Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
Words cannot express my anger at the new Duffy show. So many of these decisions could've been changed and they still could've profited more off guests.

The show is upcharged. Fine, I get that. That's how the industry works these days, and OLC is finally realizing how much they can get away with milking their guests. But you have to reserve your seat a month in advance?? Nobody is ever going to see this show except the same 300 Duffy fans. And the performances are not rolling all day anymore, it's only four times a day?? Imagine if they still ran a standby line and just charged you a seat fee for the show, still running it all day. They could probably make even more money this way and the guest would still win because part of the fun with My Friend Duffy was the spontaneity of getting a meal and watching the show.

What a misfire.

SweetDuffy101

Words cannot express my anger at the new Duffy show. So many of these decisions could've been changed and they still could've profited more off guests.

The show is upcharged. Fine, I get that. That's how the industry works these days, and OLC is finally realizing how much they can get away with milking their guests. But you have to reserve your seat a month in advance?? Nobody is ever going to see this show except the same 300 Duffy fans. And the performances are not rolling all day anymore, it's only four times a day?? Imagine if they still ran a standby line and just charged you a seat fee for the show, still running it all day. They could probably make even more money this way and the guest would still win because part of the fun with My Friend Duffy was the spontaneity of getting a meal and watching the show.

What a misfire.
I get the anger, OLC doesn't want to do risks anymore with the focus more on Costumed characters rather than hiring real entertainers, Even the menu's are a major downgrade.

What surprised me is that a duffy program in summer. Like are you sure about that since summer heat here can get extreme hot and humid.
and they will put out heavy costumed characters out there under the scorching heat.

How many times are they going to announce cancellation of greeting show.

SweetDuffy101

DISNEY SEA JCB Private evening party in hot waters over controversial changes.

Story time: Disney JCB had released a campaign for the Tokyo DisneySea private night party 9700¥ 3 hours for 10,000 guests Reservations only.No cancellations once purchased has been made.

Few days later which is today they released a statement saying due to popular demand we will start selling more tickets for lottery.

The selling point of this private party is supposed to be a special tag for Believe! Sea of dreams and a commemorative pendant plus a physical guide map with limited guests inside the park.

jrhwdw

DISNEY SEA JCB Private evening party in hot waters over controversial changes.

Story time: Disney JCB had released a campaign for the Tokyo DisneySea private night party 9700¥ 3 hours for 10,000 guests Reservations only.No cancellations once purchased has been made.

Few days later which is today they released a statement saying due to popular demand we will start selling more tickets for lottery.

The selling point of this private party is supposed to be a special tag for Believe! Sea of dreams and a commemorative pendant plus a physical guide map with limited guests inside the park.
When is it?

tanc

Here are the event details, all in Japanese though

BasiltheBatLord

USJ just announced today that their Spider-Man ride is closing permanently in January 2024 (it's been rumored for a while that it would be replaced by a Pokemon e-ticket)

I'm hearing people online saying that this frees up TDR's ability to use all Marvel IP in the parks, although I can't comment on how accurate that is.

Supersnow84

I haven’t read down all the old comments of this thread but does anyone feel like Tokyo Disney really slipped during the pandemic and kinda never recovered

Without its entertainment and balanced offerings TDS feels almost like SDL, a sprawling e ticket heavy park with not much on the side (though much more beautiful to be fair)

I’m not a big fan of Duffy but it seems like HK is using him way better despite the size differences and Tokyo has always been pretty poor at using the original Mickey and friends

It’s still far and away the best Asian resort but that’s because it started with such an enormous lead

BasiltheBatLord

I haven’t read down all the old comments of this thread but does anyone feel like Tokyo Disney really slipped during the pandemic and kinda never recovered.
Pretty common feeling among local fans I’d say, at least the online ones.

Personally feel like there’s very little to keep me coming back lately. The seasonal events are all small and lame, or in some cases non-existent. Entertainment is mostly static. The continued lack of APs and radio silence on when or if they’re ever coming back is another big one.

Supersnow84

Pretty common feeling among local fans I’d say, at least the online ones.

Personally feel like there’s very little to keep me coming back lately. The seasonal events are all small and lame, or in some cases non-existent. Entertainment is mostly static. The continued lack of APs and radio silence on when or if they’re ever coming back is another big one.
Is it just OLC becoming more greedy or is japan still spinning out its Covid restrictions very slowly

I feel despite fantasy springs HK is the only Asian park headed in the right direction and that’s because they have made tangible improvements to the local perception of the park, meanwhile Tokyo is going backwards and Shanghai is…..Shanghai

I’m not sure, maybe I’m overthinking it

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
USJ just announced today that their Spider-Man ride is closing permanently in January 2024 (it's been rumored for a while that it would be replaced by a Pokemon e-ticket)

I'm hearing people online saying that this frees up TDR's ability to use all Marvel IP in the parks, although I can't comment on how accurate that is.
I mean Spider-Man is the only Marvel IP that resonates here, box office numbers and merch sales show the Japanese audience just doesn’t care about the MCU. This is a country where the only non-Spidey MCU movie to get in the annual top 10 was Endgame, and even that was pretty low.

I just don’t see a big Marvel expansion happening here honestly.

BasiltheBatLord

Is it just OLC becoming more greedy or is japan still spinning out its Covid restrictions very slowly

I feel despite fantasy springs HK is the only Asian park headed in the right direction and that’s because they have made tangible improvements to the local perception of the park, meanwhile Tokyo is going backwards and Shanghai is…..Shanghai

I’m not sure, maybe I’m overthinking it
IDK for sure but my armchair theorizing is it’s a combination of:

1. Finances still recovering from COVID

2. OLC wanting to cautiously experiment with the “less crowds, higher revenue” approach that other parks are adopting

3. Japan being extremely slow to come out of the pandemic (only just now ending here, the final remaining legal basis for restrictions was just repealed last week).

Supersnow84

How hard was Tokyo hit in comparison to the other Asian parks

I struggle to imagine anyone being hit harder than HK (as usual) but it seems to have bounced back faster, relatively, Tokyo seems to have taken the “this is the new normal” approach which I’m not sure is going down well

wdrive

How hard was Tokyo hit in comparison to the other Asian parks

I struggle to imagine anyone being hit harder than HK (as usual) but it seems to have bounced back faster, relatively, Tokyo seems to have taken the “this is the new normal” approach which I’m not sure is going down well

I have no knowledge on the finances but I believe Tokyo was restricted to 5,000 guests per park for awhile? I feel that’s got to lose them more money than just being flat out closed?

Comped

No Marvel presence in Japan would, hopefully, make it so the agreement lapses and allows Disney to do their thing. No idea though, as the text has not, to my knowledge, been firmly explored like Potter's.

No Name

1684539080029.jpeg

Can any of our Japanese-speaking friends tell me what this says? Google translate says “Sea & Salt Bucking Company”

BasiltheBatLord

87 year old OLC CEO (and Disney Legend) Toshio Kagami is retiring. He had been CEO since 2005 and has been at OLC since 1976, before TDL opened. He will remain Chairman of the Board.

Replacing him as CEO will be Executive Vice President Yumiko Takano, OLC’s first female CEO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom