Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

tirian

Just thought I'd post this ... I think it's an interesting read for Disney fans and I support what Disney is doing here.

They've blanded Mickey, a great character, down to being a corporate logo when he's so much more. And this looks like a first move back in the right direction ... even if it scares the white-bread stroller brigade.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/11/05/mickey-mouse-gets-his-edge-back/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2009%2F11%2F05%2Fmickey-mouse-gets-his-edge-back%2F

Although I've been keeping up with "Epic Mickey" since it was announced, I read another article about this on CNET yesterday morning.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10390179-52.html?tag=mncol

I'm thrilled—absolutely elated—to see Disney allowing the Mouse to get his quirky personality back. Audiences in the late 20s fell in love with a slightly mischievous, plucky character, not a bland smiley face that laughs three times for every two words spoken.

Now that the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs and the smaller collections have been selling well, I'm pleased to see Mickey will matter to kids again.

EPCOT Explorer

I remember hearing about Mickey's rebranding on this site shortly after I joined...and frankly, I was against it. I thought that he's superseeded himself in a way, and IS the icon for Disney, and honestly should be left alone. He couldn't be "real" becuase Disney isn't real. Disney is timeless, rich in nostalgic...In that, I thought that he should be left him "pure", innocent, and a symbol...

HOWEVER....

I'm wrong. Having Mickey BACK as a character that actually goes on adventures and actually IS in a story is something GREAT. Like Tiri mentioned...Back to his old plucky self. A self that Walt himself made.:D

So...Welcome back, Mickey Mouse.

On another note...I would buy a game system just for this game. :lol: Looks FANTASTIC. I hope that they at least make merch.

FigmentJedi

I'm surprised all those negative comments aren't making me rage, but laugh instead. Mickey needs this whole shift to a more dynamic personality. Would be great if they brought in more of those European Disney comics. Wizards of Mickey being brought to the US is a start (where I got my awesome avatar), but we need some of those awesome detective stories too.

FigmentJedi

HOWEVER....

I'm wrong. Having Mickey BACK as a character that actually goes on adventures and actually IS in a story is something GREAT. Like Tiri mentioned...Back to his old plucky self. A self that Walt himself made.:D

So...Welcome back, Mickey Mouse.

On another note...I would buy a game system just for this game. :lol: Looks FANTASTIC. I hope that they at least make merch.

Not to mention the possibilities that the Wasteland in Epic Mickey might include some Epcot stuff. Crossing my fingers for Figment and Dreamfinder.

EPCOT Explorer

Not to mention the possibilities that the Wasteland in Epic Mickey might include some Epcot stuff. Crossing my fingers for Figment and Dreamfinder.
I know. It can be huge!:sohappy::D

But you mentioned negative comments in a earlier post? I admitted I was wrong....:lookaroun:lol:

_Scar

This def. hurts Mickey's image. Mickey was never meant to be mean or violent. That's what Donald's for.

Hope this never makes its way as a costume to any Disney park.

FigmentJedi

I know. It can be huge!:sohappy::D

But you mentioned negative comments in a earlier post? I admitted I was wrong....:lookaroun:lol:

I meant on the article comments, with the concerned soccer moms afraid this game will make their children into monsters.:brick:

This def. hurts Mickey's image. Mickey was never meant to be mean or violent. That's what Donald's for.

Someone has never watched any of the older cartoons where he abused animals as musical instruments, forced himself on Minnie, got into a ton of fights and constantly causing mischief.
When Mickey was becoming more of an icon, they split parts of that old personality off. Donald is basically Mickey's old attitude, Goofy his naive side, Pluto his loyalty.

EPCOT Explorer

I meant on the article comments, with the concerned soccer moms afraid this game will make their children into monsters.:brick:

Someone has never watched any of the older cartoons where he abused animals as musical instruments, forced himself on Minnie, got into a ton of fights and constantly causing mischief.
When Mickey was becoming more of an icon, they split parts of that old personality off. Donald is basically Mickey's old attitude, Goofy his naive side, Pluto his loyalty.
:D:sohappy:

I have to say it...Mickey was anything but "Disney".:lol:

_Scar

Actually, I'm an old cartoon junky when it comes to Disney. Yes, Mickey in the 40's/30's wasn't the Mickey we see and love today. But there also weren't characters like Donald to take away Mickey's bad side and it also was a very, very different time period.

And that's exactly what I said in my post ("that's what Donald is for").

This idea is either going to be genius or not, and so far with this "new" Mickey (reminds me of giant leg Pikachu- 5 pnts for whoever knows that reference) doesn't sit well with me. They shouldn't reinvent something that doesn't need reinvention. Oswald does, but it's pretty clear he's the villain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom