Mirror Mirror On the Castle.....

stitch001

I like the idea of the mirror but I dont know if I like the final product. Im sure it will grow on me. Hey the Cake grew on me. Im still not 100% sure what its all about. I do think that the fram is overpowering but, I can see why is had to happen. I really love the rest of the castle though, I wouldn't mind if the gold stayed for a while. and the pictures totaly rock my socks, BTW.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
stitch001 said:
I like the idea of the mirror but I dont know if I like the final product. Im sure it will grow on me. Hey the Cake grew on me. Im still not 100% sure what its all about. I do think that the fram is overpowering but, I can see why is had to happen. I really love the rest of the castle though, I wouldn't mind if the gold stayed for a while. and the pictures totaly rock my socks, BTW.
I agree with you about the gold staying for a while. It certainly beats the pink b'day cake!!! The gold looks kinda nice, but not sure if I'd like to keep all the figures up ther or not.

STGRhost

However, how can you say that the picture changes won't be magical when we haven't even seen it yet?

I think what -SIR- means is that the way we're all assuming the pictures will change (the triangular panels that turn) is not so impressive. Especially when you've seen Disney (and Universal, etc.) use that same technology on billboards all over central Florida for years.
I have to agree - I thought, based on the concept art, that it would be some sort of actual screen, either an led or some sort of projection. Not quite so basic and obvious as the billboard triangles... (You know, more "magical") Again, I suppose it's still an assumption...but from the pictures, I'd have a hard time believing the picture is going to change some other way.

I was there on saturday, and was able to zoom way in on the mirror with my camera and unless im really mistaken, those panels on the mirror arent even triangles. They just appear to look 2 sided.

artdude323

Billboards like that can do more than three images - the 2 sides that aren't "onstage" can flip around so when the triangular pieces rotate, there's a 4th, 5th, and 6th picture made. Each piece needs to be on it's own axis on each side, as well as the axis through the middle of the piece to change the picture. Just don't think of them as solid sides, but 6 floating sides on each piece.

Which means more hardware, and more need for bulky framing........

-SIR-

Maybe im wrong... maybe the changing of the images will be quite impressive... someone on here mentioned that the image is made of small pieces that will change in a swirling pattern... add a nice sound effect and maybe a little fiber optics and thats just as good as any video screen to me... we'll see... hopefully it wont be just a "swish swish" billboard like you already see constantly driving down I-4... I could live with this

aklodge

-SIR- said:
Maybe im wrong... maybe the changing of the images will be quite impressive... someone on here mentioned that the image is made of small pieces that will change in a swirling pattern... add a nice sound effect and maybe a little fiber optics and thats just as good as any video screen to me... we'll see... hopefully it wont be just a "swish swish" billboard like you already see constantly driving down I-4... I could live with this
Maybe, Just Maybe... I would hope so, but it's probbably not likely. :cry:

Lauriebar

Maybe I'm crazy but, I think that until the mirror is functional and we have first hand accounts as to how spectacular or non-spectacular it is, I'm going to hope and wish that it is going to be no less than splendid!!

mraw

There will be five different images. Being that they are made to look like stained glass and aren't literal, they will use the same design for the DL/HK Castle and the MK/Tokyo Castle, but the castles will be different colors and they will have subtle atmospheric elements that will put the castle in it's correct region. For instance, Mt. Fuji will be in the background of the Tokyo castle and the sun and clouds, etc. will be in different areas. I wouldn't be surprised if they held off the changing of the images until the event officially starts.

netenyahoo

It is neat, but does seem big in the pictures. I just thought that it is kind of weird that the magic mirror from Snow White would be on Cinderella's castle. I can't wait to see it in person.

SpenceMan01

mraw said:
There will be five different images. Being that they are made to look like stained glass and aren't literal, they will use the same design for the DL/HK Castle and the MK/Tokyo Castle, but the castles will be different colors and they will have subtle atmospheric elements that will put the castle in it's correct region. For instance, Mt. Fuji will be in the background of the Tokyo castle and the sun and clouds, etc. will be in different areas. I wouldn't be surprised if they held off the changing of the images until the event officially starts.

Can you point me to where you're getting this information? I'm having trouble conceptualizing this.

peter11435

crazycalf said:
Great pictures.

But is anyone else wondering why the mirror from snow white is on Cinderella castle?
As opposed to a snake from the Jungle Book, or fish and crab. I think you are looking too far into things.

CTXRover

The mirror is bigger than I thought it would be as well, but I think still looks great. From straight on heading down Main Street the whole castle, including the mirror, looks wonderful. The mirror is a tad big and bulky looking from the sides and from directly underneath it, but overall the entire castle overlay has surpassed my expectations and I say looks better than even the concept art let on. As I'm sure most who have seen in real life can attest to, pictures don't do it justice. Don't get me wrong, all the pics I've seen are absolutely wonderful, but they are unable to catch how the whole thing really shines. When the sun or lights at night hit the sequin-like silver spirals around the turrets, it is in fact quite a magical sight. I'm also quite pleased with the golden characters. They are much more detailed than I had expected and I'm happy they aren't as imposing as the concept art showed...For instance, if Peter Pan and Wendy were as big as the concept art showed, they would have been incredibly out of proportion and really ruined any forced perspective of the top portion of the castle.

The mirror provides THE reason for the entire overlay (that being a gateway to provide images of the castles around the world including the one that started it all from DL) and as such should be the centerpiece. While a bit bigger than probably was necessary, it still looks quite nice. The amount of detail and tile-like border on it are great.

dizneeboy

i don't know what to think. The first gold accents were classy and not over done. Then came all the gold characters. Although cute, its started to look a little over the top, and then, bam, a ginormous mirror.... I'm leaning towards tacky and over the top now.

But (silver lining appears) it could have been bigger than the castle. After all, a giant hand/wand, a giant hat, why not a giant mirror. Plus, instead of a tacky rotating billboard, we could have had a permanent picture of Michael Eisner to great us, looking down on us like the great and powerful OZ...oh the horror :lol:

Austin1

I think the Whole castle overlay is great for the 50th celebration :sohappy: but I hope and pray it comes down after that :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom