Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Jones14

But a ride shouldn’t need a tutorial. It should be fun even for a first time rider, whether 5 or 70. Whether they understand what’s going on or not (due to age, language, cognitive disabilities, whatever).
I disagree; Men In Black and Toy Story Mania both have tutorials at the start of the ride, and it helps you get your bearings before things really take off. Guests need time to figure out what they’re supposed to do, and how they’re supposed to do it.

nickys

Premium Member
I disagree; Men In Black and Toy Story Mania both have tutorials at the start of the ride, and it helps you get your bearings before things really take off. Guests need time to figure out what they’re supposed to do, and how they’re supposed to do it.

Wouldn’t call it a tutorial, just a practice. But yes, I see your point. Lego Land has a Ninja ride using the Wii - type hand movements instead of a joystick or controller. You do get told what to do and a practice before scoring starts.

So really, Chewie needs to come on screen and explain what each person’s role is and give you a practice. Should be fairly easy to create it and add it to the ride.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
So really, Chewie needs to come on screen and explain what each person’s role is and give you a practice. Should be fairly easy to create it and add it to the ride.

That would be pretty hilarious to have Chewie explain anything. It would be like the first four hours of the Star Wars Holiday special.

I‘ve never thought any of the controls on the Falcon ride are that complicated. They’re pretty simplified as is. Then again I’m under 50 and grew up on Nintendo, Sega and arcade games. As for having a tutorial isn’t the opening sequence of leaving Batuu fill that purpose? You have to avoid some obstacles, shoot a few things and repair the damage. I guess everyone forgets about that.

nickys

Premium Member
That would be pretty hilarious to have Chewie explain anything. It would be like the first four hours of the Star Wars Holiday special.

I‘ve never thought any of the controls on the Falcon ride are that complicated. They’re pretty simplified as is. Then again I’m under 50 and grew up on Nintendo, Sega and arcade games. As for having a tutorial isn’t the opening sequence of leaving Batuu fill that purpose? You have to avoid some obstacles, shoot a few things and repair the damage. I guess everyone forgets about that.

Well we were discussing the fact that not everyone plays video games and that it isn’t intuitive to everyone. I don’t have a clue, I did try playing some Lego Star Wars games on an old Xbox once, couldn’t keep the different moves in my head for each of those four buttons, and had no clue what the aim was in each scene.

So the tutorial about what your role is, what you have to do and how to do it was suggested. Maybe try reading the couple of pages before my post to get the drift of why the subject of a tutorial came up. 😉

I haven’t any idea what happens, over a year until I get to ride it. But if it took @MisterPenguin several times to get the hang of the engineer role, I’m guessing my random pressing of buttons likely isn’t going to enhance anyone’s ride experience.

Frankly I’m in the camp of those who just want to ride in the Millenium Falcon. I don’t much care whether I succeed at whatever it is I’m “supposed” to be doing. And anyone who thinks shouting at me will achieve anything positive will soon find out otherwise. However, if a short tutorial on what to do might make it more enjoyable, for me or the other five people, then I’m all for it.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Well we were discussing the fact that not everyone plays video games and that it isn’t intuitive to everyone. I don’t have a clue, I did try playing some Lego Star Wars games on an old Xbox once, couldn’t keep the different moves in my head for each of those four buttons, and had no clue what the aim was in each scene.

So the tutorial about what your role is, what you have to do and how to do it was suggested. Maybe try reading the couple of pages before my post to get the drift of why the subject of a tutorial came up. 😉

I haven’t any idea what happens, over a year until I get to ride it. But if it took @MisterPenguin several times to get the hang of the engineer role, I’m guessing my random pressing of buttons likely isn’t going to enhance anyone’s ride experience.

Frankly I’m in the camp of those who just want to ride in the Millenium Falcon. I don’t much care whether I succeed at whatever it is I’m “supposed” to be doing. And anyone who thinks shouting at me will achieve anything positive will soon find out otherwise. However, if a short tutorial on what to do might make it more enjoyable, for me or the other five people, then I’m all for it.

Uh huh. The thing is you don’t you don’t really need video game experience to figure it out, but it helps. You’re literally pressing a few flashing buttons. If that’s too demanding you always have the option of sitting there like a vegetable and just letting the “game” play itself. Even if you’re a pilot. It can be funny to crash into things.

nickys

Premium Member
Uh huh. The thing is you don’t you don’t really need video game experience to figure it out, but it helps. You’re literally pressing a few flashing buttons. If that’s too demanding you always have the option of sitting there like a vegetable and just letting the “game” play itself. Even if you’re a pilot. It can be funny to crash into things.

Which is what a ride really should be.

Except that it isn’t, according to a lot of people. Not as much fun as it should be, with strangers screaming at little kids, and adults left feeling guilty about their part in the ride.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Which is what a ride really should be.

Except that it isn’t, according to a lot of people. Not as much fun as it should be, with strangers screaming at little kids, and adults left feeling guilty about their part in the ride.

It’s a ride with interactive options. I’ve yet to have a bad experience on it. Not even close. Certainly no one screaming at anybody or adults feeling guilty. That’s pretty silly. A few times the people picked as pilots felt a little intimidated but after the ride gets going it’s all fun. A little support and encouragement goes a long way.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Not so much to get the hang of it, but to master it.

RSoxNo1

You possibly nailed one of the major flaws of the ride. A guest shouldn’t have to re-ride to understand what’s going on.
I don't fully agree with this. While I'm not sure this is applicable to Smugglers Run, a ride with layers of detail and story is not 100% comprehended upon the first ride through. I do however think in Smugglers Run's case (as well as many other attractions) you can get the "gist" on the first ride through and comprehend more on additional rides.

With Smugglers Run I think its biggest flaw is that it didn't fully take advantage of the "Rendered in real time" selling point. I would have liked to see more deviation dictated by the users. Perhaps this can be further explored in future missions.

Bocabear

I did the Smuggler Run attraction the other night...It was fairly quiet, I was by myself and did the Sinfgle Rider line since I was...well...a single rider. I did not realize that the entire preshow and any sort of basic storyline are missed in this line... no setup, nothing...just a distressed faux painted hallway that was already peeling in just a couple weeks.
I was handed an Engineer card, which I guess all single riders get according to another single rider...
The pre boarding area aboard the ship was very well done, and then the cockpit was also very nicely done...My problem is, you have 6 people in the pod...Two 5 year olds in the captain position, so all we did was crash and crash and crash... The engineers literally do nothing except push a button once...I found the whole experience to be annoying and came away feeling like this was aimed at another audience... No preshow means you have no idea what is going on, Maybe if you are in a group it would be more fuin, but I found Mission Space to be more engaging than this... Next time I am in Orlando I will try it again and not take the single rider option....Maybe it will be a better experience...

Mickeyboof

I did the Smuggler Run attraction the other night...It was fairly quiet, I was by myself and did the Sinfgle Rider line since I was...well...a single rider. I did not realize that the entire preshow and any sort of basic storyline are missed in this line... no setup, nothing...just a distressed faux painted hallway that was already peeling in just a couple weeks.
I was handed an Engineer card, which I guess all single riders get according to another single rider...
The pre boarding area aboard the ship was very well done, and then the cockpit was also very nicely done...My problem is, you have 6 people in the pod...Two 5 year olds in the captain position, so all we did was crash and crash and crash... The engineers literally do nothing except push a button once...I found the whole experience to be annoying and came away feeling like this was aimed at another audience... No preshow means you have no idea what is going on, Maybe if you are in a group it would be more fuin, but I found Mission Space to be more engaging than this... Next time I am in Orlando I will try it again and not take the single rider option....Maybe it will be a better experience...

If they were crashing, that means the engineer has even more to do. Frankly, you probably missed a lot of actions. But how would you know, you know? Single Rider is absolutely set up for in-the-know riders.

Bocabear

Perhaps the hosts should explain that? I will tell you I watched the buttons and when they lit I pressed them, but it was not often.... As we were leaving, one of the little kids said "Dad...what do the Engineers do?" I said...We have no idea...and the other Engineer chimed in...

Mickeyboof

Perhaps the hosts should explain that? I will tell you I watched the buttons and when they lit I pressed them, but it was not often.... As we were leaving, one of the little kids said "Dad...what do the Engineers do?" I said...We have no idea...and the other Engineer chimed in...

Sigh. I understand. I personally like the Engineer position, but it’s difficult to explain why.

Bocabear

Sigh. I understand. I personally like the Engineer position, but it’s difficult to explain why.
I probably just need to ride it a few more times to get the gist of it...but then the question is: Should you have to ride an attraction several times before you can really enjoy it?
And I would have loved the Star Wars Land to not have all been battle worn, run down overly distressed desert landscape completely lacking any of the cool sparkly glamour of the first movies...The futuristic space ports, the beautiful City In The Clouds... It just lacks any sort of futuristic dazzle that isn't dystopian... The land comes off more like a Desert Pandora with only one attraction.

Mickeyboof

I probably just need to ride it a few more times to get the gist of it...but then the question is: Should you have to ride an attraction several times before you can really enjoy it?
And I would have loved the Star Wars Land to not have all been battle worn, run down overly distressed desert landscape completely lacking any of the cool sparkly glamour of the first movies...The futuristic space ports, the beautiful City In The Clouds... It just lacks any sort of futuristic dazzle that isn't dystopian... The land comes off more like a Desert Pandora with only one attraction.

That’s a great question. I shouldn’t think so... but here we are.

You visited the Hollywood Studios version, correct? Wait until you see Disneyland’s. Disneyland’s features more bullet holes you could imagine, and even less color.

It’s remarkable the choices made on this project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom