Mission Space "Gravity Wheel" Not Rotating?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
The "gravity wheel" in the Mission Space queue wasn't rotating last week. Is it down? Or, maybe it was just off at the time?

Sorry if this was already discussed - nothing turned up as a result of my cursory forum search.

If it is down for some reason, maybe they could just, you know, add some strobe lights, ala disco wheel. o_O

DizFiz

Come to think of it all the times I've ridden Mission Space I never once look at the Gravity Wheel but then again the line was never long enough... I really wish on seem rides the lines were long enough so I can get a nice relaxing tour of the que line.

BoarderPhreak

I don't recall ever seeing that thing rotate, LOL. But it must have at some point - note the different positions...

P.S. Did you know there's a tribute to Horizons located on the wheel? The logo is at the center! :)

MarkTwain

It definitely rotated for at least a few years. I remember how much it captured my imagination when I was younger. The Space Mountain upside-down astronauts visible from the PeopleMover used to similarly impress me. I would argue that the M:S's spinning capsule did more to get me to think about the potentials of space as a kid (you can walk on ANY surface... build on anything... put doors on the ceiling) than the attraction did.

I think an entire space-themed dark ride featuring those kind of anti-gravity scenes, maybe aboard a futuristic space station, with upside down AAs or scenes that rotated around you, would be really cool.

Tom Morrow

It normally rotates and has at least until very recently. Lets hope we don't end up adding this to the list of effects that break and never return.

Calvin Coolidge

Disappointing about the gravity wheel; the queue is my favorite part of Mission: Space.

I think an entire space-themed dark ride featuring those kind of anti-gravity scenes, maybe aboard a futuristic space station, with upside down AAs or scenes that rotated around you, would be really cool.

Sometimes, conventional ride styles executed exceptionally can be a more unique experience than a totally unique ride system.

I tend to agree that a Space-themed dark ride would be preferable to Mission: Space. I also think that it might be nice to split the "pavilion" (that is, make it a real pavilion, and not just a ride and a gift shop) into half-ride, half-planetarium show. One of the things that I've liked about Epcot, historically, is that it took conventional educational experiences (edutainment, if you will) like museums, aquariums, IMAX/3D movies, and motion simulator attractions and built them on a grander scale (see: the former Living Seas pavilion, my favorite part of Epcot, as the best example). I bet Imagineering could do something really cool with the concept of a planetarium show, like you'd see in any American city, and build in on a whole other level.

Oh well.

rsoxguy

It has not worked the last two or three times that rode, with a time period covering last December through this Spring.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
It definitely rotated for at least a few years. I remember how much it captured my imagination when I was younger. The Space Mountain upside-down astronauts visible from the PeopleMover used to similarly impress me. I would argue that the M:S's spinning capsule did more to get me to think about the potentials of space as a kid (you can walk on ANY surface... build on anything... put doors on the ceiling) than the attraction did.

Agreed! That, for me, has become such an iconic image. :)

4506119412_8f77b0097d_z.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom