Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

For me, having been on the major trackless rides DID lessen my enjoyment of MMRR. It didn't do anything exciting with the technology. It dances you around gigantic rooms with projections. If I hadn't ridden other trackless rides before this, I would have found more to like and be excited by.

It's better than Ratatouille, at least.

celluloid

Exactly. It is NOT cutting edge, as is the go to phrase for many. But Hagrid isn't cutting edge either. Rides don't have to be to be excellent. But "cutting edge" has a real meaning.

It can be objective or subjective. It can be advancements in technology or the term can refer to the experience or presentation of the latest and greatest. So if the user meant latest and greatest, that is fine.
The way the world works is always building on predacesdors, and who can do it not first, but best. Doing it first never lasts as long as making sure to do it best, and that is that person's opinion.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Old ride 20 minutes, new ride 4:30 seconds. Way to go Disney! You've managed to lower ride capacity even more.
Others Have smacked down the implication that ride time has much to do with capacity (I will add that it matters a lot on cycle loaders, it’s irrelevant on Omnimovers, and it is relatively unimportant on most things in between), but I will also smack down the “even more”; Disney has raised ride capacity at DHS by at least a third with TGMR and Backlot Tour replaced by AS2, SDD, a third TSM track, MFSR, ROTR, and MMRR.

So I instead give Kudos to Disney for recognizing and fixing a massive ride capacity problem (albeit belatedly; they had to open 5 rides in 2 years to make up for opening 1 ride in the 19 before that...)

You've got to be a troll.

The best two rides are objectively Rise and Shanghai's Pirates. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.
The best ride is the PeopleMover because it makes me smile for 9 solid minutes. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

A Noble Fish

Others Have smacked down the implication that ride time has much to do with capacity (I will add that it matters a lot on cycle loaders, it’s irrelevant on Omnimovers, and it is relatively unimportant on most things in between), but I will also smack down the “even more”; Disney has raised ride capacity at DHS by at least a third with TGMR and Backlot Tour replaced by AS2, SDD, a third TSM track, MFSR, ROTR, and MMRR.

So I instead give Kudos to Disney for recognizing and fixing a massive ride capacity problem (albeit belatedly; they had to open 5 rides in 2 years to make up for opening 1 ride in the 19 before that...)

The best ride is the PeopleMover because it makes me smile for 9 solid minutes. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.
@marni1971 @Castastone and others...
(Long read, but please finish it, and ponder how we can understand more around us)
Personal opinions/enjoyment are NOT equal to objective quality. Toy Story Mania! is one of my favorite rides in the world and I recommend it to everyone as a 'must-do,' but it is not on the same scale as rides like Everest, FoP, Tot, Rise, JttCotE, RSR, Indy, KS, TRON, etc. When people talk about the 'best' rides, they don't say 'personal favorite'. Those are two entirely unrelated topics, and it depends on the context. Best rides to not miss? Best rides that you like? Best rides in general usually mean the most impressive scale and well-execution. As humans, we use universal shortcuts for simpler communication because that's simply how our brains are made. In the same vein, we use WDI's ticket rating to discuss scale and not demand any longer.

@Castastone How can you seriously equate enjoyment with quality? There is typically a crossover, and enjoyment is primarily the aim, but it is usually derived from quality.

Most impressive usually means objectively (what people are usually talking about when they say 'best'), while when you personally enjoy something, it cannot be assumed that the person will find similar enjoyment due to a host of factors. They may not like heights, thrill rides, water rides, the story, slow rides, artsy rides, simulators, etc. There are too many variables to assume people will consider a ride to say opinions are the best measure.

Rides should be compared to rides in their scale, and then judged by how well they achieve it. The Ariel ride has a solid ride length and has much better sets, but it is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride that is superior due to its execution, yet they both share the same scale. You can't say Mr. Toad's is the best ride ever made, but you can say that it is one of the best C-tickets ever made and that it is one of your favorites. Alice is obviously superior to Toad, but I like Toad better, but it doesn't matter because they are both so well executed, but I'd have a hard time comparing them to

Some of my underappreciated (critically) personal favorites
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Mission: Breakout
  • PeopleMover
  • Toy Story Mania!
  • Impressions de France
  • Mission: Space
  • Living with the Land
  • The Great Movie Ride (RIP)
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures
  • The Nemo Subs
  • Walt Disney World Railroad
What I consider overrated favorites of others (I still like some of them a lot)
  • Rock n' Rollercoaster
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
  • Horizons
  • World of Motion
  • Body Wars
  • Space Mountain
  • Ratatouille
  • 20K Leagues Under the Sea (TDS)
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room
  • The Iron Man Experience
Yet, who am I to say that you can't enjoy these more? YOU CAN! But I'd hesitate to rely on varying opinions for this reason. If you want a fun ride? TSM and M:B. If you want a suspenseful ride? HM, and Tot. If you want the best rides? Rise and Shanghai's Pirates. Ride placement is a different can of worms into overall themed design, but it can extend its effectiveness.

It's very hard to say a specific 'best,' but you can put them in tiers rather easily based on scale and execution in today's world: mind-blowing.
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Shanghai's Pirates
Then (pardon if I forget something or if something is on the fence)... These are a mix of large scale, and well-executed E-tickets.
  • Flight of Passage
  • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
  • Mystic Manor
  • Radiator Springs Racers
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Tower of Terror
  • Indiana Jones Adventure
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Forbidden Journey
  • Splash Mountain (MK/TDL)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (DL/DLP)
  • The Haunted Mansion(s)
  • Spiderman (IOA)
  • TRON
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  • Expedition Everest
Most E-tickets don't make the list, simply because they aren't as perfectly executed when we're talking this scale of attraction. There is still quite a lot of variation between them, and their scale can wildly very.

The best (meaning most ambitious and well-executed), is Shanghai's POTC and Rise. That's not up for debate because we've already been able to analyze them both, and no other rides are as mind-blowing and graceful as those. One or the other may be better and you may like others more (I'm partial to Mystic Manor), but on a scale and execution level, they are categorically in their own league. Journey to the Center of the Earth is awesome, and I've had the chance to ride it and let me tell you it lives up to the hype and definitely one of the best rides on Earth. However, while Rise and Shanghai's POTC don't detract from it, you can safely say that Journey is not as impressive as its execution reaches the others but not its scale. They are going for different things entirely, and they all achieve them very well, but to tell someone an opinion of what people consider 'best' when they ask it, would be very misleading.

Pirates in Disneyland is passive, and effectively does the best of all similarly executed, slow-moving rides (it even manages great pacing!). In contrast, Shanghai's combines controlled movement in the action for an even tighter grip on pacing, lighting, and the music as well, with doing things you could not do in real life, and Rise blurs realism even further. Shanghai's Pirates and Disneyland's are so unrelated, they need to stop being compared so similarly. There are more effective comparisons in the same way that Rise compares more with Shanghai's Pirates and Indy than other trackless rides unless we are comparing the ride system specifically.

I'd consider Rise to be the best ride because it transcends realism in a way that is unbelievable, but Shanghai Pirates is on that playing field in ambition/scale/execution plane, so it's highly difficult to truly judge them in a first and second kind of way. Other rides frankly just cannot through no fault of their own compete in this metric.

While a masterpiece, it's like saying Citizen Kane is the best film today when many of the films since are superior due to the gains we have made in filmmaking and through its revolution. Only a problem too is that the original Pirates has been ironically downgraded over time, taking away some of the wit and charm that made it so special. When today's animatronic technology, lighting, ride system, sets, and budgets combine to make a superior technical demo if you execute it right, older rides have a hard time competing.

The focus is also on different areas, it doesn't matter that there is only a handful of animatronics in Shanghai's Pirates because the ride's focus is entirely different. The ones that are there are however realistic, and an effective narrative device. In Disneyland, you are observing a town comedically go in flames pillaged by pirates, which is still highly effective. In Shanghai, however, that ride finds itself in a far better condition to tie its scale and execution in a bow to claim victory in a 'best today' category. Victory over its predecessor (in name only) makes sense when you've been on them both. Neither hurt each other and they most certainly are not comparable other than A. Pirates theme. B. Water ride. C. Easter Eggs and D. Large scaled E-tickets. In today's environment, theme park rides keep pushing the limit when they have the budget and artistic metric. To wow someone (not through thrill) takes an incredibly ambitious scale and near-perfect execution to do so, and today's environment lends it to two attractions on Earth. Disneyland's Pirates is executed very well on a large scale, but the format of the ride frankly just isn't as Wowing and realistically convincing as the aforementioned 'F-tickets'. If we step back and put our biases aside, it's damn near impossible to logically argue that they aren't the most mind-blowing rides on Earth.

However, films and rides like that can still be appreciated as revolutionary and equally enjoyable/well crafted TO THIS DAY. It's very hard to see a logical argument where the PeopleMover tops Flight of Passage unless we're talking about the purpose, ride variation in the park, and personal enjoyment.

For clarity's sake, you're best off precursing opinions or objectives when you can. We are human, 100% objective is, in theory, impossible, but 99% gets the job done, and is how everything around us works, from business moves to creative and legal ones.

There is an abundance of elements that go into a ride's story and effectiveness, and some great rides don't need it at all (KS). Pacing, sets, lighting, musical score, ride vehicle (cinematography), thrill (as a story element), scale, writing, etc. all band together. Some people won't even care about pacing a story or those things at all, but like in cinema, theme park attractions are an art form, and while there are many different genres of rides and films, the most effective can be measured to the best of our ability on a technical level.

Whether you enjoy The Dark Knight or Pulp Fiction, or even a musical like Hamilton is completely up to you, but as an art, it's obvious how incredible the cinematography, directing, editing, writing, acting, production design, score, choreography, and much more can be. Rides can be measured in the exact same way. I'm not attempting to sound braggadocious or to offer a finite solution, but I am challenging to apply self-awareness and understand the world around you. What I am saying isn't an opinion, I am trying my best to effectively gauge art. Everyone on this website and who experiences art does so. Some can do it better with varying knowledge on a subject, and sometimes you just may never get something, but all things considered, objectivity DOES exist, and all of us will be wrong from time to time, in theory.

Dumbo is not a better ride than The Haunted Mansion because someone may like it more.
It's just, oh wait, a different type of ride serving its purpose, and someone can like it more, and they would be correct: they like it more.
Nobody can tell you not too, but you still can see why other rides are superior. They serve DIFFERENT purposes and can coexist, but to consider personal opinions the 'best' is very flawed for near-universal agreement on the phrase.

If we lose sight of the ability to objectively conclude things (with only slight variation) and adapt to new knowledge, then it's a slippery slope that we can never grasp reality around us.
Maybe the term 'the best' is an impossible term to properly use. Perhaps 'most impressive' is far better for this metric. Yet, when compared to the alternatives, it seems to be a difficult feat in ignoring that the alternatives offer far too much variation and a sporadic understanding of the artform of theme parks. Martin Scorcese doesn't even get it!

It's difficult to suspend disbelief on an otherworldly scale with effectively no gaps in the execution.

In retrospect, saying that Rise and Shanghai's Pirates are 'the best' two as a fact is misleading because I didn't clarify what 'best' means. They are the largest-scaled and well-executed, disbelief suspending rides ever built, and typically when we talk about good rides those are the qualities prescribed to 'the best'. Not just a random favorite. What's clear, however, is we must actually discuss logically instead of emotionally to get answers. Part of logic can be emotional--a feeling of fun--I caution excessive dependence on it akin to a drug that denies understanding of not only theme parks but our reality. When politics turns into emotions, authoritarians are more likely to arise. When film critics praise Transformers 5 while attacking Ratatouille, it shows that they have a lack of understanding of what cinema as an art form is.

When Mickey opens, people need to keep their opinions in a separate category from how 'good' it actually is. We need to be able to gauge it, and it's impossible if you say it's your favorite. In regards to what exactly, then?

You can dissect this and slash it in whatever way you want, but anyone with a head on their shoulders knows what I am talking about.

Anyway, I'm intrigued to see where Mickey will sit. It's definitely an E, but hopefully, it's one of the best on Earth and a favorite to many!

EDIT:
I was wrong about objectivity. I misused the word.

The inherent human subjectivity makes objectivity impossible. The factor that allows us subjectively to understand not firm aspects of the world is reason and logic, which also allows us to gauge the quality of a product.

I do not want to cloud my entire argument with X. I think there is a really good conversation that needs to be had, and I excessively have placed too much focus on using the word objective, like you can be a god or something, which is not true. I was wrong about that and the criticisms are correct!

I'm still quite certain, that what makes Rise (and Shanghai Pirates) so good is the sum of the objective parts of a ride to form a coherent experience. That's the word I've been looking for. Logic is still an argument which is why it can be countered. On a logical basis, I do think that Rise and Shanghai Pirates are the most Wowing attractions, which would typically be a reason cited for calling it the 'best' as it executes many objectives. Longest ride, most of X, doesn't matter, but it's the combination of varying aspects that does. Thank you!

Just like you can tell when a movie is well-made, you understand it subconsciously (or consciously) based on an understanding of what makes a good film. It's logical but still subjective. Logic is what takes us the extra mile. I really appreciate all the interesting viewpoints because it has completely made me question an entire aspect of my worldview. Perhaps a combination of the two will be beautiful!

Logic can take us there with the subjective, while objective isn't the right word. My apologies, but reading back the rest of my argument stands which is what I wanted to place my focus on anyway. I got clouded in the wrong wording, but hopefully, we are mature enough to understand it all.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For me, having been on the major trackless rides DID lessen my enjoyment of MMRR. It didn't do anything exciting with the technology. It dances you around gigantic rooms with projections. If I hadn't ridden other trackless rides before this, I would have found more to like and be excited by.

It's better than Ratatouille, at least.

It's amazing how much you agree with this poster...

Thoughts:

1.) If someone goes in "blind" and rides this before Rise of the Resistance, it will diminish how special Rise is. It's weird have two trackless ride systems in the same park, opening so close to each other.

2.) This ride feels inefficient in that it uses the massive space of GMR just because it "can". Many of the rooms feel gigantic and almost barren outside of projections. I'd prefer each room to be smaller and not feel like we are dancing around a warehouse. It's odd to duplicate this attraction in Disneyland.

yensidtlaw1969

The best (meaning best made), is Shanghai's POTC and Rise. That's not up for debate, one or the other may be better and you may like others more (I'm partial to Mystic Manor), but on a scale and execution level, they are categorically in their own league.
Not to cherry pick (and even less to drift off-topic), but I would debate that idea, arguing that DL's original Pirates is similar in scale and better in execution than Shanghai's Pirates. While a less dynamic experience, it is much more seamless and similarly ambitious as a physical production. Not to mention DL's dozens and dozens of animatronics vs. SDL's . . . 4. And this is without offering it points for doing it all 50 years prior to the SDL attraction.

I see what you're trying to say, and I understand that Rise and SDL Pirates exist in a league of their own on certain terms, but your characterization of the phrases "objectively the best" and "that's not up for debate" is flawed and probably not the hill to die on.

There are other ways to make your point without presenting yourself, intentionally or otherwise, as the arbiter of truth. I suspect it would be worth trying to find them if you want people to get off your back.

A Noble Fish

Shanghai’s Pirates looks dull. The skeleton to Jack Sparrow part looks great, but most of the rest of the ride is just movie screens and barely any animatronics.
I'm assuming you have not ridden it. The Jack Sparrow scene doesn't even scrape the surface of how impressive it is. Hopefully, Mickey turns into a great ride and you get to actually ride it.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I see what you're trying to say, and I understand that Rise and SDL Pirates exist in a league of their own on certain terms, but your characterization of the phrases "objectively the best" and "that's not up for debate" is flawed and probably not the hill to die on.

This.

When debating a theme park ride (or most things, really), objective is almost never the proper word to use unless you're talking about specific, finite things like square footage, cost to build, number of AAs, etc. -- essentially anything else you're going to discuss, including nebulous ideas like complexity and execution, are going to be subjective. For example, Formula Rossa is objectively the fastest roller coaster in the world (at least as measured by mph/kmh). To some people, that alone automatically makes it the best, but it's certainly not objectively the best.

Additionally, although I'm personally not a fan, I imagine there are a lot of people who would argue that Forbidden Journey is just as impressive/complex as Rise or SDL Pirates.

Last edited:

A Noble Fish

When talking about a theme park ride (or most things, really), objective is almost never the proper word to use unless you're talking about specific, finite things like square footage, cost to build, number of AAs, etc. -- essentially anything else you're going to discuss, including nebulous ideas like complexity and execution, are going to be subjective. For example, Formula Rossa is objectively the fastest roller coaster in the world (at least as measured by mph/kmh).
That absolutely, could not be farther from the truth. If I am an Oscars voter, I can vote objectively on best film editing, cinematography, etc. Best Picture is supposed to be a nearly-perfectly summed up execution of what goes into it. Themepark rides can be ART, just like cinema can be.

People are biased, and make mistakes. There's a lot that goes into it, but recognition CAN be found. Otherwise, cinema would look like Bollywood.

The best film critics attempt to leave personal opinion from an objective measure. It's not an exact science like we can measure carbon in the atmosphere or Oxygen in our blood, but the best ones can get very, very close. Collectively, the ones who know of the technicalities of film or rides can get even more accurate results.
Additionally, although I'm personally not a fan, I imagine there are a lot of people who would argue that Forbidden Journey is just as impressive/complex as Rise or SDL Pirates.
Forbidden Journey is out of this world, one of my favorites, and among the objectively best rides ever made, but it does not suspend disbelief to the level, and quite have the same scale as Shanghai's Pirates and Rise. An argument could definitely be made though, it's excellent. If 'the best' means suspending your disbelief then Rise and Shanghai's Pirates are hard to argue against.

You might find 1/100 people that have actually ridden Shanghai's Pirates that don't understand its achievement. This is an Orlando forum and most people that have not ridden it are relying on videos that can't capture how impressive it really is. You can't really get the gist of it like other rides due to its scale and screen elements. I'm really hoping that Mickey on this forum will not have tons of people watching videos and concluding based on that.
EDIT: See below

Last edited:

UNCgolf

That absolutely, could not be farther from the truth. If I am an Oscars voter, I can vote objectively on best film editing, cinematography, etc. Best Picture is supposed to be a nearly-perfectly summed up execution of what goes into it. Themepark rides can be ART, just like cinema can be.

This is incredibly wrong and you seem to fundamentally misunderstand the difference between objective and subjective statements. Nothing about the Oscars or Oscar voting is objective. If it was objective, there would be no voting involved -- it would be a simple fact. It could be measured and thus proven that this film had the best editing, or the best score, or whatever else. I don't know if you think subjectivity is somehow lesser than objectivity and that's why you're trying to force objectivity in this discussion, but it isn't. There's nothing wrong with subjectivity.

I thought I laid it out in my last post, but I'll try again to show you the difference between an objective statement (one that can be proven) and a subjective statement (one that cannot):
1. American Adventure is the longest attraction at Disney World. This is an objective statement because it is specifically measurable and thus can be proven correct. A person will spend more time in American Adventure than they will in any other attraction (assuming they are functioning normally and without breakdowns etc.)

2. American Adventure is the best attraction at Disney World. This is a subjective statement because it cannot be measured or verified factually. There is no way to prove this statement.

Everything else you are arguing is fine. There's nothing wrong with your underlying logic. But when you keep misusing the word objective/objectively, it undermines everything you are saying.

SplashJacket

I rode it in 2016 prior to visiting Anaheim and the Asian parks and it received my personal award for the best ride in the world. Very impressive ride, however, I've found that each time I have turned to it I have liked it less and less. I definitely think lists of the best rides are fluid.

That being said, I can say that without a doubt, my first ride on Rise was the best ride experience I have ever had, I was mindblown. Rode it two more times thereafter, all with the same route. The excitement and awe was definitely still there, just toned-down.

I am very interested to see how well Mickey fairs in terms of comparisons. It is definitely good to have the ride saturate before jumping to conclusions, but the initial wow factor of the ride and its overall rideability are what I give the most emphasis to. Trackless rides, when done right, lend themselves well to re-rideability due to the seemingly random vehicle movements. Very excited to experience it, maybe this summer or more likely, this fall.

This whole post has been a large digression, but I'd add to it. It's interesting that thrill rides have a very innate re-rideability to them as the experience is more force based over perception based. I guess it is why I like Splash so much, there is very little inherent thrill, but the combination of dark ride elements, thrill, and water makes it lend itself to re-rideability.

Very interesting, now there's a part of me that wants to casually debate ride rankings for hours... 😂

yensidtlaw1969

People are biased, and make mistakes. There's a lot that goes into it, but recognition CAN be found. Otherwise, cinema would look like Bollywood.

The best film critics attempt to leave personal opinion from an objective measure. It's not an exact science like we can measure carbon in the atmosphere or Oxygen in our blood, but the best ones can get very, very close. Collectively, the ones who know of the technicalities of film or rides can get even more accurate results.
There IS a difference between working to make an objective judgement and stating a quantifiable truth. I can recognize that Toy Story Land is popular without feeling myself that it's worth the ground it stands on, but that doesn't give me any more power to dictate where it stands in a ranking of park offerings. Not being able to see that difference can sometimes be put down to human folly, but refusing to accept that it exists shows a lack of maturity.

Objective means something is true regardless of opinion. The Oscars are a celebration of general consensus of opinion, not demonstration of fact. Otherwise no one would NEED vote, because all the votes would be the same. We know that often times they are not. And not only that, but you cannot even guarantee that the style of voting is the same - I'm sure some people work hard to vote objectively - which, as you said, is still imperfect - and I'm sure others consider their vote a very personal decision to be based exclusively on their opinion.

UNCgolf's point is that you can state that things are objectively true about quantifiable statistics - the square footage of the show-building, the size and number of projection domes, the amount of dollars spent on an attraction - but you cannot objectively call it "the best". Even winning Best Picture at the Oscars means that most people voted that way, not necessarily that everyone voted that way, which means the matter is not objective.

yensidtlaw1969

I am very interested to see how well Mickey fairs in terms of comparisons. It is definitely good to have the ride saturate before jumping to conclusions, but the initial wow factor of the ride and its overall rideability are what I give the most emphasis to. Trackless rides, when done right, lend themselves well to re-rideability due to the seemingly random vehicle movements. Very excited to experience it, maybe this summer or more likely, this fall.
Thank you for doing the good work to bring this thread back on topic 😙

UNCgolf

There IS a difference between working to make an objective judgement and stating a quantifiable truth. I can recognize that Toy Story Land is popular without feeling myself that it's worth the ground it stands on, but that doesn't give me any more power to dictate where it stands in a ranking of park offerings. Not being able to see that difference can sometimes be put down to human folly, but refusing to accept that it exists shows a lack of maturity.

Objective means something is true regardless of opinion. The Oscars are a celebration of general consensus of opinion, not demonstration of fact. Otherwise no one would NEED vote, because all the votes would be the same. We know that often times they are not. And not only that, but you cannot even guarantee that the style of voting is the same - I'm sure some people work hard to vote objectively - which, as you said, is still imperfect - and I'm sure others consider their vote a very personal decision to be based exclusively on their opinion.

UNCgolf's point is that you can state that things are objectively true about quantifiable statistics - the square footage of the show-building, the size and number of projection domes, the amount of dollars spent on an attraction - but you cannot objectively call it "the best". Even winning Best Picture at the Oscars means that most people voted that way, not necessarily that everyone voted that way, which means the matter is not objective.

Right. Some people absolutely try to be objective (and everyone should strive to be, but many do not), and that's a good thing. But that's a different type of objectivity/subjectivity than making objective/subjective statements. It's the same term, but has different meanings in context. An objective statement is a statement of verifiable fact (or true regardless of opinion, as you said). A person striving for objectivity is a person trying to make judgments without allowing their personal biases to intervene -- it doesn't mean that their statements are now objective simply because they are attempting to be objective. Those are two different things.

Anyways, I am hopeful that MMRR will be a great ride! There are some things about it that sound excellent and others that sound questionable, but we will get to see for ourselves soon enough.

Last edited:

A Noble Fish

This is incredibly wrong and you seem to fundamentally misunderstand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. Nothing about the Oscars or Oscar voting is objective. If it was objective, there would be no voting involved -- it would be a simple fact. It could be measured and thus proven that this film had the best editing, or the best score, or whatever else. I don't know if you think subjectivity is somehow lesser than objectivity and that's why you're trying to force objectivity in this discussion, but it isn't. There's nothing wrong with subjectivity. A film critic is certainly attempting to be objective, but that's still not the same thing that we are talking about here.

I thought I laid it out in my last post, but I'll try again to show you the difference between an objective statement and a subjective statement:
1. American Adventure is the longest attraction at Disney World. This is an objective statement because it is specifically measurable and thus can be proven correct. A person will spend more time in American Adventure than they will in any other attraction (assuming they are functioning normally and without breakdowns etc.)

2. American Adventure is the best attraction at Disney World. This is a subjective statement because it cannot be measured or verified factually. There is no way to prove this statement.

Everything else you are arguing is fine. There's nothing wrong with your underlying logic. But when you keep misusing the word objective/objectively, it undermines everything you are saying.

You know I think you are right. The inherent voting aspect adds a level of human subjectivity. The factor that allows us subjectively to understand not precise aspects of the world is reason and logic, which also allows us to gauge the quality of a product.

I do not want to cloud my entire argument with X. I think there is a really good conversation that needs to be had, and I excessively have placed too much focus on using the word objective, like you can be a god or something, which is not true. I was wrong about that and you are right.

I'm still quite certain, that what makes Rise (and Shanghai Pirates) so good is the sum of the objective parts of a ride to form a coherent experience. That's the word I've been looking for. Logic is still an argument which is why it can be countered. On a logical basis, I do think that Rise and Shanghai Pirates are the most Wowing attractions, which would typically be a reason cited for calling it the 'best' as it executes many objectives. Longest ride, most of X, doesn't matter, but it's the combination of varying aspects that does. Thank you!

Logic can take us there with the subjective, while objective isn't the right word. My apologies, but like you said the rest of my argument stands which is what I wanted to place my focus on anyway. I got clouded in the wrong wording.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

You know I think you are right. The inherent voting aspect adds a level of human subjectivity. The factor that allows us subjectively to understand not precise aspects of the world is reason and logic, which also allows us to gauge the quality of a product.

I do not want to cloud my entire argument with X. I think there is a really good conversation that needs to be had, and I excessively have placed too much focus on using the word objective, like you can be a god or something, which is not true. I was wrong about that and you are right.

Logic can take us there with the subjective, while objective isn't the right word. My apologies, but like you said the rest of my argument stands which is what I wanted to place my focus on anyway. I got clouded in the wrong wording.

It's refreshing to see someone actually admit they made a mistake and move past it; it's rare and a great trait in a person, so good on you!

I don't want to keep dragging this thread off-topic so I'm going to leave it at that, but this post is legitimately praiseworthy and I just wanted to say that.

To get back on topic -- how do you think MMRR will compare to the aforementioned rides?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
@marni1971 @Castastone and others...
(Long read, but please finish it, and ponder how we can understand more around us)
Personal opinions/enjoyment are NOT equal to objective quality. Toy Story Mania! is one of my favorite rides in the world and I recommend it to everyone as a 'must-do,' but it is not on the same scale as rides like Everest, FoP, Tot, Rise, JttCotE, RSR, Indy, KS, TRON, etc. When people talk about the 'best' rides, they don't say 'personal favorite'. Those are two entirely unrelated topics, and it depends on the context. Best rides to not miss? Best rides that you like? Best rides in general usually mean the most impressive scale and well-execution. As humans, we use universal shortcuts for simpler communication because that's simply how our brains are made. In the same vein, we use WDI's ticket rating to discuss scale and not demand any longer.

@Castastone How can you seriously equate enjoyment with quality? There is typically a crossover, and enjoyment is primarily the aim, but it is usually derived from quality.

Most impressive usually means objectively (what people are usually talking about when they say 'best'), while when you personally enjoy something, it cannot be assumed that the person will find similar enjoyment due to a host of factors. They may not like heights, thrill rides, water rides, the story, slow rides, artsy rides, simulators, etc. There are too many variables to assume people will consider a ride to say opinions are the best measure.

Rides should be compared to rides in their scale, and then judged by how well they achieve it. The Ariel ride has a solid ride length and has much better sets, but it is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride that is superior due to its execution, yet they both share the same scale. You can't say Mr. Toad's is the best ride ever made, but you can say that it is one of the best C-tickets ever made and that it is one of your favorites. Alice is obviously superior to Toad, but I like Toad better, but it doesn't matter because they are both so well executed, but I'd have a hard time comparing them to

Some of my underappreciated (critically) personal favorites
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Mission: Breakout
  • PeopleMover
  • Toy Story Mania!
  • Impressions de France
  • Mission: Space
  • Living with the Land
  • The Great Movie Ride (RIP)
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures
  • The Nemo Subs
  • Walt Disney World Railroad
What I consider overrated favorites of others (I still like some of them a lot)
  • Rock n' Rollercoaster
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
  • Horizons
  • World of Motion
  • Body Wars
  • Space Mountain
  • Ratatouille
  • 20K Leagues Under the Sea (TDS)
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room
  • The Iron Man Experience
Yet, who am I to say that you can't enjoy these more? YOU CAN! But I'd hesitate to rely on varying opinions for this reason. If you want a fun ride? TSM and M:B. If you want a suspenseful ride? HM, and Tot. If you want the best rides? Rise and Shanghai's Pirates. Ride placement is a different can of worms into overall themed design, but it can extend its effectiveness.

It's very hard to say a specific 'best,' but you can put them in tiers rather easily based on scale and execution in today's world: mind-blowing.
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Shanghai's Pirates
Then (pardon if I forget something or if something is on the fence)... These are a mix of large scale, and well-executed E-tickets.
  • Flight of Passage
  • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
  • Mystic Manor
  • Radiator Springs Racers
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Tower of Terror
  • Indiana Jones Adventure
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Forbidden Journey
  • Splash Mountain (MK/TDL)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (DL/DLP)
  • The Haunted Mansion(s)
  • Spiderman (IOA)
  • TRON
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt
  • Expedition Everest
Most E-tickets don't make the list, simply because they aren't as perfectly executed when we're talking this scale of attraction. There is still quite a lot of variation between them, and their scale can wildly very.

The best (meaning most ambitious and well-executed), is Shanghai's POTC and Rise. That's not up for debate because we've already been able to analyze them both, and no other rides are as mind-blowing and graceful as those. One or the other may be better and you may like others more (I'm partial to Mystic Manor), but on a scale and execution level, they are categorically in their own league. Journey to the Center of the Earth is awesome, and I've had the chance to ride it and let me tell you it lives up to the hype and definitely one of the best rides on Earth. However, while Rise and Shanghai's POTC don't detract from it, you can safely say that Journey is not as impressive as its execution reaches the others but not its scale. They are going for different things entirely, and they all achieve them very well, but to tell someone an opinion of what people consider 'best' when they ask it, would be very misleading.

Pirates in Disneyland is passive, and effectively does the best of all similarly executed, slow-moving rides (it even manages great pacing!). In contrast, Shanghai's combines controlled movement in the action for an even tighter grip on pacing, lighting, and the music as well, with doing things you could not do in real life, and Rise blurs realism even further. Shanghai's Pirates and Disneyland's are so unrelated, they need to stop being compared so similarly. There are more effective comparisons in the same way that Rise compares more with Shanghai's Pirates and Indy than other trackless rides unless we are comparing the ride system specifically.

I'd consider Rise to be the best ride because it transcends realism in a way that is unbelievable, but Shanghai Pirates is on that playing field in ambition/scale/execution plane, so it's highly difficult to truly judge them in a first and second kind of way. Other rides frankly just cannot through no fault of their own compete in this metric.

While a masterpiece, it's like saying Citizen Kane is the best film today when many of the films since are superior due to the gains we have made in filmmaking and through its revolution. Only a problem too is that the original Pirates has been ironically downgraded over time, taking away some of the wit and charm that made it so special. When today's animatronic technology, lighting, ride system, sets, and budgets combine to make a superior technical demo if you execute it right, older rides have a hard time competing.

The focus is also on different areas, it doesn't matter that there is only a handful of animatronics in Shanghai's Pirates because the ride's focus is entirely different. The ones that are there are however realistic, and an effective narrative device. In Disneyland, you are observing a town comedically go in flames pillaged by pirates, which is still highly effective. In Shanghai, however, that ride finds itself in a far better condition to tie its scale and execution in a bow to claim victory in a 'best today' category. Victory over its predecessor (in name only) makes sense when you've been on them both. Neither hurt each other and they most certainly are not comparable other than A. Pirates theme. B. Water ride. C. Easter Eggs and D. Large scaled E-tickets. In today's environment, theme park rides keep pushing the limit when they have the budget and artistic metric. To wow someone (not through thrill) takes an incredibly ambitious scale and near-perfect execution to do so, and today's environment lends it to two attractions on Earth. Disneyland's Pirates is executed very well on a large scale, but the format of the ride frankly just isn't as Wowing and realistically convincing as the aforementioned 'F-tickets'. If we step back and put our biases aside, it's damn near impossible to logically argue that they aren't the most mind-blowing rides on Earth.

However, films and rides like that can still be appreciated as revolutionary and equally enjoyable/well crafted TO THIS DAY. It's very hard to see a logical argument where the PeopleMover tops Flight of Passage unless we're talking about the purpose, ride variation in the park, and personal enjoyment.

For clarity's sake, you're best off precursing opinions or objectives when you can. We are human, 100% objective is, in theory, impossible, but 99% gets the job done, and is how everything around us works, from business moves to creative and legal ones.

There is an abundance of elements that go into a ride's story and effectiveness, and some great rides don't need it at all (KS). Pacing, sets, lighting, musical score, ride vehicle (cinematography), thrill (as a story element), scale, writing, etc. all band together. Some people won't even care about pacing a story or those things at all, but like in cinema, theme park attractions are an art form, and while there are many different genres of rides and films, the most effective can be measured to the best of our ability on a technical level.

Whether you enjoy The Dark Knight or Pulp Fiction, or even a musical like Hamilton is completely up to you, but as an art, it's obvious how incredible the cinematography, directing, editing, writing, acting, production design, score, choreography, and much more can be. Rides can be measured in the exact same way. I'm not attempting to sound braggadocious or to offer a finite solution, but I am challenging to apply self-awareness and understand the world around you. What I am saying isn't an opinion, I am trying my best to effectively gauge art. Everyone on this website and who experiences art does so. Some can do it better with varying knowledge on a subject, and sometimes you just may never get something, but all things considered, objectivity DOES exist, and all of us will be wrong from time to time, in theory.

Dumbo is not a better ride than The Haunted Mansion because someone may like it more.
It's just, oh wait, a different type of ride serving its purpose, and someone can like it more, and they would be correct: they like it more.
Nobody can tell you not too, but you still can see why other rides are superior. They serve DIFFERENT purposes and can coexist, but to consider personal opinions the 'best' is very flawed for near-universal agreement on the phrase.

If we lose sight of the ability to objectively conclude things (with only slight variation) and adapt to new knowledge, then it's a slippery slope that we can never grasp reality around us.
Maybe the term 'the best' is an impossible term to properly use. Perhaps 'most impressive' is far better for this metric. Yet, when compared to the alternatives, it seems to be a difficult feat in ignoring that the alternatives offer far too much variation and a sporadic understanding of the artform of theme parks. Martin Scorcese doesn't even get it!

It's difficult to suspend disbelief on an otherworldly scale with effectively no gaps in the execution.

In retrospect, saying that Rise and Shanghai's Pirates are 'the best' two as a fact is misleading because I didn't clarify what 'best' means. They are the largest-scaled and well-executed, disbelief suspending rides ever built, and typically when we talk about good rides those are the qualities prescribed to 'the best'. Not just a random favorite. What's clear, however, is we must actually discuss logically instead of emotionally to get answers. Part of logic can be emotional--a feeling of fun--I caution excessive dependence on it akin to a drug that denies understanding of not only theme parks but our reality. When politics turns into emotions, authoritarians are more likely to arise. When film critics praise Transformers 5 while attacking Ratatouille, it shows that they have a lack of understanding of what cinema as an art form is.

When Mickey opens, people need to keep their opinions in a separate category from how 'good' it actually is. We need to be able to gauge it, and it's impossible if you say it's your favorite. In regards to what exactly, then?

You can dissect this and slash it in whatever way you want, but anyone with a head on their shoulders knows what I am talking about.

Anyway, I'm intrigued to see where Mickey will sit. It's definitely an E, but hopefully, it's one of the best on Earth and a favorite to many!

EDIT:

The inherent human subjectivity makes objectivity impossible. The factor that allows us subjectively to understand not firm aspects of the world is reason and logic, which also allows us to gauge the quality of a product.

I do not want to cloud my entire argument with X. I think there is a really good conversation that needs to be had, and I excessively have placed too much focus on using the word objective, like you can be a god or something, which is not true. I was wrong about that and the criticisms are correct!

Just like you can tell when a movie is well-made, you understand it subconsciously (or consciously) based on an understanding of what makes a good film. It's logical but still subjective. Logic is what takes us the extra mile. I really appreciate all the interesting viewpoints because it has completely made me question an entire aspect of my worldview. Perhaps a combination of the two will be beautiful!

Logic can take us there with the subjective, while objective isn't the right word. My apologies, but reading back the rest of my argument stands which is what I wanted to place my focus on anyway. I got clouded in the wrong wording, but hopefully, we are mature enough to understand it all.
I made it very clear how I measured the best: minutes of consecutive smiles placed on my face. It’s measurable, which makes it more objective than the impressiveness or scale or ambition of a ride.

I’ll explain it again with my least favorite ride at WDW: The MK version of POTC. Subjectivity, I don’t understand the story, everyone is taking at once so I can’t ever figure out what is happening at all; to me it’s like a Navi River Journey with no cool lighting and a less exciting drop than the frozen ride. Or perhaps a Gran Fiesta Tour with a less coherent story and no pretty decor. Here’s the measurable part: objectively, it puts 0 minutes of smiles on my face. Based on my fact-based ratings system, it’s the worst ride at WDW.

Cleary my rating system is based on my personal opinion, but that’s obvious by me saying that the system is how much it makes me smile. My point is that most people enjoy MK POTC for some reason, and if it’s impossible to have an objective worst ride that isn’t based on opinion, it’s impossible to have a best ride that way too.

Disneyson

I really like this discussion, and as an actor I often wonder about quantifying awards and such.

When I was in China and headed to HKDL, a lot of people would recommend the RC Racer half-pipe attraction, completely unprompted (it happened at least three times).I would ask “Yeah, but don’t you like Mystic Manor more?” They would reply “Yes, but I like Toy Story, though. It’s fun!”

Thinking of the background of those that I talked to got me thinking of attractions in a very different way, for sure. The people I spoke to don’t have regular access to thrilling pirate ship attractions at county fairs because there is no space to put them in China. Due to the lack of films from America during a period of time, they would not have been familiar with characters between Snow White’s time and the Lion King, and Toy Story might have been one of the very few Disney touchstones in their childhoods. Being outdoors in a park setting might also add to the appeal, given the generally indoor days most people in China experience.

There IS a reason why there has been an uproar in the homogeneity of Oscars voters, and why we ought to give out awards based on the opinions of a variety of different people with different values and thoughts on the nominees.

In this way, one way to measure success is to look at the background of the average rider for this attraction to see if it will achieve any success... and it’s likely that the target demographic here will neither be a big fan of classic movies nor possibly even the Star Wars franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom