Mission Space original concept that never was artwork

EPCOTPluto

If I get to go, the plan is to run to Soarin, get a FP, and then run to TT.:lol:

I'm breaking my "SSE First" tradition, but it's worth it....:eek:

Technically, you just describe my EPCOT morning itinerary. :ROFLOL:

I usually then go to SSE after TT, even if the wait is 10 minutes. Sometimes, after TT, it's M:S, but then follows to either UoE or SSE.

Mad Stitch

It’s stories like that that make me worry about the Fantasyland plans not making it to fruition. Just like the blueprints for the redone Epcot Futureworld that never came about.

brentl1127

I thought Mission Space was a fun ride, there was never a line (went in May) and I thought the effect was great, I did not get motion sick or anything like that. I was disappointed in how you were just sort of dumped into a long hallway after it was over. But, I still really enjoyed the ride. Now if I went on the Yellow side, I think I would have thought it was stupid.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
The history as shown in the article is not really accurate. MS did not have the Space Station "cut" at all., That was a different concept. There have been many over the years. Another Space attraction was "up to bat" where it explored all of the myths of space in the movies, etc. WDW killed that too as it was too passive and that project was dead. No one would touch it. The single rider MMU was not practical as it had little capacity and huge costs associated as shown in the art. It is true that the budget was not there to do a whole pavilion and had to come almost entirely from a sponsor. the company didn't want to invest. :(, but WDW wanted a thrill attraction and would fund someone who presented a good one, and our first presentation was to do the MS capsule on a unseen indoor rollercoaster track that had adjustable speeds and it spiraled to give High G's inside the Horizons building. It was not smooth enough to be convincing as a capsule and took lots of area. The centrifuge came much later. I left the company 3 years before it opened, so lots happened after I left. It's a wonder that they got any pre or post show at all given the incredible fiscal restrictions they were under.

The short story is that WDW, (the client) wanted a thrill attraction to attract a younger demo (and MS does that) and put "a check" on the table for anyone who could propose one for the budget. All other ideas were dead. No one at WDI was biting! The producer from the last killed idea came to me and suggested we go out for "the check" and we did and that's what happened.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The history as shown in the article is not really accurate. MS did not have the Space Station "cut" at all., That was a different concept. There have been many over the years.

Thanks for commenting on that Eddie. It's been one of those long standing internet rumors that just wont go away. Perhaps now that someone who was deeply involved in this has commented, it might be revised!

EPCOT Explorer

The history as shown in the article is not really accurate. MS did not have the Space Station "cut" at all., That was a different concept. There have been many over the years. Another Space attraction was "up to bat" where it explored all of the myths of space in the movies, etc. WDW killed that too as it was too passive and that project was dead. No one would touch it. The single rider MMU was not practical as it had little capacity and huge costs associated as shown in the art. It is true that the budget was not there to do a whole pavilion and had to come almost entirely from a sponsor. the company didn't want to invest. :(, but WDW wanted a thrill attraction and would fund someone who presented a good one, and our first presentation was to do the MS capsule on a unseen indoor rollercoaster track that had adjustable speeds and it spiraled to give High G's inside the Horizons building. It was not smooth enough to be convincing as a capsule and took lots of area. The centrifuge came much later. I left the company 3 years before it opened, so lots happened after I left. It's a wonder that they got any pre or post show at all given the incredible fiscal restrictions they were under.

The short story is that WDW, (the client) wanted a thrill attraction to attract a younger demo (and MS does that) and put "a check" on the table for anyone who could propose one for the budget. All other ideas were dead. No one at WDI was biting! The producer from the last killed idea came to me and suggested we go out for "the check" and we did and that's what happened.
If anything...And if they couldn't have built M:S in FW West, that would have been the best. Keeps the building, and softens the blow of loosing the attraction.

The concept would have been pretty cool, too. Like a real life Space Mountain.

EpcotServo

If I get to go, the plan is to run to Soarin, get a FP, and then run to TT.:lol:

I'm breaking my "SSE First" tradition, but it's worth it....:eek:

Spaceship Earth you can always get too, even if it has a line it's an always moving line.

I am quite thankful I didn't do THAT, but yes, claustrophobia is a huge factor.

Just remember, I've seen GIGANTIC people ride. It only LOOKS small, there's actually quite a bit of room. Once you sit back in the seats and the panel comes down it's comfortable, just sit back and relax...If you fear being thrown out of a wild looping roller coaster, in theory you should have no problem being in a situation where you know you aren't going anywhere...
:lol:

Seriously though, It's just like Star Tours. It's all motion trickery, once you stop fearing all the hyperbole about the ride it's just a really cool simulator with unique sensations.

Was I cursing the entire time of my First Ride? YES. But I survived, and have been on it a hundred times since, so there's nothing to worry about.
:lol: :D

EPCOT Explorer

Spaceship Earth you can always get too, even if it has a line it's an always moving line.

Just remember, I've seen GIGANTIC people ride. It only LOOKS small, there's actually quite a bit of room. Once you sit back in the seats and the panel comes down it's comfortable, just sit back and relax...If you fear being thrown out of a wild looping roller coaster, in theory you should have no problem being in a situation where you know you aren't going anywhere...

Seriously though, It's just like Star Tours. It's all motion trickery, once you stop fearing all the hyperbole about the ride it's just a really cool simulator with unique sensations.

Was I cursing the entire time of my First Ride? YES. But I survived, and have been on it a hundred times since, so there's nothing to worry about.
:lol: :D
Yeah, sure. Locked into a seat will be great fun!:sohappy::lookaroun

And YES, I will be screaming and cursing too. I apologize to my future cabin mates.

EpcotServo

Yeah, sure. Locked into a seat will be great fun!:sohappy::lookaroun

And YES, I will be screaming and cursing too. I apologize to my future cabin mates.

Maybe you just don't know about the Buttons? The reason it comes closer is so you can push buttons! There's the two buttons that you have that make sound, ones you can make light up, and tons of toggles and switches to flip. It's just like the wheel from Mr. Toad, or the Switch Department at Lowe's!
:D

EPCOTPluto

Maybe you just don't know about the Buttons? The reason it comes closer is so you can push buttons! There's the two buttons that you have that make sound, ones you can make light up, and tons of toggles and switches to flip. :D
You mean the two black buttons between seats on the control panel? I love to annoy/excite people with pushing those like 12 dozen times. Repeatedly, it does blend well with the ride film. Especially the sudden-beeping at the end. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Maybe you just don't know about the Buttons? The reason it comes closer is so you can push buttons! There's the two buttons that you have that make sound, ones you can make light up, and tons of toggles and switches to flip. It's just like the wheel from Mr. Toad, or the Switch Department at Lowe's!
:D

I know about the buttons. I pressed the buttons while waiting for my claustrophobia to set in. I've seen people in videos press the buttons.
:mad::lookaroun:lol::lol:

Jasonflz

I know about the buttons. I pressed the buttons while waiting for my claustrophobia to set in. I've seen people in videos press the buttons.
:mad::lookaroun:lol::lol:

:lol: Those are a load of fun. I kind of wish that joystick actually worked so I could blow up the death star instead of land on mars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom