Mine Train Live Chat

Cesar R M

Don't fret; most didn't take the chat seriously....

Considering the canned and zero content answers.. yeah lol.

I suppose the chat was planned to be geared more towards kids than Disney Adult fans?

I must admit, I thought the whole Live Chat thing was rather lame and uninspiring, considering how big and beautiful this very expensive attraction is!

Iger cut the PR department's budget so they could add 5 stones more in the ride ;)

kap91

I often wonder why they are not more open to telling the public more details about what they are building. Why keep is a secret? Why does it need to be a surprise? Unless it's a piece of crap and they just don't want anyone to know yet.

Because surprises are fun? Because they want you to actually come to the park to experience it rather than just watching a youtube video? Because when you spill all the beans before an attraction opens all the fans have ample to time to obsess over every little nugget of information, inflate their expectations, make assumptions, and simultaneously deride everything as being cheap and not up to standards. If you have the ability to keep information close to the vest and then have people be actually surprised when the attraction opens it makes for a much better experience.

Note: these are the reasons why they might. I don't think Disney cares all that much about giving away details about new attractions. They've done everything short of providing a complete ride through of the show-ready attraction and that's likely only because its not show ready.

Personally I think Disney gives out way too much information these days about upcoming attractions. There literally might be 100 square feet of the mine train that hasn't been seen by the public. I'm afraid they'll do this with Avatar. Companies that truly keep things secret (or as secret as can be in an internet age) like Apple and Universal certainly have the right idea - don't give out any information other than vague statements and then people are actually excited and overwhelmed by the new experience - rather than being able to completely be able to make up their mind before experiencing it. You build up hype and suspense and its a genuine joy when its finally revealed. And people are ecstatic because there's all sorts of details and things they never imagined - because a dozen reporters and PR departments and websites weren't taking pictures of them all for 2-3 years in advance.

The amount of PR Disney spreads about every detail of its attractions and the simultaneous gigantic influx of insiders that can leak all sorts of information about upcoming attractions are the two worst things to have happened to the fan communities and public at large. I don't want to turn this into another Universal > Disney thread or Disney doesn't innovate anymore thread so please let's not go there. But I think it is safe to say that experience of anything - even things that are only moderately well done - whether it be a new ride, movie, broadway show, sporting event, or birthday party are much more enjoyable when one doesn't know all whats coming.

TP2000

What was the point of this chat again? Besides showing us the interior of the ride, what did this offer?

It offered the chance for out of touch cubicle-dwellers with worthless college degrees in Marketing or Communications from vaunted palaces of learning like the University of Central Florida to fill their day with busywork. Take Ms. Jenn Hyphens-Are-Cool, for example. At her quarterly review with her boss in a bland Kissimmee business park this waste of Internet will be paraded out again as proof that she is engaging both "Stakeholders" and "Guests" with "Social Media" and "driving the business" or some such meaningless corporate psycho-babble. Pats on the back will then be exchanged and Jenn will duck out of the business park a little early on Friday afternoon quite satisfied with herself. :cool:

You didn't think they're spending the ticket price increase all on upkeep and expansion, do you? There's an entire army of Disney workers in cubicles working on important stuff like this chat, and they must get paid!

Bocabear

It offered the chance for out of touch cubicle-dwellers with worthless college degrees in Marketing or Communications from vaunted palaces of learning like the University of Central Florida to fill their day with busywork. Take Ms. Jenn Hyphens-Are-Cool, for example. At her quarterly review with her boss in a bland Kissimmee business park this waste of Internet will be paraded out again as proof that she is engaging both "Stakeholders" and "Guests" with "Social Media" and "driving the business" or some such meaningless corporate psycho-babble. Pats on the back will then be exchanged and Jenn will duck out of the business park a little early on Friday afternoon quite satisfied with herself. :cool:

You didn't think they're spending the ticket price increase all on upkeep and expansion, do you? There's an entire army of Disney workers in cubicles working on important stuff like this chat, and they must get paid!
This is so true! Can't wait for their next installment of live chat about paint drying...

kap91

Point taken but is insulting a University or person's education really necessary?

TP2000

Point taken but is insulting a University or person's education really necessary?

I went to a big 'ol state university on the GI Bill myself, that wasn't the point. The comment was aimed more at these big state schools that encourage kids to get into lifelong debt to get the four millionth degree in "Marketing!" so they can spend the rest of their life in a Herman Miller cubicle.

There can only be so many Don Drapers in the world, and our universities need to be churning out a lot more engineers and scientists instead of poets and consumer-psychic mediums. I'm sure UCF is a fine school, and I bet they have some good parties too (which is what I remember most from college).

kap91

I went to a big 'ol state university on the GI Bill myself, that wasn't the point. The comment was aimed more at these big state schools that encourage kids to get into lifelong debt to get the four millionth degree in "Marketing!" so they can spend the rest of their life in a Herman Miller cubicle.

There can only be so many Don Drapers in the world, and our universities need to be churning out a lot more engineers and scientists instead of poets and consumer-psychic mediums. I'm sure UCF is a fine school, and I bet they have some good parties too (which is what I remember most from college).

UCF is historically and still is primarily an engineering school btw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom