Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

UNCgolf

Oh yeah. Haven't ridden it yet but Rise seems like more than a simple dark ride to me. Guess I cant say till I ride it but I'm looking forward to the Railway experience of slowly going through detailed cartoon scenes.

From what I've read about MMRR I think it's going to be pretty similar to RotR. It sounds like it will have more movement etc. than your standard dark ride.

No Name

So, just reflecting on this ride, when was the last time we got a big ambitious dark ride like this? It's nice to have a mixup from all the family coasters.
Oh yeah. Haven't ridden it yet but Rise seems like more than a simple dark ride to me. Guess I cant say till I ride it but I'm looking forward to the Railway experience of slowly going through detailed cartoon scenes.

Rise is definitely more than a simple dark ride, it is a big ambitious dark ride, like you originally asked about. 🧐

Markiewong

So, just reflecting on this ride, when was the last time we got a big ambitious dark ride like this? It's nice to have a mixup from all the family coasters.
And otherwise its Ratatouille and Mystic Manor in 2014 and 2013. The second being a typical classic Disney darkride.

UNCgolf

And otherwise its Ratatouille and Mystic Manor in 2014 and 2013. The second being a typical classic Disney darkride.

When was the last time they built one at Disney World before RotR?

I've been trying to think and can't come up with anything. They haven't built very many dark rides period in the recent past, and the ones they have built don't have much to them. Little Mermaid, Frozen Ever After, Navi River Journey... I think NRJ is easily the best of those three, but it could/should have been much better and I certainly wouldn't call it ambitious.

I'm probably forgetting something, but what's before those three? Is it all the way back to Winnie the Pooh, which isn't a good ride either? Do we have to go back to EPCOT in the 1980s for the last time they built a great dark ride in Orlando prior to RotR?

Steph15251

When was the last time they built one at Disney World before RotR?

I've been trying to think and can't come up with anything. They haven't built very many dark rides period in the recent past, and the ones they have built don't have much to them. Little Mermaid, Frozen Ever After, Navi River Journey... I think NRJ is easily the best of those three, but it could/should have been much better and I certainly wouldn't call it ambitious.

I'm probably forgetting something, but what's before those three? Is it all the way back to Winnie the Pooh, which isn't a good ride either? Do we have to go back to EPCOT in the 1980s for the last time they built a great dark ride in Orlando prior to RotR?
Nemo ,you are forgetting that.dinostar is a dark ride too but that was from the 90’s so was test track .

doctornick

From what I've read about MMRR I think it's going to be pretty similar to RotR. It sounds like it will have more movement etc. than your standard dark ride.
Yeah, I just never considered Rise to be a dark ride at all. Seemed beyond that.

Without putting words into people's mouths, I think folks are asking about rides that are akin to "classic" Disney rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc where the vehicle movement is limited and more of a conveyance to bring you between scenes and the experience is more about what you are seeing (observing) rather than your physical movement.

Rise (the main ride) is obviously a dark ride, but there is some element of "thrill" based on the nature of the experience of being integrated into the story as opposed to passively observing what is going on. As a contrast, it's not like the pirates attack you on POTC.

However, I'm not sure MMRR is going to be that passive. Yes, less than ROTR but should be more comparable to other trackless rides like Ratatoulle and Mystic Manor which have some element of being "frantic" in movement and having you be more interacting with the environment. At least I think based on insider's descriptions of the ride. Just my guess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ironically the original criteria for a dark ride was it had to be lit with ultraviolet light.

However, I'm not sure MMRR is going to be that passive. Yes, less than ROTR but should be more comparable to other trackless rides like Ratatoulle and Mystic Manor which have some element of being "frantic" in movement and having you be more interacting with the environment.
Indeed.

UNCgolf

Nemo ,you are forgetting that.dinostar is a dark ride too but that was from the 90’s so was test track .

I wouldn't consider Test Track a dark ride and Nemo is another terrible one, but I did forget to mention it. Dinosaur is borderline -- I could see calling it a dark ride, but I think it's probably got too much movement to qualify as a classic one. Doesn't it have a height requirement?

For what you are going for, I think the answer is Great Movie Ride in 1989.

I think you're right. Which is crazy. Hard to believe it was 30 years between great dark rides in Orlando.

awoogala

We entered the line and didn’t stop walking until we got to the load gates. And felt the same. We only did it since we were with first timers.

Took the same first timers on Frozenstrom. And that’s the only reason we rode that. No need or desire to do either again.
We did the nav'i ride when it first opened. it's pretty, but since I hate avatar, and it always has a line, haven't done it again. ( I always get a fp for FOP, because it's a cool ride, regardless of the movie it is based on).
I LOVED maelstrom. I like frozen a lot. We always ride frozen, but I always get a fp for it. I've ridden it about 20+ times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom