Mission:Space Inappropriate Now?

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Tramp
I don't believe a memorial to those killed in the recent shuttle explosion should be the 'primary' focus of any acknowledgement in the M:S attraction. One need only travel approx. 50 miles east of Orlando to find the most comprehensive and appropriate memorial, it's called Cape Canaveral. Instead, I'd like to see M:S concentrate on ALL who contributed to space travel WORLDWIDE and not limit those contributions to those who have been killed. Many who are alive today have had a much more significant hand in the successes and benefits of space travel than those brave people killed in carrying out the missions. Those contributions should not be ignored or diminished in the memory of deceased astronauts or cosmonauts.

In my humble and often incorrect opinion, it should be the goal of any Epcot attraction to provide all it's visitors the broadest form of education and hope from an international perspective in line with Epcot's mission statement that, "Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all."

I hope children who visit this attraction will walk away enriched with the wonders and achievements of space exploration and not with the sadness and discouragement of horrific space accidents.

HERE HERE!!!! :sohappy:

There is no way that Mission:Space should be put on hold or whatnot. This is a time where we need to push it even more than before. Don't let this tragedy keep us down. Though, we all grieve with the families, we need to lift our chins back up and move forward. By no means should this incident make us "give up" ...This is America...we did not get where we are today because one incident, though tragic, happened and we gave up. We are a very strong country and we HEAL quickly and strongly. Mission:Space...let's go! Not... Mission:Space...OH NO!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by prberk
The shuttle explosion was a real tragedy. And America now is in state of mourning, as appropriate.

You know, I wonder if this now makes it inappropriate to open Mission:Space for a while. It could come off as crass, although I know that ultimately it celebrates the mission of that astronauts.
What does the visitor centre at Kennedy do in a situation like this ?? If they close then it WOULD be inappropriate for M:S to open before they re-open, otherwise I say open as normal.
After all - Mr Bush still wants the space program to go ahead.

dopey

Very well said, Tramp.

The catastrophe certainly adds perspective to the hazards of space travel, but I wouldn't want to see Mission: Space turned into a solemn memorial to those who lost their lives.

There were some good quotes in a Chicago Tribune story today. One was from John Glenn, who said, "There are times when you devote yourself to a higher cause than personal safety."

These men and women in the space program know the risks, but they do what they do to benefit humanity and for the thrill of adventure. M:S promises to allow us to experience some of those thrills and, hopefully, we will gain an even better understanding of the risks and benefits of space travel.

It might be a little off topic, but another quote that I liked was from T.E. Lawrence, who said, "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

Maerj

If Disney would do a tribute to the astronauts at MS, I would like to see it be something like the beginning of the tv show Enterprise. If you haven't seen it, watch it Wednesday night at 8 on UPN. (Check your local listings for details.)

Anyway, the opening of that show is really cool because it shows the early explorers and their ships, then travels through time showing all the men and women, their planes and spacecraft, that they used in the history of exploration. A more detailed, multi-media version of this would be appropriate and cool for a pre-show type of thing to Mission: Space.

WDW1971

No delay...

Mission: Space should open as scheduled. Those seven astronauts died doing something they knew was dangerous. They are American heros now...even the Israeli pilot. If there is to be any change to M:S, let it be to have an area that pays tribute to those who've died in the line of duty serving our country.

No one would ask for Test Track to be closed in the event of a fatal car crash...likewise, M:S should open.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by Tramp
I don't believe a memorial to those killed in the recent shuttle explosion should be the 'primary' focus of any acknowledgement in the M:S attraction. One need only travel approx. 50 miles east of Orlando to find the most comprehensive and appropriate memorial, it's called Cape Canaveral. Instead, I'd like to see M:S concentrate on ALL who contributed to space travel WORLDWIDE and not limit those contributions to those who have been killed. Many who are alive today have had a much more significant hand in the successes and benefits of space travel than those brave people killed in carrying out the missions. Those contributions should not be ignored or diminished in the memory of deceased astronauts or cosmonauts.

In my humble and often incorrect opinion, it should be the goal of any Epcot attraction to provide all it's visitors the broadest form of education and hope from an international perspective in line with Epcot's mission statement that, "Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all."

I hope children who visit this attraction will walk away enriched with the wonders and achievements of space exploration and not with the sadness and discouragement of horrific space accidents.
Tramp I couldn`t have said it better!
Mission space should not be delayed!
and it should not be made a somber tribute to the deceased,but a reminder of the great strides that us humans have taken in space exploration and future advances!:D

Atticus

I feel like posting again :) If you truly think about it, would the people who perished in the would want something that promotes what they do to open or not? In the end I think Disney will open this because it will be about 6 months later, and truly this is a devestating event, but will not be as relevent then.

In no way am I saying people should not feel bad or "move on", I just feel in the end this is what the astronauts (spelling ? I'm slow today sorry lol) would have wanted.

Statement from the families of the victims (bold by me):

"On January 16 we saw our loved onces launch in to a brilliant, cloud-free sky. Their hearts were full of enthusiasm, pride in country, faith in their god, and a willingness to accept the risk in pursuit of knowledge. Knowledge that might improve the quality of life for all mankind. Columbia's 16-day mission of scientific discovery, which was a great success, was cut short by mere minutes. Yet it will live on forever in our memories.

We want to thank the NASA family and people from around the world for their incredible outpouring of love and support. And although we grieve deeply, as do the families of Apollo 1 and Challenger before us, the bold exploration of space must go on. And once the root cause of this tragedy is found and corrected, the legacy of Columbia must carry on for the benefit of our children and yours."

I don't think the families of the victims of this tragedy would want the attraction to not open or be delayed.

I also think it's weird we're discussing the impact of a huge human and scientific tragedy on a theme park ride.

WDWFanatic

Mission Space should open as planned. It's a learning tool, a place for knowledge. I also think they already have a memorial for fallen astronauts already inside somewhere dont you think?

figmentmom

I think that Mission:Space should, and will, open on time. I hope the ride will be a celebration of the possibilities that lie in future space exploration, as well as a respectful acknowlegment of all those who sacrificed so much for the betterment of all mankind. I think that in general, Disney does a great job of looking ahead - without forgetting the past.

May God hold the astronauts in the palm of His hand.

MajinBuu

Didnt read through whole thread... again...

When Universal Studios FLA was about to open Twister: Ride it Out, the night before the grand opening, Central FLA was hit hard by a bunch of tornados. I dont remember how long they decided to delay the opening, but I think it was about 2 weeks to a month. I dont remember if there was any flak or whatever for opening that soon after but I dont think there was. If anyone remembers if there was let me know.

FutureCEO

Mission : Space should have a small tribute to the 29 men and women who devoted their lives to space. However, the date should stay where it is because if Disney moves it, it will be next year.

jim hill has an article on this topic

isnet396

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but from what I hear after speaking to someone who's never guided me in the wrong direction, the M: S project will NOT be hindered from the results of the Columbia tragedy.

Ian

isnet396

Originally posted by MajinBuu
Didnt read through whole thread... again...

When Universal Studios FLA was about to open Twister: Ride it Out, the night before the grand opening, Central FLA was hit hard by a bunch of tornados. I dont remember how long they decided to delay the opening, but I think it was about 2 weeks to a month. I dont remember if there was any flak or whatever for opening that soon after but I dont think there was. If anyone remembers if there was let me know.

Yes! I vividly remember that from a Discovery Channel special...I think it was either a week or a month...enough so that the hype factor went up and the sadness factor declined.

Testtrack321

Unlike the twister ride, Disney isn't profiting over a disaster, rather a spirit or discovery. To delay or change it would almost be like spiting in the face of the 7 astronauts. They want it to go farther than ever, and Disney will make it do that.

Testtrack321

M:S will open on time, and will soft open on time too. WHY? Because it's over 5 months away till July, when WDI is planning on opening the gates for a test spin. 8 months till the offical opening.

Disney won't dare to delay the ride now. Not only does this attraction take place IN THE FUTURE (notice how all preview center info has the X-2 rocket, and no Space Shuttle) and not in the current time set, people will realize that Disney isn't profiting over Columbia, but rather forgeing ahead to spread the word of SPACE.

Jodigrl328

What happened was a terrible tradgedy.

But life moves on. Have a tribute to their work and their lives.
There is a country song out that mentions the challenger blowing up and they took it off the air this weekend. Come on, how is that being disrespectful of these families, we can't change the past or the present so let's remember these wonderful people rather than forgetting about it and making things hush hush just for the sake of being PC.

colliera

Space opening

I'm posting from the Contemporary and have conflicting information on this. The sign on the wall still says 2003, however yesterday a couple of cast members said it had been pushed back to 2004. When I pressed for details they didn't have any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom