Mickey on the move

rsoxguy

I definitely think the heart of a yellow journalist beats in his chest.

That's not always such a bad thing. He's written some very informative and entertaining articles on old chapters of Disney history (like the birth and death of ideas like Westcot and Western River Expedition). I suspect he can get away with a little more "colorizing" there because he's describing decades-old events, and history tends to become starker in the telling.

His BS gene is a lot more obvious when he's talking about current events. I think he'd be better off just sticking to the information instead of trying to spice up every story with (what's often) obviously manufactured drama.

Agreed. Its just that I could almost hear him purposely clicking the keys of an old typewriter as he read that article to himself before its publication!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I was talking to another major Disney online journalist who told me that Jim Hill used to have good sources, but would explode these little tidbits into huge stories that had a lot of speculative information. Since then, his sources have tapered off, and now he's left writing articles like this...

vonpluto

If only there was a big open area off of Main Street somewhere that only shows cartoons and is never used...

Showing cartoons on Main Street, what a silly idea.:rolleyes:

Seriously, bringing Mickey to Town Square is almost like having him come home. IIRC, back in the day, the only place to meet Mickey in the MK was in a controlled M&G in the nook between Sun Bank and City Hall.

jimmyritt33

Every time I read about this topic I get more and more agitated as well as a little more sad. So they're now going to have Mickey and Minnie on Main Street? Why do I see the congestion being crazy in this area?

I know that Toontown was supposed to be only temporary, but for every person that would skip this area entirely there was a family with small children that enjoyed it. I have said this before, tell my 2 boys that they'll be seeing the Little Mermaid Ride and get a chance to meet the Princesses? It's a lot easier to take little girls to Toontown, but more difficult to take little boys to Princess land.

With that being said I now wish they would turn Tom Sawyer Island into a POTC themed island like Disneyland. And I realize this goes totally against what I had previously said.

jakeman

Every time I read about this topic I get more and more agitated as well as a little more sad. So they're now going to have Mickey and Minnie on Main Street? Why do I see the congestion being crazy in this area?
I would say about 3/4 of the Town Square Exihibition Hall is not being used. You could plop him back there and no one would ever know.

I know that Toontown was supposed to be only temporary, but for every person that would skip this area entirely there was a family with small children that enjoyed it. I have said this before, tell my 2 boys that they'll be seeing the Little Mermaid Ride and get a chance to meet the Princesses? It's a lot easier to take little girls to Toontown, but more difficult to take little boys to Princess land.
And for every family with 2 boys there is a family with 2 girls. :animwink:

Seriously though, we don't know everything that is going in the expansion yet, or who it will include and exclude demographic-wise.

With that being said I now wish they would turn Tom Sawyer Island into a POTC themed island like Disneyland. And I realize this goes totally against what I had previously said.
Why? Tom Sawyer can be just as recognizable and fun as Jack Sparrow. It just takes a little more work, that's all.

bugsbunny

I think I am the only one that like Jim Hills articles.

there is at least two of us. it would seem the self-important fanboys around here can't stand the fact that someone else might actually have insider information. The stories over at JHM are about as accurate and bare fruit at least as much as the stories do here.

When he does state something that ultimately turns out to be true, not one person here gives him credit and its usually followed up by stupid things like "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile". Its the same reaction to ever link to one of his posts. Jim Hill writes story > somebody here posts link with "Jim Hill is at it again!" or something similar > and 75% of the thread goes off topic discussing how Jim Hill is a fraud, yellow journalist, give poison milk to children, beats puppies, etc.

Rumors are rumors...period. Unless Iger announces himself or if its in a Disney press release THEY ARE ALL RUMORS until we can ride the thing, walk into it, or whatever. But apparently, if you are in with the clique here, you are held to a higher level of authenticity even when past posters have been proven to be frauds. Can't anyone ever read something and give an objective opinion rather than grade it via the court of public opinion? Can nobody think for themsleves and form their own opions anymore? Without a doubt, i love these forums simply for the devout narrow opinions I'm sure to read here. Its the beauty of the Internet!

Wilt Dasney

there is at least two of us. it would seem the self-important fanboys around here can't stand the fact that someone else might actually have insider information. The stories over at JHM are about as accurate and bare fruit at least as much as the stories do here.

When he does state something that ultimately turns out to be true, not one person here gives him credit and its usually followed up by stupid things like "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile". Its the same reaction to ever link to one of his posts. Jim Hill writes story > somebody here posts link with "Jim Hill is at it again!" or something similar > and 75% of the thread goes off topic discussing how Jim Hill is a fraud, yellow journalist, give poison milk to children, beats puppies, etc.

There's a distinction between fraud and yellow journalism. A guy can have good information, and still write like he thinks he's the reincarnation of William Randolph Hearst or the New York Post of Disney.

Speaking for myself, 100% of my criticisms of JH relate to his style of writing, 0% to the veracity of his information. That's been the only criticism in this entire thread, by the way.

I gave the guy credit for some of his historical articles in an earlier post. He clearly has the soul of a storyteller. He just needs to stop trying to manufacture narrative drama in everything he writes, even where none clearly exists.

ProjectXBlog

I too hate him mainly for his style of writing and his tendency to place himself on a pedestal. Check the blog, I wrote a fairly in-depth article about it all (NSFW).

djkidkaz

Anyone confirm his talk about toontown going down the first of the year? He's the only one I've seen mention that early of a timeframe?!

jimmyritt33

I would say about 3/4 of the Town Square Exihibition Hall is not being used. You could plop him back there and no one would ever know.

And for every family with 2 boys there is a family with 2 girls. :animwink:

Seriously though, we don't know everything that is going in the expansion yet, or who it will include and exclude demographic-wise.

Why? Tom Sawyer can be just as recognizable and fun as Jack Sparrow. It just takes a little more work, that's all.

My point was/is that the Toontown concept with the Fab 5 and the Toontown Tent was much more enjoyable for all families and not geared specifically to the little girl demographic. We'll have to wait and see about the Dumbo portion of the expansion if indeed the Barnstormer is rethemed to a Casey Jr type coaster.

RSoxNo1

The Clown alley concept sounds cool, but this is the type of thing that Jim Hill throws out there that typically has no legs whatsoever.

raiden

I would love to see this coaster get enclosed with special effects whether its casey jr or a fairy coaster..With the coasters steel exposed(unlike BTRR) it looks eh unmagical to me.

The mouses move into town would not be surprising thou...

urbanvegan

I think it would be interesting if they kept the idea of it being Mick's 2nd home around (with his real house being in Disneyland's Toontown) and built him an apartment on Main Street where you could meet him.

Although I suppose it could be confusing for a 'toon to live on a "people" street. I just like the idea of keeping the 'toon home furnishings around, since they are such a hit with the kiddos.

It could just be his little pied-a-terre.

jakeman

My point was/is that the Toontown concept with the Fab 5 and the Toontown Tent was much more enjoyable for all families and not geared specifically to the little girl demographic.
And a meet and greet in another area of the park with the same characters won't be? Especially if it is a relatively unused portion of Main Street?

We'll have to wait and see about the Dumbo portion of the expansion if indeed the Barnstormer is rethemed to a Casey Jr type coaster.
Why do we have to wait and see about Dumbo, but we can go ahead and condemn the rest of the expansion to having no appeal to boys?

We have already seen concept art of a possibility of knight's training. Who knows what else they have?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom