Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Brer Oswald

Is someone from universal designing the new Mickey ride? It's the ugliest version of Mickey Mouse ever conceived.
No they aren't using this design:
navigation_mickeymouseclubhouse_disneyjunior_7844134d.png

Thank goodness! :)

mickEblu

Does anyone find it weird that they are going with the train concept for this ride? Trains, and runaway Mine cars, they are very CASTLE PARK. Of all the themes that would be one of the last I would have chosen. Why must they homogenize everything? Not every Park at WDW or anywhere for that matter need be the MK or Disneyland. I would have to liked to see something like we show up for some movie premier> something goes wrong>we magically get sucked into Mickeys world / the shorts > then kind of go an adventure through the evolution of Mickey, from Steamboat Willy to present day. Within this adventure from Past to present, could have lied the original story line with a plot to get Mickey back to present day as we run away from (insert bad guy) or because time is running out.

Mickey is too iconic to only portray him on the attraction with his modern look. They should have ended the ride like that. Who is at WDI writing this crap? Can you guys give me a shot please?

On a side note, wouldn't my approach also sell more merch? More Mickeys to buy not just the modern one.

Last edited:

britain

Does anyone find it weird that they are going with the train concept for this ride? Trains, and runaway Mine cars, they are very CASTLE PARK. Of all the themes that would be one of the last I would have chosen. Why must they homogenize everything? Not every Park at WDW or anywhere for that matter need be the MK or Disneyland. I would have to liked to see something like we show up for some movie premier> something goes wrong>we magically get sucked into Mickeys world / the shorts > then kind of go an adventure through the evolution of Mickey, from Steamboat Willy to present day. Within this adventure from Past to present,?could have lied the original story line with a plot to get Mickey back to present day as we run away from (insert bad guy) or because time is running out.

Mickey is too iconic to only portray him on the attraction with his modern look. They should have ended the ride like that. Who is at WDI writing this crap? Can you guys give me a shot please?

On a side note, wouldn't my approach also sell more merch? More Mickeys to buy not just the modern one.

The train idea is to execute the very cartoony premise of a line of train cars derailing and then speeding along independently of one another (with trackless vehicles). Remember the cartoon we are entering is Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. You are correct that it's very castle park, but also very Mickey cartoon.

mickEblu

The train idea is to execute the very cartoony premise of a line of train cars derailing and then speeding along independently of one another (with trackless vehicles). Remember the cartoon we are entering is Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. You are correct that it's very castle park, but also very Mickey cartoon.

I think they could have been a little more creative.

mickEblu

At least wait until we finally see concept art or what the ride vehicles will be like before picturing how the attraction will be like.

I don't need to see anything. I think going with the train concept was the wrong choice. The Castle parks have enough of the train thing going on. That's not say that it won't be a fun ride.

Amidala

I don't need to see anything. I think going with the train concept was the wrong choice. The Castle parks have enough of the train thing going on. That's not say that it won't be a fun ride.

I think simple concepts often lend themselves to really creative & inspired execution. And as people have said, this won't be a "train ride," it will be a dark ride w/ individual, trackless ride vehicles...which suggests to me that this ride will look and feel very differently from Big Thunder and other coaster train rides.

TBH, I still don't understand why people are so attached to the "Mickey Through the Years/Great Mickey Ride" concept. It sounds fine on paper, but I'm still pretty convinced it would come across as a pale imitation "Disney version" of GMR in practice...I just don't think it would be a smart move to replace the very beloved GMR w/ yet another linear dark ride that passes through a bunch of different scenarios or time periods w/o really engaging w/ any of them in depth. Whether this ride is well received or not, at least it'll stand on its own merits.

Welp, the deed has been done. By now the archives will have begun clearing out the things worth a darn, and in a week, America will be sifting through (plastic) Sigourney ashes. MMRR will spark debates and force a serious consideration of attraction labels. Yes this ride will have moving figures (arguably animatronics) and (some) three dimensional backdrops, but most of these things wont have the colorful details on them, but they will be projected onto them. This ride aims to send you into a cartoon, and it will do that, just in a different way than any parks have done before. Also, when you think about it, this ride will be zippy. A ride space from load to Western could be traversed in under a minute.

This is super interesting, thanks! Curious about what you mean by "arguably animatronics". Are these figures of Mickey, Minnie and the gang that function differently from typical AAs? Or are they just not as "fully realized"? Not sure yet how I feel about the idea of projections over stand-alone set pieces, but I was definitely intrigued by the preview Chapek showed at D23.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

Um, no. There's a big difference between older versions of Goofy and the current Goofy who looks like he was drawn by a mental patient. They went too far.

Whoever gave the green light for Goofy to be drawn like that should have been fired from Walt Disney Studios.

Yeah, you said the same thing before about Mickey. No new material?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Um, no. There's a big difference between older versions of Goofy and the current Goofy who looks like he was drawn by a mental patient. They went too far.

Yeah, you said the same thing before about Mickey. No new material?

That's rich coming from someone who floods a few select threads with the same complaints over and over again.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At least wait until we finally see concept art or what the ride vehicles will be like before picturing how the attraction will be like.
Ride vehicles will be like GMR vehicles that shrunk in the wash.

To all intents the train will look just like that at load; four GMR theatre cars but around half the size. Plus a fifth for reasons I won't go into yet.

Tavernacle12

Ride vehicles will be like GMR vehicles that shrunk in the wash.

To all intents the train will look just like that at load; four GMR theatre cars but around half the size. Plus a fifth for reasons I won't go into yet.

The fifth wouldn't happen to be the train engine with Mickey and Minnie on it that, presumably, gets dislodged so the rest of the train is a 'runaway' would it? I imagine if there's no guests on the fifth it's being used in the ride's plot somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom