Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Steph15251

I love it based on the video. Using tech that exists already, but this is a very unique attraction different than anything Ive seen before. I absolutely love it and this a perfect anchor attraction that was needed at HS. The park has way better flow now. Loving, loving, loving it. As anything else I get that people are going to prefer legacy attractions. Not me. Imo this attraction was long in the tooth, boring, too long, and always a walk on in recent years.

As good as it is in the video, it should be a better on ride experience. Can't wait. HS finally has a strong lineup of rides. Could use 1 or 2 more but this park is onto something special!
I might feel this way if they updated GMR but the GMR we lost I am fine with. I am of the younger crowd though so some of the movies in the ride didn't do it for me like they may others.
I agree great movie ride so badly needed to be updated. The GMR that closed was really outdated.

Rteetz

But that’s just it. GMR covered many different types of movies to appeal to a broad range of people. GMR wasn’t just about one single movie. Not everyone likes horror or sci-fi, but cover them all and you’ve got something that appeals to everyone. Maybe I’m just getting old.
Yes of course but the ride still needed an update. Robert Osborne wasn't doing it for me.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I'm still quite shocked Disney not only put out a ton of stills... but a large portion of the ride out on B-roll video before it's open? I can't think of them doing it to this degree before? especially recent attractions?

They basically showed all of Rise. Really annoying if you want to stay unspoiled.

yensidtlaw1969

It’s a shame to lose the GMR instead of updating it; since MRR is primarily projections, it could’ve been built in any warehouse with a nice façade. It didn’t have to replace the GMR.

But this still looks like a solid addition to the park! The sets and projections are better integrated here than in Rat.
1583385113728.gif

jrogue

I watched a video of this a few times from a few different places to try and get a good sense of this ride...and maybe I just need to see it in person? But I am not digging it.

I'm not a fan of relying heavily on screens, and I feel like it looks like half of the ride is just painted 2d cutouts with the rest on screens. I saw a few animatronics that looked impressive, but nothing that really left me WOW'd. Theres a rock area where they could have made actual plaster rocks, and they could have even shaped and moulded the buildings using real brick, etc to give it a similar to downtown vibe. Idk, overusage of screens makes me angry and feels lazy to me.

I don't think this deserved to replace the GMR at all. Hopefully when I finally get to see it in person itll change my mind.

yensidtlaw1969

I watched a video of this a few times from a few different places to try and get a good sense of this ride...and maybe I just need to see it in person? But I am not digging it.

I'm not a fan of relying heavily on screens, and I feel like it looks like half of the ride is just painted 2d cutouts with the rest on screens. I saw a few animatronics that looked impressive, but nothing that really left me WOW'd. Theres a rock area where they could have made actual plaster rocks, and they could have even shaped and moulded the buildings using real brick, etc to give it a similar to downtown vibe. Idk, overusage of screens makes me angry and feels lazy to me.

I don't think this deserved to replace the GMR at all. Hopefully when I finally get to see it in person itll change my mind.
I will say, something you don’t get from the videos is the Musion technique that is used in a few places - Goofy in the train, for example, exists on a completely different plane from the background behind him and appears to operate in his own in space. On video it looked like one flat image with a parallax effect, but it’s Musion like the “Holographic” pop stars or the projected actors on Rise (trying to avoid spoiling with specifics). Those don’t fully work because they’re trying to create the illusion of a 3D person using an inherently 2D method that literally falls flat when you’re not looking at it head on. Here it works REALLY well because Cartoons so lend themselves to that flatness. It feels like an asset rather than a liability. They use it more than I’d expected but still a little less than I’d hoped. If you’re gonna project these characters THAT was the way to do it, and sometimes they fall back on less interesting methods.

jrogue

I will say, something you don’t get from the videos is the Musion technique that is used in a few places - Goofy in the train, for example, exists on a completely different plane from the background behind him and appears to operate in his own in space. On video it looked like one flat image with a parallax effect, but it’s Musion like the “Holographic” pop stars or the projected actors on Rise (trying to avoid spoiling with specifics). Those don’t fully work because they’re trying to create the illusion of a 3D person using an inherently 2D method that literally falls flat when you’re not looking at it head on. Here it works REALLY well because Cartoons so lend themselves to that flatness. It feels like an asset rather than a liability. They use it more than I’d expected but still a little less than I’d hoped. If you’re gonna project these characters THAT was the way to do it, and sometimes they fall back on less interesting methods.
Thank you for the insight on that! That's a really cool aspect that def doesn't transfer well to the videos, so I'm excited to see that in person :)

Tonto

I don’t have #’s to suggest this other than anecdotal information. It was a walk on attraction. It was something to do in the park, and an excuse to get out of the hot Florida sun. My statement is simply backed up by what attractions had lines and what attractions people were running too when the gates dropped. It doesn’t take data to know GMR was not a must do for most guests. If people were going on this ride in the past few years, it was because there was little to do at HS.

With that being said I’m always open to listening if you have actual data that shows GMR was a popular attraction. Please share.
Honestly, if you have data that 30 something and unders were screaming to ride this attraction once again, please share. More of a ride for the Grandpas and Grandmas remembering yesteryear. Nothing wrong with that either.

It doesn’t take data to tell you this ride was not attracting new guests into the park. Normally when people say show proof its really just them trying to stop a conversation. This is just common sense that a GMR type experience was past its prime.

IMO this new ride is a much better fit for younger generations and fits much better into the direction of the park. It just fits the mentality of the newer generations for better or worse that’s up to the guest. Btw I’m 45, and prefer this ride. GMR was great for its time but hokey as heck.

Pete C

When I got home from work yesterday, my 7yo son who is a HUGE fan of the new Mickey shorts (loves all the classic shorts as well) had already watched the entire ride through on YouTube and was jumping up and down with excitement telling me about it. He is already begging to go to ride it and the see the Vacation Fun theater show which he also watched. It is just a compilation show with some extra stuff tying it all together, but he that much of a fan he wants to see it anyway. So at least for my kid, mission accomplished Disney.

For me (at least from just watching it on video), Disney did a great job making this look like a cartoon. I was thinking it would be more kinetic with more scenes going "into" the screen like Transformers at Universal. The name Runaway Railway implies the train going out of control, and the new shorts are completely nuts with loads of fast action. Based on that I just assumed the attraction would mirror that frenetic pace and provide more visual thrills. However, it ended up being more like a classic Fantasyland ride just dialed up with technology. That's fine too, just not what I was expecting. It looks really neat in terms of the visuals, and I can't wait to see it in person to get the full immersion.

Last edited:

Seth141

It was not a walk on attraction when I would visit. Consistently waited about 25-35 minutes in the last few years of operation. I know this because I would normally wait standby since I would always pick other attractions for Fastpass.

Last time I rode The Great Movie Ride in Spring 2017, I waited about 35 minutes in standby.

I don’t have #’s to suggest this other than anecdotal information. It was a walk on attraction. It was something to do in the park, and an excuse to get out of the hot Florida sun. My statement is simply backed up by what attractions had lines and what attractions people were running too when the gates dropped. It doesn’t take data to know GMR was not a must do for most guests. If people were going on this ride in the past few years, it was because there was little to do at HS.

With that being said I’m always open to listening if you have actual data that shows GMR was a popular attraction. Please share.
Honestly, if you have data that 30 something and unders were screaming to ride this attraction once again, please share. More of a ride for the Grandpas and Grandmas remembering yesteryear. Nothing wrong with that either.

It doesn’t take data to tell you this ride was not attracting new guests into the park. Normally when people say show proof its really just them trying to stop a conversation. This is just common sense that a GMR type experience was past its prime.

IMO this new ride is a much better fit for younger generations and fits much better into the direction of the park. It just fits the mentality of the newer generations for better or worse that’s up to the guest. Btw I’m 45, and prefer this ride. GMR was great for its time but hokey as heck.

Tonto

It was not a walk on attraction when I would visit. Consistently waited about 25-35 minutes in the last few years of operation. I know this because I would normally wait standby since I would always pick other attractions for Fastpass.

Last time I rode The Great Movie Ride in Spring 2017, I waited about 35 minutes in standby.
What else was there to do in the park? Like I said. Different Strokes for different folks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With that being said I’m always open to listening if you have actual data that shows GMR was a popular attraction. Please share..
Pretty sure I have done on these boards in the past. No one here’s denying (or very few would) GMR needed a large update. That’s largely the reason this happened.

Please don’t rely on queue lengths to approximate a rides popularity. It’s been discussed to death why that doesn’t work.

Tonto

I was just commenting on something you said that was incorrect. I’m well aware that there was not much else to do in the park at the time.
It’s not incorrect. I walked on this ride several times. I go 3-4 times a year. Were there times when the park was crowded with nothing else to do that there were minimal lines? Sure. Just an observation on the times when I was there. A 25-35 minute line is not a reason to keep an attraction especially when the park only had a few attractions at that time. I never saw anyone run to this attraction during a rope drop in the past decade.

Tonto

Pretty sure I have done on these boards in the past. No one here’s denying (or very few would) GMR needed a large update. That’s largely the reason this happened.

Please don’t rely on queue lengths to approximate a rides popularity. It’s been discussed to death why that doesn’t work.
I understand and respect your thoughts on the topic. Personally, I’m just happy with the current state of HS, as I think they can build in a new cohesive direction with the new attractions that have been added.
These are just my opinions. You know what they say about those. haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom