Mission: Space Lawsuit - A New Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven66

jaredliu said:
Let's just say that lots of people here who refused to go on the ride or not let their kids to go on this ride have been seriously affected by the fact that two have died after thier Space: Mission while they like to say the boy's death has nothing to do with M:S and the boy could die either or not he rode it.

I don't buy that. I stopped going on it before his death. I did ok up until the "landing" then I would become sick to my stomach. Who wants to go on it tho? My DD. She has been going on it since she was 6. She loves it. The only reason she doesn't go on it now is because I don't go on it. But now with the tamer version I will be able to take her on it again. I honestly think that people are smart enough to know the ride didn't kill him. I think there are a lot more people that get motion sickness then even they themselves believe. I do great on the teacups. I'm not a fan of the enclosed space either.:lookaroun

kelleygreg

Story #1
I thought I was going to die after Mission Space. Everything was spinning, I couldn't see straight. I had to sit down for over an hour before I could move. I missed Illuminations as well as going to the souvineir shop at the end. Is that Disney's fault? No.. It was mine... I ignored the warning signs.

Story #2
A ten year old kid at my church died at a little league baseball game from the same disease as the kid at Mission space. He died while pitching and in mid pitch. I was devastating to say the least, but it was no body's fault. It was just one of those things. Afterwards the Dr. told the family the only way to detect this a lot of times is through an autopsy. The family didn't sue, as a matter of fact out church started a Babe Ruth League and the family was more than honored to have the the league dedicated to him.

It is time for people to take responsibility for thier own actions and understand bad things do happen and quit blaming someone else. I guess it makes one feel better if they can blame someone else instead of themselves. Whether its smoking, eating fatty foods, not wearing a seatbelt, or not listening to the warning signs, people must take resposibilty for their actions.

disneydata

mathmagic said:
Parents must still exercise their own judgement when determining whether to let a child ride a ride that they may be tall enough for. It has nothing to do with age.

Everything said here abolut Disney not being at fault I completely agree with. I just have one thing to add to this statement that sums it all up in this case:

Parents are directly responsible for their children, their children's actions, and where their child goes if they are under the age of 18.

im basically just going to add to whats allready been said here. i feel incredibly bad for what this family has gone through and i know could never fully understand the pain they are feeling. when they filled the suit against disney, i didnt look down on them or judge them either. i knew they were just reacting to the loss out of greif and sadness. however, i dont think there really was anything to be done. Mimi, you say that when you have a bad experience disney is usually ready to offer something to help make it better but when this family lost their child all they got from disney was a "sorry". youre right, that does suck. but honestly, what could disney have given them? any sort of offer would basically just come across as "sorry your son died, heres something to try to compensate". i mean really, what would anyone even want from them at that point? also you mention that the ride includes air sickness bags which is a testament to its intensity. but then again so do airlines on their planes. i know its not the same experience, but obviously a lot of people handle flying a lot better than others, just like how

a lot of people handle M:S a lot better than others.
and yes, the ride does have several warnings and the family just wasnt aware of the kids condition, but you cant exactly warn people of conditions they arent aware of. like everyone has said, it was a condition that could have killed him at anytime. i truly beleive that if disney, or any amusment park, had made a ride that was determined to have killed a guest with no negligent actions on the part of the guest, they would shut it down.

and about the height requirements... yes they are designed to keep too young of children off of rides, but thats mostly for kids who wouldnt fit in the restraints. you needs requirements on rollercoasters so they dont slip under the saftey bar and fall out. this kid didnt die becuase the safter restraints failed to keep him safe. height really has nothing to do with it.

i dont consider the family greedy. i dont think these parents are just trying to capitalize off their son's death, but rather trying to punish the corporation who they blame for the death of their son. im sure if i ever lost a child at their park it would be something i would consider too, but that would be out of greif and sadness. the whole thing is just a horrible event and no matter what in the end neither disney nor the family is going to be truly happy no matter who wins the suit

SOLISIMO

There is many ways to look at this. If a man drinks himself drunk and then decides to drive and kill an innocent bystander, do they sue the beer company even though they have warning signs on every bottle (no!)

Disney is not the childs parents, they do not personally know the rider, therefore it is not their responsibility but the parents responsibility to determine if he or she can ride. It is an intense ride, I know my limits (which is why I dont ride) and if I had a child (a 4 year old to be exact) Mission to Mars would be the last ride he'd be on, but that's just me and he could have easily died on Tower of Terror or even The Mummy. People need to start taking responsibiliy for their own actions now in days and stop blaming crap on other people, how about sueing the doctor for not catching this in time. I just hope Disney fights this and doesnt settle out of court and give this family what they are looking for. Parents now in days have become very lazy and lacadazicle with their children, for example: this happends EVERY TIME I go to Disney, Im at the bar with my wife by the pool and their is mom and dad shooting the ____*t while their child is alone in the pool or running around without supervision, but if the child were to drown, oh oh the lifeguards werent doing their job lets sue Disney! WRONG!!!!!:fork:

SOLISIMO

disneydata said:
Everything said here abolut Disney not being at fault I completely agree with. I just have one thing to add to this statement that sums it all up in this case:

Parents are directly responsible for their children, their children's actions, and where their child goes if they are under the age of 18.

Should have read this before my previous post :hammer: 110% AGGREE:sohappy:

MKCrazy

Mimi said:
I'd love to respond to every post on this thread... but no. I would like to say, however, that i am disappointed in Disney.

If my dessert is bad, they send me a new one. If my waiter is rude my meal is free. If Mousekeeping is lax, I get a free night.

But if my child dies on one of their rides I get nothing but "sorry" from Disney and hatred from my countrymen. Frankly I expect that from my countrymen but not from Disney.

:mad:

It never did happen to me but if it did...

I would destroy that company.

Uh they didnt just say sorry they paid for the medical expenses and for the whole families vacation. Do you call that a simple sorry? (First Post)

SpectroMan

jaredliu said:
Looks like Disney's most ambitious ride has turned out very ugly now. Just look at the line, the line of chicken version is probably twice longer than the line of killer version.

You have no proof that the line is longer in the Green Training (less intense). I have not been there since the split, but I have read many reports on it. The Orange Training, your "killer version," still recieves longer lines. And, this is with Orange using two chambers and Green only using one.

If I have anything wrong, someone with some knowledge about this please correct me.

Pongo

I have a story about liability as well.

A few years ago I was flying home from a vacation in Germany. Halfway through the flight, a man on the other side of the airplane had a heart attack and died. There was nothing anyone could do. We we over the middle of the Atlantic, and the man was dead.

Whose fault is that? Is it the airline's fault? He was on their plane when he had the heart attack. Is it the man's fault? His heart was the one that failed. Is it the stewardesses' faults? They could give him the proper medical attention he needed.

It's no one's fault. He had a freak death in a coincidental situation. No one is to blame.

The situation with Daudi is very similar. He had a pre-existing condition that no one knew about nor could prevent. It could have hit him anywhere, and the fact that it hit him on Mission: Space is pure coincidence, much like the man who had a heart attack on the plane.

Not everything is black or white. There tend to be gray areas.

zjer

Mimi said:
I agree that Disney can't be held accountable for unforseen consequences and acts of God, but maybe this particular ride is just plain too darn rough... and maybe they know it (hence the recent changes). Maybe it is just too much to expect ordinary people to get extensive health exams before riding a ride in order to protect themselves.

Sounds like you had a vendetta long before this lawsuit came up.

Mimi said:
How long would that boy have been expected to live had it not been for Mission: Space?

The only certainty in life IS death. Life expectancy is an average amongst so many other variables. Nothing in life protects you from death.

Mimi said:
How many children would he have had?

Probably none.

Mimi said:
It is worth noting that the point of any punitive damages awarded in a lawsuit such as this is to punish a wrongdoer and keep them from repeating the act... not to provide the victim with a cushy lifestyle.

Riiiiggght. Wrongdoer is defined as a person who transgresses moral or civil law. Did Disney break the law and the child died as a consequence? I think not. Maybe the parents should sue each other for having a child with a medical condition. I'm sure their genes played a role in the defective heart.

Mimi said:
I believe most of us would fight to the death to ensure that our child did not die in vain...

Yeah, so getting money out of a theme park will do that. Was the child fighting a cause? Wicked lame - you will be a great lawyer some day.

magicfan

First off, welcome MKCrazy!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

I think this family is still in shock over what happened. They probably think the money will make them feel better and help them get over their grief. They obviously think they'll get the money they want in court. They have a right to do that, though. That being said, I highly doubt they'll win, the reasons being already stated in this thread.

Something else to consider...
They're probably only suing because their lawyer convinced them they'd win (which they won't). Doesn't he get paid for working for them in court? This is also a popular case, so he'll get a lot of publicity. What if he does a great job and they win the case? He'll probably get more clients. Maybe he/she (the lawyer) is the greedy one behind it all lol...
:fork:

TheDisneyGirl02

Mimi said:
I would destroy that company.

Wow...you sound like the people who sued me after my car accident that wasn't my fault! All they wanted was money and that's what I think you were getting at. Destroying Disney would do nothing but bring hurt and sorrow to MILLIONS of children and adults, not just one mother. I do feel badly for the family, yet she did decide to take her children on the ride.

TheDisneyGirl02

jaredliu

SpectroMan said:
You have no proof that the line is longer in the Green Training (less intense). I have not been there since the split, but I have read many reports on it. The Orange Training, your "killer version," still recieves longer lines. And, this is with Orange using two chambers and Green only using one.

If I have anything wrong, someone with some knowledge about this please correct me.
There are numerous trip report, update, website that recently visted Epcot showed the chicken version has longer line than greedy-stupid-parents-go-to-hell version. If you don't believe that, people refering the green training version is more like the experience of soarin. And if you are telling me M:S has longer line than soarin, I'll leave you alone.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Jaredlui,

You're just wrong. Drop it. On average, Green is 20 minutes while Orange is 40minutes, while during slow periods both are half of that.

Braves323

As pointed out in numerous posts on a variety of subjects: Not all rides at Disney are for everyone. We do not have to go on every ride and we do not have to like every ride. Disney makes rides to appeal to different groups of people. The parent is the one responsible for their kid. This incident was not the parents fault and it is a terrible tragedy but it is not Disney's fault either. There is NO WAY I would ever take a 4-year old on M:S. It is too intense in my opinion whether they had a heart condition or not. Parents know what their kids can handle. My mom has a heart condition and she sends me on new rides before her. I know her and know what she can handle without the slightest problem. I know these parents did not know about the heart condition which makes it so sad but because they didn't know doesnt make it Disney's fault; it makes it an accident. Putting a different height requirement on the ride would not solve the problem because as reported on a different post this usually occurs in people in their 20s and 30s. No height requirement would keep them off the ride.

Miss Bell

I think the big difference between the sue Disney group versus the don't sue Disney group is that the sue Disney group sees MS as the trigger, rather than the medical condition being the "killer."

I had a student a few years ago die of a very similar condition. He was taking a nap when he died. When you have a heart condition like this, your heart is going to give out at some point. In this case, it happened to be during this ride. Period. If he had died on the sidewalk on his way to the ride, should the parents still sue Disney?

Sometimes people just die--it is painful and horrible and sad, but it is true.

MouseearsDeb

Speaking of height requirements, my DS is now 5 and is taller than a lot of 7 & 8 year olds. He is getting near the 'required height' for inverted coasters. Does this mean we're going to 'jump' right on in October if he has met the height? NO! He may be tall enough, but he is still not mentally ready for such a ride. He's a 100% boy and probably could do the ride, but just because he could doesn't mean he's going to.

I hope I never have to be in the situation these parents are in. I know from personal family experience that a lot of times when a death occurs, people will look for 'someone' to blame to ease the pain. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in the long run, the person is still dead and gone and in the process you might have made a lot more people suffer. :(

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Mimi said:
But for the stress of that ride he would not have died.

Kind of ironic how it would fit perfectly in the H.M. cemetary. It doesn't matter when or where else he would have died; he did die after riding Disney's most physically intense ride.

Can you imagine the nightmares his mother must have?

When I mention dessert I am comparing it to Disney's compassion for human life. They know they can always remake a dessert or meal and write it off, but a life? That is when the dirty lawyers come in and things get ugly - a pre-existing heart condition that no one knew anything about countered by a very extreme ride... hmmm :lookaroun

I bet you, Mr. Steve, that I can prove the Disney corporation as we know it would gladly sacrifice three to four lives every so many years for the sake of that all -forgiving God....

Profit.

Now listen to me Im very important !!!!

For the record how many lives are GM, Ford, petrochemical companys, mcDonalds and Burger King, Coke etc willing to sacrifice.

Ive got some kitchen utensils that require sharpening when youve completed that axe.

OK lets say they fly down to Disney and he dies on the plane is that the airlines fault? NO not at all thats the familys fault because the airline states it in plain sight. Its called THE RULES and you have to have common sense to know the rules and make personal judgement and it should be no different just because you are at Disney.

zjer

GothMickey said:
1. MS SUCKS!!!!! DISNEY WASTED 100 MILLION ON THIS LESS THAN THRILLING RIDE!!!

Wrong. :brick:

GothMickey said:
But I feel nothing but sorrow for you little pea-brained people who call these parents idiots, bad parents, and think Disney is almighty and can never make a mistake...

Hey Doom and Gloom, the parents DID make a mistake and they are paying for it dearly.

GothMickey said:
I refuse to blame anyone.. No one is at fault for the death of this little boy.. Actuall, you know who is at fault?? GOD!!!!! He took this boy's life... So sue him/her.. Man oh man...

Can't sue her anymore, Bush made a constitutional amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom