Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0 – The Definitive Version

cdunlap

That's it. The Black Cauldron dark ride will be amazing for MK, the ride will might be scary as Snow White.
I think that it would be a spiritual successor to Snow White! I see it being built after the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour closes as a place to use the Horned King sequence!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Hello, everyone! I'm back! Remember how I said I've been considering doing a series of posts detailing how I would lay out Disney's Hollywood Studios had it existed in this "3.0" version of Mirror Walt Disney World? Well, with today marking 34 years since the park opened its gates for the first time, I figured now would be a good time to start sharing it with you all.

As previously mentioned, Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0 is established within the same universe as @MANEATINGWREATH’s Mirror Disneyland 2021: Final Draft; and takes place in an alternate timeline where Disney and Universal teamed up on a studios park for Disneyland Resort…and because of this, Disney-MGM Studios, or what we now call Disney’s Hollywood Studios, never came to be. But however, as I was working on Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0, I kept thinking back on Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and how I’d improve it. Admittedly, I am not too fond of my ideas for my original Mirror Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios, which I called “Disney’s Hollywoodland.” Looking back, it was too much at one time. Too many areas for my taste, and the layout would have not gelled well together. Hence, serving as an example of an alternate timeline within an alternate timeline, I decided to create this walk-through, showcasing how I would arrange Disney’s Hollywood Studios had it existed in Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0.

Plus, if you may recall back when I was doing the Animal Kingdom portion of this walk-through, MEW himself came back and expressed hope that he will resume work on his epic Mirror Disneyland project. Where does that factor in to this? Well, I really do think that this 3.0 version is the best version of MWDW I’ve done; and, as I have always done, I wanted it to be within the same universe as Mirror Disneyland. And if MEW does, indeed, resume work on Mirror Disneyland, who knows if Disney-Universal Studios will remain part of it? If not, then MGM Studios goes ahead, just like in real-life.

Regardless, if MEW ever resumes work on Mirror Disneyland; then I intend to do a “3.5” thread for MWDW; because I want very little to change regarding this project. It’s all going to depend on what changes come to Mirror Disneyland (and if I decide to add anything new that comes to the parks in the future).

With all that said, let's begin!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Disney’s Worlds of Color
An Alternate Take on Disney-MGM Studios

What makes the Disney parks work so well? I honestly believe the secret to its success is that it was created from the point-of-view of a filmmaker. At Disney parks, everything is a form of storytelling. Everything is crafted the way a film is crafted. Those movies we grew up watching come to life before our very eyes, and we get a chance to explore those celluloid worlds. It is in this spirit of the inspiring world of film-making that I welcome you to the third gate of Walt Disney World: Disney’s Worlds of Color.

Installed in 1984, two years after the opening of EPCOT Center, Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Frank Wells began a revitalization of the Disney name. During this time, many expansion ideas for EPCOT Center were being considered. But none captured Eisner’s imagination more than a pavilion centered around filmmaking, centered around The Great Movie Ride, a ride devoted to highlighting some of the greatest moments in the history of film. Eisner decided that such an attraction was too good for a simple pavilion, and instead, it should anchor a whole theme park! Thus, the same year, Eisner announced the arrival of a third theme park for Walt Disney World: Disney-MGM Studios, which opened to an excited public on May 1, 1989.

2rgSUmIMTTlixSaC1SuHMJgPo8sRuhQzrEpz3jhWaB5GsIJnMdca1_-aTYZrIzO6_jxfvxSLra8_jeZhGhsKUIlbNiZpHURdcInywxy-ISQ1b6tj8MMtY4B-cm_-lYsIy3pMim0H

“The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.”
– Michael D. Eisner, May, 1, 1989

A stroll down Hollywood Boulevard led the way to all sorts of various movie-making experiences, but the biggest draw was the Backstage Studio Tour, which consumed much of the 135-acre site, and anchored a number of satellite production facilities for films and television shows, a small backlot, and an animation studio used by Walt Disney Feature Animation. As the years went by, the park’s design and mission statement evolved. Like the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT before it, Disney-MGM Studios would only climb to greater heights, eventually downsizing the Studio Tour and “studio-like” attractions altogether for further flights of fantasy, as well as new “lands.” In fact, the more the park changed from showcasing how movies were made to immersing guests in the world of movies, the “Studios” name gradually became more and more outdated; and the name itself would come to be seen as incredibly lazy when MGM ended its contract with Disney, thus causing a rename to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Therefore, on May 1, 2019, the very day the park turned 30, the park received a new name: Disney’s Worlds of Color.

“To all who explore these worlds of adventure: welcome. Disney’s Worlds of Color celebrates the intrigue, romance, imagination, and optimism dreamed up by daring minds such as Walt Disney and those like him who forever changed – and were forever changed by – the magic of cinema. This unique world is a Hollywood that never was, and always will be; and is dedicated to the dreamers that it continues to inspire. May these lands born of imagination be a source of wonder for all.”
– Robert A. Iger, May 1, 2019

Disney’s Worlds of Color has eight lands to it: Hollywood Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1930s, a time when filmmaking was attracting people from all walks of life; Sunset Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1940s, the glitz and glamour of a bygone time; Walt Disney Studios, honoring the art of animation, and how animated films are made; Muppet Studios, inspired by the works of Jim Henson’s beloved Muppets; Avengers Campus, inspired by the world of superheroes, as seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; Toontown, the land Mickey, Oswald, Roger Rabbit and all their friends call home; and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, inspired by George Lucas’ legendary sci-fi series. Galaxy’s Edge and Toontown, being far more fantastical than the other realms of the park, are separated from the rest of the park by gates or other barriers, in order to fully immerse guests into their worlds.

When Disney’s Worlds of Color opened on May 1, 1989, it was dedicated in the spirit and fantasy of the Hollywood Dream. This is a reverent celebration of Hollywood – not as a place on a map, but as a state of mind. The notion of Hollywood is alive with sights, sounds, glamour, fame, adventure, and mystery. For that reason, you won’t see or hear the term “movie magic”, and you’d be hard-pressed to find studio-rig lighting. Hollywood is a place of enduring hope where stories come to life and viewers escape into impossible worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. That describes Disney’s Worlds of Color pretty well, too. This is a place where guests can step into the worlds of some of their favorite films, from old favorites to modern-day offerings. You can even learn how to operate a puppet just like Jim Henson or see first-hand how your favorite animated features are created.

With all that said, are you ready? Well, as they say in the movie biz: “Lights, camera, action!”

Hollywood Boulevard

Entrance-Disney-MGM-Studios-1989.jpg

Imagine...it’s another wonderful morning in Florida. The morning sun is turning the sky a bright blue as Walt Disney World rises to greet the new day. Whether you arrive via PeopleMover, boat, Skyliner or car, all paths lead to the entrance of Disney’s Worlds of Color. The park’s entrance plaza hugs the edge of Crescent Lake. Among the notable features of the skyline of the park entrance is the top of the Earffel Tower, the icon of the park, which sits right on the edge of the lake. It’s basically a giant water tower topped with the iconic mouse ears. The wide pathways lead to a replica of the soaring, teal Pan-Pacific Gates. The gates are modeled after the iconic entrance to Los Angeles’ loved-and-lost Pan-Pacific Auditorium. With a triumphant swell of music, the park is open! Eager are we, ready to explore the world where movies come to life. A world of excitement is just waiting for us.

Passing under the gates, guests enter not into a film set or a studio backlot, but into Hollywood in the 1930s. This is the Hollywood of Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This is a town that once took the heart of a young Walt Disney. The automobile has made way for the Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway. The shimmer of neon and bustle of traffic have built a fairy-land from a suitcase and a dream, “where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan.” Here, one can go out and try their luck, and most certainly meet Donald Duck. Here, in the year 1937, the stress of our contemporary life fades for a glimpse into a warm embodiment of the “Hollywood that Never Was.” The shimmer of neon and triumph of a dream set our stage for this reverent tribute to the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

Hollywood-Boulevard-Disney-1989.jpg

In the principle of Main Street, U.S.A. over at the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Boulevard is a sparkling thoroughfare presented in the style and architecture of one historic Hollywood building after the next. The use of Art Deco instills in us a sense of familiarity with a hint of intrigue. The reality of the Great Depression has subdued into the color and excitement of a cinematic Tinseltown. Trolley cables hang throughout the “skies”, while the Red Car Newsboys exclaim the “daily” headlines through song and dance aboard their trolley “stage”. Keystone cops patrol the streets in search of ne’er-do-wells, while an overly-flamboyant movie starlet canoodles her poodle to the adoration of her “fans”. The Citizens of Hollywood simply and thematically add to the immersive environment, all the while setting a period that is further established in Art Deco architecture and rooftop billboards representing fictional and nonfictional products of the 1930s and 40s. Big band beats fill the air, played in crisp, fresh orchestrations rather than crackling radio transmissions. At the center of this entrance plaza is the Crossroads of the World, a clone of the California icon, with Mickey Mouse atop a spinning globe. The location operates as an information station for the rest of the park. Just within the entrance to the park, guests will also find the Movieland Memorabilia shop, which sells generic WoC and Los Angeles merchandise (a perfect place to do last-minute shopping at the park).

Located to the left of Crossroads of the World is Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Antique Shop, which offers signed autographed pictures and posters from celebrities from a huge variety of different movies. Bright light and the crackle of a phonograph welcome us to Oswald's Filling Station. There always seems to be a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front. Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, with the inventory following suit. Oswald himself often frequents the station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand. As with Oswald, on Hollywood Boulevard, we can “rub elbows” with the Disney stars of celluloid - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy - dressed in their Hollywood finest.

Disney-Stars-and-Motor-Cars-Parade.jpg;width=1200;height=630;mode=crop;scale=both;encoder=freeimage;quality=50;progressive=true

Speaking of cars, every day, the streets of Disney’s Worlds of Color play host to a very special procession. When the stars of Disney travel to a red-carpet Hollywood movie premiere, they don’t travel in boring, conventional limousines. They travel in cars that reflect who they are. That’s the premise of the Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade. For 25 minutes, you’ll be treated to a cavalcade of Disney stars and their customized cars. Some stars ride in the cars. Others walk alongside them, often interacting with guests.

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored by the lavish Mickey’s of Hollywood, the largest mercantile in the entire park, basically this park’s equivalent to the Magic Kingdom’s Emporium or EPCOT’s World Bridge Mercantile. Mickey’s of Hollywood sells any and all things related to kid-friendly merchandise, from stuffed Mickeys to Disney character-themed clothing. The store also features large statues depicting the Big Cheese in some of his most iconic roles, including him as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Steamboat Willie and the conductor of “The Band Concert”. From here, guests will come across a small off-set to the left, which leads guests to Hollywood & Vine, a buffet style restaurant that is literally located on the corners of Hollywood & Vine. The interior of the restaurant is a quintessential depiction of 1930s Hollywoodland, featuring neon lights and California depictions of the city-scape. The buffet is open regularly for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with Disney Junior characters popping in for breakfast and lunch, and Minnie and her friends hosting dinner. Returning to the main stretch of Hollywood Boulevard, just past the path leading towards Hollywood & Vine, guests will then find the Keystone Clothiers store, which offers a wide variety of clothes and accessories. The interior of the shop is designed to look like an art-deco lounge in Los Angeles, California.

On the other side of the street, you'll find The Darkroom, a shop which features Kodak cameras and video items. This is also a shop for PhotoPass participants, where guests can see and buy their photos taken throughout the park that day. The outside of the shop takes an artistic style from “California Crazy” architecture, which is big, bold and well, crazy. The exterior of the shop is a large camera. The Darkroom than leads to the next store on Hollywood Boulevard, Cover Story. The store feature primarily plush toys and child clothes. Nearby that is Celebrity 5 & 10, which features a wide variety of Disney Studios merchandise, as well as general Walt Disney World merchandise. The shop also features item embroidery. Finally, there's Adrian & Edith’s Head to Toe. From Mickey ears to hand towels, this costume designer-inspired store offers distinctive clothing and keepsakes as well as embroidered towels, aprons and Christmas stockings. From here, the road then splits off to an intersection to the right, where the road then leads down the Sunset Boulevard strip. This is the location for the Trolley Car Café, a good place to get some Starbucks coffee (perfect for those who need that “java jive” to get them going early in the morning). On the opposite corner, surrounding a fountain, is Guest Relations. This is a great location to go to receive any information that you might need while visiting Hollywood.

From here, Hollywood Boulevard then proceeds to split off into the Grauman’s Chinese Theater Courtyard, a much needed expanded courtyard, surrounded with lush, green foliage and planted with lining palm trees. The surrounding area is lined with plains of grass, planted with bountiful trees, illuminated with twinkling LED lights.

wal118935LARGE.jpg

Disney’s Worlds of Color is anchored in the remarkable aspiration of a young man who left Kansas City for Los Angeles with big dreams - and little money. His ideas, drive and determination would one day change the world. That man was Walt Disney. Storytellers recalls the moment in which a young Walt and Mickey first laid foot in the City of Angels. The tribute of bronze and plaster has hidden itself among the foot-traffic of the Chinese Theater Courtyard, a subtle reminder that Walt was once such an everyday dreamer as ourselves. An adjacent plaque reads: “It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day the day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!” - Walt Disney

To the right of the courtyard, guests will find the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, a lavish restaurant modeled after the truly iconic location, located in the park just up the corner from the Hollywood & Vine streets. The restaurant is famously known for its Cobb Salad, which was apparently Sid Grauman’s favorite snack after he had undergone some dental work. The restaurant features wonderful meals, while completely re-inventing the iconic restaurant, which even includes the classic Bamboo Room, modeled after the VIP Space.

sbe003712LARGE.jpg

You know, they say the central plaza of Disney’s Worlds of Color looks a lot like Mickey Mouse. If that's the case, there’s one dead-ringer for the right ear: Echo Lake. On both sides of the lake are two eateries, making full use of the “California Crazy” architecture that was popular in the ‘30s. First is Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner, an open-air tramp steamer eatery that pays homage to the 1930 comedy Min and Bill. Serving specialty foot-long hot dogs, pulled pork sliders and delicious vegetarian options—as well as assorted beverages—it’s a perfect place to dock ‘n’ dine! Nearby, shipping crates provide homages to beloved films like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life, Gone with the Wind and The Producers. On the other side of the lake is Dinosaur Gertie’s Ice Cream of Extinction. Named after Windsor McCay's iconic Gertie the Dinosaur, this stand is the best place to get a cold treat on a hot day.

5ccb61205eadc.image.jpg

Well, we’ve been skirting around it long enough – let’s get to the shining star of Hollywood Boulevard: a life-size replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The Chinese Theatre is one of the most famous in all of Hollywood, a theater which has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. The theater has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres, including two Disney films: Mary Poppins in 1964 and The Jungle Book in 1967, souvenirs from which you can find in window displays. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. Outside of the theater, instrumental musical pieces from well-known movies play. The actual Chinese Theater in Los Angeles had been studied to be re-created and detailed in exact appearance here at Disney’s Hollywoodland. Not only was the exterior of the Theater created, but even the forecourt was created, having actual celebrity handprints and spurting fountains along the rim of the Theater. Having celebrities arrive to place their handprints has been a time-honored tradition of Disney’s Hollywoodland ever since Opening Day. Some of the first additions include Bob Hope, Alan Alda, Liza Minnelli and Danny DeVito, and some of the more modern additions include the likes of Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and Channing Tatum.

Great-Movie-Ride-1.jpg

Inside the theater, we can take The Great Movie Ride, a 25-minute guided dark ride through the history of cinema, cataloging and bringing to life some of the greatest stories ever told. Brimming with excitement, we enter the lavish movie palace and into a lobby filled with iconic props and posters of the silver screen; Dorothy’s ruby slippers, the Ark of the Covenant, Mary Poppins’ umbrella. An inspired collection of trailers and scenes of classic cinema lead to a soundstage held beneath the Hollywoodland Sign at twilight. Here we board a “traveling theater” for a guided, immersive tour through the world of cinematic history.

Narrated by film historian and longtime Disney collaborator Leonard Maltin, The Great Movie Ride employs the use of Audio-Animatronic figures, practical sets, live actors, projections and special effects in a 25-minute experience. Along the way, we pass screen legends in their most iconic roles; a tableau of film in a timeless snapshot, from one movie to the next. The finale, of course, brings all the films together in a moving montage of what else, but great movies… Such featured films include Casablanca, The Godfather, Singin’ in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. This is the signature attraction of not just Hollywood Boulevard, but of the park itself.

On the outskirts of the Chinese Theatre, a path leads towards the American Film Institute Showcase. For years, this silver screen museum served as the post-show for the Backlot Tour, but with the closure of that attraction in 2014, it was decided to have it fill the space held by the long-since-vacated Superstar Television Theater; to serve as a post-show space for The Great Movie Ride. In this museum of Hollywood history, we can take a gander at authentic movie props and costumes, and learn about some of Hollywood’s biggest stars from across the generations. A jukebox plays AFI's list of the 100 greatest songs from the movies. A script book on a table features their list of the 100 greatest lines from the movies. A separate wall even features the lists of the 50 greatest stars, 50 heroes and villains, 10 Top 10 and, of course, the 100 greatest movies.

GettyImages-514689398-1.jpg

If you need to take a brief respite from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood Boulevard, then take a quiet stroll through the Eastern Gardens. This is a tranquil and gorgeous garden nestled alongside the left side of the Chinese Theatre and into the Hollywoodland Hills, which serve as the street’s backdrop. Under the hill’s uneven letters reading HOLLYWOODLAND are the garden’s walking paths, bridges, streams, pagodas, and waterfalls that serve as a break from the ever-frantic pulse of Tinseltown.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The name "Disney's Worlds of Color" came from a top-to-bottom DHS refresh Park Lore on Twitter came up with; and the dedication was taken from an earlier DHS refresh he created in collaboration with S.W. Wilson of Ideal Buildout; and for more information on that, click on this link. And the idea to have the handprint ceremonies continue well on into the park's existence comes from an idea from a concept we had back on the Visions Fantastic forums of old, devised by @comics101, @Snoopy, as well as FutureImagineer and Monkey4057.

These posts will be coming on a more sporadic basis compared to the past. I'll work at my own pace, and that will mean less frequent postings, but I hope the end results is worth it. Plus, what better way to prepare for @Tegan pilots a chicken's "What if..." game than with my own "What if..." for MWDW? So, until the next post, I'll see you all later!

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hello, everyone! I'm back! Remember how I said I've been considering doing a series of posts detailing how I would lay out Disney's Hollywood Studios had it existed in this "3.0" version of Mirror Walt Disney World? Well, with today marking 34 years since the park opened its gates for the first time, I figured now would be a good time to start sharing it with you all.

As previously mentioned, Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0 is established within the same universe as @MANEATINGWREATH’s Mirror Disneyland 2021: Final Draft; and takes place in an alternate timeline where Disney and Universal teamed up on a studios park for Disneyland Resort…and because of this, Disney-MGM Studios, or what we now call Disney’s Hollywood Studios, never came to be. But however, as I was working on Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0, I kept thinking back on Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and how I’d improve it. Admittedly, I am not too fond of my ideas for my original Mirror Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios, which I called “Disney’s Hollywoodland.” Looking back, it was too much at one time. Too many areas for my taste, and the layout would have not gelled well together. Hence, serving as an example of an alternate timeline within an alternate timeline, I decided to create this walk-through, showcasing how I would arrange Disney’s Hollywood Studios had it existed in Mirror Walt Disney World 3.0.

Plus, if you may recall back when I was doing the Animal Kingdom portion of this walk-through, MEW himself came back and expressed hope that he will resume work on his epic Mirror Disneyland project. Where does that factor in to this? Well, I really do think that this 3.0 version is the best version of MWDW I’ve done; and, as I have always done, I wanted it to be within the same universe as Mirror Disneyland. And if MEW does, indeed, resume work on Mirror Disneyland, who knows if Disney-Universal Studios will remain part of it? If not, then MGM Studios goes ahead, just like in real-life.

Regardless, if MEW ever resumes work on Mirror Disneyland; then I intend to do a “3.5” thread for MWDW; because I want very little to change regarding this project. It’s all going to depend on what changes come to Mirror Disneyland (and if I decide to add anything new that comes to the parks in the future).

With all that said, let's begin!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Disney’s Worlds of Color
An Alternate Take on Disney-MGM Studios

What makes the Disney parks work so well? I honestly believe the secret to its success is that it was created from the point-of-view of a filmmaker. At Disney parks, everything is a form of storytelling. Everything is crafted the way a film is crafted. Those movies we grew up watching come to life before our very eyes, and we get a chance to explore those celluloid worlds. It is in this spirit of the inspiring world of film-making that I welcome you to the third gate of Walt Disney World: Disney’s Worlds of Color.

Installed in 1984, two years after the opening of EPCOT Center, Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Frank Wells began a revitalization of the Disney name. During this time, many expansion ideas for EPCOT Center were being considered. But none captured Eisner’s imagination more than a pavilion centered around filmmaking, centered around The Great Movie Ride, a ride devoted to highlighting some of the greatest moments in the history of film. Eisner decided that such an attraction was too good for a simple pavilion, and instead, it should anchor a whole theme park! Thus, the same year, Eisner announced the arrival of a third theme park for Walt Disney World: Disney-MGM Studios, which opened to an excited public on May 1, 1989.

2rgSUmIMTTlixSaC1SuHMJgPo8sRuhQzrEpz3jhWaB5GsIJnMdca1_-aTYZrIzO6_jxfvxSLra8_jeZhGhsKUIlbNiZpHURdcInywxy-ISQ1b6tj8MMtY4B-cm_-lYsIy3pMim0H

“The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.”
– Michael D. Eisner, May, 1, 1989

A stroll down Hollywood Boulevard led the way to all sorts of various movie-making experiences, but the biggest draw was the Backstage Studio Tour, which consumed much of the 135-acre site, and anchored a number of satellite production facilities for films and television shows, a small backlot, and an animation studio used by Walt Disney Feature Animation. As the years went by, the park’s design and mission statement evolved. Like the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT before it, Disney-MGM Studios would only climb to greater heights, eventually downsizing the Studio Tour and “studio-like” attractions altogether for further flights of fantasy, as well as new “lands.” In fact, the more the park changed from showcasing how movies were made to immersing guests in the world of movies, the “Studios” name gradually became more and more outdated; and the name itself would come to be seen as incredibly lazy when MGM ended its contract with Disney, thus causing a rename to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Therefore, on May 1, 2019, the very day the park turned 30, the park received a new name: Disney’s Worlds of Color.

“To all who explore these worlds of adventure: welcome. Disney’s Worlds of Color celebrates the intrigue, romance, imagination, and optimism dreamed up by daring minds such as Walt Disney and those like him who forever changed – and were forever changed by – the magic of cinema. This unique world is a Hollywood that never was, and always will be; and is dedicated to the dreamers that it continues to inspire. May these lands born of imagination be a source of wonder for all.”
– Robert A. Iger, May 1, 2019

Disney’s Worlds of Color has eight lands to it: Hollywood Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1930s, a time when filmmaking was attracting people from all walks of life; Sunset Boulevard, representing Hollywood in the 1940s, the glitz and glamour of a bygone time; Walt Disney Studios, honoring the art of animation, and how animated films are made; Muppet Studios, inspired by the works of Jim Henson’s beloved Muppets; Avengers Campus, inspired by the world of superheroes, as seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; Toontown, the land Mickey, Oswald, Roger Rabbit and all their friends call home; and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, inspired by George Lucas’ legendary sci-fi series. Galaxy’s Edge and Toontown, being far more fantastical than the other realms of the park, are separated from the rest of the park by gates or other barriers, in order to fully immerse guests into their worlds.

When Disney’s Worlds of Color opened on May 1, 1989, it was dedicated in the spirit and fantasy of the Hollywood Dream. This is a reverent celebration of Hollywood – not as a place on a map, but as a state of mind. The notion of Hollywood is alive with sights, sounds, glamour, fame, adventure, and mystery. For that reason, you won’t see or hear the term “movie magic”, and you’d be hard-pressed to find studio-rig lighting. Hollywood is a place of enduring hope where stories come to life and viewers escape into impossible worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. That describes Disney’s Worlds of Color pretty well, too. This is a place where guests can step into the worlds of some of their favorite films, from old favorites to modern-day offerings. You can even learn how to operate a puppet just like Jim Henson or see first-hand how your favorite animated features are created.

With all that said, are you ready? Well, as they say in the movie biz: “Lights, camera, action!”

Hollywood Boulevard

Entrance-Disney-MGM-Studios-1989.jpg

Imagine...it’s another wonderful morning in Florida. The morning sun is turning the sky a bright blue as Walt Disney World rises to greet the new day. Whether you arrive via PeopleMover, boat, Skyliner or car, all paths lead to the entrance of Disney’s Worlds of Color. The park’s entrance plaza hugs the edge of Crescent Lake. Among the notable features of the skyline of the park entrance is the top of the Earffel Tower, the icon of the park, which sits right on the edge of the lake. It’s basically a giant water tower topped with the iconic mouse ears. The wide pathways lead to a replica of the soaring, teal Pan-Pacific Gates. The gates are modeled after the iconic entrance to Los Angeles’ loved-and-lost Pan-Pacific Auditorium. With a triumphant swell of music, the park is open! Eager are we, ready to explore the world where movies come to life. A world of excitement is just waiting for us.

Passing under the gates, guests enter not into a film set or a studio backlot, but into Hollywood in the 1930s. This is the Hollywood of Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This is a town that once took the heart of a young Walt Disney. The automobile has made way for the Red Car of the Pacific Electric Railway. The shimmer of neon and bustle of traffic have built a fairy-land from a suitcase and a dream, “where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan.” Here, one can go out and try their luck, and most certainly meet Donald Duck. Here, in the year 1937, the stress of our contemporary life fades for a glimpse into a warm embodiment of the “Hollywood that Never Was.” The shimmer of neon and triumph of a dream set our stage for this reverent tribute to the romance, glamour and sentimentality of the silver screen.

Hollywood-Boulevard-Disney-1989.jpg

In the principle of Main Street, U.S.A. over at the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Boulevard is a sparkling thoroughfare presented in the style and architecture of one historic Hollywood building after the next. The use of Art Deco instills in us a sense of familiarity with a hint of intrigue. The reality of the Great Depression has subdued into the color and excitement of a cinematic Tinseltown. Trolley cables hang throughout the “skies”, while the Red Car Newsboys exclaim the “daily” headlines through song and dance aboard their trolley “stage”. Keystone cops patrol the streets in search of ne’er-do-wells, while an overly-flamboyant movie starlet canoodles her poodle to the adoration of her “fans”. The Citizens of Hollywood simply and thematically add to the immersive environment, all the while setting a period that is further established in Art Deco architecture and rooftop billboards representing fictional and nonfictional products of the 1930s and 40s. Big band beats fill the air, played in crisp, fresh orchestrations rather than crackling radio transmissions. At the center of this entrance plaza is the Crossroads of the World, a clone of the California icon, with Mickey Mouse atop a spinning globe. The location operates as an information station for the rest of the park. Just within the entrance to the park, guests will also find the Movieland Memorabilia shop, which sells generic WoC and Los Angeles merchandise (a perfect place to do last-minute shopping at the park).

Located to the left of Crossroads of the World is Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind Antique Shop, which offers signed autographed pictures and posters from celebrities from a huge variety of different movies. Bright light and the crackle of a phonograph welcome us to Oswald's Filling Station. There always seems to be a ‘40 Pontiac Torpedo Coupe out front. Oswald’s is decked “ear-to-toe” in memorabilia of American Car Culture, with the inventory following suit. Oswald himself often frequents the station in full mechanic attire, a rabbit-shaped wrench at hand. As with Oswald, on Hollywood Boulevard, we can “rub elbows” with the Disney stars of celluloid - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy - dressed in their Hollywood finest.

Disney-Stars-and-Motor-Cars-Parade.jpg;width=1200;height=630;mode=crop;scale=both;encoder=freeimage;quality=50;progressive=true

Speaking of cars, every day, the streets of Disney’s Worlds of Color play host to a very special procession. When the stars of Disney travel to a red-carpet Hollywood movie premiere, they don’t travel in boring, conventional limousines. They travel in cars that reflect who they are. That’s the premise of the Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade. For 25 minutes, you’ll be treated to a cavalcade of Disney stars and their customized cars. Some stars ride in the cars. Others walk alongside them, often interacting with guests.

Hollywood Boulevard is anchored by the lavish Mickey’s of Hollywood, the largest mercantile in the entire park, basically this park’s equivalent to the Magic Kingdom’s Emporium or EPCOT’s World Bridge Mercantile. Mickey’s of Hollywood sells any and all things related to kid-friendly merchandise, from stuffed Mickeys to Disney character-themed clothing. The store also features large statues depicting the Big Cheese in some of his most iconic roles, including him as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Steamboat Willie and the conductor of “The Band Concert”. From here, guests will come across a small off-set to the left, which leads guests to Hollywood & Vine, a buffet style restaurant that is literally located on the corners of Hollywood & Vine. The interior of the restaurant is a quintessential depiction of 1930s Hollywoodland, featuring neon lights and California depictions of the city-scape. The buffet is open regularly for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with Disney Junior characters popping in for breakfast and lunch, and Minnie and her friends hosting dinner. Returning to the main stretch of Hollywood Boulevard, just past the path leading towards Hollywood & Vine, guests will then find the Keystone Clothiers store, which offers a wide variety of clothes and accessories. The interior of the shop is designed to look like an art-deco lounge in Los Angeles, California.

On the other side of the street, you'll find The Darkroom, a shop which features Kodak cameras and video items. This is also a shop for PhotoPass participants, where guests can see and buy their photos taken throughout the park that day. The outside of the shop takes an artistic style from “California Crazy” architecture, which is big, bold and well, crazy. The exterior of the shop is a large camera. The Darkroom than leads to the next store on Hollywood Boulevard, Cover Story. The store feature primarily plush toys and child clothes. Nearby that is Celebrity 5 & 10, which features a wide variety of Disney Studios merchandise, as well as general Walt Disney World merchandise. The shop also features item embroidery. Finally, there's Adrian & Edith’s Head to Toe. From Mickey ears to hand towels, this costume designer-inspired store offers distinctive clothing and keepsakes as well as embroidered towels, aprons and Christmas stockings. From here, the road then splits off to an intersection to the right, where the road then leads down the Sunset Boulevard strip. This is the location for the Trolley Car Café, a good place to get some Starbucks coffee (perfect for those who need that “java jive” to get them going early in the morning). On the opposite corner, surrounding a fountain, is Guest Relations. This is a great location to go to receive any information that you might need while visiting Hollywood.

From here, Hollywood Boulevard then proceeds to split off into the Grauman’s Chinese Theater Courtyard, a much needed expanded courtyard, surrounded with lush, green foliage and planted with lining palm trees. The surrounding area is lined with plains of grass, planted with bountiful trees, illuminated with twinkling LED lights.

wal118935LARGE.jpg

Disney’s Worlds of Color is anchored in the remarkable aspiration of a young man who left Kansas City for Los Angeles with big dreams - and little money. His ideas, drive and determination would one day change the world. That man was Walt Disney. Storytellers recalls the moment in which a young Walt and Mickey first laid foot in the City of Angels. The tribute of bronze and plaster has hidden itself among the foot-traffic of the Chinese Theater Courtyard, a subtle reminder that Walt was once such an everyday dreamer as ourselves. An adjacent plaque reads: “It was July 1923. I packed all of my worldly goods - a pair of trousers, a checkered coat, a lot of drawing materials and the last of the fairy tale reels we had made - in a kind of frayed cardboard suitcase. And with that wonderful audacity of youth, I went to Hollywood, arriving there with just forty dollars. It was a big day the day I got on that Santa Fe California Limited. I was just free and happy!” - Walt Disney

To the right of the courtyard, guests will find the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, a lavish restaurant modeled after the truly iconic location, located in the park just up the corner from the Hollywood & Vine streets. The restaurant is famously known for its Cobb Salad, which was apparently Sid Grauman’s favorite snack after he had undergone some dental work. The restaurant features wonderful meals, while completely re-inventing the iconic restaurant, which even includes the classic Bamboo Room, modeled after the VIP Space.

sbe003712LARGE.jpg

You know, they say the central plaza of Disney’s Worlds of Color looks a lot like Mickey Mouse. If that's the case, there’s one dead-ringer for the right ear: Echo Lake. On both sides of the lake are two eateries, making full use of the “California Crazy” architecture that was popular in the ‘30s. First is Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner, an open-air tramp steamer eatery that pays homage to the 1930 comedy Min and Bill. Serving specialty foot-long hot dogs, pulled pork sliders and delicious vegetarian options—as well as assorted beverages—it’s a perfect place to dock ‘n’ dine! Nearby, shipping crates provide homages to beloved films like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life, Gone with the Wind and The Producers. On the other side of the lake is Dinosaur Gertie’s Ice Cream of Extinction. Named after Windsor McCay's iconic Gertie the Dinosaur, this stand is the best place to get a cold treat on a hot day.

5ccb61205eadc.image.jpg

Well, we’ve been skirting around it long enough – let’s get to the shining star of Hollywood Boulevard: a life-size replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The Chinese Theatre is one of the most famous in all of Hollywood, a theater which has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. The theater has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres, including two Disney films: Mary Poppins in 1964 and The Jungle Book in 1967, souvenirs from which you can find in window displays. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. Outside of the theater, instrumental musical pieces from well-known movies play. The actual Chinese Theater in Los Angeles had been studied to be re-created and detailed in exact appearance here at Disney’s Hollywoodland. Not only was the exterior of the Theater created, but even the forecourt was created, having actual celebrity handprints and spurting fountains along the rim of the Theater. Having celebrities arrive to place their handprints has been a time-honored tradition of Disney’s Hollywoodland ever since Opening Day. Some of the first additions include Bob Hope, Alan Alda, Liza Minnelli and Danny DeVito, and some of the more modern additions include the likes of Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and Channing Tatum.

Great-Movie-Ride-1.jpg

Inside the theater, we can take The Great Movie Ride, a 25-minute guided dark ride through the history of cinema, cataloging and bringing to life some of the greatest stories ever told. Brimming with excitement, we enter the lavish movie palace and into a lobby filled with iconic props and posters of the silver screen; Dorothy’s ruby slippers, the Ark of the Covenant, Mary Poppins’ umbrella. An inspired collection of trailers and scenes of classic cinema lead to a soundstage held beneath the Hollywoodland Sign at twilight. Here we board a “traveling theater” for a guided, immersive tour through the world of cinematic history.

Narrated by film historian and longtime Disney collaborator Leonard Maltin, The Great Movie Ride employs the use of Audio-Animatronic figures, practical sets, live actors, projections and special effects in a 25-minute experience. Along the way, we pass screen legends in their most iconic roles; a tableau of film in a timeless snapshot, from one movie to the next. The finale, of course, brings all the films together in a moving montage of what else, but great movies… Such featured films include Casablanca, The Godfather, Singin’ in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz. This is the signature attraction of not just Hollywood Boulevard, but of the park itself.

On the outskirts of the Chinese Theatre, a path leads towards the American Film Institute Showcase. For years, this silver screen museum served as the post-show for the Backlot Tour, but with the closure of that attraction in 2014, it was decided to have it fill the space held by the long-since-vacated Superstar Television Theater; to serve as a post-show space for The Great Movie Ride. In this museum of Hollywood history, we can take a gander at authentic movie props and costumes, and learn about some of Hollywood’s biggest stars from across the generations. A jukebox plays AFI's list of the 100 greatest songs from the movies. A script book on a table features their list of the 100 greatest lines from the movies. A separate wall even features the lists of the 50 greatest stars, 50 heroes and villains, 10 Top 10 and, of course, the 100 greatest movies.

GettyImages-514689398-1.jpg

If you need to take a brief respite from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood Boulevard, then take a quiet stroll through the Eastern Gardens. This is a tranquil and gorgeous garden nestled alongside the left side of the Chinese Theatre and into the Hollywoodland Hills, which serve as the street’s backdrop. Under the hill’s uneven letters reading HOLLYWOODLAND are the garden’s walking paths, bridges, streams, pagodas, and waterfalls that serve as a break from the ever-frantic pulse of Tinseltown.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The name "Disney's Worlds of Color" came from a top-to-bottom DHS refresh Park Lore on Twitter came up with; and the dedication was taken from an earlier DHS refresh he created in collaboration with S.W. Wilson of Ideal Buildout; and for more information on that, click on this link. And the idea to have the handprint ceremonies continue well on into the park's existence comes from an idea from a concept we had back on the Visions Fantastic forums of old, devised by @comics101, @Snoopy, as well as FutureImagineer and Monkey4057.

These posts will be coming on a more sporadic basis compared to the past. I'll work at my own pace, and that will mean less frequent postings, but I hope the end results is worth it. Plus, what better way to prepare for @Tegan pilots a chicken's "What if..." game than with my own "What if..." for MWDW? So, until the next post, I'll see you all later!

I guess Toontown will have two Roger Rabbit attractions: Roger Rabbit's Runaway Trolley and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I guess Toontown will have two Roger Rabbit attractions: Roger Rabbit's Runaway Trolley and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.
Nope, just one -- Car Toon Spin.

Anyways, let's move on, shall we? Even though today is May 4th, I won't be covering Galaxy's Edge. Instead, we'll be strolling to the right of Hollywood Boulevard and stepping down...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sunset Boulevard

10-BLF7209630-Edit.jpg

Sunset Boulevard takes guests back to a different side of Hollywood, as well as the different sides of the entertainment industry. Just off of the Hollywood Brown Derby, guests will find the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard, a reminiscent take on a classic 40s-era Hollywood street. The street is very similar to Hollywood Boulevard, as it is filled with shops and eateries, stretching into the eastern-most part of the park. Sunset Boulevard is definitely a place filled with excitement, charm, thrills, all while keeping the classic Golden Age of Hollywood intact. The buildings that form the exteriors of Sunset Boulevard are meant to portray a theater district in California, for both cinemas and live theater performances. The exteriors feature grand ornamentation and close attention to detail to provide a powerful experience throughout the area. Some of the buildings are topped with billboards, showcasing the innovations and entertainment that were all the rage over seven decades ago. The area features more stylistic designs to the architecture, as opposed to Hollywood Boulevard. Sunset Boulevard is inspired by the reviving architecture that was starting to be re-used in California during the decade, showcasing the many different ornate and intricate building designs. The boulevard curves slightly, as lined palm trees align the way to the back of the boulevard, where the tall, inactive Hollywood Tower Hotel rests. The Red Car Trolley makes its way down Sunset Boulevard, passing the hotel and heading on past the Mercury Radio Station.

On the left side of the street, guests will find the Beverly Hills Theater, the home of Sweet Spells, a sweet confectionery, including elements of the Disney Villains, as portraits of Disney Villains hang from the walls of the sweet candy store. In the windows of the store, guests will find figures of the Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. Connected to Sweet Spells is Villains in Vogue, your one-stop shop for all things evil!

Just across the street, guests will find Legends of Hollywood, found inside of the exterior of the Academy Theater. The location features generic Disney’s Worlds of Color merchandise, as well as a selection of Disney jewelry and watches, including limited edition pieces. Nearby, you’ll find Mouse About Town, filling the space left when the Planet Hollywood store closed in 2019. Mouse About Town is a quite fashionable shop. This is the place for men's apparel and golf accessories. The store is themed with a golf club motif so if you need a polo shirt with Mickey on it, this is the place.

7613220080_32af377ebf_b.jpg

At the end of the street, guests will find the historic Carthay Circle Theatre. This detailed re-creation of the now-defunct movie house is a true testament to the glamour and romance of the Golden Age. Among more Disney fans, this place is practically legendary, because in 1937, this theater is where Walt Disney risked the future of his still-young animation studio and premiered the world’s first feature-length animated film. Stepping inside the theater, we are whisked into the world of that immortal film: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

1200x0.jpg

An all-new version of Disneyland’s Snow White’s Enchanted Wish, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs takes us aboard a mine cart named for one of the Dwarfs and into a masterpiece in carnival “spook house” dark rides. A breathtaking, three-dimensional mural and diorama of the Seven Dwarfs’ Cottage and the “Enchanted Forest” prelude the beauty, grandeur and magic of this cornerstone of the animation industry. Once inside our mine cart, we are in store for a harrowing adventure through the film's most iconic moments -- the whimsical and the dark, the funny and the scary, and everything in-between. Of course, Snow White does receive her “Happily Ever After”, though the same could not be said for the fate of the Wicked Witch…

mgm+10.jpg

Further down the street, guests will find the Theater of the Stars. For ten years, this theater served as the home of Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage, in a theater shielded from the elements solely by a large canopy. But as 2001 came and went, and the Beauty and the Beast show at the Magic Kingdom was proving a bigger crowd-pleaser, it was decided to give the theater an update. Nowadays, the theater has shed its Hollywood Bowl theming in favor of something straight out of the grand movie-houses of the ‘30s and ‘40s. Much like the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, handprints can be found within the theater courtyard. Only here, the handprints are those of famous television stars: for example, Alex Trebek, Vanna White, Martin Mull, James Doohan, Lou Ferrigno and Fess Parker.

Inside, the newly-refurbished Theater recalls a bygone elegance of movie houses, adorned with Art Deco and Art Nouveau flourishes from the 1930s and 1940s. With the loss of the Hollywood Bowl theming comes a slightly-expanded stage area, as well as updated technologies, both on-stage and off: new set design, projections, new lighting, new sound, new everything. Speaking of new sound, a live orchestra accompanies the show! Now, with this change in the theater’s design came a new show. What would a park themed around Hollywood be without an awards ceremony? The proud musical legacy of Disney is on full display as the Theater of the Stars hosts The Golden Mickeys!

disney-cruise-line-golden-mickeys-4.jpg

Directed by acclaimed Broadway director Diane Paulus and choreographed by Enchanted choreographer Maria Torres, The Golden Mickeys highlights achievements by various Disney characters in several different categories; represented, of course, through some of the most iconic songs to come from the Disney movies. Right from the get-go, the feeling of being at an awards ceremony hits you. The pathway that leads up to the theater is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There’s no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up a few feet away from the entrance doors. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera. An announcement is made that Rona Rivers, famed red carpet hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show. A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her. As the special guests (a.k.a. us) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what “designer” line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other “red carpet” questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.

However, just as the music tunes up and the performance is about to begin, there’s a commotion backstage. The master of ceremonies has failed to appear, so a reluctant young stage manager named Chris (who, in this version of the show, is a genderfluid role) must take over hosting duties. The show follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in their role, ultimately realizing that anything is possible and dreams really do come true. What makes the show truly stand out is that it highlights many of the classic Disney films. In fact, there are fifteen Disney films represented in this 65-minute production – and that’s not even counting the hundreds of other films represented via movie clips and montages! To prove it, here’s a program detailing all the songs and films represented in the show…

• Pre-Show: “Red Carpet Arrival”
  • Opening: “Tonight is the Night”
  • History Lesson (Scene between Chris and Leonard Maltin)
  • Classic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    • “Someday My Prince Will Come”
    • “Whistle While You Work”
    • “Heigh-Ho”
  • Heroism
  • Symphony
    • “Under the Sea” (The Little Mermaid)
    • “Dig a Little Deeper” (The Princess and the Frog)
  • Villainy
    • “Cruella de Vil” (101 Dalmatians)
  • Friendship
    • “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” (Lilo & Stitch)
    • “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” (Toy Story)
  • Romance
    • “Bella Notte” (Lady and the Tramp)
    • “I See the Light” (Tangled)
    • “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” (The Lion King)
    • “Beauty and the Beast” (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Finale: “Who Knows Where a Dream Might Lead?”
This is an extravaganza unlike any other. Enjoy it as it all unfolds with dazzling song-and-dance numbers that pay homage to the magic and stories of Disney. And then, just like in the movies. see a once unsure stage manager transform into a confident host, realizing that anything is possible and dreams really do come true. And by the time the curtain falls, the message rings out with crystal clarity: In our hearts, we are all winners!

Across the street from the Theater of the Stars, having replaced Sunset Ranch Market, you’ll find Oswald’s Magic Mansion, an eerie Chateaux dollhouse described as “the most unusual private club in the world.” Founded by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit – and inspired by the real Magic Castle in Hollywood – this is a venue for magicians, escape artists and prestidigitators extraordinaire. Here guests may enjoy live close-up magic acts at their tables and on a small stage, accompanied with fine French food and cocktails. You’ll never know who’s performing! Strange enchantment permeates the club’s halls, from a possessed self-playing organ to hidden passageways to a statue of Oswald which can predict the future.

ecd9b464a461658cc8c295d90e12ec96.jpg

At the easternmost part of the park, guests will find the Hollywood Tower Hotel, casting a foreboding shadow against the Hollywood streets. Looking at it from the side, something bad has happened. A giant, cracked hole in the middle of the tower appears, as a complete part of the building has seemingly been ripped from the hotel. We step uneasily into the infamous hotel, only to find a dusty, abandoned lobby frozen in time, with everything in order as it was nearly one hundred years ago, left in untouched condition. Even the subdued hotel staff seems to be strangely out of this long-lost era.

Legend has it that the hotel was once the pinnacle of the hotels in Hollywood, until lightning struck the place on Halloween night of 1939, sending an elevator and five unfortunate hotel patrons into parts unknown. In the aftermath of such a tragedy, the Hollywood Tower closed its doors. But now, the doors have mysteriously opened up, allowing guests to take an unusual journey aboard that haunted elevator. We strap ourselves in and prepare to discover what lies among the dark side of the Hollywood dream. We shriek in terror as we are suddenly propelled up and down the abandoned shaft - unexpectedly dropping and rising - as the sound of cables snapping and metal clanging rings in from overhead. When this living nightmare finally ceases, we’ll hopefully discover the mysteries of the Hollywood Tower Hotel ... or as it’s more commonly referred to ... the Tower of Terror.

Yes, you read that correctly. By this point in time in this Mirror universe, the ride has lost its Twilight Zone theming. That’s because in 2016, it was decided to re-theme the ride, to see if the ride could still stand on its own without the Twilight Zone framing device. In a similar vein to Tokyo DisneySea’s Tower, the existing backstory was expanded into a full-fledged story. Now, guests join a team of investigators to discover what happened to the hotel, and what caused the elevator’s disappearance. The fifth dimension scene was re-worked as a new scene based on the Halloween 1939 backstory. And of course, the voice of the head investigator crackles away as the hotel takes over and the drop sequence begins.

Our frightening excursion supernaturally exits into Tower Gifts, a musty gift shop of the old Hollywood Tower Hotel.

82edc48ca5fe2dab28c4884e1f7306e8

Continuing to the back end of Sunset Boulevard, to the left, guests will find a courtyard leading to the Mercury Radio Studio, circa October 31, 1938. This was one of the most infamous days in radio history. This was the day that The Mercury Theatre on the Air would produce an adaptation of H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds…but little did they know about the reaction people would have regarding it…

Step inside the studio to tour the recording booths. You just may happen upon Orson Welles, who’s reading a news bulletin being beamed to American households everywhere about an alien invasion currently underway. Is it real? Could there truly be lights in the sky over Los Angeles? Proceed through the studio and witness for yourself aboard INVASION!, a launched roller coaster into the dizzying recesses of radio and wonder. To a riveting musical score interspersed by Welles’s narration of an intergalactic attack, you’ll blast into the light and through the stars aboard the ride formerly known as Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. This sensational attraction will leave you wondering if we’re alone in the universe.

alexey-mordovets-rocketeer-3.jpg

In the shadow of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, displayed prominently on the edge of Crescent Lake, is an exact replica of the Griffith Observatory. Hardcore Disney fans know that this Los Angeles icon was where the climax of one of Disney’s underrated gems began. And now, when we enter this building, we can join in on an all-new adventure in The Rocketeer and the Squadron of Doom! Although Neville Sinclair – the former Hollywood heartthrob revealed to be working for the Nazis – has been vanquished, his band of German buddies are out seeking revenge against the man who sent Sinclair flying to his demise. Only this time, they’re going to extra lengths to make sure they win the day in the end. This is where we come in. A newsreel is cut off by an urgent message from Cliff, Jenny and Peevy: the Nazis have formed the “Squadron of Doom”, a regiment so big in numbers, that the Rocketeer alone won’t be able to stop them. They tell us that Howard Hughes has been modifying his jetpacks, and has developed enough for a whole squadron of Rocketeers...namely, us.

Utilizing a more thrilling concept on the Soarin’ ride system -- one that can shake and buck -- we join the Rocketeer on a flight over Los Angeles. Predictably, the Squadron of Doom emerges from the trade winds in a fleet of warplanes, keen on acquiring our jetpacks by any means possible. A spectacular dogfight commences in, around and through Los Angeles’ famous landmarks -- the L.A. River, La Brea Tar Pits, and even a movie premiere! -- while the Rocketeer repels the invaders. It all culminates with an explosive finale in a special effects soundstage!

This epic adventure, which predates Soarin’ by about five years, has delighted guests ever since it opened in 1996. Billy Campbell, Jennifer Connolly and Alan Arkin all reprise their roles from the film, and James Horner provided a new score just for the attraction. In 2016, as part of the ride’s 20th anniversary, the ride system got an upgrade, allowing for even more thrills than before! Now, the jetpacks can move more like a KUKA arm, not like the rather gentle Soarin’ technique.

1.JPG

It seems only fitting that the famous South Seas Club neighbor Griffith Observatory. Elegant French cuisine, seafood, steaks and crepe suzettes are on the menu, allowing you to dine in elegance. And yes, this restaurant does come with a big band orchestra and a wide, open dance floor. Expect to see many Dapper Day meet-ups here. Alongside the South Seas Club is The Mallard Lounge, an upscale bar serving a signature “Hughes Brews” beer. Of course, Cliff Secord and Jenny Blake, and not to mention Peevy Peabody, are often out and about in this corner of Hollywood, ready to meet with fellow aspiring actors and future heroes.

MerryGoRound.jpg

Across the way from Griffith Observatory is an exact replica of the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round. It was here at this very spot that Walt Disney first dreamed up the concept that would become Disneyland. As he watched his daughters go round on the merry-go-round as he sat on a bench eating peanuts, he wondered why there wasn't a place where parents and children could have fun together. Such a wondering would go on to inspire countless Disney parks around the world. Now, enjoy a replica of this iconic Spillman ride in a bucolic, park-like setting overlooking Crescent Lake. Find a tribute to Walt Disney, complete with a statue of Walt on a bench, murals depicting his brainstorming process, and a calliope playing classic Disneyland favorites.

At the far end of Sunset Boulevard is the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater. Throughout the day, it sits dormant. But when night falls, it’s a whole ‘nother story…

3a1f1514941241ee7191d822a7e33fec.jpg

When night falls on Sunset Boulevard, the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater is magically transformed into an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. The incredible world of Mickey’s imagination comes to life in Fantasmic!, a spectacular nighttime pageant. A mysterious, mountainous island becomes the stage for a timeless clash between good and evil, with lasers, projection mapping, cascading waters, extraordinary digital projections, and breathtaking pyrotechnics.

In Mickey’s dream, we witness the forces of good and evil engaged in conflict, where mischievous monkeys, pink elephants, wild cowpoke, magical genies, swashbuckling pirates, daring heroes, and waltzing princesses more surprisingly appear on and around the island and the surrounding waterways. When Mickey is pulled into the Magic Mirror, the forces of evil are awakened as the Evil Queen of Snow White summons some of Disney’s most dastardly villains - including Ursula, Scar, Dr. Facilier, Chernabog, and Maleficent, the latter having transformed into a 45-foot, fire-breathing dragon!

Will Mickey triumph over the evil forces inside his imagination?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That was Sunset Boulevard, ladies and gents!

The idea for The Rocketeer and the Squadron of Doom was inspired by two separate concepts: @D Hulk's attraction for DisneySky (from where I also got the concept for The Mallard Lounge), as well as The Rocketeer Over Hollywood, created for The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Homecoming Edition in 2018 by the combined forces of the Orange Team and the Green Team. Likewise, the Orange and Green Teams also came up with Oswald's Magic Mansion and the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round, so all credit to them! Likewise, the idea to have the Snow White dark ride and INVASION! both came from both of Theme Park Lore's DHS layouts.

In the next post, we'll assemble in what was once Echo Lake to explore the world of superheroes at Avengers Campus! See you then!

cdunlap

Continuing to the back end of Sunset Boulevard, to the left, guests will find a courtyard leading to the Mercury Radio Studio, circa October 31, 1938. This was one of the most infamous days in radio history. This was the day that The Mercury Theatre on the Air would produce an adaptation of H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds…but little did they know about the reaction people would have regarding it…

Step inside the studio to tour the recording booths. You just may happen upon Orson Welles, who’s reading a news bulletin being beamed to American households everywhere about an alien invasion currently underway. Is it real? Could there truly be lights in the sky over Los Angeles? Proceed through the studio and witness for yourself aboard INVASION!, a launched roller coaster into the dizzying recesses of radio and wonder. To a riveting musical score interspersed by Welles’s narration of an intergalactic attack, you’ll blast into the light and through the stars aboard the ride formerly known as Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. This sensational attraction will leave you wondering if we’re alone in the universe.
This is much more cohesive than RNRC! I love it!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Nope, just one -- Car Toon Spin.
Well in different timeline, Roger Rabbit's Hollywood did really happening and opened in 1994 at Disney-MGM Studios. The land would have several attractions:
Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride
Toontown Transit
Toon Coaster (inspired by RollerCoaster Rabbit short)
Benny the Cab Ride

Anyways, take a look at my idea for Goofy's Toontown Tours (a new motion simulator ride inspired by Toontown Transit concept):
My user name is SegaSonic RulesX.

Last edited:
@DisneyManOne, Where did ya go on Worlds of Color? I’m Really looking forward to seeing the remaining content of this article, it’s even inspired me to make my own version of Walt Disney World: W.Alter E. Disney World Resort! or W.alternate Disney World, you inspired me to write my own version of WDW! Plus, this year (Or 2024 for readers in the future) marks Hollywood Studios’ 35 anniversary!

WaltWiz1901

I see you've seen the Park Lore Magic Kingdom buildout (and said you'd incorporate some of it into Mirror Magic Kingdom, which I am all for), so...
  • What's the deal with Fire Mountain: is it staying in Mythica, or will it (and its accompanying flat rides) be in southwestern Adventureland?
  • In Krosnick's buildout, the Hundred Acre Wood is placed, undoubtedly influenced by Disneyland, to the left of the "crossroads in the woods" mentioned after the cave running beneath the WDWRR. In the event you devote a (mini-)land to Pooh, will it be connected to or part of Fantasyland as it ought to...
  • ...and for the main dark ride, which of these would you go with: Hide 'n' Seek Adventure (as in the buildout), the three-in-one Many Adventures mentioned in your initial writeup, or the water-based Many Adventures you devised for Team Cassie's (What If...) Woods of Wonder? (No doubt you'd prefer to keep Dumbo and the Mad Tea Party as-is, but the Bounce-a-Long from the same project is there to add another flat ride to this hypothetical land)
  • Which of these other additional lands would you go with: Plaza de Familia, Grizzly Valley, Land of Shadows, or Yesterland? It's already been confirmed that Galaxy's Edge is now part of Worlds of Color, and Hollywoodland is no longer necessary if we're going that same route (Avengers Campus would also render parts of Tomorrowland redundant too, I assume).
Speaking of Worlds of Color, any chance of getting back to it? We're still only one fourth in...

I see you've seen the Park Lore Magic Kingdom buildout (and said you'd incorporate some of it into Mirror Magic Kingdom, which I am all for), so...
  • What's the deal with Fire Mountain: is it staying in Mythica, or will it (and its accompanying flat rides) be in southwestern Adventureland?
  • In Krosnick's buildout, the Hundred Acre Wood is placed, undoubtedly influenced by Disneyland, to the left of the "crossroads in the woods" mentioned after the cave running beneath the WDWRR. In the event you devote a (mini-)land to Pooh, will it be connected to or part of Fantasyland as it ought to...
  • ...and for the main dark ride, which of these would you go with: Hide 'n' Seek Adventure (as in the buildout), the three-in-one Many Adventures mentioned in your initial writeup, or the water-based Many Adventures you devised for Team Cassie's (What If...) Woods of Wonder? (No doubt you'd prefer to keep Dumbo and the Mad Tea Party as-is, but the Bounce-a-Long from the same project is there to add another flat ride to this hypothetical land)
  • Which of these other additional lands would you go with: Plaza de Familia, Grizzly Valley, Land of Shadows, or Yesterland? It's already been confirmed that Galaxy's Edge is now part of Worlds of Color, and Hollywoodland is no longer necessary if we're going that same route (Avengers Campus would also render parts of Tomorrowland redundant too, I assume).
Speaking of Worlds of Color, any chance of getting back to it? We're still only one fourth in...
@WaltWiz1901, Here are my predictions, @DisneyManOne hasn’t replied on this forum/article since May 4th, 2023.

Indiana Jones Adventure is presumably where Fire Mountain was planned in our universe, so the flat rides are not present.

Winnie the Pooh is located in between Neverland and Belles village in the Enchanted Forest section of Fantasyland, so it’s already been done.

@DisneyManOne will probably just stick with the 3 in 1 ride system.

I bet @DisneyManOne will use Yesterland & Land of Shadows. Coco Fits more better in the Mexico pavilion in EPCOT, and replacing the Country Bear Jamboree in Frontierland would be very tricky. Splitting Tomorrowland into two separate lands would be a very good tribute to yesterdays vision of tomorrow and the villains need WAY more representation in the parks. Plus, Cosmic Rewind & Avengers United will possibly be relocated to Avengers Campus to avoid redundancy.

Technically, we are 2/7 done, a typo was made in the lands that will be featured in Worlds of color, @DisneyManOne said there will be 8 lands when there are actually seven, and Sunset Boulevard wasn’t in bold letters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom