Mini Lucas-Land?

FigmentJedi

That said, my preference is for a Star Wars land, just because there is a bit more variety than Indy (which, really, is the only other property that would be a part of Lucas-land, as I don't see us having an American Graffiti attraction, LOL).

That's why you convert Sci-Fi Dine In to have a slight American Graffiti theme.

NoChesterHester

On the latest WDW Fan Boys Podcast Jim Hill mentioned that the licensing deal Lucas has is enormous. I'm sure the cost of the licensing of those already very popular characters plays a lot into why we havent seen an expansion of Star Wars at DHS.

RSoxNo1

On the latest WDW Fan Boys Podcast Jim Hill mentioned that the licensing deal Lucas has is enormous. I'm sure the cost of the licensing of those already very popular characters plays a lot into why we havent seen an expansion of Star Wars at DHS.

We were having audio issues during that part of the show (it was about a 5 minute stretch), but the content was still interesting - we lost some of the dialogue as a result. If I remember correctly Anjelica Huston also had a sweet deal and benefitted significantly from Captain EO returning. I believe the situation was that she signed onto the project late and as such got a more lucrative merchandising deal than the other big names attached to the project.

Does anyone else know about this?

NoChesterHester

We were having audio issues during that part of the show (it was about a 5 minute stretch), but the content was still interesting - we lost some of the dialogue as a result. If I remember correctly Anjelica Huston also had a sweet deal and benefitted significantly from Captain EO returning. I believe the situation was that she signed onto the project late and as such got a more lucrative merchandising deal than the other big names attached to the project.

Does anyone else know about this?

This info makes me believe even more that EO's days are numbered.

AEfx

I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket compared to merchandising, and it's been pretty well documented that merchandising is Lucas' main goal. That's not a "hater" mentality, it's a fact - it's been that way since the days of Return of the Jedi (Richard Marquand, were he alive, would be the first to point out the creative hits that film took due to merchandising).

The films combined have made a couple billion dollars. The merchandising has made more than 20 billion.

I think the reason it hasn't been a priority is what I previously stated - they already make so much off of the merch and the increasingly "merchandise events" known as Star Wars Weekends (put some people in costume walking around, and get a few C and D list Star Wars performers to sign some autographs, suddenly it's a month-long event). They could invest a half a billion in a Star Wars land, but it probably wouldn't sell them significantly more merch than they already do as they squeeze it so dry it's a miracle they haven't started stocking Star Wars toilet paper yet. ;)

I still dream it - Lucasland, or Muppetland, at the Studios. Either one would be a dream come true.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket compared to merchandising, and it's been pretty well documented that merchandising is Lucas' main goal. That's not a "hater" mentality, it's a fact - it's been that way since the days of Return of the Jedi (Richard Marquand, were he alive, would be the first to point out the creative hits that film took due to merchandising).

The films combined have made a couple billion dollars. The merchandising has made more than 20 billion.

I think the reason it hasn't been a priority is what I previously stated - they already make so much off of the merch and the increasingly "merchandise events" known as Star Wars Weekends (put some people in costume walking around, and get a few C and D list Star Wars performers to sign some autographs, suddenly it's a month-long event). They could invest a half a billion in a Star Wars land, but it probably wouldn't sell them significantly more merch than they already do as they squeeze it so dry it's a miracle they haven't started stocking Star Wars toilet paper yet. ;)

I still dream it - Lucasland, or Muppetland, at the Studios. Either one would be a dream come true.
I would tend to agree. The Star Wars merchandise line is incredibly saturated and I do not see a large theme park expansion increasing it enough to offset the cost. Lucas Land would need to be able to stand on its own and generate revenue based on increased ticket sales, restaurant revenue and special events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom