I mean it has a few things but it's very small.

Bocabear

a play structure for toddlers and a space game is about the lowest bar of what they could have done... Sad really. Especially with what was originally discussed... It would make sense at this point to really combine the three attractions into a Space themed area... tie them all together... Xandar is the first planet to join the Planetary Showcase...

DreamfinderGuy

Something to note here is that for all intents and purposes Space 220 is an entirely separate building from M:S. It's connected by one tiny little hallway that's functionally useless, and that in itself is only there because it's a structural remnant from the old HP lounge. They could theoretically take the whole thing down without affecting 220 and do a proper space pavilion with 220 integrated. Will they? Most likely not lol, but it's not out of the question.

I'm also extremely opposed to them using WoL for anything Space related. We now have two pavilions with a core theme of "space" on that side of the park, we do not need a third. WoL should be its own thing whenever something finally happens to it, and hopefully Guardians will drop its space theme for something unique at some point so that EPCOT goes back to each pavilion having a unique theme.

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No
Something to note here is that for all intents and purposes Space 220 is an entirely separate building from M:S. It's connected by one tiny little hallway that's functionally useless, and that in itself is only there because it's a structural remnant from the old HP lounge. They could theoretically take the whole thing down without affecting 220 and do a proper space pavilion with 220 integrated. Will they? Most likely not lol, but it's not out of the question.

I'm also extremely opposed to them using WoL for anything Space related. We now have two pavilions with a core theme of "space" on that side of the park, we do not need a third. WoL should be its own thing whenever something finally happens to it, and hopefully Guardians will drop its space theme for something unique at some point so that EPCOT goes back to each pavilion having a unique theme.
On the contrary Mission Space drops its space theming because Guardians betta (I’ve never eaten at Space 220)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom