Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Just4Pics

I just don't understand why they couldn't put this elsewhere. Yes Mickey deserves a ride, but why get rid of GMR. This is frustrating and upsetting but a little exciting at the same time.

The GMR requires a cast member on each train. That means it's costly to operate. If they kept it they would have to update it because it would look very old compared to all the new stuff. That's even more money on top of all the new stuff they're building.

I wish they had built this as an addition rather than a replacement, but that's the reason why.

Andy_0410

While as we kinda knew GMR was highly likely to go and I am excited and looking forward to the new Hollywood studios I just wanted to ride it one more time but I will be a month too late.
Appreciate this is completely selfish as will always disappointed someone with refurbs and closures for new attractions but only one months notice? I have been planning my next Disney trip for 18 months

thepirateking

I have seen some of the latest mock ups and proof of concepts as well as concept art and trust me when I say that most everyone that is negative on this ride will be eating their words. I do agree that the style of Mickey is the wrong choice but it is a mandate from corporate.

Thank you. This gives me great hope!

Madame Medusa

I have seen some of the latest mock ups and proof of concepts as well as concept art and trust me when I say that most everyone that is negative on this ride will be eating their words. I do agree that the style of Mickey is the wrong choice but it is a mandate from corporate.
I've heard similar things, though I LOVE the style of Mickey and prefer it to the "standard"

MerlinTheGoat

I can only form an opinion based on the publicly released art and video clips online (the same stuff everyone else has access to). I definitely trust you and know you have access to a lot of information the rest of us haven't seen. I so very much want this ride to be good, so I will be happy to eat my words.

But from what Disney has shown off publicly thus far, I am quite unimpressed and in fact very disappointed. Even on its own merits (new build and not replacing GMR), i'm just not seeing anything to get excited about.

@MansionButler84 mentioned in the other topic that Disney botched the announcement and did a horrible job at showing it off. I hope this is true, but without seeing what you've seen, some of us are struggling to understand the merits.

I can look past the choice of art style if the ride is good (I even like some aspects of it). But from what has been described and previewed, it seems a LOT like another Ratatouille or Toy Story Mania. "2.5D" sounds like those multi-layered video screens seen in recent Disney and Universal attractions (Navi River, queue for Harry Potter, Peter Pan Shanghai etc). The test clip they showed off from their warehouse test looked like...well...a large empty warehouse but with digitally mapped projections on the walls...

This will be a controversial opinion, but i'm not crazy about the new POTC at Shanghai. It looks fun and solid, but more video than i'm comfortable with. At least there are also a lot of well designed sets and a couple of nice animatronics. But I far prefer the original concept at DL, DLP, TDL or even WDW. Same with Gringotts and Kong (which also have a few very nicely done physical scenes). It is also a minor gripe with Navi River (which is at least mostly physical). No matter how good and well executed video becomes, i've never been satisfied with it a a substitute for practical show scenes.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

I really love the Potato land short. I wish people gave the cartoons a chance and ignore the gross out bits.
Some are very entertaining. I definitely prefer the originals, but I love what they are doing with a different edgier take on the classic Mickey Cartoons.

I'm very optimistic for this ride, and like everyone else, GMR is my only gripe about this. It has to be good.

Magenta Panther

That's the new Mickey Mouse ride? THAT?!

Is this a joke????

You know what that THING makes me think of? You guys remember those games that came with your copy of the Lion King and Snow White? You know, Timon and Pumbaa's Safari and Dopey's Wild Mine Ride? And remember how cheap-looking and stupid they were?

Welp, that's pretty much what this new Mickey Mouse ride is. Instead of an iconic new ride based on Disney's signature character with great AAs a la Pirates, what we're getting is an overblown, poorly-located DVD extra!

One can imagine how this joke came about:

ROBERT IGER: We gotta do something about that Great Movie Ride. It costs us a fortune in maintenance and it's showing its age.

LACKEY: Well, we could always gut it and stick in an ill-fitting IP like we did with Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy, sir. Of course, we did get a lot of complaints and some bad publicity doing that...

ROBERT IGER: Hmmm, yeah. Tell you what, stick Mickey Mouse in there. Those true-believer saps can't complain about that.

LACKEY: Yes, sir. (Starts to leave)

ROBERT IGER: AND MAKE IT CHEAP!

LACKEY: (hurrying out the door) Yes, SAH, Mr. Iger, SAH!

Look, I happen to like the new Mickey Mouse shorts. I've watched every one Disney's made so far, and with only one or two exceptions, I think they're pretty good. And I know that someone here mentioned that the new ride would feature that particular incarnation of the Mouse. But for some reason, it didn't sink in that THAT version would be the whole show. Frankly, a little of that style goes a long way. (Mickey's drawn off-model far too often in those shorts for my taste. I know it's done for laughs, but still. Why mess so much with the world's greatest character design?) And it should NOT be the definitive version of Mickey for the only ride in all the parks that's built around him! It looks chintzy and tacky. And I agree with another poster here about Goofy in those cartoons. He IS awful. That was brought home to me again when, during the presentation, a clip featured a scene from the cartoon that focuses on Goofy's buttcrack. For crying out loud, Disney, put some pants on that Dawg! Oh, you say that's the way he was originally portrayed, without pants? Well if authenticity is your reason, then your Mickey shouldn't have gloves! Or shoes!

2.jpg

And another thing...how is this ride going to fit into its venue in any way that makes sense? Think about it...you walk into an elegant, glamorous Golden-Age-of-Hollywood movie palace, and the next thing you know you're riding through a tacky TV cartoon. How does this mesh thematically? How does this justify gutting a ride that was for ALL ages and lived up to its lavish exterior? This proposed abomination is a desecration both to that beautiful building and Mickey himself.

Oh well, guess TDO had to save a few bucks because it's spending so lavishly on Star Wars LAND and the Star Wars HOTEL. Not on Walt Disney's greatest character. Why should they spend serious coin on him? He's genuine Disney, part of the Disney vault, or as Iger undoubtedly thinks of it: "That old junk!"

Screw you, Iger. The Mickey ride was the only thing about D23 (that I watched live) I was looking forward to, and it SUCKS. I thought the Guardians intrusion was horrible. This is sacrilege. I can't believe TDO nowadays. I can't believe that so many so-called talented people have such lousy taste. And wasn't it just wonderful of them to use a clip of good ol' Walt to try to justify their crappy priorities.

That's all I have to say. That's a wrap. I need a beer. Thank you and good night.

brb1006

Is this a joke????

You know what that THING makes me think of? You guys remember those games that came with your copy of the Lion King and Snow White? You know, Timon and Pumbaa's Safari and Dopey's Wild Mine Ride? And remember how cheap-looking and stupid they were?

Welp, that's pretty much what this new Mickey Mouse ride is. Instead of an iconic new ride based on Disney's signature character with great AAs a la Pirates, what we're getting is an overblown, poorly-located DVD extra!

ROBERT IGER: We gotta do something about that Great Movie Ride. It costs us a fortune in maintenance and it's showing its age.

LACKEY: Well, we could always gut it and stick in an ill-fitting IP like we did with Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy, sir. Of course, we did get a lot of complaints and some bad publicity doing that...

ROBERT IGER: Hmmm, yeah. Tell you what, stick Mickey Mouse in there. Those true-believer saps can't complain about that.

Look, I happen to like the new Mickey Mouse shorts. I've watched every one Disney's made so far, and with only one or two exceptions, I think they're pretty good. And I know that someone here mentioned that the new ride would feature that particular incarnation of the Mouse. But for some reason, it didn't sink in that THAT version would be the whole show. Frankly, a little of that style goes a long way. (Mickey's drawn off-model far too often in those shorts for my taste. I know it's done for laughs, but still. Why mess so much with the world's greatest character design?) And it should NOT be the definitive version of Mickey for the only ride in all the parks that's built around him! It looks chintzy and tacky. And I agree with another poster here about Goofy in those cartoons. He IS awful. That was brought home to me again when, during the presentation, a clip featured a scene from the cartoon that focuses on Goofy's buttcrack. For crying out loud, Disney, put some pants on that Dawg! Oh, you say that's the way he was originally portrayed, without pants? Well if authenticity is your reason, then your Mickey shouldn't have gloves! Or shoes!

2.jpg

And another thing...how is this ride going to fit into its venue in any way that makes sense? Think about it...you walk into an elegant, glamorous Golden-Age-of-Hollywood movie palace, and the next thing you know you're riding through a tacky TV cartoon. How does this mesh thematically? How does this justify gutting a ride that was for ALL ages and lived up to its lavish exterior? This proposed abomination is a desecration both to that beautiful building and Mickey himself.

Oh well, guess TDO had to save a few bucks because it's spending so lavishly on Star Wars LAND and the Star Wars HOTEL. Not on Walt Disney's greatest character. Why should they spend serious coin on him? He's genuine Disney, part of the Disney vault, or as Iger undoubtedly thinks of it: "That old junk!"

Screw you, Iger. The Mickey ride was the only thing about D23 (that I watched live) I was looking forward to, and it SUCKS. I thought the Guardians intrusion was horrible. This is sacrilege. I can't believe TDO nowadays. I can't believe that so many so-called talented people have such lousy taste. And wasn't it just wonderful of them to use a clip of good ol' Walt to try to justify their crappy priorities.

That's all I have to say. That's a wrap. I need a beer. Thank you and good night.
I do find the new technology interesting.

Daveeeeed

Is this a joke????

2.jpg

It's been said by insiders that they did a bad job of showing how good it will be.

wedenterprises

100% agree. This is the dark horse from today. This attraction is going to be mind blowing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom