minor Laugh Floor info

dxwwf3

The official opening for AE was right after Indy opened.... that queue wasnt so immersive :lookaroun

Luckily the attraction more than made up for it ;)

All joking aside, I think it will be tough for me not to think of Timekeeper when I'm in that queue, but I do like what I see there. And as I said in the "Previews Have Begun" thread, my hopes for the attraction have went up a great deal after listening to a couple of the preview shows. Sure it's character based and I won't enjoy it as much as it's predecessor, but by golly I think I'm really going to enjoy this attraction. And that's all that matters. I don't like Mission Space as much as Horizons, but that doesn't mean M:S isn't one of my favorite attractions at WDW, because it is.

No matter what, I think The Laugh Floor is a drastic improvement over the previous character attraction in Tomorrowland and is actually a step in the right direction. I've sort of come to accept that the New Tomorrowland is dead and the important thing now is that we get quality attractions that somewhat fit in the land. And I think TLF will accomplish both. Sure it would be nice if this is where the character based attractions in Tomorrowland stopped here, but I'm not quite as pessimistic as I once was.

wdwfan22

No matter what they do people are not happy. Anything and I mean anything is better than what was there. A seasonal attraction that when it was opened played to a dozen or so. I can't tell you how many times I saw Timekeeper with just myself and my party being the only ones there. Like it or not the Laugh Floor will be an improvement.

PeaJay18

Now it seems the queue doesn't either, beyond a minimal suggestion that you are taking a Door to Monstropolis that, somehow, now has time travelling properties, too. The queue looks fine; it just doesn't make any more sense out of the attraction.

I'll hold off until I see pics of the "door" and the way it transports you to Monstropolis. The waiting area looks just like the corridors in the movie - and where does time travel come into it?

imagineer99

I've got to be honest, ever since I heard of the concept to put Monsters Inc. into tomorrowland I have had bad feelings about it. These pics and other reviews seem to go right along with my fears. The truth: Monsters Inc Laugh floor comedy club is going to SUCK. It's just too bad we cant go back to the days of great ideas and exciting attractions.

There's nothing like making sweeping generalizations about something that isn't even open yet!

Call me crazy, but didn't Timekeeper have the PLAINEST queue this side of dumbo the flying elephant?

kcnole

The truth: Monsters Inc Laugh floor comedy club is going to SUCK.

No that is not a truth. That is an opinion formed and held by yourself based off partial observations filtered through other peoples images and reviews.

I'm not sure what I think of this attraction yet but I will give it a chance to succeed and make up my opinions after I see it and not based on what somebody else tells me.

Does it fit in tomorrowland? It can. I would hope the imagineers would explain it more clearly but I see it. Time travel has nothing to do with it. In the future in this sci fi tomorrowland the monsters have discovered a way to open a door into the human sci fi land so that they can come in and bring laughs directly to the floor.

CaptainessKylie

OMG! this thread has really made me laugh!
Why have a lot of threads become an argument on here lately! Tis the season to be jolly!

You are right...it deserves the chance to succeed I hated TimeKeeper but my dad loved it so we were practically forced to go on it everytime and i JUMPED for JOY when it was gone!

Some attractions are always going to be better then others and some are just going to be time fillers...If you don't go in with a neutral opinion then you are going to be basing ur opinion on other peoples comments so ENOUGH!!! stop moaning...save some money up..wait until Jan (?) and go on the attraction!

Oh and have a merry Christmas!

CaptainMichael

The truth: Monsters Inc Laugh floor comedy club is going to SUCK.

It's just too bad we cant go back to the days of great ideas and exciting attractions.

Nope, since when has "truth" equalled opinion?

It has been LESS than a year since Expedition Everest opened, and still, people are not satisfied. I guess the Happiest Celebration on Earth and all the expansion that came with it spoiled people.

*shrug*

wannab@dis

Just looking at everything:

With the pictures and the description provided, it seems the story is that you enter through a Door into the Monsters' world. You are in Monstropolis where the testing chamber has been transformed into a stage. This seems to lack what some see as necessary creativity. Why that is an issue is that the theme was already quite tenuous, and people said to wait until it was finished to see how it fit in. "That Disney would make it work". The show itself had no relation. Now it seems the queue doesn't either, beyond a minimal suggestion that you are taking a Door to Monstropolis that, somehow, now has time travelling properties, too. The queue looks fine; it just doesn't make any more sense out of the attraction.

Of course not every attraction needs a hugely detailed or in-depth queue. However, I think many had more riding on this queue's theme due to the potential problems with its location already. It is more a confirmation than a complaint.
No, it's the normal complaining that you always do. You and a few of your "Disney can't do anything right and I'm never happy" crowd are just searching for a reason to not like the attraction. It's a shame that you can't just enjoy the parks and the magic they offer. You have my pity.

LilDucky

Luckily the attraction more than made up for it ;)
I'm am going to be completely honest with you, I know it's a cult fave.... but I hated that attraction with the passion of a thousand dying suns :lookaroun Glad I got that off my chest :lookaroun

No matter what, I think The Laugh Floor is a drastic improvement over the previous character attraction in Tomorrowland and is actually a step in the right direction. I've sort of come to accept that the New Tomorrowland is dead and the important thing now is that we get quality attractions that somewhat fit in the land. And I think TLF will accomplish both. Sure it would be nice if this is where the character based attractions in Tomorrowland stopped here, but I'm not quite as pessimistic as I once was.
I'm in total agreement with you here. Nice post :)

I'm not sure what I think of this attraction yet but I will give it a chance to succeed and make up my opinions after I see it and not based on what somebody else tells me.
Thank you!! Someone gets it! :lol:

csm

The answer is simple... some are SEARCHING for any reason to nag about an attraction they have deemed a failure before it's opening. Oh well... their loss.

*Searching* has nothing to do with it. People posted a few pics, and what is shown looks absolutely terrible. It's not nagging. It's simply pointing out what is there. Show me pictures of Indy or Tower of Terror or Journey to the Center of the Earth and you won't hear a single negative comment (shy of how long the plane ride took to get to the latter). Unlike most of you, *I* am not at all biased. If something is fantastic, I'll call it fantastic. If something sucks, I'm not going to sugar coat it to make self conscious people feel better. Hello? People? None of you designed this (or any attraction for Diseny or any other theme park) so STOP being so defensive over it!

And yes - "their loss" is pretty accurately put if someone was looking forward to the attraction and walks in to find *that*.

pfeigelm

Original Poster
I'd like to go back to the first page of this post. Are guest images projected on the screen up front and the ridiculed (in the disney sense of the word)? Can someone explain this a little further?

Glad to!

The theme of the show is typical comedy club. The forward 1/4 of the circlevision area contains 3 screens. The leftmost is about 10 feet square and used to display live shots of audience members who are being "interviewed" by the comedic monsters or just plain "picked on". This is also the screen that Roz shows up on. She is there as you enter the theater, making disparaging remarks and hurrying you to sit down. She is indeed "Always watching you." The large center screen is setup as a stage. The graphics are surely a work-in-progress. The new-to-comedy monsters appear in the middle screen. So the audience sees the interaction between monster and victim on those 2 screens. The right screen (I think) is door shaped and the borders are of an MI door teleporter. Mike showed up here a few times to into the next comedian. To the right of that is a giant laugh collector with the red meter just like the movie.

BTW - The storyline is that Roz needs Mike to fill the collector with audience laughs aka his quota. So Mike drums up former scarers who are inept at comedy (except for the last act, Mike's nephew, who was born to tell me that I look like his next Halloween costume) and therefore, hopefully, hilarious.

I hope that helps give you an idea of the show. I would have taken more photos but didnt want to get booted.

LilDucky

Hello? People? None of you designed this (or any attraction for Diseny or any other theme park) so STOP being so defensive over it!

I cant speak for anyone else, but I know I am not being defensive over the attraction. Like you said.... I havent seen it, but neither have you.

My main point is that people should stop judging an attraction they havent seen for themselves, and before it is *officially* open. Now, after you've seen it, and dont like it, then you are certainly entitled to say whatever you want about the ride. Why cant people give it a chance, before brushing it off as Another! Sucky! Uncreative! Attraction!?

If it's fantastic, then it's fantastic, and if it sucks, then it sucks, my main point is that you cant make that call after you have seen it for yourself. Heck, I may not even like it after I've seen it in person.

and for the record..... EE, a ride most people hailed as "fantastic" recieved plenty of complaints on this board.

EpcotServo

Oh my goodness. I just figured out how the laugh floor fits into Tomorrowland. You see, they never give a monster timeline in the movie. What if Monsters live much longer than humans? So fast forward to the future, where laughter is now a proven energy source for the monsters. The next step? Mike's laugh floor comedy club. So to get humans in, he opens the door in the city of Tomorrowland. Now you can easily link that up with the New Tomorrowland story. The top minds of tomorrowland see this as the energy source of the future! So where do they put it? The former science center! Where the people, vistors, and aliens can see for themselves the power of Monster Inc.'s Laugh Floor. And since it's the future, no one's scared of monsters. After all, there are aliens visting Tomorrowland every day. In short, Monsters can be in the future too. Sure it may not be a perfect fit, but I think it makes much more sense now. I think if all you naysayers stepped back and looked for a solution that dosen't call for an eleborate story, you'd get it. (and SGE for that matter)

kcnole

Everytime I see threads like this on the board it makes me laugh. Recall back if you will about 6 months or so ago when it was leaked out that the imagineers were making a change to Mission Space. This was the announcement that two of the bays would be changed to not spin. Do any of you remember the pandamonium that took place on this and other boards as every person leaped to say that it was ruining the ride, that it would make the original lines be extremely long, that there was no way the non spinning ride could be considered fun in the least, that it would create confusion and there was no way the queues could be workedso that it worked well.

I kept saying, let's just wait and see what they can do. But I was blasted down. Then the new version opened and people actually checked it out, and low and behold, it was good. I've only heard one or two complaints from uninformed people since. Now it could have turned out like Stitch and I have no problem with people posting possible pitfalls and mistakes they are afraid might happen and that they hope the imagineers have taken into account, but when every post is yelled from the rooftops as fact when the person posting generally hasn't seen anything yet then I just have to laugh and shake my head.

sknydave

For those who are saying Monsters-Inc. has nothing to do with Tomorrowland, please explain the connection between Tomorrowland's supposed futuristic theme and:

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Stitch's Great Escape
Tomorrowland Speedway

wannab@dis

*Searching* has nothing to do with it. People posted a few pics, and what is shown looks absolutely terrible. It's not nagging. It's simply pointing out what is there. Show me pictures of Indy or Tower of Terror or Journey to the Center of the Earth and you won't hear a single negative comment (shy of how long the plane ride took to get to the latter). Unlike most of you, *I* am not at all biased. If something is fantastic, I'll call it fantastic. If something sucks, I'm not going to sugar coat it to make self conscious people feel better. Hello? People? None of you designed this (or any attraction for Diseny or any other theme park) so STOP being so defensive over it!

And yes - "their loss" is pretty accurately put if someone was looking forward to the attraction and walks in to find *that*.
*that* looks pretty good to me. I found Turtle Talk to be a hidden gem of an attraction. Not all attractions are massive e-tickets and MI looks like a good, solid attraction from what I've seen.

This is all opinionated. But what gripes me is when comparisons are made that absolutely make no sense. Saying the queue for MI is horrible, but not complaining about all the other similar queues is not logical and it simply comes across as someone that just likes to whine when things aren't the way *they* want.

sknydave said:
For those who are saying Monsters-Inc. has nothing to do with Tomorrowland, please explain the connection between Tomorrowland's supposed futuristic theme and:

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Stitch's Great Escape
Tomorrowland Speedway

You're going to get a bunch of rationalization that is so flimsy it will be laughable. Oh, toss in CoP, Dreamflight or If you had Wings.

kcnole

I've typed out a long list of reasons why it does fit in with the current tomorrowland theme at least 8 times. I'm not going to do it in detail again. The current tomorrowland is not a true vision of the future as we once saw it, it is now a sci fi future. One in which aliens and galactic forces exist. If we can have aliens and galactic forces, why not have monsters from another dimension interacting with us. Of course it would work better if they changed the name to sci fi land instead of tomorrowland, but I like the nostalgia of the old name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom