Mirror Walt Disney World

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
This is not a suggestion per say, as this would most likely never happen here or irl what with the existing infrastructure and the space for the new pavilions you've added, but this is honestly one of favorite transportation proposals from way back when and I really like thinking about it.
The idea of having a train around World Showcase does sound cool, but I'm afraid some of the stations wouldn't work -- especially given Germany wouldn't have the room for a station with the addition of Rhine River Cruise. If pictures like this are any indication, it would expand and take up the rest of the pavilion space. I'll definitely think it over, though.

Imagineering-Disney_Rhine-River-Cruise-Map_LG.jpg

So will you be covering the Skyliner before we get into Hollywoodland?
I intend to go into all the forms of transportation in Mirror WDW after we go through all the parks and the other major attractions in the resort (Disney Springs, the water parks, Athel Island, and something very special that I intend to save for when we get to that point).

Suchomimus

The idea of having a train around World Showcase does sound cool, but I'm afraid some of the stations wouldn't work -- especially given Germany wouldn't have the room for a station with the addition of Rhine River Cruise.
Hence why I said it was most likely not going to happen. The idea is novel in and of itself but if space wasn't an issue, it would definitely be doable. I had brought the WSE up because I really like to think about it. But what if the railway could completely circle around WS? With 4 stations, starting with Showcase Plaza, then going onto France, U.S.A., and Egypt. If this would be feasible, the only thing that have to be figured out is what kind of rail system would be used; it would probably have to be an elevated railway.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Hence why I said it was most likely not going to happen. The idea is novel in and of itself but if space wasn't an issue, it would definitely be doable. I had brought the WSE up because I really like to think about it. But what if the railway could completely circle around WS? With 4 stations, starting with Showcase Plaza, then going onto France, U.S.A., and Egypt. If this would be feasible, the only thing that have to be figured out is what kind of rail system would be used; it would probably have to be an elevated railway.
I think one could conceivably do something similar to what @D Hulk suggested: a Hogwarts Express-style train. Imagine seeing a full-blown steam train gliding past the entrance of World Showcase! Plus, the stations could even be themed to famous train stations in their countries -- Gare du Lyon, Texas and Pacific Depot, and Ramses Station, with the Showcase Plaza station being themed around Grand Central Station!

In fact, much like how Spaceship Earth serves as the "Main Street railroad station" of Future World -- how you can't see anything beyond it, thus gradually revealing the wonders that await beyond it -- this Showcase Plaza station could serve a similar purpose, as well!

Suchomimus

the Showcase Plaza station being themed around Grand Central Station!
Alternatively, Showcase Plaza could modeled after an old major English station; as the origin of our iron horses come from there. London’s Waterloo and St. Pancras are contenders as Waterloo used to be the original terminus for Eurostar before St. Pancras.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Alternatively, Showcase Plaza could modeled after an old major English station; as the origin of our iron horses come from there. London’s Waterloo and St. Pancras are contenders as Waterloo used to be the original terminus for Eurostar before St. Pancras.
Really? I didn't know that. And upon looking up the two stations, I think St. Pancras would be the better choice. I want to feature more historic places for these replications, and Waterloo just looks too "modern".

800px-St_Pancras_Railway_Station_2012-06-23.jpg

Suchomimus

Really? I didn't know that. And upon looking up the two stations, I think St. Pancras would be the better choice. I want to feature more historic places for these replications, and Waterloo just looks too "modern".

800px-St_Pancras_Railway_Station_2012-06-23.jpg
That is an excellent choice. And as for the trains, I think that since our 4 stations are based on real landmarks, that each locomotives would be based on those that have served there. With S.P., would use a design from the Midland Railway or its successor, the London Midland and Scottish Railway.
IMG_20170329_0031-L.jpg

Edit: I don't if you've made any final choices on the the other engines but I found three for each country for you to consider.
Egypt:
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
50338409182_b06bfa7d9f.jpg

United States:
IMG_0006-010.jpg

France (the engine is a 4-6-0):
6272.1512781988.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
That is an excellent choice. And as for the trains, I think that since our 4 stations are based on real landmarks, that each locomotives would be based on those that have served there. S.P. for example would use a design from the Midland Railway or its successor, the London Midland and Scottish Railway.
IMG_20170329_0031-L.jpg
Excellent idea! I'll definitely have to look more into what kinds of trains could be used.

Now, let us begin our tour of Mirror Walt Disney World's third park. For this introductory post, I was inspired by one of my biggest inspirations for this park -- this idea created for Theme Park Tourist. In fact, two elements of that idea are a part of my walk-through. See if you can guess which ones they are!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Disney’s Hollywoodland

What makes the Disney parks work so well? I honestly believe the secret to its success is that it was created from the point-of-view of a filmmaker. At Disney parks, everything is a form of storytelling. Everything is crafted the way a film is crafted. Those movies we grew up watching come to life before our very eyes, and we get a chance to explore those celluloid worlds. It is in this spirit of the inspiring world of film-making that I welcome you to the third gate of Mirror Walt Disney World: Disney’s Hollywoodland.

When the Disney-MGM Studios opened on May 1, 1989, it was dedicated in the spirit and fantasy of the Hollywood Dream. This is a reverent celebration of Hollywood – not as a place on a map, but as a state of mind. The notion of Hollywood is alive with sights, sounds, glamour, fame, adventure, and mystery. For that reason, Disney’s Hollywoodland is not a movie studio. You won’t see or hear the term “movie magic”, and you’d be hard-pressed to find studio-rig lighting. Hollywood is a place of enduring hope where stories come to life and viewers escape into impossible worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. That describes Disney’s Hollywoodland pretty well, too. This is a place where guests can step into the worlds of some of their favorite films, from old favorites to modern-day offerings. You can even learn how to operate a puppet just like Jim Henson or see first-hand how your favorite animated features are created.

There are two distinct halves to the park, each containing five distinct lands. The first half is A Tribute to Hollywood, honoring the Golden Ages of Hollywood and the art of film-making. A Tribute to Hollywood comprises Hollywood Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1930s, a time when filmmaking was attracting people from all walks of life; Sunset Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1940s, the glitz and glamour of a bygone time; Echo Lake, representing Hollywood in the 1950s, the time when television became one of the most prominent forms of media output; Animation Courtyard, honoring the art of animation, and how animated films are made and Muppet Studios, where the works of Jim Henson’s beloved Muppets come to life in a realistic New York setting, and where we can learn the tricks of the Muppet trade.

The second half is Where Movies Come to Life, which takes you far from the soundstage and right inside your favorite films. Separated from the rest of the park by gates or other barriers, in order to fully immerse guests in these film worlds, Where Movies Come to Life comprises Roger Rabbit’s Hollywood, inspired by Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, inspired by George Lucas’ legendary sci-fi series; The Hinterlands, inspired by Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas; Toy Story Land, inspired by Pixar’s first film foray; as well as Middle Earth, inspired by Warner Bros.’ hit trilogy, The Lord of the Rings.

Furthermore, Sunset Boulevard and Muppet Studios tend to serve as “transition” areas. Despite their official placements, they are considered “transitions” because they ease guests into the world. The films of the Muppets often took place in real-life situations, and their studio does look like the kind you’d see throughout Hollywood. Likewise, in Sunset Boulevard, the natural style of that land blends in beautifully with the initial buildings of Roger Rabbit’s Hollywood down the way, even being built along the same streets! Even The Great Movie Ride, Hollywood Boulevard’s signature attraction, is considered a “transition” because of the way the ride is set up: Begin in the Chinese Theater, step onto a soundstage, and then...you’re in the movies.

With all that said, are you ready? Well, as they say in the movie biz: “Lights, camera, action!”

Hollywood Boulevard

Entrance-Disney-MGM-Studios-1989.jpg

Imagine...it’s another wonderful morning in Florida. The morning sun is turning the sky a bright blue as Walt Disney World rises to greet the new day. Whether you arrive via bus, boat or car, all paths lead to the entrance of Disney’s Hollywoodland. The park’s entrance plaza hugs the edge of Crescent Lake. The wide pathways leads to a replica of the soaring, teal Pan-Pacific Gates. The gates are modeled after the iconic entrance to Los Angeles’ loved-and-lost Pan-Pacific Auditorium. With a triumphant swell of music, the park is open! Eager are we, ready to explore the world where movies come to life. A world of excitement is just waiting for us.

Passing under the gates, guests enter not into a film set or a studio backlot, but into Hollywood in the 1930s. This is the Hollywood of Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This is a town that once took the heart of a young Walt Disney. The automobile has made way for the Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway. The shimmer of neon and bustle of traffic have built a fairy-land from a suitcase and a dream, “where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan.” Here, one can go out and try their luck, and most certainly meet Donald Duck. Here, in the year 1937, the stress of our contemporary life fades for a glimpse into a warm embodiment of the “Hollywood that Never Was.” The shimmer of neon and triumph of a dream set our stage for this reverent tribute to the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

7573.CCT_2D00_20.jpg

In the principle of Main Street, U.S.A. over at the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Boulevard is a sparkling thoroughfare presented in the style and architecture of one historic Hollywood building after the next. The use of Art Deco instills in us a sense of familiarity with a hint of intrigue. The reality of the Great Depression has subdued into the color and excitement of a cinematic Tinseltown. Trolley cables hang throughout the “skies”, while the Red Car Newsboys exclaim the “daily” headlines through song and dance aboard their trolley “stage”. Keystone cops patrol the streets in search of ne’er-do-wells, while an overly-flamboyant movie starlet canoodles her poodle to the adoration of her “fans”. The Citizens of Hollywood simply and thematically add to the immersive environment, all the while setting a period that is further established in Art Deco architecture and rooftop billboards representing fictional and nonfictional products of the 1930s and 1940s. Big band beats fill the air, played in crisp, fresh orchestrations rather than crackling radio transmissions. At the center of this entrance plaza is the Crossroads of the World, a clone of the California icon, with Mickey Mouse atop a spinning globe. The location operates as an information station for the rest of the park. Just within the entrance to the park, guests will also find the Movieland Memorabilia shop, which sells generic Disney’s Hollywoodland and Los Angeles merchandise (a perfect place to do last-minute shopping at the park).

Located to the left of Crossroads of the World is Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Antique Shop, which offers signed autographed pictures and posters from celebrities from a huge variety of different movies. Bright light and the crackle of a phonograph welcome us to Oswald’s Filling Station. There always seems to be a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front. Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, with the inventory following suit. Oswald himself often frequents the station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand. As with Oswald, on Hollywood Boulevard, we can “rub elbows” with the Disney stars of celluloid - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy - dressed in their Hollywood finest.

carparade_16.jpg

Speaking of cars, every day, the streets of Disney’s Hollywoodland play host to a very special procession. When the stars of Disney travel to a red-carpet Hollywood movie premiere, they don’t travel in boring, conventional limousines. They travel in cars that reflect who they are. That’s the premise of the Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade. For 25 minutes, you’ll be treated to a cavalcade of Disney stars and their customized cars. Some stars ride in the cars. Others walk alongside them, often interacting with guests. The parade route starts in Echo Lake, going right by Backlot Express, goes past KWDI and CineMagic, passes in front of the Chinese Theatre, goes down Hollywood Boulevard, and disappears backstage at Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Shop.

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored by the lavish Mickey’s of Hollywood, the largest mercantile in the entire park, basically this park’s equivalent to the Magic Kingdom’s Emporium or EPCOT’s Centorium. Mickey’s of Hollywood sells any and all things related to kid-friendly merchandise, from stuffed Mickeys to Disney character-themed clothing. The store also features large statues depicting the Big Cheese in some of his most iconic roles, including him as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Steamboat Willie and the conductor of “The Band Concert”. From here, guests will come across a small off-set to the left, which leads guests to Hollywood & Vine, a buffet style restaurant that is literally located on the corners of Hollywood & Vine. The interior of the restaurant is a quintessential depiction of 1930s Hollywoodland, featuring neon lights and California depictions of the city-scape. The buffet is open regularly for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with Disney Junior characters popping in for breakfast and lunch, and Minnie and her friends hosting dinner. Returning to the main stretch of Hollywood Boulevard, just past the path leading towards Hollywood & Vine, guests will then find the Keystone Clothiers store, which offers a wide variety of clothes and accessories. The interior of the shop is designed to look like an art-deco lounge in Los Angeles, California.

On the other side of the street, you'll find The Darkroom, a shop which features Nikon cameras and video items. This is also a shop for PhotoPass participants, where guests can see and buy their photos taken throughout the park that day. The outside of the shop takes an artistic style from “California Crazy” architecture, which is big, bold and well, crazy. The exterior of the shop is a large camera. The Darkroom than leads to the next store on Hollywood Boulevard, Cover Story. The store feature primarily plush toys and child clothes. Nearby that is Celebrity 5 & 10, which features a wide variety of Disney's Hollywoodland merchandise, as well as general Walt Disney World merchandise. The shop also features item embroidery. Finally, there’s Adrian & Edith’s Head to Toe. From Mickey ears to hand towels, this costume designer-inspired store offers distinctive clothing and keepsakes as well as embroidered towels, aprons and Christmas stockings. From here, the road then splits off to an intersection to the right, where the road then leads down the Sunset Boulevard strip. This is the location for the Trolley Car Café, a good place to get some Starbucks coffee (perfect for those who need that “java jive” to get them going early in the morning). On the opposite corner, surrounding a fountain, is Guest Relations. This is a great location to go to receive any information that you might need while visiting Hollywood.

From here, Hollywood Boulevard then proceeds to split off into the Grauman’s Chinese Theater Courtyard, a beautiful courtyard surrounded with lush, green foliage and planted with lining palm trees. The surrounding area is lined with plains of grass, planted with bountiful trees, illuminated with twinkling LED lights. Throughout this courtyard, one can not only meet classic Disney characters, but characters from the non-Disney films represented in The Great Movie Ride -- characters like Indiana Jones, Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund, Ellen Ripley, the trio from Singin’ in the Rain: Don Lockwood, Kathy Selden and Cosmo Brown, and, of course, the four heroes of The Wizard of Oz: Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion.

wal118935LARGE.jpg

Disney’s Hollywoodland is anchored in the remarkable aspiration of a young man who left Kansas City for Los Angeles with big dreams - and little money. His ideas, drive and determination would one day change the world. That man was Walt Disney. Storytellers recalls the moment in which a young Walt and Mickey first laid foot in the City of Angels. The tribute of bronze and plaster has hidden itself among the foot-traffic of the Chinese Theater Courtyard, a subtle reminder that Walt was once such an everyday dreamer as ourselves. An adjacent plaque reads: “It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day the day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!” - Walt Disney

To the right of the courtyard, guests will find the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, a lavish restaurant modeled after the truly iconic location, located in the park just up the corner from the Hollywood & Vine streets. The restaurant is famously known for its Cobb Salad, which was apparently Sid Grauman’s favorite snack after he had undergone some dental work. The restaurant features wonderful meals, while completely re-inventing the iconic restaurant, which even includes the classic Bamboo Room, modeled after the VIP Space.

Detail.jpeg

To the left of the courtyard, you’ll find that the bland, nondescript Superstar Television Theater has been turned into a replica of the famous Hollywood Pantages Theatre. Inside, an extraordinary journey into the world of film: CineMagic. From the charm of the silent era to the modern blockbuster, Martin Short and Julie Delpy star in a romantic, remastered, English-language version of the now-lost treasure of Walt Disney Studios Paris. From one moment to the next, such featured films include Mary Poppins, Titanic, and Star Wars, all concluding in a waltz down the Yellow Brick Road. Also here is the American Film Institute Showcase, which moved over from the Backlot Tour to here in 2014; a perfect post-show for CineMagic.

5ccb61205eadc.image.jpg

Well, we’ve been skirting around it long enough -- let's get to the shining star of Hollywood Boulevard: a life-size replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The Chinese Theatre is one of the most famous in all of Hollywood, a theater which has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. The theater has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres, including two Disney films: Mary Poppins in 1964 and The Jungle Book in 1967, souvenirs from which you can find in window displays. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. Outside of the theater, instrumental musical pieces from well-known movies play.

The actual Chinese Theater in Los Angeles had been studied to be re-created and detailed in exact appearance here at Disney’s Hollywoodland. Not only was the exterior of the Theater created, but even the forecourt was created, having actual celebrity handprints and spurting fountains along the rim of the Theater. Having celebrities arrive to place their handprints has been a time-honored tradition of Disney’s Hollywoodland ever since Opening Day. Some of the first additions (apart from Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy, of course) include Bob Hope, Alan Alda, Jim Henson (and Kermit), Liza Minnelli and Danny DeVito, and some of the more modern additions include the likes of Robert Downey Jr., Stan Lee, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and Channing Tatum.

Great-Movie-Ride-1.jpg

Inside the theater, we can take The Great Movie Ride, a 25-minute guided dark ride through the history of cinema, cataloging and bringing to life some of the greatest stories ever told. Brimming with excitement, we enter the lavish movie palace and into a lobby filled with iconic props and posters of the silver screen; Dorothy’s ruby slippers, the Ark of the Covenant, Mary Poppins’ carousel horse. An inspired collection of trailers and scenes of classic cinema lead to a soundstage held beneath the Hollywoodland Sign at twilight. Here we board a “traveling theater” for a guided, immersive tour through the world of cinematic history.

Narrated by film historian and longtime Disney collaborator Leonard Maltin, The Great Movie Ride employs the use of Audio-Animatronic figures, practical sets, live actors, projections and special effects in a 25-minute experience. Along the way, we pass screen legends in their most iconic roles; a tableau of film in a timeless snapshot, from one movie to the next. The finale, of course, brings all the films together in a moving montage of what else, but great movies… Such featured films include Titanic, Godzilla, Singin’ in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. This is the signature attraction of not just Hollywood Boulevard, but of the park itself.

Hollywoodland-sign-with-dot-Hollywood-hills-with-lone-house-circa-1924.jpg

If you need to take a brief respite from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood Boulevard, then take a quiet stroll through the Eastern Gardens. This is a tranquil and gorgeous garden nestled alongside the left side of the Chinese Theatre and into the Hollywoodland Hills, which serve as the street’s backdrop. Under the hill’s uneven letters reading HOLLYWOODLAND are the garden’s walking paths, bridges, streams, pagodas, and waterfalls that serve as a break from the ever-frantic pulse of Tinseltown. A secret path leads right inside the hills and takes guests into Toy Story Land, helping guests slowly transition into becoming “toy-size.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What do you think? It's not much, but I think this makes for a great introduction. And I should point out, the idea to have the handprint ceremonies continue well on into the park's existence comes from an idea from a concept we had back on the Visions Fantastic forums of old, devised by @comics101, @Snoopy, as well as FutureImagineer and Monkey4057.

And by the way, here's how we'll be going through the lands of the park. We’ll start with “A Tribute to Hollywood”, then explore the “Where Movies Come to Life” areas in order of opening date. In other words, we’ll go through the lands like this...

--Hollywood Boulevard
--Sunset Boulevard
--Echo Lake
--Animation Courtyard
--Muppet Studios
--Roger Rabbit’s Hollywood
--Middle Earth
--Toy Story Land
--Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
--The Hinterlands

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Excellent idea! I'll definitely have to look more into what kinds of trains could be used.
I've added some more locomotives for you to consider with the Midland engine (you won't how difficult it was to find a T&P engine that wouldn’t manage tight curves and with a wheel arrangement that was not another 4-4-0 or a 4-6-0).

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I've added some more locomotives for you to consider with the Midland engine (you won't how difficult it was to find a T&P engine that wouldn’t manage tight curves and with a wheel arrangement that was not another 4-4-0 or a 4-6-0).
Those trains do look impressive! And they do seem to have that timeless appeal to them, much like the trains that circle the Magic Kingdom. I'm definitely more inclined to return to the World Showcase posts at some point to officially install the World Showcase Express at Mirror EPCOT!

Suchomimus

Those trains do look impressive! And they do seem to have that timeless appeal to them, much like the trains that circle the Magic Kingdom. I'm definitely more inclined to return to the World Showcase posts at some point to officially install the World Showcase Express at Mirror EPCOT!
I have one more suggestion for the World Showcase Railway, and that is videos of countries played on each train when travel to and departing stations and during transitions (in clockwise and counterclockwise).
Clockwise:
  • Departing Showcase Plaza - windows play train departing SP with animated characters; like the Fab Five waving as the train leaves the station (all trains have some characters walking around and waving to the departing and arriving trains) - train overlooks Showcase Lagoon into a tunnel (video also change with the sun) - Canada - France - Jamaica - United States - Italy - Egypt - China - exits forested area into an open view of Showcase Lagoon and into Showcase Plaza.
  • Departing France (all trains departing stations have the same video, it's the countries that they play between stops that makes them different) - Morocco - United Stated - Greek - Egypt - Norway - Showcase Plaza - Brazil - France.
  • United States - German - Egypt - Jordan - Showcase Plaza - United Kingdom - France - India - United States.
  • Egypt - Mexico - Showcase Plaza - South Africa - France - Japan - United States - Australia - Egypt.
Counterclockwise:
  • Showcase Plaza - Mexico - Egypt - Australia - United States - Japan - France - South Africa - Showcase Plaza.
  • Egypt - Germany - United States - India - France - United Kingdom - Showcase Plaza - Jordan - Egypt.
  • United States - Morocco - France - Brazil - Showcase Plaza - Norway - Egypt - Greece - United States.
  • France - Canada - Showcase Plaza - China - Egypt - Italy - United States - Jamaica - France.
Most of the videos would also be filmed along scenic highlights of real life railways and have some transition effects; like tunnels, big buildings, forests and clouds. The only places where it wouldn't be real are the stations themselves and the line from Mexico to Showcase Plaza to Canada, as that will be rendered in photorealistic CGI as with the Hogwarts Express.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I have one more suggestion for the World Showcase Railway, and that is videos of countries played on each train when travel to and from stations (in clockwise and counterclockwise)
Clockwise:
  • Departing Showcase Plaza - windows play train departing SP with animated characters; like the Fab Five waving as the train leaves the station (all trains have some characters walking around and waving to the departing and arriving trains) - train overlooks Showcase Lagoon into a tunnel (video also change with the sun) - tunnel lead into Canada - France - train departs France - Jamaica - United States - train departs U.S. into pine forest - goes into Italian - arrives in Egypt - departs Egypt - China - exits forested area into an open view of Showcase Lagoon and into Showcase Plaza.
  • Departing France (all trains departing stations have the same video, it's the countries that they play between stops that makes them different) - Morocco - United Stated - Greek - Egypt - Norway - Showcase Plaza - Brazil - France.
  • United States - German - Egypt - Jordan - Showcase Plaza - United Kingdom - France - India - United States.
  • Egypt - Mexico - Showcase Plaza - South Africa - France - Japan - United States - Australia - Egypt.
Counterclockwise:
  • Showcase Plaza - Mexico - Egypt - Australia - United States - Japan - France - South Africa - Showcase Plaza.
  • Egypt - Germany - United States - India - France - United Kingdom - Showcase Plaza - Jordan - Egypt.
  • United States - Morocco - France - Brazil - Showcase Plaza - Norway - Egypt - Greece - United States.
  • France - Canada - Showcase Plaza - China - Egypt - Italy - United States - Jamaica - France.
I love this concept! Honestly, I'd go counterclockwise with the Express. I think that most people start their foot treks around World Showcase in Mexico, so going counterclockwise would make sense with that in mind.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Sunset Boulevard

10-BLF7209630-Edit.jpg

Sunset Boulevard takes guests back to a different side of Hollywood, as well as the different sides of the entertainment industry. Just off of the Hollywood Brown Derby, guests will find the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard, a reminiscent take on a classic 1940s-era Hollywood street. The street is very similar to Hollywood Boulevard, as it is filled with shops and eateries, stretching into the eastern-most part of the park. Sunset Boulevard is definitely a place filled with excitement, charm, thrills, all while keeping the classic Golden Age of Hollywood intact. The buildings that form the exteriors of Sunset Boulevard are meant to portray a theater district in California, for both cinemas and live theater performances. The exteriors feature grand ornamentation and close attention to detail to provide a powerful experience throughout the area. Some of the buildings are topped with billboards, showcasing the innovations and entertainment that were all the rage over seven decades ago.

The area features more stylistic designs to the architecture, as opposed to Hollywood Boulevard. Sunset Boulevard is inspired by the reviving architecture that was starting to be re-used in California during the decade, showcasing the many different ornate and intricate building designs. The boulevard curves slightly, as lined palm trees align the way to the back of the boulevard, where the tall, inactive Hollywood Tower Hotel rests. The Red Car Trolley makes its way down Sunset Boulevard, passing the hotel and heading on towards Roger Rabbit’s Hollywood. After all, it needs to make the Terminal Bar rumble!

On the left side of the street, guests will find the Beverly Hills Theater, the home of Sweet Spells, a sweet confectionery, including elements of the Disney Villains, as portraits of Disney Villains hang from the walls of the sweet candy store. In the windows of the store, guests will find figures of the Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. Connected to Sweet Spells is Villains in Vogue, your one-stop shop for all things evil! Just across the street, guests will find Legends of Hollywood, found inside of the exterior of the Academy Theater. The location features generic Disney’s Hollywoodland merchandise, as well as a selection of Disney jewelry and watches, including limited edition pieces. Nearby, you’ll find Mouse About Town, filling the space left when the Planet Hollywood store closed in 2019. Mouse About Town is a quite fashionable shop. This is the place for men's apparel and golf accessories. The store is themed with a golf club motif so if you need a polo shirt with Mickey on it, this is the place.

At the end of the street, guests will find the historic Carthay Circle Theatre. This detailed re-creation of the now-defunct movie house is a true testament to the glamour and romance of the Golden Age. Among more Disney fans, this place is practically legendary, because in 1937, this theater is where Walt Disney risked the future of his still-young animation studio and premiered the world’s first feature-length animated film. Stepping inside the theater, we are whisked into the world of that immortal film: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

2431562129_aa62405f8f.jpg

An all-new version of Disneyland’s Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs takes us aboard a mine cart named for one of the Dwarfs and into a masterpiece in carnival “spook house” dark rides. A breathtaking, three-dimensional mural and diorama of the Seven Dwarfs’ Cottage and the “Enchanted Forest” prelude the beauty, grandeur and magic of this cornerstone of the animation industry. Once inside our mine cart, we are in store for a harrowing adventure through the film's most iconic moments -- the whimsical and the dark, the funny and the scary, and everything in-between. Of course, Snow White does receive her “Happily Ever After”, though the same could not be said for the fate of the Wicked Witch…

mgm+10.jpg

Further down the street, guests will find the Theater of the Stars. For ten years, this theater served as the home of Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage, in a theater shielded from the elements solely by a large canopy. But as 2001 came and went, it was decided to give the theater an update. Nowadays, the theater has shed its Hollywood Bowl theming in favor of something straight out of the grand movie-houses of the ‘30s and ‘40s. Much like the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, handprints can be found within the theater courtyard. Only here, the handprints are those of famous television stars: for example, Alex Trebek, Vanna White, Martin Mull, James Doohan, Lou Ferrigno and Fess Parker.

Inside, the newly-refurbished Theater recalls a bygone elegance of movie houses, adorned with Art Deco and Art Nouveau flourishes from the 1930s and 1940s. With the loss of the Hollywood Bowl theming comes a slightly-expanded stage area, as well as updated technologies, both on-stage and off -- new set design, projections, new lighting, new sound, new everything. Speaking of new sound, a live orchestra accompanies the show!

Now, with this change in the theater’s design came a new show. What would a park themed around Hollywood be without an awards ceremony? The proud musical legacy of Disney is on full display as the Theater of the Stars hosts The Golden Mickeys!

disney-cruise-line-golden-mickeys-4.jpg

Directed by acclaimed Broadway director Diane Paulus and choreographed by Enchanted choreographer Maria Torres, The Golden Mickeys is a show that makes guests feel as if they are attending an awards show. The Golden Mickeys highlights achievements by various Disney characters in several different categories; represented, of course, through some of the most iconic songs to come from the Disney movies.

Right from the get-go, the feeling of being at an awards ceremony hits you. The entrance ramp that leads up to the theater is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There’s no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up a few feet away from the entrance doors. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera. An announcement is made that Rona Rivers, famed red carpet hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show. A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her. As the special guests (a.k.a. us) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what “designer” line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other “red carpet” questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.

However, just as the music tunes up and the performance is about to begin, there’s a commotion backstage. The master of ceremonies has failed to appear, so a reluctant young stage manager named Chris (who, in this version of the show, is a gender-fluid role) must take over hosting duties. The show follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in his/her role. What makes the show truly stand out is that it highlights many of the classic Disney films. In fact, there are fifteen Disney films represented in this 65-minute production! To prove it, here’s a program detailing all the songs and films represented in the show…

• Pre-Show: “Red Carpet Arrival”
  • Opening: “Tonight is the Night”
  • History Lesson (Scene between Chris and Leonard Maltin)
  • Classic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    • “Someday My Prince Will Come”
    • “Whistle While You Work”
    • “Heigh-Ho”
  • Heroism
  • Symphony
    • “Under the Sea” (The Little Mermaid)
    • “Dig a Little Deeper” (The Princess and the Frog)
  • Villainy
    • “Cruella de Vil” (101 Dalmatians)
  • Friendship
    • “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” (Lilo & Stitch)
    • “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” (Toy Story)
  • Romance
    • “Bella Notte” (Lady and the Tramp)
    • “I See the Light” (Tangled)
    • “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” (The Lion King)
    • “Beauty and the Beast” (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Finale: “Who Knows Where a Dream Might Lead?”
This is an extravaganza unlike any other. Enjoy it as it all unfolds with dazzling song-and-dance numbers that pay homage to the magic and stories of Disney. And then -- just like in the movies -- see a once unsure stage manager transform into a confident host, realizing that anything is possible and dreams really do come true. And by the time the curtain falls, the message rings out with crystal clarity: In our hearts, we are all winners!

ecd9b464a461658cc8c295d90e12ec96.jpg

At the easternmost part of the park, guests will find the Hollywood Tower Hotel, casting a foreboding shadow against the Hollywood streets. Looking at it from the side, something bad has happened. A giant, cracked hole in the middle of the tower appears, as a complete part of the building has seemingly been ripped from the hotel. We step uneasily into the infamous hotel, only to find a dusty, abandoned lobby frozen in time, with everything in order as it was nearly one hundred years ago, left in untouched condition. Even the subdued hotel staff seems to be strangely out of this long-lost era.

Legend has it that the hotel was once the pinnacle of the hotels in Hollywood, until lightning struck the place on Halloween night of 1939, sending an elevator and five unfortunate hotel patrons into parts unknown. In the aftermath of such a tragedy, the Hollywood Tower closed its doors. But now, the doors have mysteriously opened up, allowing guests to take an unusual journey aboard that haunted elevator. We strap ourselves in and prepare to discover what lies among the dark side of the Hollywood dream. We shriek in terror as we are suddenly propelled up and down the abandoned shaft - unexpectedly dropping and rising - as the sound of cables snapping and metal clanging rings in from overhead. When this living nightmare finally ceases, we’ll hopefully discover the mysteries of the Hollywood Tower Hotel ... or as it’s more commonly referred to ... The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

Our excursion into the Twilight Zone supernaturally exits into Tower Gifts, a musty gift shop of the old Hollywood Tower Hotel.

In the shadow of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, displayed prominently on the edge of Crescent Lake, is an exact replica of the Griffith Observatory. Hardcore Disney fans know that this Los Angeles icon was where the climax of one of Disney’s underrated gems began. And now, when we enter this building, we can join in on an all-new adventure in The Rocketeer and the Squadron of Doom!

the-rocketeer.jpg

Although Neville Sinclair -- the former Hollywood heartthrob revealed to be working for the Nazis -- has been vanquished, his band of German buddies are out seeking revenge against the man who sent Sinclair flying to his demise. Only this time, they’re going to extra lengths to make sure they win the day in the end. This is where we come in. A newsreel is cut off by an urgent message from Cliff, Jenny and Peevy: the Nazis have formed the “Squadron of Doom”, a regiment so big in numbers, that the Rocketeer alone won’t be able to stop them. They tell us that Howard Hughes has been modifying his jetpacks, and has developed enough for a whole squadron of Rocketeers...namely, us.

Utilizing a more thrilling concept on the Soarin’ ride system -- one that can shake and buck -- we join the Rocketeer on a flight over Los Angeles. Predictably, the Squadron of Doom emerges from the trade winds in a fleet of warplanes, keen on acquiring our jetpacks by any means possible. A spectacular dogfight commences in, around and through Los Angeles’ famous landmarks -- the L.A. River, La Brea Tar Pits, and even a movie premiere! -- while the Rocketeer repels the invaders. It all culminates with an explosive finale in a special effects soundstage!

This epic adventure, which predates Soarin’ by about five years, has delighted guests ever since it opened in 1996. Billy Campbell, Jennifer Connolly and Alan Arkin all reprise their roles from the film, and James Horner provided a new score just for the attraction. In 2016, as part of the ride’s 20th anniversary, the ride system got an upgrade, allowing for even more thrills than before! Now, the jetpacks can move more like a KUKA arm, not like the rather gentle Soarin’ technique.

6e979e9e71185f308ed49759c5e9140c.jpg

It seems only fitting that the famous Bulldog Café neighbor Griffith Observatory. Some Disney fans may be shocked to learn that this wasn’t built for the movie. This place actually existed in Hollywood, from 1928 to 1966. Like Min & Bill’s and Dinosaur Gertie’s over in Echo Lake, the Bulldog Café is another example of California Crazy architecture. It’s made to resemble a gigantic bulldog, complete with a puffing corn cob pipe. Of course, fans of The Rocketeer may recall that the bulldog’s head is Peevy’s personal man-cave. But down below, delicious tamales, burgers, chili and ice cream are on the menu. Of course, Cliff Secord and Jenny Blake, and not to mention Peevy Peabody, are often out and about in this corner of Hollywood, ready to meet with fellow aspiring actors and future heroes.

MerryGoRound.jpg

Across the way from Griffith Observatory is an exact replica of the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round. It was here at this very spot that Walt Disney first dreamed up the concept that would become Disneyland. As he watched his daughters go round on the merry-go-round as he sat on a bench eating peanuts, he wondered why there wasn't a place where parents and children could have fun together. Such a wondering would go on to inspire countless Disney parks around the world. Now, enjoy a replica of this iconic Spillman ride in a bucolic, park-like setting overlooking Crescent Lake. Find a tribute to Walt Disney, complete with a statue of Walt on a bench, murals depicting his brainstorming process, and a calliope playing classic Disneyland favorites.

At the far end of Sunset Boulevard is the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater. Throughout the day, it sits dormant. But when night falls, it’s a whole other story…

3a1f1514941241ee7191d822a7e33fec.jpg

When night falls on Sunset Boulevard, the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater is magically transformed into an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. The incredible world of Mickey’s imagination comes to life in Fantasmic!, a spectacular nighttime pageant. A mysterious, mountainous island becomes the stage for a timeless clash between good and evil, with lasers, projection mapping, cascading waters, extraordinary digital projections, and breathtaking pyrotechnics.

In Mickey’s dream, we witness the forces of good and evil engaged in conflict, where mischievous monkeys, pink elephants, wild cowpoke, magical genies, swashbuckling pirates, voyagers and demigods, and princesses more surprisingly appear on and around the island and the surrounding waterways. When Mickey is pulled into the Magic Mirror, the forces of evil are awakened as Queen Grimhilde summons some of Disney’s most dastardly villains - including Ursula, Scar, Dr. Facilier, Chernabog, and Maleficent, the latter having transformed into a 45-foot, fire-breathing dragon!

Will Mickey triumph over the evil forces inside his imagination?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That was Sunset Boulevard, ladies and gents!

The idea for The Rocketeer and the Squadron of Doom was inspired by two separate concepts: @D Hulk's attraction for DisneySky, as well as The Rocketeer Over Hollywood, created for The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Homecoming Edition in 2018 by the combined forces of the Orange Team and the Green Team. Likewise, the Orange and Green Teams also came up with the Bulldog Café and the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round, so all credit to them!

Next time: Hollywood enters the 1950s, an era represented via Echo Lake! See you then!

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Echo Lake

sbe003712LARGE.jpg

You know, they say the central plaza of Disney’s Hollywoodland looks a lot like Mickey Mouse. If that's the case, there’s one dead-ringer for the right ear. It is, of course, Echo Lake. If Hollywood Boulevard represents Hollywood in the 1930s, and Sunset Boulevard represents Hollywood in the 1940s, then Echo Lake represents Hollywood in the 1950s. The sounds of jazz and early rock-and-roll fill the air. The haunting a capella sounds of the Doo-Wop Dans can be heard throughout Echo Lake, as this leather-clad quintet travels throughout this small town throughout the day, singing doo-wop songs both old (“In the Still of the Night”), new (“For the Longest Time”) and in-between (“Lollipop”...in the style of that Dell commercial from 2009). Echo Lake represents a small town in Hollywood in the mid-50s; the post-war years, when television was just starting out: a whole new frontier in the world of entertainment.

Echo Lake Park is an actual man-made reservoir in the Echo Lake neighborhood near the Hollywood districts and has been recreated here at Disney’s Hollywoodland as well, albeit, a much smaller version of it. Mid-century architecture and oasis vegetation, not too different from that found in Southern California, wrap around Echo Lake. On both sides of the lake are two eateries, making full use of the “California Crazy” architecture that was popular in the 50s. First is Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner, an open-air tramp steamer eatery that pays homage to the 1930 comedy Min and Bill. Serving specialty foot-long hot dogs, pulled pork sliders and delicious vegetarian options—as well as assorted beverages—it’s a perfect place to dock ‘n’ dine! Nearby, shipping crates provide homages to beloved films like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life, Gone with the Wind and The Producers. On the other side of the lake is Dinosaur Gertie’s Ice Cream of Extinction. Named after Windsor McCay’s iconic Gertie the Dinosaur, this stand is the best place to get a cold treat on a hot day.

Back on the mainland, nearby Hollywood and Vine, you’ll find the
50’s Prime Time Café, where guests are transported back to their grandparents’ homes, in the dawn of the television age, where every room in this café features the new technology. The televisions feature early black and white television show promos and advertisements from the early days of television. The waitresses and waiters act as idealized images of the family, telling guests to eat their vegetables and to keep their elbows off of the table. These characters are a huge part of the show and help tell the story of the restaurant. You’ll also find the Tune-In Lounge, which serves alcoholic beverages.

Just off of the Prime Time Café, longtime visitors will find that Indiana Jones has long since performed his last Epic Stunt Spectacular. With Indiana Jones Adventure proving more popular than its show counterpart, it was decided to end the show. But what has replaced it?

hith-project-blue-book-getty88830821-2.jpg

Although Indiana Jones’ arid desert has left Echo Lake, a desert still remains in its place. However, instead of the mystic deserts of Egypt, you’ll find yourself in what appears to be Roswell… Could extraterrestrial beings be among us? We’ll have to step forward to find out, because this is Attack of the Atomic Alien, a ride inspired by a notorious film trend that was in its heyday in the 1950s: the B-movie.

Rising above the treetops of Echo Lake is a 1950s science museum, where a satellite is ever turning to and fro, in search of strange beings in the sky. Police tape and gates let us know that the museum has been closed to the public … yet there is a path leading straight inside. Stepping inside, we find that the U.S. military has taken over the museum, working with the scientists to figure out the source of a strange occurrence. Yes, Attack of the Atomic Alien places us in a cinematic depiction of one of the greatest modern myths: the presence of aliens. Now, Disney’s Hollywoodland already has a “scary” attraction in the form of the Tower of Terror, but Atomic Alien here is more like The Haunted Mansion: combining genuine spooks with light-hearted gags. Remember, this is based on schlocky B-movies, so expect hilarity and cheesiness in high doses. In fact, @D Hulk, creator of this incredible ride, said that it had a “rubbery 1950s monster movie tone and Tim Burton-esque humor”, and that statement applies tenfold here. We should feel as if we are inside one of those films featured at the Sci-Fi Dine-In not too far away. But of course, here, the effects are far more impressive.

Plan 9 from Outer Space continues the B-movie theme of Attack of the Atomic Alien, named for the truly horrid sci-fi classic created by one of the undisputed kings of the schlocky B-movie: Ed Wood. In this peculiar shop, vintage memorabilia from nearly all mediums of pop culture - classic horror, Marvel Comics, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Animation, Godzilla, old sci-fi flicks, etc. - line the glass-encased shelves, while miniature statues of King Kong, Godzilla and the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms keep watch from above.

Right next door to Attack of the Atomic Alien, we find an all-new restaurant. In reference to the classic 1950s diners that offer breakfast 24 hours a day, the Backlot Express has turned into the All-American Waffle Co. This joint acts in lieu of your typical breakfast joint in the American Southwest, dishing up jumbo-sized, Mickey Mouse-shaped waffles, complete with your choice of toppings; in addition to all sorts of other breakfast items and other famous diner fare -- burgers, fries, chili and luscious pies and shakes for dessert.

Across the street from the All-American Waffle Co., marked by a giant broadcast tower, you’ll find the neon-lit sign marking the entrance to the KWDI Television Station, located right along the edge of Echo Lake. The television station, which takes the place of what used to be the Monster Sound Show, is inspired by a 1950s television studio. Inside, we become part of the live audience...or become part of the show itself, for this is the place to go to take a look behind the scenes at SuperStar Television!

spt930111.jpg

This show, which originally played in the theater where CineMagic plays nowadays, moved over to Echo Lake on April 22, 1999, to better blend in with the “1950s dawn of television” aesthetic. In this fun-filled show, guests get the chance to take part in a typical broadcast day, taking guests through the history of television. Originally, this was achieved by having guests try to get the emcee’s attention, but nowadays, much like with Jedi Training Academy, this is something you have to register for. Utilizing chroma-key and physical sets, you’ll see these average tourists appear in some of the most beloved TV shows of all time. Don’t worry if you can’t see anything -- there are eight giant screens above your head, so you’ll be able to see how chroma-key works.

In 2003, it was announced that NBC and Universal would be merging, and this led to a bit of trouble with the show. All the sections themed around NBC shows -- like Howdy Doody, Bonanza and Cheers -- were removed from the show, and replaced with new ones. In fact, here’s what the SuperStar Television line-up looks like nowadays…

• A typical morning news show, where a guest (playing a newscaster) reads off various humorous Weekend Update-style news stories, culminating in the recent opening of Disneyland.
  • A promo for The Lone Ranger, with a child/infant on a rocking horse starring as the famous Western hero.
  • The famous chocolate conveyor belt scene from I Love Lucy, with an audience member playing Ethel.
  • The emcee describes the rise of color television in the 1960s.
  • A scene from General Hospital.
  • A promo advertising Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color and The Ed Sullivan Show.
  • A scene from Bewitched, featuring audience members as Samantha and Darrin.
  • The opening to Gilligan’s Island, featuring audience members as the Skipper, Thurston Howell III, Ginger and the Professor.
  • News footage of the Apollo 11 moon landing was then shown featuring Walter Cronkite. It is revealed that Neil Armstrong’s famous speech came from cue cards held up by one of the audience participants.
  • An audience member dressed as a waiter gets involved in a pie fight with the Three Stooges. (Airing “Weekdays at 4:00.”)
  • A “commercial medley” -- featuring audience members performing in various classic television commercials (ex. a child asking Mr. Owl about Tootsie Pops; an old lady asking “Where’s the beef?”; a group of men as Pace Picante-loving cowboys (“NEW YORK CITY?!”); a group doing Budweiser’s “Wassup?!”).
  • An episode of The Simpsons airing at 9:00 in the evening, featuring a couch gag wherein the Simpsons are shocked to discover live humans sitting on their couch!*
  • A scene from The Golden Girls episode “To Catch a Neighbor”, featuring audience members as the McDowells and the police.
  • In a clip lifted from the Soundstage Tour of the early days of Disney-MGM Studios, Siskel & Ebert (At the Movies) appear on the screens to review the last scene; praising the acting in particular.
  • ABC Sports, with a child playing the part of the baseball player that wins the game.
  • Whose Line Is It, Anyway?, where one volunteer joins Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles and Wayne Brady for a round of Scenes From a Hat. Originally, this scene featured Drew Carey as the host, but was later reshot with Aisha Tyler when the reboot premiered.
  • On The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, four children get the chance to don the “Big Furry Hat” with Stephen and read off demands that have been pre-prepared. Originally, this was David Letterman with a segment on what the audience of SuperStar Television wants to see dropped off of a five-story tower.
*And if you’re wondering about The Simpsons being part of this show, in what is basically Mirror Universal, Back to the Future: The Ride does not close to make way for The Simpsons Ride. Instead, an update -- complete with reshot 2015 scene -- refreshes the experience from queue to exit.

A few months after Disney-MGM Studios first opened, Star Tours debuted in Florida. However, when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge was announced in 2015, Star Tours’ presence was starting to become more and more...redundant. Thus, in 2020, Star Tours took its last flight and a year later, The Incredibles: Battle for Metroville! opened.

wiDGnsn9RtNglgKQy4J1jZQBG5v.jpg

This epic adventure is held within the facade of the Metroville Courthouse and Second Public Library. As we meander through these public facilities, we learn of Metroville’s “super” past, including the destruction of the First Public Library by notorious supervillain, Bomb Voyage. A secret passage leads into the Courthouse, where we pass by other supervillains in jail cells. Heading deeper and deeper into the inner sanctums of the Courthouse, a TV monitor suddenly crackles to life before us: The Incredibles -- Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Dash, Violet and Jack-Jack -- as well as Frozone, are being honored in Metroville in a grand celebration! Suddenly, the celebration is waylaid by the arrival of Bomb Voyage, desperate to finish what he started all those years ago. What to do?! The feed is intercepted by Edna Mode, who tells us that it’s up to us to assist the “Supers” and save the day from the miming menace. And how do we help the Incredibles? Well, luckily “E”’s got us covered, thanks to her patented Incredispeeders, which conveniently enough are docked inside the Courthouse.

Since this is a motion simulator attraction, we are in for one wild ride. We “stretch” with Elastigirl, “glide” with Frozone, “dash” with Dash, get caught in one of Violet’s force fields and, to an incredible extent, experience “super strength” with Mr. Incredible. The attraction is presented in a seamless mix of digital projections, three-dimensional sets and audio-animatronic figures, bringing the world of the Disney*Pixar classic to life like never before. The Incredibles themselves, alongside their trusted acquaintances, Frozone and Edna, often meet fans right outside the ride.

sci-fi-dine-in-theater-gallery00.jpg

Going past The Incredibles, the Sci-Fi Dine-In serves the ultimate in thematic dining. Though the restaurant’s aged facade - the Hollywood Water District - suggests otherwise, we are instead immersed into a faux, outdoor realm of endless night, where vintage roadsters sit before a flickering, black-and-white movie screen. In a car-shaped booth of our own, we chow down on scrumptious morsels while watching scary clips on the big screen: attacking aliens, marauding mummies, rampaging robots and more, all to the orchestral themes of Bernard Herrmann and Bernhard Kaun. Naturally, animated shorts and skits intersperse the rather monstrous imagery, including an old favorite.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What do you think, everybody?

I should point out that most of my inspiration for this refurbished Echo Lake comes from the Eliasburg concept from @MANEATINGWREATH's 2016 Dream Resort concept. Likewise, The Incredibles: Battle for Metroville! comes from his The Incredibles: Escape the Martians! concept. I changed the storyline a tad, because we already have an alien-themed ride in this corner of the park.

Speaking of which, the idea of doing a B-movie ride at Echo Lake is one I've had ever since I started doing Mirror Walt Disney World, and Atomic Boneyard from @D Hulk's DisneySky was too good not to use. I changed the name because I wanted to lean more into the B-movie aspect of the ride.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Hey guys, a brief update. Going forward, there will be two major things that shape Mirror Disney's Hollywoodland. Ever since I mentioned the concept of a Mirror Universal Orlando, my mind has been buzzing with what that could entail. Much like how @MANEATINGWREATH's Mirror Disneyland revolves around "what would happen if WestCOT was built", this Mirror Universal idea revolves around "what would happen if Universal's Cartoon World was built". You may think that this will affect the two Warner Bros. lands in Mirror Disney's Hollywoodland negatively, but I will keep them in; and I will explain why as we go along.

Second, I am going to be adding another land to this park. Stanza II of The Sorcerer's Apprentice has been inspiring me to bring a certain film world to life here. I'm not gonna spoil things. I want to surprise you... I won't even add the land to the introduction post until the post for the land has been uploaded.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Can't wait to see ride script of Toontown Transit (Roger Rabbit simulator ride) looks like @DisneyManOne can you make it please? Also will you gonna have non Disney characters in Toontown Transit such as Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Droopy, Betty Boop, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Felix the Cat, etc..? Here is concept video from Disney MGM Studios at WDW in 1991: (Go to 3:06 to 5:27):

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Can't wait to see ride script of Toontown Transit (Roger Rabbit simulator ride) looks like @DisneyManOne can you make it please?
I know pretty much next to nothing about Toontown Transit apart from the basic storyline. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Now that I've got those little asides out of the way, let us resume our tour of the park.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Animation Courtyard

12916356_940487339400073_3928770764356671263_o-1024x683.jpg

What would Disney be without animation? Ever since Walt Disney was a child, he was fascinated with the possibilities that animation provided. He worked hard to make sure animation was at the forefront of his film business enterprise. Plus, animation is a versatile way of filmmaking, with a storied history and a fascinating process from first sketch to finished product. Truly, animation remains part and parcel of the history of The Walt Disney Company, so it’s only natural in this Disney park themed around movies to have an area devoted to this noble craft.

We enter Animation Courtyard from the central hub of Hollywood Boulevard, just off of the Hollywoodland Hills. The archway that used to serve as the entrance into the courtyard has been removed. Just beyond the entrance, we find a lush and elegant cul-de-sac, perfect for representing one of Hollywood’s finest art forms. The entire area has been refurbished to share the same feeling as the rest of the “Tribute to Hollywood” section of the park, with beautifully-detailed buildings and brightly-colored planters and trees. Jazzy, big band renditions of tunes from Disney and Pixar’s most famous animated films fill the air as we walk through this corner of the park. Among the notable features of the skyline of Animation Courtyard is the top of the Earffel Tower, the icon of Disney’s Hollywoodland. It’s basically a giant water tower topped with the iconic mouse ears.

mmrrhdr1116-1024x576.jpg

Along the left-hand side of the courtyard, nestled in the shadow of the Hollywoodland Hills, is an old studio soundstage, straight from the Golden Age of Hollywood. This is where Mickey Mouse and the gang film all their shorts. In fact, their most recent short is just about to be released, and we are given the chance to be the first ones to see it! It’s a little number called “Perfect Picnic”, in which Mickey, Minnie and Pluto are on their way to have a...well, you-know-what. And even better -- Goofy’s coming, too, only he’s coming in his train! But of course, Goofy, being, well, Goofy, ends up careening his train out of control...and bringing us into the screen! Hopping aboard Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, we embark on a wild ride through the anarchic, crazy world of a cartoon.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, which opened on March 4, 2020, takes up the space formerly held by two attractions. First was The Making of… , an experience that offered behind-the-scenes looks at the latest Disney films. The first iteration of The Making of… was The Lion King in 1994, and by the time the experience closed on August 13, 2017, the exhibit was themed to the live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast.

Then, there was the Animation Courtyard Theater, most famous for playing host to Voyage of the Little Mermaid from 1992 to 1997. Then, after sitting dormant for almost two years, the theater reopened, now playing host to The Tarzan Encounter, a live show re-telling the story of Disney’s 1999 animated film through music and dance. This later closed in 2009 in favor of Villains Tonight!, a Disney Cruise Line show which opened in 2010 to rave reviews and stayed in the theater until its closure on August 13, 2017.

bfcc6489f3721109105ff628ce25a7db.jpg

When Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989, one of the many restaurants on property was the Soundstage Restaurant, held within Soundstage 5. Although it opened as a buffet-style restaurant themed around the Bette Midler/Lily Tomlin comedy Big Business, it is best known as a counter-service restaurant that featured “sets” from various Disney films, like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. It also held character dining and an exclusive bar overlooking the whole thing.

However, in 2004, when the Animator’s Palate was announced to open alongside the new Disney Animation building, it was decided to turn the former Soundstage Restaurant into the new Soundstage Theater. Utilizing the unique thrust-stage style (three areas of seating surrounding a stage jutting out in the middle), the Soundstage Theater has been the home of quite a few shows. For the first twelve years of its existence, the Soundstage Theater played host to Fantasia: A Musical Spectacular, a unique show blending music, dance and projections. The old catwalk was even used for the performers! Then, once it was announced that Fantasia would be getting its own attraction as part of Port Disney, a new show was introduced to avoid redundancy.

197-700x350.jpg

Soundstage 5 now serves as the home for one of the most breathtaking spectacles in all of Walt Disney World: Dumbo: Live on Stage. Inspired by the 1941 Disney classic, this stage show -- which opened in 2018 -- makes use of every style of Disney park stagecraft to bring the story of that famous little elephant to life. Elaborate and expressive puppets are used to bring the animal characters to life. For example, the show starts with an army of puppeteers running through the audience waving giant kites that resemble storks, and the adult elephants (the four gossipy elephants and Mrs. Jumbo) are all giant puppets operated and voiced by live performers. Not only that, projections bring to life the world of the circus, mist simulates the feeling of being in the clouds, a life-size Casey Jr. train is involved, and special lighting adds a flair of circus-style whimsy to the whole show.

Oh, and I should also point out that the infamous “Pink Elephants on Parade” sequence may be one of the most elaborate sequences ever choreographed for a Disney theme park production. Plus, I should point out that the crows will be part of this (stereotypes they may be, they still play a major part in helping Dumbo fly in the end), but great lengths will be taken in both script and performance to ensure that they do not come off as black stereotypes.

Ever since its premiere, Dumbo: Live on Stage has been hailed as one of the greatest shows in the history of the Walt Disney World Resort. It really is quite exhilarating to be able to see Dumbo fly right before your eyes! In fact, one can actually meet Dumbo and Timothy in their own meet ‘n’ greet area right by the theater!

Ani%2Bent.JPG

Right in the center of Animation Courtyard, a beautiful Art-Deco building invites you to explore the ever-fascinating world of Disney Animation. When the park first opened, one of the main points of interest was The Magic of Disney Animation, where guests could see real animators at work on the latest Disney movie. In fact, three of the films in the Disney canon -- Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear -- were primarily produced here at the park! But then, once 2D animation was briefly shut down in 2004, the animators worked at Florida no more.

However, the executives did not want to see animation representation completely snuffed out. Thus, it was decided to destroy the old building and build an exact clone of the Animation Building from the Hollywoodland area of Disneyland in its place. The new Disney Animation experience opened on May 4, 2005, as part of the Happiest Homecoming on Earth.

drawn3.jpg

There’s so much to see and do at Disney Animation, but first, let’s talk about something that happens outside the building. At certain points throughout the day, three animators take their craft to the streets of Animation Courtyard and invite guests to be Drawn to the Magic. In this show, we join three animators as they invite guests to see how they get inspiration for their drawings; each one focusing on a certain kind of character--heroes, princesses and magical friends. Three volunteers are even brought up to help them out by posing a certain way. Then, after a medley of songs from the Disney films, the sketches they've been working on are revealed, and in a true bit of magic, the character they've sketched appears before our very eyes! After the show, guests are even invited to meet the characters inside the Disney Animation building’s lobby or right outside nearby the animators’ easels -- a perfect photo-op if you ask me!

And by the way, the three characters in the show are as follows: Representing the heroes, Woody. Representing the princesses, Cinderella. And representing the magical friends, who else but Sorcerer Mickey. In addition, other heroes and princesses have been known to drop in one occasion, if Woody and Cinderella can’t make it to a particular performance. So, for the heroes, Hercules and Peter Pan are on stand-by; and for the princesses, Snow White and Belle are on stand-by.

aoa-screens.jpg

Entering the building, we pass by a curved wall in which “Once upon a time…” is inscribed in gold lettering. Once inside the well-sized building, we are greeted by the breathtaking Animation Lobby. Inside this gorgeous place, a number of gargantuan screens convey the clips, music, stills and sketches of the Disney Animated Canon and the Pixar Canon. The films date back from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Peter Pan, all the way up to current films like Tangled and Zootopia. The loop here at Disney’s Hollywoodland combines both the old (pre-2011) and new (post-2011) loops found at the Disney Animation building at Disneyland, with a few new additions added, as well. Here’s a brief overview of what this loop would feature, listing the films that will appear, and the music that will play underneath each film…
  • The Little Mermaid (“Part of Your World”)
  • Beauty and the Beast (“Belle”)
  • Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (“The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”)
  • Bambi (“Little April Shower”)
  • Finding Nemo (“Fronds Like These”)
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (“The Silly Song” / The Evil Queen’s transformation)
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire (“The Crystal Chamber”)
  • WALL-E (“Define Dancing”)
  • The Incredibles (“The Incredits”)
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (“Winnie the Pooh” / “The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers” --the latter segment largely inspired by this video.)
  • The Jungle Book (“The Bare Necessities”)
  • Toy Story tetralogy (“You’ve Got a Friend in Me”)
  • Cinderella (“A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes”)
  • Hercules (“Go the Distance (Reprise)”)
  • Monsters, Inc. (“The Scare Floor”)
  • Ratatouille (“La Festin”)
  • Zootopia (“Try Everything”)
  • Lilo & Stitch (“Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride”)
  • Tarzan (“Two Worlds (Reprise)” -- instrumental)
  • Inside Out (“Dream Productions” / “Bundle of Joy”)
  • Coco (“Un Poco Loco”)
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (“The Bells of Notre Dame (Reprise)” -- instrumental)
  • Alice in Wonderland (“The Unbirthday Song”)
  • The Emperor’s New Groove (“Perfect World”)
  • Up (“Married Life”)
  • Lady and the Tramp (“Sunday/The Rat/Morning Paper” / “He’s a Tramp”)
  • Tangled (“I See the Light”)
  • Dumbo (“Casey Junior” / “Baby Mine”)
  • The Lion King (“King of Pride Rock”)
  • Frozen (“Let it Go”)
  • Moana (“We Know the Way (Finale)”)
  • Soul (“Born to Play”)
  • Pocahontas (“Colors of the Wind”)
  • Sleeping Beauty (“Once Upon a Dream”)
  • Aladdin (“A Whole New World”)
  • Peter Pan (“The Second Star to the Right”)
  • Pinocchio / Finale Montage (“When You Wish Upon a Star”)
This indoor courtyard is our “hub” for the varied wings of the sprawling exhibition. There are five major components of the Disney Animation building, and we shall explore them, going from left to right.

animation-experience-june-2019.jpg

First, directly on our left, is the Animation Academy. In this magical classroom, learn to draw a beloved Disney character with a hands-on lesson from a Disney artist. This auditorium also serves as a place for special events, such as animation demonstrations and live discussions with prominent animators.

17826_1.jpg

Right next door to the Animation Academy is Character Close-Up. What Disney animation exhibit wouldn’t be complete without the chance to meet a beloved Disney character? Well, there are so many beloved characters from Walt Disney Animation Studios, it’s impossible to decide which ones to have meeting guests here. What to do? Randomize, of course!

In this colorful meet-and-greet, you’ll get the chance to meet up with four randomized characters representing four time periods:

• The Golden Age (1930s/1940s), involving characters from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi and The Three Caballeros.
  • The Silver Age (1950s/1960s/1970s), involving characters from Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and The Rescuers.
  • The Renaissance (1980s/1990s), involving characters from The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan.
  • The New Millennium (2000s/2010s), involving characters from The Emperor’s New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana.
Every morning, a different movie from each time period is selected by a computer, and one or two characters from the film in question are scheduled for an all-day meet ‘n’ greet in the space, providing an experience that always proves to be different.

Linking all these separate time periods together are unique walls with projections on them. Behind each character is a specific projection area. In a style similar to
what is seen in this video, the world of the character is sketched out right before our eyes and filled in with color (for example, Snow White would have the Dwarfs’ Cottage; Moana would have Motonui; Elsa would have either her ice palace or the Enchanted Forest). This adds for a nice visual for our meet-and-greets, almost as if we are stepping right into an animated world. Surrounding all these screens are more projections. As we wait for our turn to meet these beloved characters, pixie dust darts across the walls (via fiber optics) and familiar Disney characters are drawn before our eyes, also in the style of the video linked above.

sorcerers-workshop-9056.jpg

Then, there’s the Sorcerer’s Workshop, a collection of three exhibits each focusing on a different aspect of bringing an animated character to life: development, voice and appearance. In the Magic Mirror’s Realm, we can create simple animation via spinning “reels”, create our own virtual portraits and mosaics, piece together our own Silly Symphony short or create an adventurous and romantic plot to their own animated film. There are also interactive exhibits teach how the principles of persistence of vision trick the eye into believing that still images are in motion, the most notable exhibit being the mesmerizing Toy Story Zoetrope, a constantly-spinning optical illusion that brings to life several sculptures of characters from the film(s). The stone walls reveal many of our favorite characters arranged by theme: Fairies and Spirits, Heroes and Villains, Mentors and Warriors.

eee43549705fc093d9d8e9e1abdf3303.jpg

The wise, talking portrait of the Magic Mirror points the path into Ursula’s Grotto, the eerie but humble abode of Ursula the Sea Witch. Rather than stealing our voice for her own benefit, Ursula allows us to do a bit of voiceover work, re-recording our own voices over classic scenes and songs from Disney animation.

13284998445_f8aa2e5c35_c.jpg

The adjoint Beast’s Library allows us to find our “Disney” self in a humorous quiz with Lumiere and Cogsworth. One of the most beautiful areas in the entire park, the Beast’s Library seems to stretch into the heavens, often falling into a state of disrepair before the displayed rose is restored and beauty and magic brighten the chamber.

c70e83c91ca955edab9f0bb3aef9bde5.png

An element from the original Magic of Disney Animation, Back to Neverland is a classic film starring Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams, who gets transformed into a Lost Boy and fights alongside Captain Hook, in a demonstration of how hand-drawn animated films are made. In 2011, a sequel -- “Back Again to Neverland” -- was created to play after the original, once again starring Robin Williams, but this time, narrated by Whoopi Goldberg and focusing on CGI animation. The film ends with a discussion from prominent animators and directors of Disney and Pixar, discussing what animation means to them, culminating in a moving montage featuring a highlight of clips from every film in the Disney Animated Canon, all set to a dramatic score of some of the best music from these movies.

6957043107_87f1bf9cfc_b.jpg

Ah, but that’s not all you can find here in the Animation Building. After all, I did say there were five components here. The holding area for Back to Neverland also contains a pathway that leads to that popular addition from the Disney Cruise Line: Animator’s Palate. Here, guests enter into a dining room that is completely black and white. Throughout the course of the table-service meal, the paintings of various Disney characters along the walls are magically transformed into color. The meal ends with a film highlighting great moments from Disney animated classics and then the entire room bursts into an array of colors, with even the servers’ costumes changing from black and white to color. Even after the Cruise Line Animator’s Palate got a massive refurbishment, this one remained the same, and it still does. The Disney’s Hollywoodland Animator’s Palate is the only one that still offers the complete 1998 experience.

As a nod to the original Animation Courtyard restaurant -- the Soundstage Restaurant -- character meals are still offered here. Although five characters appear throughout the meal, don’t expect to see the same ones each time you come here. Animator’s Palate makes use of a rotating cast of characters: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Aurora, Winnie the Pooh, Ariel, Belle and the Beast, Aladdin, Woody, Buzz, Hercules, Tiana and Rapunzel. And tying in with the restaurant’s theme, their costumes get a similar color-changing makeover.

When it comes time to leave, you head out past a wall similar to the one we passed when we entered, this time reading “...and they lived happily ever after.” Disney Animation exits out into the Off the Page store, which showcases merchandise from several classic animated Disney films.

And to end our time in Animation Courtyard, here’s a map of what the area looks like.

Animation Courtyard.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And there we have it! Animation Courtyard is my personal favorite area of this park, so it was a lot of fun bringing it to life for Mirror Walt Disney World. And I should point out: the concept for "Back Again to Neverland" came from @MANEATINGWREATH, so credit to him for that!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom