Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Spash007

Count me as one of them. But that wasn't my point. Just that Disney has never used the Chinese Theater as the park symbol. Before the hat it was the Earful Tower. I remember pans of the different park icons back in the 90s on the Magical World of Disney - it would pan from Spaceship Earth, to.... The Earful Tower.

Yep, my parents have artwork of the three icons they bought in the 90's on the wall, and it's the Earful tower.

Except the Chinese Theater is a copy of a real building.

It's not an unique Disney structure, like Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, Tree of Life (and Hollywood Tower Hotel)

It's also pretty small compared to all the other icons

That brings up an interesting point - I wonder if there's a licensing issue with the Chinese Theater that they can't use it in marketing materials, or would have to pay some sort of royalty fee if they did.

TBrass84

Count me as one of them. But that wasn't my point. Just that Disney has never used the Chinese Theater as the park symbol. Before the hat it was the Earful Tower. I remember pans of the different park icons back in the 90s on the Magical World of Disney - it would pan from Spaceship Earth, to.... The Earful Tower.

Gotcha, I’m finally following you lol

DisneyRoy

Yep, my parents have artwork of the three icons they bought in the 90's on the wall, and it's the Earful tower.

That brings up an interesting point - I wonder if there's a licensing issue with the Chinese Theater that they can't use it in marketing materials, or would have to pay some sort of royalty fee if they did.
I think that was part of the discussion on the hat removal thread for a while. There's only 700 pages or so to sift through if you're interested.

Brer Oswald

If the opening of this truly is after August, then the decision to bump up the unfinished GE to 08/29 truly baffles me. Everything was set into a planned schedule for a reason. It’s not a decision that is helping capacity in any way. I understand why they’d do it from a business perspective, but they still could have pulled off a tiered opening after Runaway Railway opened.

They’d honestly be smart to delay this attraction till next year IF it is opening after GE. To me it just seems like a waste of a card to play at the time it is currently scheduled for (Fall 2019). You don’t get new multimillion E Tickets every year.

KBLovedDisney

If the opening of this truly is after August, then the decision to bump up the unfinished GE to 08/29 truly baffles me. Everything was set into a planned schedule for a reason. It’s not a decision that is helping capacity in any way. I understand why they’d do it from a business perspective, but they still could have pulled off a tiered opening after Runaway Railway opened.

They’d honestly be smart to delay this attraction till next year IF it is opening after GE. To me it just seems like a waste of a card to play at the time it is currently scheduled for (Fall 2019). You don’t get new multimillion E Tickets every year.
In response to that though, there might be others who are not looking forward to Star Wars stuff and can't wait to see the new Mickey ride. So they actually have two things opening that are totally separate in genre for two different kinds of peoples.

Brer Oswald

In response to that though, there might be others who are not looking forward to Star Wars stuff and can't wait to see the new Mickey ride. So they actually have two things opening that are totally separate in genre for two different kinds of peoples.
Oh I get that. I’m in that group myself. But a big new ride is a big new ride. Rides get extra attention from everyone when they’re new. It’s a shame Runaway Railway May not get that attention because it likely deserves it.

seascape

Going back to Iger's comment about SWGE having a positive effect on this years earnings show that the early opening is not a surprise to the top management. It is also a response to the new HP ride, even though it is a replacement. Attendance will have a big bump this year and next year due to SWGE abd then there is 2021 and 2022 for WDW's 50th and the 2023 for the company's 100th. Expect to see more and more announcements. I am still wondering what the Angels are doing? If they move look for a 3rd gate on Anaheim. That would be a great 100th birthday present for the fans.

eddie104

Going back to Iger's comment about SWGE having a positive effect on this years earnings show that the early opening is not a surprise to the top management. It is also a response to the new HP ride, even though it is a replacement. Attendance will have a big bump this year and next year due to SWGE abd then there is 2021 and 2022 for WDW's 50th and the 2023 for the company's 100th. Expect to see more and more announcements. I am still wondering what the Angels are doing? If they move look for a 3rd gate on Anaheim. That would be a great 100th birthday present for the fans.
Your post is funny 😄 (Anaheim 3rd Gate)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just that Disney has never used the Chinese Theater as the park symbol.

And you'd be wrong... It's been used alot as an icon for the park. But as demonstrated everytime this topic comes up.... they've flip flopped on this so many times its not worth saying one thing is 'right' and all others are wrong. It's a questions of when/where... because it's varied.

mikejs78

Premium Member
And you'd be wrong... It's been used alot as an icon for the park. But as demonstrated everytime this topic comes up.... they've flip flopped on this so many times its not worth saying one thing is 'right' and all others are wrong. It's a questions of when/where... because it's varied.
Out of curiosity, do you have some example promotional material or merchandise that has the Chinese Theater as the park icon? I'm genually curious, as I don't remember it ever being used, especially when representing MGM/DHS among the other park icons...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Out of curiosity, do you have some example promotional material or merchandise that has the Chinese Theater as the park icon? I'm genually curious, as I don't remember it ever being used, especially when representing MGM/DHS among the other park icons...

It was often used in silhouette form along with a gradient color silhouette too IIRC. It combined with the spotlight pattern was common iconography associated with the park. It was also used a lot as a photo representing the park on materials like park maps. The Mickey/MGM Lion logo was the most common usage in text/logo form. The Earful tower was used heavily early, but it confused everyone because you didn't see it in the park like the other big icons you're used to associating with the park. The Chinese Theatre became a popular icon given it's weenie status on the main drag before the millennium celebration brought the hat in. When Disney changed the name, the new typeset hollywood studios label replaced the mickey+lion graphic and seemed to be the most popular used. Then we started seeing the ToT image being used a lot after the hat was gone.

Tick Tock

Just that Disney has never used the Chinese Theater as the park symbol.
I wonder if there's a licensing issue with the Chinese Theater that they can't use it in marketing materials, or would have to pay some sort of royalty fee if they did.

Last edited:

Skibum1970

I would presume it was very likely that when Disney picked the Aug 29 date for SWL, they already knew what their opening capabilities were for MMRR, and then chose the Aug 29 date because they knew they could get MMRR open before then.

It would be best case scenario to have it open in June to spread out the FP+ bookings and to help with July 4th crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom