Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Jones14

The interior waiting room (“chess room”) won’t exactly match the assumed shape of the room. Artistic liberties have been taken to make it feasible to feed three different ride areas, plus have an entrance.
Would I be right in assuming that those three areas are load, unload, and disability pod?

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Sorry, I don’t visit this thread much.

Don't be a stranger!
We're relying on non-Disney reporters and the limited information provided by Disney to try to piece this together before the ride debuts. So your considerable knowledge of the project would be most welcome in any capacity. Especially if we, or the reporters, are way off on the descriptions or guesstimations.

thequeuelinelectures

Any thoughts on how they’ll do the chess effect? I’m assuming if they do make it work it’s also not playable and more like a scripted loop but they could totally surprise me. Just seems like to pull off an illusion like that without AR or musion, you’d basically need real hologram tech...

drod1985

Any thoughts on how they’ll do the chess effect? I’m assuming if they do make it work it’s also not playable and more like a scripted loop but they could totally surprise me. Just seems like to pull off an illusion like that without AR or musion, you’d basically need real hologram tech...

They could play it off as a gag. Use some simple FX like good ol' fashioned projectors and a puff of smoke or two to illustrate that the table is trying to boot up but is broken.

thequeuelinelectures

They could play it off as a gag. Use some simple FX like good ol' fashioned projectors and a puff of smoke or two to illustrate that the table is trying to boot up but is broken.

Yeah that would have been especially fun if they had Chewbacca in the chess room like originally thought. He could yell and smack it as it breaks

Old Mouseketeer

A door to additional cockpit hallways, maybe? Closed when loading the nearest turntable, open to load the farther turntable or ADA cockpit?

View attachment 357273

This is really good. Can I suggest another alternative for loading the second cockpit? Without accounting for the Control Rooms and ADA cockpit (which you did really well), here is another possibility (sorry, I have crap for graphics editing),

Orange is the boundary of the built load queue.
White is the entrance through the port docking ring.
Purple is the path to enter the normally positioned cockpit (C-turntable on your diagram).
Red is the location of the secondary cockpit (D-turntable on your diagram).
Blue is the path to load the secondary cockpit.
Green is the location of the new corridor hatch we have seen pictures of.

Not to nitpick, but the diagram I used suggests a slightly larger diameter than yours in order for the circular hall to align with the portside entry hall. The exits and control rooms could be similar to yours, but I haven't accommodated the ADA cockpit. There are also a couple of additional details I didn't think of to make this more believable, but I think it could work.

Thanks for your effort--it really made me think!

Rteetz

This is really good. Can I suggest another alternative for loading the second cockpit? Without accounting for the Control Rooms and ADA cockpit (which you did really well), here is another possibility (sorry, I have crap for graphics editing),

View attachment 359661
Purple is the path to enter the normally positioned cockpit (C-turntable on your diagram).

Not to nitpick, but the diagram I used suggests a slightly larger diameter than yours in order for the circular hall to align with the portside entry hall. The exits and control rooms could be similar to yours, but I haven't accommodated the ADA cockpit. There are also a couple of additional details I didn't think of to make this more believable, but I think it could work.

You are missing the accessible pod being part of this as well.

Old Mouseketeer

You are missing the accessible pod being part of this as well.

Thank you. I believe I acknowledged that twice.

This wasn't intended to be a definitive layout. As I said, 180o did a very comprehensive and thought-provoking job. I'm sorry if I didn't state my intent clearly. I was trying to come up with a way to make the two loading paths to two different turntables less obvious. Believe me, having a mobility impairment myself, the ADA pod is very important to me, even if I don't need it currently.

180º

View attachment 359661

Nice! Thanks for indulging me and sharing your thoughts. Your configuration actually seems to follow what Martin’s been describing more closely, in that the cockpits will not share a main hallway off of the chess room.

Old Mouseketeer

Nice! Thanks for indulging me and sharing your thoughts. Your configuration actually seems to follow what Martin’s been describing more closely, in that the cockpits will not share a main hallway off of the chess room.

Well, it does accomplish a bit of sleight of hand in that the path to the D-turntable offers just enough disorientation to mask the existence of a second cockpit. The exits could be just as you laid out. I didn't really think about this until I saw your diagram. I had played with this some months ago on the DL SWL thread.

Cosmic Commando

I think in reality that even hardcore fans who "know" the layout will be disoriented enough to remain immersed. Curved hallways are very uncommon, and in-turn more disorienting to most people than looking at a plan view.
Since most people have never been in a Millennium Falcon :), I think it will be fine. If someone studies all the specs and diagrams before they go to Galaxy's Edge, it will be like a more extreme version of reading the book right before going to see the movie adaptation... you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

Bleed0range

I think in reality that even hardcore fans who "know" the layout will be disoriented enough to remain immersed. Curved hallways are very uncommon, and in-turn more disorienting to most people than looking at a plan view.

The thing about the layout is even in official sources it always varies slightly. So it’s acceptable to vary slightly here too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom