Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Advertisement
You seem to be forgetting the constant on and off of the tour guides. Plus the actors switching.

You there, get outta the car, missy.... Wait, where ya going, toots? You forgot to sanitize your station on the way out!

Figments Friend

It's probably already been mentioned, but the queue outside for this Attraction can be brutal on a bright warm day.
Be prepared.

Experienced this today.
Twice.
Queue was huge ( 80 minute time posting, actual wait 50 minutes ) with periods of concrete baking in the sun...but there are breeze blowing fans and nice shaded areas under the trees and umbrellas.
Just a forewarning.

My thoughts on the Attraction?

I went in completely 'spoiler free', except for the pre-show which I watched on YouTube prior to arrival since i had been told it is not currently operating.
Too bad, as it's a fun way to come into the start of the Attraction.

'Spoiler free' opinions -

It's .....okay.
Didn't feel it was worth the hour long wait and the hype...but your milage may vary.
I'm a old school WED-head, so my thoughts in it may not mesh with the majority.
But I gotta say, my first experience after riding this left me cold.
It was loud, it was brash, it was slightly unsettling........and kinda meh for me.
The 'show' itself wasn't what was being presented, it was basically just an excuse to show off the hip 'new' trackless ride vehicle system.
So the real star of the 'show' was the ride vehicles....and their interaction with the screens.
Whoopie....
Big rooms filled with 'screens'...and synchronized ride vehicles.
Meh.

Wasn't a fan the first time around.
Disapointed somewhat.

Decided to give it another try later in the day.
This time the wait was about 30 or so minutes, so gave it another go before passing my final thoughts on the experience.
It's wacky fun....but it's still kinda 'meh' for me.
Just not overly crazy about it, but I did enjoy it slightly more the second time around.
So maybe this one will grow on me.
Goofy is the star here, for sure.

For now, it is upsetting that this much hyped Attractions replaced 'The Great Movie Ride'.
They should have built this 'Runaway Railway' in a different space and left 'TGMR' in the Chinese Theater.
But I digress....that's has probably already been stated by others.

-

Last edited:

mickEblu

It's probably already been mentioned, but the queue outside for this Attraction can be brutal on a bright warm day.
Be prepared.

Experienced this today.
Twice.
Queue was huge ( 80 minute time posting, actual wait 50 minutes ) with periods of concrete baking in the sun...but there are breeze blowing fans and nice shaded areas under the trees and umbrellas.
Just a forewarning.

I went in completely 'spoiler free', except for the pre-show which I watched on YouTube prior to arrival since i had been told it is not currently operating.

It's .....okay.
Didn't feel it was worth the hour long wait and the hype...but your milage may vary.
It was loud, it was brash, it was slightly unsettling........and kinda meh for me.
The 'show' itself wasn't what was being presented, it was basically just an excuse to show off the hip 'new' trackless ride vehicle system.
So the real star of the 'show' was the ride vehicles....and their interaction with the screens.
Whoopie....
Meh.

Disapointed somewhat.

This time the wait was about 30 or so minutes, so gave it another go before passing my final thoughts on the experience.
Just not overly crazy about it, but I did enjoy it slightly more the second time around.

For now, it is upsetting that this much hyped Attractions replaced 'The Great Movie Ride'.
They should have built this 'Runaway Railway' in a different space and let 'TGMR' in the Chinese Theater.

-

This is pretty much my take from viewing the ride throughs.

It’s official: they need to retire the trackless ride system. Hunny Hunt was an outlier.

mickEblu

I don’t think they need to retire the system. They just need to utilize it better.

I know. It’s just been so many fails in a row I’m starting to wonder if Hunny Hunt (and to a lesser extent Mystic Manor) was an exception to the rule. If you see something fail 3-4 times in a row do you want them to try for # 5 with the next IP or try something else?

Giss Neric

Be prepared.

Experienced this today.
Twice.
Just a forewarning.

It's .....okay.
Whoopie....
Meh.

Disapointed somewhat.

They should have built this 'Runaway Railway' in a different space and let 'TGMR' in the Chinese Theater.

-
I love how "meh" is generally being used to describe everything nowadays. It's like you don't hate it but don't love it either but more leaning towards hate it. I think it's a lazy way to describe things.

What cars were you seated at the first and second time? It plays a big factor too. I think 3 is the best then 1, then 2 and 4 is the worst.

Brer Oswald

I know. It’s just been so many fails in a row I’m starting to wonder if Hunny Hunt (and to a lesser extent Mystic Manor) was an exception to the rule. If you see something fail 3-4 times in a row do you want them to try for # 5 with the next IP or try something else?
I haven’t been on any of these trackless attractions, but from the POVs, Hunny Hunt is the only one that feels like a “lived in” world, in the same way that PotC, HM, and Splash feel. The suspension of disbelief is in full effect.

mickEblu

I haven’t been on any of these trackless attractions, but from the POVs, Hunny Hunt is the only one that feels like a “lived in” world, in the same way that PotC, HM, and Splash feel. The suspension of disbelief is in full effect.

Exactly. I kind of wish “lived in world” would be the starting point for every dark ride in development and then work from there. I think that plus charm/ intimacy (or at least charm/ intimacy in combination with larger show scenes) are the main ingredients to a great dark ride.

aladdin2007

Be prepared.

Experienced this today.
Twice.
Just a forewarning.

It's .....okay.
Whoopie....
Meh.

Disapointed somewhat.

-

I could not agree more , you stated everything I have been thinking. I walked out thinking what was that!!! Someone was really high on something when they came up with this thing. It was just, I had no idea what I had just experienced. Tech wise it was impressive, it was super colorful and almost felt la la land like towards the end, but there was absolutely no cohesive story or point to it at all. no point!! Its just there as a trip through insanity and that's it. I was glad I waited in the line once, but I wont again, even though I wouldnt mind riding it again to try make sense of something in there. Imagineering doesn't seem to want to follow any story formula anymore, they have lost all knack for that. Now its about just throwing whatever wherever together and poor justification for placement and point. which for here was no point to this attraction lol, thats all I keep thinking. I do think its perfect for Toontown where its going in Disneyland, its just too bad we could not have had a new permanent Toontown land in this park with this in it. I want to see them do a classic dark ride again, in the vein of snow white or roger rabbit, toad, or even monsters inc etc....but I guess the chance of that ever happening again is done and out the window.

Brer Oswald

Be prepared.

Experienced this today.
Twice.
Just a forewarning.

It's .....okay.
Whoopie....
Meh.

Disapointed somewhat.

-
There isn’t a single IP I’m more invested in than Mickey Mouse. I have watched every single theatrical cartoon several times. I have read all of the comics from 1930-1960. I have watched all of the new shorts. My room is filled to the brim with Mickey memorabilia. You can’t go one room in my house without seeing reference to the Mouse. He’s been a natural part of the family my entire life.

I have only watched the POVs, but I can safely say that, as a Mickey Mouse fan, the ride is a major disappointment from both a story and an environmental perspective (and quite frankly, a musical perspective as well). This is not the love letter to the Mouse that I had hoped for.

The bare minimum characters are present. The generic, bare environments look like they could have come straight out of a bland 2D Mario Bros game. The music is only at Center stage during the very beginning of the ride. The backgrounds are flat, with none of the detail or artistry of the best cartoons. Peg Leg Pete, a crucial villain in shorts of past and present, barely makes a cameo.

Even the queue, which should be filled with artifacts and memorabilia of “Mickey Mania” (the era in which Mickey was more popular than any movie star), seems to have nothing emphasizing the importance of the Mouse. It’s the Chinese Theatre for crying out loud! Make this seem like an important event, and not something I can turn on Disney + one Saturday morning in bed.

And yet, I’m sure it’s a fun experience. It looks fun. But the character that put them on the map deserves more than a fun ride. Especially if you’re putting it in the Chinese Theatre.

I’m always going to compare this to “Mickey’s Gala Premiere”. A similar story premise, but it actually put emphasis on Mickey as a huge star. Although, the fake cartoon “Gallopin Romance” was just as boring as “Perfect Picnic”. But at least Pete was the villain.

Jones14

I can say, having ridden a few times, it is a much better experience in person than any video I’ve seen would suggest.

It’s the E-ticket version of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride with some Cartoon Spin thrown in for good measure. If that’s your cup of tea, you’ll love it.

Also, the music felt totally front and center in almost every scene. It’s the most ‘musical’ attraction they’ve built in WDW since Splash, in my opinion.

Brer Oswald

I can say, having ridden a few times, it is a much better experience in person than any video I’ve seen would suggest.

It’s the E-ticket version of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride with some Cartoon Spin thrown in for good measure. If that’s your cup of tea, you’ll love it.

Also, the music felt totally front and center in almost every scene. It’s the most ‘musical’ attraction they’ve built in WDW since Splash, in my opinion.
I have no doubt it’s a better experience in person. I’m simply judging the content (if that makes any sense). Technical effects are great, but they’re only a supplement to the experience. To me at least.

Figments Friend

I love how "meh" is generally being used to describe everything nowadays. It's like you don't hate it but don't love it either but more leaning towards hate it. I think it's a lazy way to describe things.

What cars were you seated at the first and second time? It plays a big factor too. I think 3 is the best then 1, then 2 and 4 is the worst.

When I use the word 'meh' to describe a Attraction experience, it sums up being neither wowed by it but not outright hating it.
It's....'meh'...and a 'middle of the road' kind of feeling.
Neither wowed, yet not hated.
Just....well...'meh!'

Similar words, perhaps more descriptive -
Mediocre.
Blah.
Passable.
Slightly disappointing.
Mildly entertaining.
Mildly mediocre.
Mild, in general.

Regarding which cars I was seated in, first ride through I was located in 1.
Second ride through it was 3.
I preferred the visual view from 1 more then 3.

They really should rename it 'Goofy's Runaway Railway'.
He's the star here...I would say the most entertaining aspect was watching his animated self in the train engine react to his surroundings during the beginning and at the conclusion.

It IS a wacky , fun experience ....I can get that this was the intention.
There were several moments that make you smile and perhaps even chuckle a little bit ( visual animation ) but it goes by in a flash.
The Attraction however just didn't live up to the hype for me, but everyone's milage varies.
This one just didn't 'wow' me....but for a few minutes of random fun, it's worth experiencing for the curious.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I could not agree more , you stated everything I have been thinking. I walked out thinking what was that!!! Someone was really high on something when they came up with this thing. It was just, I had no idea what I had just experienced. Tech wise it was impressive, it was super colorful and almost felt la la land like towards the end, but there was absolutely no cohesive story or point to it at all. no point!! Its just there as a trip through insanity and that's it. I was glad I waited in the line once, but I wont again, even though I wouldnt mind riding it again to try make sense of something in there. Imagineering doesn't seem to want to follow any story formula anymore, they have lost all knack for that. Now its about just throwing whatever wherever together and poor justification for placement and point. which for here was no point to this attraction lol, thats all I keep thinking. I do think its perfect for Toontown where its going in Disneyland, its just too bad we could not have had a new permanent Toontown land in this park with this in it. I want to see them do a classic dark ride again, in the vein of snow white or roger rabbit, toad, or even monsters inc etc....but I guess the chance of that ever happening again is done and out the window.

I would say to try another ride through, as their IS a simplistic story to it.
As with many cartoon shorts, it's a basic story usually involving a simple plot point and 'righting the wrong'.

This particular Attraction shouldn't be looked at for 'deep, involved storytelling'.
'Runaway Railway' is meant to be a fun romp into a cartoon world, where craziness takes places and funny things happen.
It's meant to be totally random and off the wall.
I totally could see that...and it WAS indeed conveying 'wacky unexpected fun'.
But for me, there was something 'missing' and the floor to ceiling screens and projection effect faces of the characters just left me kinda cold, among other things.
But there were fun moments.

I can fully understand why others are really loving this experience though.
Not something that struck my fancy, but I can see how it can appeal to others.

And yes, I fully agree this Attraction will be a good fit for Toontown at Disneyland Park in sunny California.
It will likely be a big hit and a welcome addition.

-

Last edited:
Top Bottom