News Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party returns for 2022

Rteetz

Everything about the 50th just feels rushed. (And really not all of it is their fault, if I'm being honest).

Look at the timeline a little bit:
  • May 2021: original teaser for the 50th. The teaser didn't even feature CC with firework effects, but did showcase the Beacons.
  • June 15th 2021: Happily Ever After and EPCOT Forever announced to return.
  • June 22nd 2021: Enchantment and Harmonious gets announced to start on 10/1
  • July 2021: HEA and EF start.
Enchantment likely got green-lit in June 2021 (or maybe a month earlier at tops). That's not a ton of time all, but they wanted "something" to debut on 10/1. Since it was such a late production, they probably abandon all nostalgic plans to go with something that would make Enchantment live past the 50th. That was a mistake.

Fast forward to this year...They had an opportunity again to make something "50th specifically related" when they restored a parade at MK and could have turned Festival of Fantasy into a "Magic is Calling" parade and utilize the 50th cavalcade float, but skipped on that too.

Not showing Enchantment 4 days a week starting in August, should be the clear sign that changes are coming. They are exiting the 50th fast and furious.
I’m not sure you’re using greenlit in the correct way. The upgrades, and plans for a new fireworks show were underway well before June 2021.

If you do truly think Enchantment got “greenlit” in June 2021. I may have some land in Nebraska to sell you.

mattpeto

I’m not sure you’re using greenlit in the correct way. The upgrades, and plans for a new fireworks show were underway well before June 2021.

If you do truly think Enchantment got “greenlit” in June 2021. I may have some land in Nebraska to sell you.
Well considering in March 2021, they were hiring a principal fireworks designer, my timeline probably isn’t that far off:

To say that things from the last couple of years were quite fluid is an massive understatement.

But tell me more about this land in Nebraska.

fvrs7189

We will be down there for the opening night and would like to see this. Is the May 12 on sale date for all WDW resorts? Or will I have to wait till the 18th. Also, I do expect a high demand for the vloggers, what time doe the tickets go on sale? 6am? or Midnight EST?

Rteetz

Well considering in March 2021, they were hiring a principal fireworks designer, my timeline probably isn’t that far off:

To say that things from the last couple of years were quite fluid is an massive understatement.

But tell me more about this land in Nebraska.
You’re assuming that position is for designing enchantment.

We had rumors and notices of a new show for quite a while. They were making upgrades to the fireworks pad and aspects in park just randomly.

I’m not denying things were fluid because they most certainly were but again I think you’re using greenlit incorrectly here. Disney doesn’t really do anything in the span of four months or whatever you believe the timeline was.

mattpeto

You’re assuming that position is for designing enchantment.

We had rumors and notices of a new show for quite a while. They were making upgrades to the fireworks pad and aspects in park just randomly.

I’m not denying things were fluid because they most certainly were but again I think you’re using greenlit incorrectly here. Disney doesn’t really do anything in the span of four months or whatever you believe the timeline was.

When do you think they were confident enough they would be able to include firework spectaculars for the anniversary? That's the timing I was talking about...

Again the first teaser of the 50th didn't have fireworks in it.

Its hard to think they would have fully greenlight production (design, animation, music, pyro design, etc.) of a brand new firework before believing they could use it.

Rteetz

When do you think they were confident enough they would be able to include firework spectaculars for the anniversary? That's the timing I was talking about...

Again the first teaser of the 50th didn't have fireworks in it.

Its hard to think they would have fully greenlight production (design, animation, music, pyro design, etc.) of a brand new firework before believing they could use it.
Again I’m not denying things were fluid. That’s a fact given the time we were in. That doesn’t mean they weren’t working on things. Major shows and attractions are often in development for years. Even if they don’t happen they often still go through the phases until you actually see the final product.

I don’t buy what you’re trying to sell that Enchantment was created from the ground up in four months. That just doesn’t happen with Disney. There are tons of moving pieces in these shows. We have actual evidence of things being worked on well before you’re suspected June start timeframe on this. The 50th was in development for years. Of course things changed given what the state of the world was but that doesn’t mean they threw this together overnight either.

Say I'm a principal fireworks designer and I work for WDW. And say I've been working on Enchantment as well as other projects for a a year or even longer. Say I found a new job somewhere that pays more, or maybe I want to retire. And say the company I work for (WDW) wants to advertise for a replacement so put a call out for a principal fireworks designer. No one can say what the reasons were for WDW to advertise for a principal fireworks designer. You can speculate that they had none and draw up your theories, and others can speculate that was not that case at all. No one here knows for sure.

TTA94

Again I’m not denying things were fluid. That’s a fact given the time we were in. That doesn’t mean they weren’t working on things. Major shows and attractions are often in development for years. Even if they don’t happen they often still go through the phases until you actually see the final product.

I don’t buy what you’re trying to sell that Enchantment was created from the ground up in four months. That just doesn’t happen with Disney. There are tons of moving pieces in these shows. We have actual evidence of things being worked on well before you’re suspected June start timeframe on this. The 50th was in development for years. Of course things changed given what the state of the world was but that doesn’t mean they threw this together overnight either.

Wasn’t there originally a new nighttime parade in development before the pandemic? Not talking about the whole PTN thing.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I believe someone stated that Enchantment was rushed. Maybe not 4 months rushed, but it was not the typical lead time.

Was it @ToTBellHop who said that or am I misremembering?

Gillyanne

I'm going to be there the week of August 14th through the 20th, so I'm hoping to acquire either the 16th or 19th. Thanks!

Samesie! My BFF is going to be there too (arriving the 16th) waiting to see if they decided on going and which day (and also if she'll pick up my tickets w/ hers b/c she's staying on site ;) )

ToTBellHop

I wouldn’t doubt some of it was. Those Main Street projections are 😬
While a new show was planned well in advance, the projections were rushed and some music choices were rather last-minute. Also, pandemic restrictions presented challenges since, as we’ve seen elsewhere, remote work doesn’t promote cohesive teamwork.

All of these things are visible in the finished product but should help prevent a future DE. That doesn’t mean creative blunders can’t happen, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with the vision of DE (which largely cribs off HEA). It’s all execution. For me, it’s the opposite of Harm’s issues. Bad vision, pretty visuals. But, work on Harm started well before the pandemic.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Update:
My sister and I discussed it and decided we will NOT be attending MNSSHP in late August.
We like the party but more for the shorter wait times than anything else and I get the feeling that they are going to oversell the parties since they have not had a regular party since 2019.
We also think its fun to dress up but it becomes a hassle when you have to find something fun that is 95*F appropriate.
It has also rained the last 3 special ticketed events I've been to at MK and it tends to bring down the extra atmosphere that special events are supposed to have. Instead of leisurely walking around listening to Halloween or Christmas music we are just trying to get candy or popcorn without it getting soggy.

Anyways we had to switch around a few park pass reservations but everything is all settled now and actually I'm happy with the way we changed the last day because now we will be hopping to 3 parks to hit up our favorites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom