MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Do you not see the trooper?

Here are some of his friends...

1583449304358.png

Magic Feather

🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s an ops preference. You can walk into the courtyard for GMR during fireworks (I’ve done it many times, makes for quite the trippy experience). The most likely just don’t want to deal with the lower visibility (plus standby signs have to be turned off. If the really didn’t want to use the courtyard, they can also reroute the entrance to the OMD side, one use the side entrance to the theater. There is no unavoidable reason to close the ride for fireworks.

FigmentFan82

I am taking your words for what they are. You have your opinions and I have mine, but I feel no shame in being a grandpa for wanting a great movie ride in a movie studio based theme park.
I loved GMR, but not heartbroken over it. And to be fair, DHS is no longer a "studios" park as they've shifted to "making you believe you're in the movies" park (yes even though it's still called Hollywood Studios). But hey, my favorite ride was the backlot tour! RIP to that!

RSoxNo1

I’m good with the gutting! it was a good attraction for a past generation. Felt like a museum piece. It wasn’t attracting new guests to the park and it certainly wasn’t an attraction retaining guests. Its time past IMO. With that being said different strokes for different folks.
It was not a walk on attraction when I would visit. Consistently waited about 25-35 minutes in the last few years of operation. I know this because I would normally wait standby since I would always pick other attractions for Fastpass.

Last time I rode The Great Movie Ride in Spring 2017, I waited about 35 minutes in standby.
I don't think Tonto's comment is unreasonable at all. I recognize that down thread Martin acknowledges that the attraction needs an update, but we're acting as if that update already happened and it was widely successful. I'd love to hear the guest satisfaction numbers for GMR from @lentesta and what (if any) drop off may have occurred after the changes towards the end.

I think most people on this site would agree that GMR needed a significant update, but doing that update in addition to M&MRR was the move. It shouldn't have been an either or situation.

It should also be noted that towards the end, adding Fastpass to GMR substantially increased the wait time for it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.

UNCgolf

I think most people on this site would agree that GMR needed a significant update, but doing that update in addition to M&MRR was the move. It shouldn't have been an either or situation.

This is exactly it. MMRR looks great and I'm looking forward to riding it eventually, but the only reason to have it replace GMR was to save money. Didn't have to construct a whole new building, queue, etc. and also didn't have to spend the money necessary to update GMR. It was a lateral move for DHS rather than a forward looking one; the park still needs more attractions.

MrPromey

This is exactly it. MMRR looks great and I'm looking forward to riding it eventually, but the only reason to have it replace GMR was to save money. Didn't have to construct a whole new building, queue, etc. and also didn't have to spend the money necessary to update GMR. It was a lateral move for DHS rather than a forward looking one; the park still needs more attractions.

Agreed! I don't see anyone arguing that this new ride shouldn't have opened or that what it replaced wasn't in serious need of updating - just that both should have happened.

Like the old ride or not, it was built on a scale that Disney seems to seldom do anymore (ROTR being a notable exception).

This new ride continues the trend where people will spend way more time waiting and way less time experiencing something while taking up the footprint of something that was a people-eater. For other examples, see Test Track, Mission Space (I'm assuming GOTG - although the footprint is growing signifgantly, in this case), JIYI.

Test Track for instance, is a great and popular ride but you can't deny that it's a short ride compared to what it replaced and once you're off it, you're off to go stand in another line or I guess as Disney likes to think of it, shop and eat.

As for TGMR, I don't know that anything beyond the final movie was ever updated. I think even the script they spoke was the same as it was in '89.

If they'd changed out some of the scenes and updated the animatronics and effects in the ones they'd kept over the years, this could have continued to be a great attraction.

Think about the updates that have been made to Spaceship Earth since it opened including this year's, MAJOR one. That's what this attraction needed and frankly, Hollywood Studios could have really used both attractions.

lazyboy97o

Agreed! I don't see anyone arguing that this new ride shouldn't have opened or that what it replaced wasn't in serious need of updating - just that both should have happened.

Like the old ride or not, it was built on a scale that Disney seems to seldom do anymore (ROTR being a notable exception).

This new ride continues the trend where people will spend way more time waiting and way less time experiencing something while taking up the footprint of something that was a people-eater. For other examples, see Test Track, Mission Space (I'm assuming GOTG - although the footprint is growing signifgantly, in this case), JIYI.

Test Track for instance, is a great and popular ride but you can't deny that it's a short ride compared to what it replaced and once you're off it, you're off to go stand in another line or I guess as Disney likes to think of it, shop and eat.

As for TGMR, I don't know that anything beyond the final movie was ever updated. I think even the script they spoke was the same as it was in '89.

If they'd changed out some of the scenes and updated the animatronics and effects in the ones they'd kept over the years, this could have continued to be a great attraction.

Think about the updates that have been made to Spaceship Earth since it opened including this year's, MAJOR one. That's what this attraction needed and frankly, Hollywood Studios could have really used both attractions.
You’re just being greedy and unrealistic thinking one of the world’s busiest theme parks should have a ride count in the double digits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom