Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Magenta Panther

297.png

I heard 101 Dalmatians Street was received positively in Europe and the UK. Also where were you when "101 Dalmatians: The Series" was around?

I thought it sucked too, frankly. Seriously, don't you furries have any standards?

cookiee_munster

So apologies if this has already been covered in the 226 pages, but I don't have the strength to read through this entire thread...

Ok, so my biggest gripe about this attraction is not necessarily about the attraction its self. It’s about the outside... If the park is taking less of a movie/studio/production direction why on earth is the Chinese theatre staying? I don't get it. I know because of the whole historical importance thing associated with red carpet premiers but how many people under the age of 25 would actually know what this building represents? A better thing would have been to have replaced it with the Carthay Circle Theatre at least that seems to have more of a connection with Disney.

It just seems like a one step forward and two steps back kind of move regarding this attraction and the future identity of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So apologies if this has already been covered in the 226 pages, but I don't have the strength to read through this entire thread...

Ok, so my biggest gripe about this attraction is not necessarily about the attraction its self. It’s about the outside... If the park is taking less of a movie/studio/production direction why on earth is the Chinese theatre staying? I don't get it. I know because of the whole historical importance thing associated with red carpet premiers but how many people under the age of 25 would actually know what this building represents? A better thing would have been to have replaced it with the Carthay Circle Theatre at least that seems to have more of a connection with Disney.

It just seems like a one step forward and two steps back kind of move regarding this attraction and the future identity of the park.

While one may not agree with it, this seems to be the direction WDW is taking with DHS:

Rather than being in (or pretending to be in) a "working studio" as if you are on tour of an Old Hollywood back lot and enter the studios buildings in which filming is taking place and you learn how movie magic happens; DHS is a place where you can "ride the movie," in that you enter the movie and, ideally, become a part of the story.

So, "studios" no longer refer to buildings in which movies and TV are filmed, but to the "production studios" that make movies (Disney Studios, Disney Animation Studios, LucasFilm Studios, Pixar Studios, Marvel Studios, Fox Studios).

The public space is still themed to Hollywood at various time periods. But the major lands and the rides/attractions are themed to a specific IP/movie/TV shows that you magically enter.

So, with regard to your gripe, what is happening with MMRR is that you are in L.A./Hollywood, and you go to the Chinese Theater in order to see a Mickey Mouse short, which is where Mickey Mouse films once premiered. And then, as you're watching the short, you magically enter the story and are part of the short itself.

999th Happy Haunt

While one may not agree with it, this seems to be the direction WDW is taking with DHS:

Rather than being in (or pretending to be in) a "working studio" as if you are on tour of an Old Hollywood back lot and enter the studios buildings in which filming is taking place and you learn how movie magic happens; DHS is a place where you can "ride the movie," in that you enter the movie and, ideally, become a part of the story.

So, "studios" no longer refer to buildings in which movies and TV are filmed, but to the "production studios" that make movies (Disney Studios, Disney Animation Studios, LucasFilm Studios, Pixar Studios, Marvel Studios, Fox Studios).

The public space is still themed to Hollywood at various time periods. But the major lands and the rides/attractions are themed to a specific IP/movie/TV shows that you magically enter.

So, with regard to your gripe, what is happening with MMRR is that you are in L.A./Hollywood, and you go to the Chinese Theater in order to see a Mickey Mouse short, which is where Mickey Mouse films once premiered. And then, as you're watching the short, you magically enter the story and are part of the short itself.
A Great Movie *Park*, if you will

yensidtlaw1969

If you base everything only off of what the 25 and younger group knows you’ll lose a lot of what makes the parks amazing.

As a 5 year old I didn’t know what the real Chinese Theater was, but it didn’t stand in the way of The Great Movie Ride being one of my absolute favorite attractions in WDW. Neither did the fact that I was familiar with perhaps only 4 of the movies represented in the ride.

I’d say with a high degree of certainty that Walt Disney had many more movies premiere at Grauman’s than he did at Carthay Circle. And replacing it with Carthay wouldn’t solve your problem of the sub-25 group supposedly not knowing the Chinese Theater. The only reason anyone outside of the Disney Archives knows the Carthay Circle Theater today is because they built it at DCA. The connection of the real building to Disney history is relatively short-lived and far less entrenched than the Chinese Theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom