Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

ImperfectPixie

I don’t have #’s to suggest this other than anecdotal information. It was a walk on attraction. It was something to do in the park, and an excuse to get out of the hot Florida sun. My statement is simply backed up by what attractions had lines and what attractions people were running too when the gates dropped. It doesn’t take data to know GMR was not a must do for most guests. If people were going on this ride in the past few years, it was because there was little to do at HS.

With that being said I’m always open to listening if you have actual data that shows GMR was a popular attraction. Please share.
Honestly, if you have data that 30 something and unders were screaming to ride this attraction once again, please share. More of a ride for the Grandpas and Grandmas remembering yesteryear. Nothing wrong with that either.

It doesn’t take data to tell you this ride was not attracting new guests into the park. Normally when people say show proof its really just them trying to stop a conversation. This is just common sense that a GMR type experience was past its prime.

IMO this new ride is a much better fit for younger generations and fits much better into the direction of the park. It just fits the mentality of the newer generations for better or worse that’s up to the guest. Btw I’m 45, and prefer this ride. GMR was great for its time but hokey as heck.
Your "evidence" isn't real evidence. GMR was absolutely a must-do for our family...2-3 times a trip, actually. The reason people weren't "lined up" is because it had good capacity and didn't require a FP - which we all already know increases standby wait-times. People only run to specific attractions at opening because those attractions are 1) new, 2) have miserable wait-times otherwise (see Peter Pan's Flight - slowest loading ride in MK makes it have miserable waits), or 3) didn't want to use a FP (or couldn't get one) for the attraction they're running to.

As for you (and others) thinking kids didn't like GMR...again, you're wrong. My sons rode for the first time when they were 2 1/2 and 7 (they're 14 and 9 now), and LOVED it and insisted we ride every time we went to HS.

Your entire post is just your opinion.

Tonto

Your "evidence" isn't real evidence. GMR was absolutely a must-do for our family...2-3 times a trip, actually. The reason people weren't "lined up" is because it had good capacity and didn't require a FP - which we all already know increases standby wait-times. People only run to specific attractions at opening because those attractions are 1) new, 2) have miserable wait-times otherwise (see Peter Pan's Flight - slowest loading ride in MK makes it have miserable waits), or 3) didn't want to use a FP (or couldn't get one) for the attraction they're running to.

As for you (and others) thinking kids didn't like GMR...again, you're wrong. My sons rode for the first time when they were 2 1/2 and 7 (they're 14 and 9 now), and LOVED it and insisted we ride every time we went to HS.

Your entire post is just your opinion.
That’s okay. Glad you and your family enjoyed the attraction.
Thanks for sharing your opinions as well.

Last edited:

Seth141

I was actually just coming on to say something similar. I'm really happy with how the park is rounding out as a whole. Now we just need them to update/replace the shows from the 90s (Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indy etc...).

I understand and respect your thoughts on the topic. Personally, I’m just happy with the current state of HS, as I think they can build in a new cohesive direction with the new attractions that have been added.
These are just my opinions. You know what they say about those. haha

Steph15251

It was not a walk on attraction when I would visit. Consistently waited about 25-35 minutes in the last few years of operation. I know this because I would normally wait standby since I would always pick other attractions for Fastpass.

Last time I rode The Great Movie Ride in Spring 2017, I waited about 35 minutes in standby.
Most of the time in the last years ,when I went on GMR it was just walk on or like 15 min wait.

Steph15251

I was actually just coming on to say something similar. I'm really happy with how the park is rounding out as a whole. Now we just need them to update/replace the shows from the 90s (Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indy etc...).
Yes those shows really need an update or replacement

Horizons1

I don’t have #’s to suggest this other than anecdotal information. It was a walk on attraction. It was something to do in the park, and an excuse to get out of the hot Florida sun. My statement is simply backed up by what attractions had lines and what attractions people were running too when the gates dropped. It doesn’t take data to know GMR was not a must do for most guests. If people were going on this ride in the past few years, it was because there was little to do at HS.

With that being said I’m always open to listening if you have actual data that shows GMR was a popular attraction. Please share.
Honestly, if you have data that 30 something and unders were screaming to ride this attraction once again, please share. More of a ride for the Grandpas and Grandmas remembering yesteryear. Nothing wrong with that either.

It doesn’t take data to tell you this ride was not attracting new guests into the park. Normally when people say show proof its really just them trying to stop a conversation. This is just common sense that a GMR type experience was past its prime.

IMO this new ride is a much better fit for younger generations and fits much better into the direction of the park. It just fits the mentality of the newer generations for better or worse that’s up to the guest. Btw I’m 45, and prefer this ride. GMR was great for its time but hokey as heck.
Guess at 31 having an appreciation for film makes me a “grandma or grandpa”.

KBLovedDisney

What is so trippy that it makes you think of it as a bad trip? It’s nothing any crazier than your common cartoon would have. This seems like an over dramatic statement.
I mean look at other cartoony rides. How do you think those other ride ideas came about?:cautious:

Yeah, I'm dramatic and TBH I am upset. They could have kept the GMR, just updated it, and created this new ride to be housed in another building which the TDC seem to have the money to build in their back pocket because all they are doing is building new things lately.

Bastet

I suppose the other thing going against updating GMR is we dont know what was happening about the licencing of the non owned films. Could the the cost of that gone beyond what Disney was prepared to pay

Bleed0range

I mean look at other cartoony rides. How do you think those other ride ideas came about?:cautious:

Yeah, I'm dramatic and TBH I am upset. They could have kept the GMR, just updated it, and created this new ride to be housed in another building which the TDC seem to have the money to build in their back pocket because all they are doing is building new things lately.

I keep seeing people being upset about the loss of TGMR, but to be honest I never saw many people on it when I went and I would imagine if it was actually as popular as it’s fans think it was it would have stuck around. But I think it’s popularity was niche. It, for me and my friends, was always just something to do but we never shared love for it the way we would the Haunted Mansion or Twilight Zone TOT.

I think the fact that it was such a low popularity ride with such a high capacity led to its downfall. You can throw in the relevancy of the movies it covered in top of that.

KBLovedDisney

I keep seeing people being upset about the loss of TGMR, but to be honest I never saw many people on it when I went and I would imagine if it was actually as popular as it’s fans think it was it would have stuck around. But I think it’s popularity was niche. It, for me and my friends, was always just something to do but we never shared love for it the way we would the Haunted Mansion or Twilight Zone TOT.

I think the fact that it was such a low popularity ride with such a high capacity led to its downfall. You can throw in the relevancy of the movies it covered in top of that.
Well, GMR was a must do for me every trip. I loved it, not only because it felt like a classic to me like POTC (the original) or Haunted Mansion but because my parents loved it too. We all loved that ride. Yeah, it was cheezy and not for everyone, but to me the ride had more heart.

Edit: After hearing of the closing of GMR, I booked a 1 day pass to Disney, woke up the next morning and left my home at 4am, drove the 7+ hours just so I could ride GMR one more time before it closed. That's how much I loved it. I even bought their sad Tervis with the "That's a Wrap" label. I loved that ride and miss it dearly, now even more so.

Bleed0range

Well, GMR was a must do for me every trip. I loved it, not only because it felt like a classic to me like POTC (the original) or Haunted Mansion but because my parents loved it too. We all loved that ride. Yeah, it was cheezy and not for everyone, but to me the ride had more heart.

Edit: After hearing of the closing of GMR, I booked a 1 day pass to Disney, woke up the next morning and left my home at 4am, drove the 7+ hours just so I could ride GMR one more time before it closed. That's how much I loved it. I even bought their sad Tervis with the "That's a Wrap" label. I loved that ride and miss it dearly, now even more so.

I’m not saying it was a bad ride or anything. I know people loved it. But it wasn’t one of my favorites. And I rode it for the first time in 1990 which I think was the first or second year it was opened? I rode it every visit but one, but it just wasn’t my favorite. When I think of MGM Studios, my favorite things about it were the Indy stunt show and Star Tours. Then when they added TOT that became like HM comparable in quality and theming to me.

I think what killed TGM experience for me was, I always had CM’s with horrible acting skills. And it made it extra cheesy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I suppose the other thing going against updating GMR is we dont know what was happening about the licencing of the non owned films. Could the the cost of that gone beyond what Disney was prepared to pay

Disney pretty much locked down using those licensed movies in perpetuity (like Universal with the Marvel characters they use).

The problem was mechanical issues (the Busby Berkeley carousel of swimmers with water effect, the fire scene's issues, Ripley's unbelievable neck snap, etc...) and freshening the ride for newer generations who couldn't care less about Johnny Weissmuller (that should've been updated to Buster Crabbe!!!).

The cost for a full update was the cost for a completely new ride, which made the decision easy for WDW that:
1. wanted to showcase their own IPs, especially MM who never got his own ride,​
2. wanted such ride to be cloned to the other parks (something which TGMR was never likely to have happened to)​
3. wanted to move DHS from being about to the movies to experiencing being in one​

I understand that in the MMRR vs. TGMR debate that it's wrong to compare the dilapidated TGMR with the new MMRR, but instead, imagine a properly upkept TGMR vs. MMRR. But, even doing that, I'd prefer MMRR. I'd rather be entertained than edutained in a theme park (especially since the educational aspect often has some glaring issues that make me mad).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Neon!

1583443128907.png

Brer Oswald

There’s little doubt that Mickey fits the Chinese Theatre. People seem to forget Mickey was considered a Movie Star in his heyday. Heck, the first appearance of the Chinese Theatre in Disney media was a meta Mickey Mouse Cartoon.

Could they have gone farther with the concept? Sure. Is GMR better than what we got? Idk maybe? But I’ve seen the debate about theming and I think now is a good time to express the fact that it fits just fine.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Had a FP run today.

It's definitely cute and fun - the videos posted don't do it justice. I saw a post on a different thread from @SoFloMagic and agree that you should manage expectations, especially if you've been on trackless rides already.

It was well received with the guests we sat with and the new animation style didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

Horizons1

So you are taking my words out of context and applying your own meaning to them. I appreciate your perspective, but that was not my point at all.
I am taking your words for what they are. You have your opinions and I have mine, but I feel no shame in being a grandpa for wanting a great movie ride in a movie studio based theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom