Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Here is the live stream of the dedication ceremony for Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

Can't wait to experience this! Watching the dedication, got me even more excited about being able to get our FP's for this ride just this morning.

Joining this community has given me umprecedented access to all things Disney. Thank you @wdwmagic !

UNCgolf

Is it just me, or is this sorta like Mr. Toads Wild, with everything projected? I haven’t watched a full Pov, and won’t. But it just seems like a souped up C ticket with trackless vehicles

It looks like a great D ticket to me. I guess the trackless vehicles are what's supposed to push it to E status (I assume they consider it an E?), but I would love to see them build several more dark rides like this one -- trackless vehicles not necessary.

doctornick

I enjoyed Great Movie Ride but I don't have the nostalgia that others do for it. It was past its time in my opinion.

I liked GMR well enough, but don't really lament it being gone. The bigger issue for me is that the part still needs a crapload more attractions which sadly aren't happening any time soon. If they had converted GMR to MMRR while also building an Indiana Jones Land or adding a bunch or Pixar rides or such, I think it would have been fine. Instead, they did this replacement and seem to be satisfied that the park is fine.

awoogala

It looks like a great D ticket to me. I guess the trackless vehicles are what's supposed to push it to E status (I assume they consider it an E?), but I would love to see them build several more dark rides like this one -- trackless vehicles not necessary.
this. (I have not ridden it , or watched videos yet, but..)
trackless rides are not new or even revolutionary at all any more. years ago, I did the trackless ride at seaworld- penguins-something. it was..well, sad, and nothing. the ride is not about the ride system, ever. unless it really is NEW. trackless may be new for wdw, but it isn't new if you've been to any other amusement park in the last 10 years. Hoping the mickey/artwork/immersive emotional pull makes up for the "it's trackless, it's new, they'll love it" bit.

UNCgolf

trackless rides are not new or even revolutionary at all any more. years ago, I did the trackless ride at seaworld- penguins-something. it was..well, sad, and nothing. the ride is not about the ride system, ever. unless it really is NEW. trackless may be new for wdw, but it isn't new if you've been to any other amusement park in the last 10 years. Hoping the mickey/artwork/immersive emotional pull makes up for the "it's trackless, it's new, they'll love it" bit.

There are a couple of good scenes in this ride (I watched the POV earlier) that wouldn't be possible without the trackless vehicles, so I think they used them well.

But I also think you could build very similar rides without a trackless vehicle that would still be excellent, while being both cheaper and easier to operate (most likely). The scenes are so detailed and full of activity; that's what Disney needs to carry forward for new dark rides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I did the trackless ride at seaworld- penguins-something. it was..well, sad, and nothing.

Antarctica at SeaWorld is regarded as a horrible horrible ride. It is a poor use of trackless.

Pooh's Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, RotR, Rat, and MMRR are significantly better.

Which shows that it's not about screens or AAs or the ride system... it's about using them well.

Wildstar

Not sure if it's been covered or not but for a 200 dollar ticket this should have been made extra magic hours. At least with great movie ride it was made for all ages. Like Rise of the Resistance, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will NOT participate in Extra Magic Hours. Looking at the crowd calendar, we know Extra Magic Hours aren't offered very often at Hollywood Studios so this likely won't affect park touring on a noticeable level.17 hours ago

MrConbon

Not sure if it's been covered or not but for a 200 dollar ticket this should have been made extra magic hours. At least with great movie ride it was made for all ages. Like Rise of the Resistance, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will NOT participate in Extra Magic Hours. Looking at the crowd calendar, we know Extra Magic Hours aren't offered very often at Hollywood Studios so this likely won't affect park touring on a noticeable level.17 hours ago

As a new ride it most likely needs extra maintenance at night to ensure the ride operates smoothly for the day.

Wildstar

I would add this and take down another attraction or add this to magic kingdom app and have it count there. even if it's listed at Epcot haunted house is dead on arrival and apparently splash mountain is on life support.

Wildstar

By the way I tend to shoot from the hip and I hope to God 🙏 this attraction stays afloat unlike jungle cruise where everyone gets wet from excitement and takes a peaceful voyage for granite.

Jon81uk

Alien, John Wayne, wizard of Oz, singing in the rain? These are hardly unheard of films?? and if they are it should be our duty to educate and entertain people on the history.

Maybe they should add an educational history of film at Epcot as that is the educational park ;) (I'm not being 100% serious).

But in general the GMR was past its best. It could have been gutted and rebuilt, adding some new film classics and still celebrating the old stuff, but I imagine the chance of them getting all the negotiations sorted for this are a lot lower than 35 years ago and Disney themselves just don't have the classic live action films in their catalogue.

Also look at Universal Studios, that opened about the same time as Disney-MGM and pretty much the only original ride left is ET, things move on, tastes change, its not just about education, its about entertainment.

Last edited:

brb1006

To be fair, the Seaworld LPS ride is the worst example of a trackless ride. Tokyo and Hong Kong are better compared to SeaWorld.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom