Mission:Space - Status and Future

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't see a thread about Mission:Space in here, so thought it might be good to start one if anyone wanted to discuss their thoughts.

I just watched this YT video from "For Your Entertainment" who has been doing attraction discussions and reviews lately. They have pretty decent content IMO:

Anyway, they do bring up some points about whether this attraction will be around in the next 5-10 years. I know Disney has their sights entirely elsewhere so I don't see anything happening to it in the near future, but it does usually have low wait times and a number of people who can't/won't go on it.

I wonder if they could make the experience less claustrophobic somehow? Maybe one larger screen for all 4 guests instead of an individual screen or something like that, as one of the primary complaints is how cramped it all is.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I posted in the Play pavilion thread that maybe they could turn the old WoL into a larger Mission:Space offshoot planetarium type of place with a lot of other activities since they're right next to each other and could easily add a path there.

rle4lunch

I didn't see a thread about Mission:Space in here, so thought it might be good to start one if anyone wanted to discuss their thoughts.

I just watched this YT video from "For Your Entertainment" who has been doing attraction discussions and reviews lately. They have pretty decent content IMO:

Anyway, they do bring up some points about whether this attraction will be around in the next 5-10 years. I know Disney has their sights entirely elsewhere so I don't see anything happening to it in the near future, but it does usually have low wait times and a number of people who can't/won't go on it.

I wonder if they could make the experience less claustrophobic somehow? Maybe one larger screen for all 4 guests instead of an individual screen or something like that, as one of the primary complaints is how cramped it all is.

I dunno, figment has had a 5 minute wait time for a decade, but they keep that trash ride on minimum life support... At least mission space is somewhat fun in comparison. They could easily upgrade the monitors in the ride vehicles and give it a new mission and get another 10 years out of it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I dunno, figment has had a 5 minute wait time for a decade, but they keep that trash ride on minimum life support... At least mission space is somewhat fun in comparison. They could easily upgrade the monitors in the ride vehicles and give it a new mission and get another 10 years out of it.

Figment also has a super high throughput...I don't know what M:S throughput is, anyone know?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I do miss Gary Sinise since he played an astronaut in a few movies I've watched. I don't mind Gina Torres at all as she has a lot of sci-fi credentials, but do wish they'd given her a different script. Currently it's practically the exact same as the old one.

Homemade Imagineering

The one thing at WDW I purposefully avoid doing, just because it sounds rather uninteresting & nauseating. As someone with a notorious background of motion sickness, I don’t see the appeal.

I do appreciate the fact it takes itself seriously & is an original concept however. The gimmick of being something akin to a real life NASA simulator is interesting. I appreciate the… authenticity? I don’t mind its presence but would absolutely trade it in a heartbeat for Horizons as any sane person would.

& as much as I hate those Horizons demolition photos & want justice for the former attraction, there are other attractions in much dire need of attention, including its vacant neighbor

Loose Pebble

I would love for them to revisit this attraction. Love the idea of a Space pavilion although agree that we’d have to wait for new Disney leadership so we wouldn’t just get some random IP shoved in.

That said, the music for mission space is awesome! So I hope they find a way to incorporate that or keep it somewhere. It fills me with optimism and hope.

christine7257

For Your Amusement has quickly become one of my favorite shows/podcasts. Fantastic content from true theme park fans. They are deep in the details, and I love it. As for Mission Space, it was a one and done for me as someone who does not enjoy small, enclosed spaces. Can't wait to see if it passes their world class test!

osian

I mentioned in another thread somwhere, it would be a great as part of an expanded, multi-experience space pavilion. It's a very clever demonstration and simulation of what it must be like to travel into space, something that might be a reality and a common occurrence in the future. To that end, it ties in neatly with the original Horizons concept and we already have the destination space restaurant neatly tied in. However, not sure that current Disney is on board with that sort of storytelling any more, in other words like the original Seas pavilion which took you into another realm via the seacabs...

Boxed in somewhat though with its next door neighbour which also has a space travel theme (and a very clever and very similar slingshot-around-the-moon forces demonstration). This wasn't thought through very well!

I understand that people who don't like it are very vocal, due to motion sickness etc. However, it is still a popular ride and many people do enjoy it, and it's just one of many WDW rides and attractions that are known to cause that sort of trouble for people...

Cosmic Rewind
Soarin
Ratatoullle
Circlevision films
Flight of Passage
Space Mountain
Tron
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur/Indiana Jones
Thunder Mountain
Rock n Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Star Tours

Oh, and those Kuka arms...Sum of all thrills?

This is part and parcel of theme park rides.

(Small World makes me heave...but that's for an entirely different reason. Altogether.)

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Mission Space is an excellent pavilion! And with the addition of Space 220, even better!

It was a great idea for them to have both more intense and less intense missions and that they are different missions.

They turned this into two attractions! I love the more intense mission but I go on both!

This pavilion is also feels very EPCOTy!

Its too bad, some folks hate this attraction for no reason.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I mentioned in another thread somwhere, it would be a great as part of an expanded, multi-experience space pavilion. It's a very clever demonstration and simulation of what it must be like to travel into space, something that might be a reality and a common occurrence in the future. To that end, it ties in neatly with the original Horizons concept and we already have the destination space restaurant neatly tied in. However, not sure that current Disney is on board with that sort of storytelling any more, in other words like the original Seas pavilion which took you into another realm via the seacabs...

Boxed in somewhat though with its next door neighbour which also has a space travel theme (and a very clever and very similar slingshot-around-the-moon forces demonstration). This wasn't thought through very well!

I understand that people who don't like it are very vocal, due to motion sickness etc. However, it is still a popular ride and many people do enjoy it, and it's just one of many WDW rides and attractions that are known to cause that sort of trouble for people...

Cosmic Rewind
Soarin
Ratatoullle
Circlevision films
Flight of Passage
Space Mountain
Tron
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur/Indiana Jones
Thunder Mountain
Rock n Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Star Tours

Oh, and those Kuka arms...Sum of all thrills?

This is part and parcel of theme park rides.

(Small World makes me heave...but that's for an entirely different reason. Altogether.)

I'm fine with the green version myself...rode the "orange" version back when it was the only option and it was super intense for me.

I'm going by the wait times vs. throughput and it is way less popular than most of the other attractions you listed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom