Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
EDIT: oops... go here instead...

For spoil-filled reviews and video of the ride...

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

Do you know them? Roy and Brennan seem like great people and I really enjoy there videos!
I worked Hogwarts Express with Roy. And yes, great people indeed. It was always fun working with him

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 171

flynnibus

Premium Member
The preshow and load - wow. The ride - oh. Fun. Not a GMR replacement.

- from someone who’s subjective opinion I completely trust.

I don't think there is anyway a replacement could have touched GMR from it's heyday... the real question is 'Is it a good replacement for GMR in 2018 when most of the population didn't care about GMR's premise anymore?'

"Celebrating the golden age of hollywood and film making" is dead right now. A reality we have to accept. GMR needed to adapt.. they chose not to :/

UNCgolf

I don't think there is anyway a replacement could have touched GMR from it's heyday... the real question is 'Is it a good replacement for GMR in 2018 when most of the population didn't care about GMR's premise anymore?'

"Celebrating the golden age of hollywood and film making" is dead right now. A reality we have to accept. GMR needed to adapt.. they chose not to :/

I'm not sure that's true -- I was in LA for a wedding a couple of years ago and we went over to Hollywood for part of a day. There was a huge mass of tourists in and around the Chinese Theatre area. We also did a Paramount Studios lot tour and we got lucky that there was one time available; it was already sold out for the rest of the day. Warner Brothers was also sold out from advance bookings.

That doesn't necessarily mean anyone wants to see that type of stuff outside of LA/actual Hollywood itself, though.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not sure that's true -- I was in LA for a wedding a couple of years ago and we went over to Hollywood for part of a day. There was a huge mass of tourists in and around the Chinese Theatre area. We also did a Paramount Studios lot tour and we got lucky that there was one time available; it was already sold out for the rest of the day. Warner Brothers was also sold out from advance bookings.

That doesn't necessarily mean anyone wants to see that type of stuff outside of LA/actual Hollywood itself, though.

The studios are still a draw upon themselves... just like the studio tour at UNI is still popular. This is because when you do those tours, you see things you can relate to. It's not that movies and movie magic isn't popular.. it's that people born after the 90s really have no attachment or affinity for that earlier 'golden hollywood' era.

GMR (and the original MGM park) were set to celebrate the golden era of hollywood.. from the evolution of silent film through the talkies, to the larger than life stars of the 30s and 40s, eventually up through the blockbusters of the 70s and 80s. Sure kids today know who indiana jones is... but John Wayne... Clark Gable.. James Cagney.. you'd be lucky to get a name recognized, let alone someone who wants to go and get excited about those past stars. It's simply past their horizon of what is known and celebrated.

Personally I think the digital transition in hollywood had a big impact on how people look at old films... huge scenes like the circus maximus race in Ben Hurr, or huge car chase scenes etc are just budget commonplace in the digital era. With the 'anything is possible' digital canvas.. the awe or grandeur people used to see when movies went some new way is lost IMO... Add into that going to the movies themselves really isn't a society norm anymore... what used to be a huge chunk of people's experiences and memories are just commoditized now into something they did on their couch, or on their phone...

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I wonder...at the opening who is going to be there? Is Chapek since he is CEO, and their isn’t a head of Parks and Resorts? Or it’s it just gonna be the president of the park?

Andrew M

General question for Wednesday, I have a FP from 1:10-2:10 for this. I am very much looking forward to it, but between the RoTR boarding pass situation and a new ride opening up I intend to be nowhere near HS when it opens.

Do you think there’s any chance they’d close the park due to capacity?

Surferboy567

General question for Wednesday, I have a FP from 1:10-2:10 for this. I am very much looking forward to it, but between the RoTR boarding pass situation and a new ride opening up I intend to be nowhere near HS when it opens.

Do you think there’s any chance they’d close the park due to capacity?

I doubt it would reach capacity...but for argument sake if any day would be the day it would reach capacity...Wednesday would be that day.

I expect it to be much more crowded then people think for runaway.

MadTeacup

So... I did the thing. Here's my opinion:

The Queue:
Entering the Chinese Theater was like a walk down memory lane. The original queue up until the preshow was beautifully intact and still includes the digital movie poster displays. The preshow is fantastic! As many people have mentioned, the effect of walking into the screen happens in a very unexpected manner and is sure to impress. I seriously geeked out over it! The station is nice. You definitely see the ghost of GMR hidden in its layout.

The ride:
I honestly had a lot of fun. It's like a fantasyland dark ride gone E-ticket. I was EXTREMELY impressed by the projection effects. Unlike Ratatouille, the floors didn't distract from the projections for me. The animatronics are largely unimpressive. Mickey and Minnie in particular just looked really... off. I would suggest not including the projection faces in the future iterations of this ride as they are my least favorite attempt at implementing this technology. The story was definitely done in the style of the new Mickey Shorts. It was very fast paced and immersed you in an environment that overloads your senses. I personally feel that the chaos detracts from the ride's storytelling, but what it lacks in its ability to hold a rider's attention, it makes up for with all the fun that is going on in the background. One of my favorite moments is one of the simplest- when you encounter Daisy Duck. The finale is cute, but nothing fantastic. The original song is quite fun and, after a few rides, will likely be stuck in your head. The ride exit is the nice little bow to tie everything together - It wasn't necessarily, but it was such a nice touch!

I'd grade MMRR as a solid B+
This ride was overall very well-executed and was a lot of fun! Judging it solely on its existence as a Disney ride, I think it's a very strong addition to a park that is lacking in family rides. The whole family will enjoy riding this together. I frequently caught myself smiling and laughing while the child-like grin never left my face. The projections are over-the-top and unlike anything I've ever seen on previous rides. I honestly never thought I'd enjoy a projection-heavy ride this much!

Does it compare to GMR? No. Why would it? It's a completely different type of ride from GMR. My heart will forever have a hole left in it from that ride's removal. Was MMRR a star in its own right? Absolutely. They just should have never put it inside this building in the first place.

Surferboy567

So...with the opening of MMRR. Do we think Disney might reinstate the Chinese theater as the park’s central icon? I always considered it as such...but I think they consider it as the hollywood tower hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom