Mission Space (Intense Version): Have You Ever Gotten Sick?

How has Mission Space impacted you?

• YES! I have gotten full-fledged sick. And we'll leave it at that. ;-)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • I felt pretty nauseated after, but that was all.

Votes: 60 25.6%
  • Minor, unmemorable stomach ache at the most.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • I could ride this multiple times and not be bothered at all.

Votes: 97 41.5%
  • I have never ridden Mission Space.

Votes: 26 11.1%

• Total voters

gwhb75

I felt a bit "off" the first time I rode it because my son (who was 6 at the time) was a bit scared during the lift-off part of the ride, and I turned my head to see him. They aren't kidding when they say to keep your head back in the seat. I was OK after about 10 minutes.

But here's an interesting question...How many people feel the same way after riding the Tea Cups? I know the Tea Cups don't get the same hype (as far as I know, no one has died after riding the tea cups), but the basic principle is the same, just at a slower spin rate. I personally get more sick on the tea cups than Mission Space.

lbrad

Some rides do get to me but this one does not. The first time I rode it I was very worried that it would ruin the rest of the evening but NOPE. On it I went again. I think the confined space and the cool fan blowing in my face made all the difference in the world. With out the fan I could see alot more people getting sick on it.

No nausea/motion sickness BUT palpitations from claustrophobia!!!! Which I never knew I had!

Tigger#1

DS and I were able to ride MS three times in a row several years ago and that did get to me but DS was ready to go again.

Disneyfan1981

Is the "lite" version of the ride that much different? I ride Mission: Space multiple times during our time at EPCOT, usually the lines are non-existent, so I've never tried it.

Jeff456

It has never made me sick... but I have a problem encouraging anyone else to come on the orange side with me since they have been on it!

David S.

I felt a bit "off" the first time I rode it because my son (who was 6 at the time) was a bit scared during the lift-off part of the ride, and I turned my head to see him. They aren't kidding when they say to keep your head back in the seat. I was OK after about 10 minutes.

But here's an interesting question...How many people feel the same way after riding the Tea Cups? I know the Tea Cups don't get the same hype (as far as I know, no one has died after riding the tea cups), but the basic principle is the same, just at a slower spin rate. I personally get more sick on the tea cups than Mission Space.

I've never had a problem with the Teacups but then again, riders can control and choose for themselves how much to spin the cup (if at all), how fast to spin the cup, and at what moments of the ride to spin the cup. Perhaps that's why there are fewer reported issues with the Teacups.

heliumalias

Up until last summer I had only ever done the orange version. Can't say I thought that the green version was any less 'nauseating' but it's the non-spinning stuff that bothers me more about the ride.

I also did the orange version straight after indulging in a kitchen sink. Didn't feel ill at all.

dreamlady85

I gives me a headache, but that's taken care of with some caffeine. The only Disney ride I've ever had a real sickness problem with was Body Wars. The combined motion of the ride and the visuals of going through the heart did me in. I was white as a sheet, had cold sweats, and had to lie down on a bench for good long while before we could move on. Thank goodness the pavilion was air conditioned!

PirateTink

I sometimes get a mild headache for a bit, like reading a book too long in the car. When it's just my husband and I though, I always have a small fear that 1 of the other 2 (strangers) in the pod with us will get sick!! Lol, ugh!

JT3000

I rode M:S once, just after it opened. Never again. Made me the sickest any ride ever has. I spent an hour sitting in the post-ride area just trying to get over it.

Rod Griffith

Rides that spin, such as The Rotor, have made me sick so I didn't want to try the intense version especially when I heard that two people died on the intense version. One was a young kid and one was in their 40's. It turned out that they both had a heart condition. I love the less intense version.

stevehousse

First time was the year it opened! I had no idea about what the ride was (I don't do spinning rides but everything else). I had no idea it was a centrifuge type ride and mind you this was after I had bought 2 margaritas from Mexico with my fake id. I downed them and then went on the ride...I ended up with my face in a garbage can puking my guys out and had to sit down for a good 30 minutes before we could tour the park again! LOL never again!

When I went there was no green version, but I do have a question. Does the green version still spin like the orange version just slower? Or does it not move at all?

Goofyernmost

First time was the year it opened! I had no idea about what the ride was (I don't do spinning rides but everything else). I had no idea it was a centrifuge type ride and mind you this was after I had bought 2 margaritas from Mexico with my fake id. I downed them and then went on the ride...I ended up with my face in a garbage can puking my guys out and had to sit down for a good 30 minutes before we could tour the park again! LOL never again!

When I went there was no green version, but I do have a question. Does the green version still spin like the orange version just slower? Or does it not move at all?
No, the green version does not spin. However, you are blaming the ride on something that was probably caused by the Margaritas. Put the blame where it belongs.

Answer to the original question... NO... I have never been sick on the ride or even a little queasy. My first time was just after a chicken finger dinner too. I have been on it a number of times and never once even felt the sensation of spinning. However, if one has an inner ear situation you don't have to feel it, it just throws all those inside liquids into a tail spin and that is what causes the sickness. Moral of the story, if you know you are prone to motion sickness do not ride the Orange side. If you can tolerate things like Star Tours, then the Green side should be fine.

ProjectXBlog

i went during soft open summer of '03. i ate a small meal at san àngel and afterwards was asked by a cm if i wanted to test the ride. i was petrified that the mexican food was going to be a mistake during the countless warnings, but everything was all good. still love it

copcarguyp71

Of the eight or so times I have ridden MS orange I did come out dizzy just once. Not nauseated in any way but we were in the centrifuge that was the longest walk out and I can tell you I had to concentrate on walking in a straight line until we were a good 100 yards outside the ride. DW refuses to do orange so DD and I do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom