Miserable CMs?! - My Experiences

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Did not say it was easy.. did say that if they are unable to do it then don't... get another job.
They are paid to be nice, if they can't do that, then get another job..

You make it sound like I think CM's need to run errands for guests on their day off..

That's literally any job that has customer service. You can be nice all you want, it's still not an easy job.

DisneyDoctor

Reading through pages of comments in this thread, it seems there are some who don't quite grasp what customer service / hospitality really is all about: Making people believe you like them, and making them feel at home. It's all about putting on an act and being darn good at it.

I have worked in tourism and convention operations for quite some time. There are very few tourists I have encountered over the years who I actually like or respect. Most of today's traveling public is undignified, overly gluttonous, overly sheltered, highly lacking in common sense for even the most simple of tasks, and give the all-around human race a bad reputation. There's no other way to say it.

YET, if you were to ask any of the people I've served or dealt with over the years, they would tell you I was their best friend who worships the very ground they walk on and will bend over backwards just for them because I love the thought of their very existence on this planet. THAT is what customer service is... making them feel that way when your internal thoughts & emotions are nowhere near. That is what more people need to practice on a daily basis. You don't have to like everybody. Chances are, you won't like most. But when you're on stage or anywhere in the public eye doing your craft in this industry, you had better put on a convincing act, or this type of work is not for you.

No matter what type of day you're having or what they may be flinging at you, when you're on stage there is one basic rule: Make the bastards believe you love 'em.

ColinP29

The only miserable CM I have ever seen/encountered was during our Disneymoon. We were headed to CRT for our breakfast reservation and approached the front desk. The Lady working the desk looked at us and we told her our names, and her reply was "Oh look, two adults..." along with saying something else not nice under her breath she also did a very obvious eye roll.

Probably because you called it a 'Disneymoon'

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
<-------------- Which is why I'll be wearing this shirt next week. If you see me, feel free to say "hi"... or wish me a "magical Disney day."
Most of today's traveling public is undignified, overly gluttonous, overly sheltered, highly lacking in common sense for even the most simple of tasks, and give the all-around human race a bad reputation.

geekza

When I was in management for a large customer service operation, we always told our associates that, however trivial someone's issue might seem to you, it's important to them and you need to at least pretend to take it as seriously as the customer did. Those who could master that skill did very well. Those who didn't either quit or were let go. I had to talk to my share of unreasonable folks, some of whom threatened to get me fired or, one time, write a scathing article about me in a syndicated column. I stayed as nice as I could be whilst talking to them and promptly called them every foul name under the sun as soon as the call was over. You'd be surprised how effective feigning interest and concern can be. It's not 100%, but the small percentage of folks who continued to be horse's posteriors are gone from your life as soon as the interaction is completed. I've found that as long as you hold up your end and don't do anything stupid, any manager worth their salt will have your back.

jloucks

. I've found that as long as you hold up your end and don't do anything stupid, any manager worth their salt will have your back.

This is the key to something shifting from non-issue to issue. So long as you don't do any stupid that provides the cranky person with any ammo, you have a pretty good chance of leaving the issue behind you.

"have your back" is a bit misleading tho. They won't always have your back with the complainer. But, they will have your back reputation wise. Some organizations, it is policy to chuck front line staff under the bus. This does not however hurt your upward mobility at all.

Club Cooloholic

Reading through pages of comments in this thread, it seems there are some who don't quite grasp what customer service / hospitality really is all about: Making people believe you like them, and making them feel at home. It's all about putting on an act and being darn good at it.

I have worked in tourism and convention operations for quite some time. There are very few tourists I have encountered over the years who I actually like or respect. Most of today's traveling public is undignified, overly gluttonous, overly sheltered, highly lacking in common sense for even the most simple of tasks, and give the all-around human race a bad reputation. There's no other way to say it.

YET, if you were to ask any of the people I've served or dealt with over the years, they would tell you I was their best friend who worships the very ground they walk on and will bend over backwards just for them because I love the thought of their very existence on this planet. THAT is what customer service is... making them feel that way when your internal thoughts & emotions are nowhere near. That is what more people need to practice on a daily basis. You don't have to like everybody. Chances are, you won't like most. But when you're on stage or anywhere in the public eye doing your craft in this industry, you had better put on a convincing act, or this type of work is not for you.

No matter what type of day you're having or what they may be flinging at you, when you're on stage there is one basic rule: Make the bastards believe you love 'em.
Were you making minimum wage with no tips? I mean seriously the CMs have to worry about magic bands, peoples reservations, left bags in the park, suspicious patrons, pushy people who want another 10 pics with Goofy, more drunks than ever because hey now you can get booze easier than ever, folks who want to camp out on the curb 2 hours before a parade, people wondering why Woody won't fall down when they yell Andy anymore, why their fast pass won't update, whats wrong with the wifi in this place anyway, and can I charge my phone while I'm on this ride?? Can their "THERAPY PET" ride on Dumbo with them? Why did Princess Jasmine show up instead of Rupunzel, the website said Repunzel, and now my little girls whole day is ruined!

Meanwhile tickets are more expensive guests expectations rise, the share holders want the stock higher and corporate wants more raises for themselves, while they tell the grunts... Keep smiling.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

That's literally any job that has customer service. You can be nice all you want, it's still not an easy job.

I agree. I have been in customer service for 30 years and it is NOT easy. People have been getting worse though in the last 5 years. No matter how nice/friendly/helpful you are, a good chunk of people still treat us horribly. It is to the point now that it is very very hard to find people that can brush off the abuse and most do not last more then a few months at most. Yes, we are paid to be nice(very little pay) but we are also humans with feelings. To all of those who say to just deal with it, imagine if at your job people kept coming at you all day yelling, swearing, calling you stupid, and just in general being rude to you. Now do this every single day and keep that smile on your face. It is much worse then many people realize. We have grown men that come in to bully the young girls that work at my place to get them to give the person free stuff. They yell and call them names but as soon as our 6'5" big male boss comes out, they are as sweet as pie. Everyone needs to try to remember that we all wanted be treated kindly.

jaklgreen

This is the key to something shifting from non-issue to issue. So long as you don't do any stupid that provides the cranky person with any ammo, you have a pretty good chance of leaving the issue behind you.

"have your back" is a bit misleading tho. They won't always have your back with the complainer. But, they will have your back reputation wise. Some organizations, it is policy to chuck front line staff under the bus. This does not however hurt your upward mobility at all.

This is so true. People will email a complaint, does not even have to be true, and management immediately believes them without even talking to the employee. I have seen this at many places.

Rumrunner

I try to keep in mind that each and every one of these cast members are human beings too, and far too many guests don't treat them as if they are any longer.
We were at Disney in August and the CM were great. Of course we always threat them as special and forgive them and understand they may be out of sorts on occasions.
They deserve a break sometimes because some people unfortunately are jerks.

Nottamus

I really didn't want to post on this thread, but the cold meds kicked in, and here I am

Whatever happened to "treat people well, they treat you well?" Its not hard. Just forgotten

Ive seen:
parents letting their kids kids throw rocks at ducks
kids stomping on a snake
parents taking vid of their kid stomping through flower bed and ripping flowers out, throwing them

and many more like this...

would YOU want to be that person to say..."sorry, little Billy can't throw rocks at ducks." ??

I mean, i get it....I know people get stressed on a Disney vacation (their loss), and feel stress is a qualifier to be nasty...well, nasty breeds nasty.

as you were.

Mander

In the Parks
No

This is such a good summary of what working in hospitality is. I left my front desk job for higher ed almost two years ago and I'm in the process of figuring out how to get back to a similar position (give me disgruntled guests over university faculty any day). Anyway, I always found it odd the number of people who would find themselves in guest facing positions who just weren't good at pretending they liked everyone. I worked with a certain agent who would always try and argue with guests about their problems. Drove me mad! I'd argue the two most essential skills are your ability to make people think you like them and the ability to stay calm while being yelled at for problems you didn't cause while also finding a solution to said problem. Lord, I miss it.

G00fyDad

We have experienced the usual irritable CM and I try to remember that I may have just met that CM but I may be the 500th person that CM has encountered that day. Not all of the other 499 were nice. CM's get tired of all the BS from guests and they definitely do not get paid enough to put up with some of the things I have hears guests say to a CM.

I think the most irritable CM I have met was a parking attendant at the TTC (MK) who did not see the Diamond Parking Pass I had for using AAA (Don't get me started on THAT experience...). I tried to go to the Diamond Parking Area and he actually stepped in front of my car and pointed hard to his right with a nasty look on his face. I rolled my window down and told him that I had the pass (which was taped to the inside of my window). He came around to my door and you could tell that he knew he messed up but he stuck to his guns and told me that it didn't matter and that I needed merge back in the flow of traffic heading to the left to park with everyone else. I asked if the lot was down, filled, or not in use and he rolled his eyes and started to walk back to his posted spot after saying "You heard me." :jawdrop: Yeah, I rolled right past him and went to the Diamond Lot, parked, got out, and walked to the TTC entrance. I was expecting security but none came so we went in and had a magical day. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom