Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

BasiltheBatLord

I’d put my entire fortune (which isn’t much tbf) that TDR changes absolutely nothing. I’d bet most of this country doesn’t change because it’ll be a constant game of chicken and nobody wants to go first. Being without a mask is seen as unforgivably rude, kids are growing up thinking that they should never show their faces to other people. I saw a tweet today about the rule change for possibly allowing this year’s crop of students to graduate without masks replying “I see my friends’ faces on LINE and video chat, I don’t need to see it in person.”

Basically we’re stuck with them forever. I give it a year Barr minimum before we’re allowed to take our masks off indoors at TDR, if ever. I really hope I’m wrong but I fear that I’m not.
IDK, as far as official policy goes it seems like a pretty straight chain of command. Unless I'm mistaken, TDR bases its masking guidelines off the theme park association which bases its guidelines off the government. The government has made it clear that they're finally going to push to end the guidance. I agree that it's probably not going to change the average Japanese person's calculus. And that is a tragedy on a wide societal scale.

But what matters to me is that I can go to the parks without being hassled to put a mask on every 10 minutes. Let everyone else wear masks till kingdom come if they want. Weren't you saying that OLC was having recruiting challenges due to mandatory masking during summer?

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
IDK, as far as official policy goes it seems like a pretty straight chain of command. Unless I'm mistaken, TDR bases its masking guidelines off the theme park association which bases its guidelines off the government. The government has made it clear that they're finally going to push to end the guidance. I agree that it's probably not going to change the average Japanese person's calculus. And that is a tragedy on a wide societal scale.

But what matters to me is that I can go to the parks without being hassled to put a mask on every 10 minutes. Let everyone else wear masks till kingdom come if they want. Weren't you saying that OLC was having recruiting challenges due to mandatory masking during summer?
I was. I think in this moment they’ve changed their mind because it’s cold outside and everyone wants to keep their face warm, and that’s where public opinion has swayed. Maybe I’m a pessimist after three years watching Japan sit still against the rest of the world, but I think them saying something and actually doing it are two entirely separate matters. It seems like the business community and the social expectations alike are going to play mask chicken and I expect OLC to be no different, but minds could change when the oppressive summer heat and humidity return again, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Let’s see what the theme park association does and what USJ does, it took them all some time to catch up with the outdoor mask rule last year.

tanc

Premium Member
Putting a post here about the TDR app.

If you are looking for the Japanese TDR app on android specifically, you have to change your default language to Japanese.

I tried to download an apk of it in Japanese and wondered why it wouldn't work. When I changed the language, I now can use the Japanese app.

Here is the tdr post about it.

From what I understand, the Japanese app has extra features. Maybe the English app had them added but it's good Japanese practice for me so I'll keep it lol

BasiltheBatLord

they've already released it on their website same guidelines together with cast members.

Face mask will be voluntary both Cast members and Guests. Guidelines will be abolished on May 08, 2023.
Interesting, could you link? I'm looking through the TDR site and can't find anything, most recent thing I see on masks is from Sep. 2022.

BasiltheBatLord

Face mask will be voluntary by march 13 according to the official Tokyo Disney Resort website.

So happy this day is finally arriving. Theme parks had been one of the strictest places in Japan when it came to active mask-policing in my experience.

The second bullet point is a little weird though, seems to suggest they still reserve the right to ask guests to put masks on for "reasons"? I really hope there's not going to be certain spots or ride vehicles where they mandate it still.

I believe this makes Shanghai the only Disney park left worldwide with an active mask mandate.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

TDR is getting the same genderless CM attire rules changes that the American parks got in 2021.

How many CMs in Japan will make use of any of those changes though?

1679528620754.png

SweetDuffy101

okay so just we t Tokyo Disneyland yesterday and ive got to see 93% of disneylands entertainment (not jamboree mickey).

These are just my opinions.

Mickeys magical music world- after refurbishment the show had some minimal updates such as changing some background designs through the LED the show got more vibrant in person that last time i went there, During princess medley Male dancers are not face masks anymore and i wish it could have had more characters and dancers otherwise the show is amazing in person, The video doesn't justify the quality of this show.

Dreaming up- its still pandemic version its sad that it only had a very short run, sad to see this is the last time in awhile that we will get to see classic disney movies on a daytime parade in tokyo. Praying that the floats go to overseas park.
Without dancers and baymax unit its still a nice parade.
(Harmony in Color though will have huge floats and a full cast performance with unannounced characters to be introduced during sneak preview)

Minnie We Love you greeting- its just there nothing special really. not worth the wait. the music is nice though but disneysea version ihas better tracklist IMO.

Club mouse beat- This one is a tough show to recommend unless if your a die hard disney music fan, Its basically just a stage show no storyline unlike MMMW, if you're a fan of mickey and friends yay good for you. TBH The show is a hodge pudge kinda all over the place, nothing special and a major downgrade from one mans dream. Still pandemic choreography.

Dont get your hopes high on the 40th version, Its basically a costume change and a finale tag.

Dreamlights- Imma give this a chance even with less characters and dancers its still worth to watch since they recently just updated the sponsor float and casey Jr. float.

Light the night- Its just fireworks really you can see it anywhere in the resort nothing special.

tanc

Premium Member
Going to Tokyo Disney in May, was wondering if I need to bring a straw? I hate paper straws but wasn't sure if they were implemented in Tokyo or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom